Whether you're cold all the time, hot all the time, or fluctuate between too cold and too hot, you're experiencing the common fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome symptom of temperature sensitivity. What's this symptom like? What makes it worse? What helps?
- I can tell just one degree difference in my home. If it's off a degree, either way, I am too hot or too cold. Also, if I move around the house at all, I heat up and start to sweat. When I sit down to cool off, I soon get too cold. Any change in the weather makes me hurt. I try to stay inside when it's very cold or very hot.
- —Guest nancyjean
- im 23 Somtimes im very cold then within minutes im very hot what going on with me?
extreme tempeture of the body
- as far as i can remeber my feet are stone cold to the point they turn purple and hurt so bad, and then some days there so red and hot ready to boil an egg on them, i can still here my mum telling me off thinking i had chill blades in my toes and to put socks and clothes on..... i am like everyone else who cant stand clothes i am 27yrs old and i strip everybit of clothes off and if its a little bit cold i but a thin nightie on so thin its see threw, its become a joke in my family the fact i never keep my clothes on when at home, in the hotter days i get that hot i sweat when no one else is its so embarrassing... but know i dont feel like a alien since i have just discovered others like me!!!!!!!!!!!
- —Guest amneh
burning feet syndrome
- Ive suffered from fm for 30 years now i also have cfs.Two months ago out of the blue my feet both started burning it is unbearable pain i dont mean hot i mean burning like on fire.Im now after much pain over thirty years trying to get to a pain managemt clinic because of the burning foot pain.
- —Guest laura n
- Wow, I am not the only freak on the planet!
I can be hot AND cold at the same time!! If I address either one it takes about 30 seconds to go to the other extreme. So what oh what can we do???? At least we have each other for as a mental health check.
- —Guest Mindy
Back and forth
- I'm constantly back and forth on this and it is maddening! I can be cold for 15 minutes, then put a sweater on and in less than 2 minutes, I'm dripping wet with an instant clammy sweat. I take off my sweater, now I'm damp and in a few seconds, I'm cold again. It drives me up a WALL. Of all my symptoms, this internal temperature flucuation swing and the cognitive problems, esp with talking/word finding are the worst. I can't believe I have to live like this the rest of my life, we need relief.
- —Guest Debbie
diet has helped
- I too have problems with temperature changes but it has decreased with a change in diet. I found that I'm not only celiac, I also have sensititvities to sugar and starches. When I cut these out of my diet my hot flashes stopped. When I cheat I have hot flashes in a very short time after I've eaten. I drink a dry wine in the evening or I will have hot flashes at night. My biggest problem now is not understanding what brings on all over body pain.
- —Guest Jane
- I had an especially brutal summer with my kids at the pool. I could not tolerate any direct sun or would become extemely flush, dizzy, and generally unwell. I really needed to blast air conditioning and could not spend any amount of time in the direct sun, or even shade to a certain extent. I used to be (pre CFS) a sun and sauna addict, and the temperature had absolutely no effect whatsoever. So this is yet another puzzling, annoying symptom in the CFS spectrum. Similarly, I get very cold in the winter, to the point that I am shivering in bed, without any relief (from blankets, warm bodies, etc.)
- —Guest mom2four
- In the cold and wet months, I am pretty much forced to stay at home. Even going from my house to my car can bring on pain due to the cold and wet -- or even just a dampness in the air. It's horrible. I have FMS and CF; any temperature changes cause pain too.
- —Guest JulieLu
In a Warm Climate but still feel cold
- I think there may be a lot to climate that we don't understand. I live in Sarasota,FL and I experience cold hands, feet and knees while working at the computer, perticularly when there is a fan going. Yet it's hot 81 degrees in an A/C house and fans are typically used. I may be sweating some and still have chilly feet even with socks on and the same with my legs, if not covered they feel chilly. Recently I visited Miami and felt more comfortable there even though the temperature was the same or even a bit warmer. Very confusing....maybe I should move to Miami? My health seems good but I did have Malaria about 30 years ago. Ideas appreciated.
- —Guest Ron C
- I also suffer with sensitivity to either temperature; and it can change in a second! One minute I`m feeling like I`m going to burn up, the next, I`m shivering! Also, if I do get cold (especially my feet) I cannot get warm without help; heated pads or blankets or a hot bath. When I am cold my pain is much worse. I have had Fibromyalgia for at least 18 years.
Heat and Dampness almost unbearable
- I moved to a basement apt in Wintertime! I could not get warm slept with so many blanket and quilts getting out of bed was agony adding to my Fibromyalgia Pain moved but took about a month to get the painful chill out of my bones, now heat sensitivity is a nightmare I have a job where you can not regulate the heat others are comfortable as the sweat literally drips off of me. I cut my hair short because I couldn't stand the out of the shower look and it didn't help! My doctor thinks the Savella meds for FM/CFS may have caused the sweats. Am changing to Cymbalta now and I pray that it helps I am aware the side effect of that can also be sweating but maybe I will respond better to this! At this point I will try anything!!! Thank you so much for this web site you saved my Sanity!!!
- —Guest Cheryl Kennedy
- I NEVER KNEW ANYONE ELSE FELT THIS WAY ABOUT CLOTHES. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO EXPLAIN HOW MUCH I HATE TO WEAR CLOTHES AND HOW THEY HURT MY BODY EXPECIALLY JEAN. WHEN I GET HOME I HAVE TO CHANGE IMMEDIATELY PUT ON A LOUNGER OR SPAGHETTI STRAP NIGHTGOWN...AND SLEEPING IN BED, SITTING ON COUCH ,RECLINER OT KITCHEN CHAIR IS TORTURE, EXTREME BURNING SCREECHING PAIN. i DON'T FEEL CRAZY NOW I AM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE SPEECHLESS!!THANKYOU FOR MAKING ME FEEL SOMEWHAT NORMAL ABOUT CLOTHES...HEAT BOTHERS, COLD IS WORSE HUMIDY IS UNBEARABLE. iT'S BEEN 11 YRS FOR ME AND IT'S NOT GOTTEN BETTER
- —Guest Kim Santre
- Most of the time my temperature is cold,but sometimes is hot,it fluctuate.I don't know that I was experiencing the symptom of temperature sensitivity.
- —Guest Carmen Margarita Cruz
Not just me then!
- I suffer from the dual sensitivity but also need a constant temperature where I live in South Australia theer is big fluctuations in Temperature which causes much pain but where can I find a place that has a constant temperature.
- —Guest Elaine Moore