Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Doctors & Diagnosis
- Causes & Risk Factors
- Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Other Overlapping Conditions
- Myths & Misperceptions
- Book Reviews
- For Friends & Family
Fibromyalgia (FMS) & chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) are tough to understand. Learn the basics of the conditions and get familiar with the terminology you need to really understand, treat and manage them. This is your starting point -- from here, you can launch into more in-depth information without getting in over your head.
- What is Fibromyalgia?
- Do I Have Fibromyalgia?
- How Can I Explain Fibromyalgia?
- Juvenile Fibromyalgia
- What is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Do I Have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- How Can I Explain ME/CFS?
- Juvenile ME/CFS
- Disease vs. Syndrome
FMS & ME/CFS can cause dozens of symptoms. By becoming familiar with them, you can better understand your illness and find ways to manage it. Get information on specific symptoms as well as tips from other readers on how to deal with them.
- Fibromyalgia Symptoms List
- ME/CFS Symptoms List
- Brain Fog/Fibro Fog
- Language Problems
- Heart Abnormalities in ME/CFS
- Morning FMS Symptoms
- Menstruation, Menopause & Pregnancy with FMS
- Reader Stories: Menstrual Changes
- FMS Symptoms in Men
- Hair: Loss & Other Problems
- Light & Noise Sensitivity
- Temperature Sensitivity
- Excessive Sweating
- Symptom Journaling: Whys & Hows
Fibromyalgia pain isn't like any other pain, and it's not just one type, either. Understanding the unique pains of fibromyalgia can help you find treatments and make use of research.
A key part of both fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome is sleep disturbance. We don't just need more sleep, we need better quality sleep. Find out about the different sleep-related problems we face and how to deal with them.
- FMS & Unrefreshing Sleep
- ME/CFS & Unrefreshing Sleep
- Understanding Sleep Dysfunction
- Sleep Disorders in FMS
- What's Keeping You Awake?
- Good Sleep Habits
- Readers Respond: Sleeping Better
- Getting a Sleep Study
- Readers Respond: Sleep Study Experiences
- Getting Comfortable in Bed
Many people with fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue syndrome have imbalances of certain neurotransmitters. Learn which symptoms are associated with which neurotransmitters and how you may be able to correct the balance, with medications, supplements or your diet.
The Immune System
Researchers believe a key component of ME/CFS is a dysregulated immune system, and FMS involves immune dysfunction as well. See what's going on and learn some important terminology that will help you better understand treatments and research.
- Immune System Terminology for ME/CFS
- Epstein-Barr Virus & ME/CFS
- XMRV & ME/CFS
- Why FMS ISN'T Considered Autoimmune
Just diagnosed and trying to wrap your head around it? Take a deep breath - you CAN get on top of this! First, you need to understand what's going on in your body. Then, you need to figure out what to do next. These articles can get you started.
- A Simple Explanation of Fibromyalgia
- A Simple Explanation of ME/CFS
- Just Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia - Now What?
- Just Diagnosed with ME/CFS - Now What?
- Is There a Cure for FMS & ME/CFS?
Doctors & Diagnosis
FMS & ME/CFS are tough conditions to diagnose. Find out why, what tests you can expect your doctor to order and what the official criteria are for a diagnosis. Finding the right doctor is also important because not all health-care providers are familiar with these illnesses.
- Diagnosing Fibromyalgia
- Why Won't My Doctor Diagnose FMS?
- FMS Diagnosis Stories
- Diagnosing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Why Won't My Doctor Diagnose ME/CFS?
- ME/CFS Diagnosis Stories
- Finding an FMS Doctor
- Finding an ME/CFS Doctor
- Find the Right Manual Therapist
- Common Doctor & Diagnosis Problems
Causes & Risk Factors
What causes FMS & ME/CFS? Who's at risk? Researchers are still working to answer these questions, but we're getting clearer ideas. Find out what we know so far.
- What is THE Cause of Fibromyalgia?
- Possible Causes of FMS
- FMS Risk Factors
- Is Fibromyalgia Hereditary?
- Genetic Predisposition
- What is THE Cause of ME/CFS?
- Possible Causes of ME/CFS
- ME/CFS Risk Factors
- Why Women Get FMS & ME/CFS More Often
Overlapping Pain Conditions
Certain pain conditions tend to come together, and they can make each other worse. See how they interact and how you might be able to find some relief.
- Central Sensitivity Syndromes
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Costochondritis - Chest & Rib Pain
- Dysmenorrhea - Painful Period
- Headaches & Migraines
- Interstitial Cystitis - Bladder Pain
Other Overlapping Conditions
Fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue syndrome rarely come alone - they likes to bring "friends" to the party. Learn about conditions that are common in people with these conditions, the symptoms, how they're treated, and how the conditions may interact.
- Anxiety & Depression
- Anxiety/Panic Disorder
- Gluten Intolerance
- Gulf War Syndrome
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
- The Psychology of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
- Raynaud's - Cold Hands & Feet
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Sleep Apnea
- Thyroid Problems
Myths & Misperceptions
A lot of myths and misperceptions abound about FMS & ME/CFS, and they can have a real impact on your life. See what's true - and what's not - about these complex illnesses.
- 4 Common FMS Myths
- 4 Common ME/CFS Myths
- 4 More Common Myths
- Is FMS "All in the Head"?
- Is ME/CFS "All in the Head"?
- "Teens/Kids Can't Get ME/CFS"
- FMS: Not a "Real Disease"
- People with FMS are "Just Faking"
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome = "Tired"
- "Exercise Will Boost Your Energy"
- FMS & ME/CFS are "The Same Thing"
- "Teens/Kids Can't Get ME/CFS"
A lot of books about FMS, ME/CFS and related conditions are on the shelves. Find out what they have to offer and how other people with the condition have liked them. You can also write a review of books you've liked.
- Reader Reviews: Favorite FMS & ME/CFS Books
- Write a Review!
- Figuring Out Fibromyalgia, by Ginevra Liptan, M.D.
- Recovery From CFS: 50 Personal Stories, by Alexandra Barton
- The Other Brain, by R. Douglas Fields, Ph.D.
For Friends & Family
FMS & ME/CFS are hard to understand and can strain relationships. The articles below can help the people in your life get a handle on what you're going through and what it means to them.