"I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I'm overwhelmed. I don't understand what this illness is or what I'm supposed to do next. My life has been a mess for months while doctors tried to figure out what was wrong with me, and now that I know what's wrong, I don't know what to do about it. Where do I start?"
It's normal to feel this way when you've been diagnosed with a chronic illness. It's a huge blow and a really scary time.
The good news is that now you do know what is wrong and can start figuring out what that means and how to manage it. While there's no known cure for this illness and you may always have some symptoms, with proper treatment and management, you can start to feel better and regain your quality of life.
The links below will take you to articles that can help you get a handle on what's going on in your body and what directions you can go for making improvements.
- A Simple Explanation of Fibromyalgia
- Fibromyalgia Symptoms List
- What Causes Fibromyalgia?
- Lifestyle Changes
- Fibromyalgia Treatment Options
- Grieving for Your Pre-Illness Life
- Accepting Your Illness
For more answers to you questions, you can explore the many articles here:
- Symptoms & Basics: Learn more about fibromyalgia, it's many symptoms, myths, sleep problems, overlapping conditions and more.
- Treatment: Get an in-depth look at treatment options, including prescription drugs, supplements, and complementary and alternative treatments.
- Daily Life: Find out how to live with fibromyalgia, what diet and exercise may do for you, how to remain as functional as possible, dealing with work and school, and how to cope with the emotional toll of chronic illness.