1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

"Snap Out of It" Response to Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Depression

By January 10, 2014

People say a lot of stupid things, especially when they think they know more about something than they really do.

For some reason, a whole bunch of people with no special medical knowledge and very little experience with illness think they know what's going on in the bodies - and especially minds - of people with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and the depression that often accompanies them.

Those people tend to say things like, "Can't you just snap out of it?" or "If you'd get out of the house more, you'd feel better."

Those people completely miss the fact that illness is not a choice. They regard fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome as if they're mental illness - which they're not - and don't understand that mental illness is no more a "choice" than physical illness. They honestly believe that millions of people just decide to be sick, or aren't strong enough to get over life's little hurdles.

I recently saw a cartoon titled "If Physical Diseases were Treated Like Mental Illness." It had people saying things like, "I get that you have food poisoning and all, but you at least have to make an effort," and "Have you tried ... you know ... not having the flu?" It makes a brilliant point about how mental illness is treated, but you and I know all too well that some physiological diseases are treated that way.

I know some of us hesitate to tell anyone if we are depressed because we're afraid all of our symptoms will be blamed on that. It's happened - in doctor's offices, workplaces, and courts of law. Someone will be labeled as "just depressed," and the mental-illness stigma kicks in. It's doubly bad, because:

1. Depression can't explain everything we go through and we have clinical evidence showing fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are distinctly different from major depressive disorder;
  2. If depression were our only diagnosis, it should still be treated as the serious, debilitating health issue it is and not written off as someone just needing to pull themselves out of it.

Even those of us who don't struggle with depression need to fight the stigma of mental-health disorders because we continue to be lumped in with them in spite of the current state of medical knowledge. We need to help spread the understanding that depression is a serious disorder with physiological components.

I recently came across a great quote from British actor/comedian Stephen Fry, who has talked a lot about his suicidal depression and the bipolar disorder it stems from: "If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather."

So when people say we should "snap out of it," we should ask them to snap out of being tall, or brown eyed, or bipedal. Ask if they'd say the same thing to someone who had Parkinson's or HIV, both of which have elements in common with our illnesses. Don't let them get away with belittling behavior.

It's hard, I know, but you'd be surprised how easy it can be to make people see how little they understand the situation. Several years ago, my grandma was diagnosed with restless legs syndrome (RLS.) She was well into her 80s and had diabetic neuropathy (pain from nerve damage) in her feet. I knew it was a short logical step from nerve damage to RLS, so what my mother said just floored me - "She'd be fine if she just used her legs more during the day."

I came back with, "Really, it's that simple? A little more movement would correct her nerve problems, alter her neurotransmitter function, and fix everything right up? It's the answer millions of sleepless people have been waiting for! I can't believe no doctor ever thought of it." (She was abashed enough that I didn't go into how using her legs more, when that caused searing pain, wasn't a terribly viable treatment option anyway.)

Okay, so sarcasm isn't always appropriate, but I have more respectful ways of pointing out these things, too. Even then, I try to ask a lot of questions so they have to repeatedly admit their ignorance, like this:

Rude & Thoughtless Uninformed Person: Fibromyalgia's not a real disease, it's just what doctors say when they don't know what's wrong with you.

Me: Are you aware that it's classified as a neuro-endocrine-immune disorder because it involves so many major bodily systems?

Uninformed: Um, no.

Me: Did you know it involves dysregulation of at least five major neurotransmitters as well as structural changes to the brain?

Uninformed: No.

Me: Did you know we have decades of research showing dozens of physiological abnormalities, and that doctors are supposed to follow very specific diagnostic criteria?

Uninformed: No, I didn't.

Me: It's a complex disorder that most people don't know much about. If you'd like to learn more, I can give you some links.

Uninformed: (Slinks away feeling far less confident than when making the original statement.)

It's hard to confront people about their ignorance. The stress of it, of course, can be a problem for us. However, when I let my fear keep me silent, I feel like a victim. When I say something, it spikes my blood sugar and leaves me shaky and achy, but I feel stronger and better overall.

It's not always worth saying something. You may have too much to lose in the situation. You may know that the person is never going to listen anyway. Sometimes it's better to walk away, then send the person an informative article later with a note saying that you hope it'll help them understand. You have to pick your battles and your approach, but I hope you'll take a minute to prepare some responses in your head so that you can help change people's opinions when you have the opportunity.

What horrible things have people said to you about your illness? What do you wish they knew? What have you said back to them? Leave your comments below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Noel Hendrickson/Getty Images

Comments
January 10, 2014 at 10:52 am
(1) DFWMom says:

It is a problem. It is particularly disheartening when it is one of the only two doctors in your large city willing to treat a child with fibromyalgia who takes this attitude, and tells you that if you don’t let her symptoms get “locked in” by modifying her lifestyle so she could pace herself to prevent flares, then she will just magically grow out of it.

Translation — get out your whip and chase her around the block a few times every day, and that will cure fibromyalgie. A little exercise is all that’s needed to cure that neuro-endocrine-immune disorder that involves dysregulation of at least five major neurotransmitters as well as structural changes to the brain and the dozens of physiological abnormalities. **** Wouldn’t that be wonderful for us all, if exercise really was the cure for fibromyalgia?! Like we all haven’t thought of that, and tried it, and anything else that we could think of that might work. ****

Second translation – if she doesn’t mgically get better, it’s *your* fault. I love it when doctors manage to phrase their advice in such as way as to suggest that if the condition continues without improvement, then it’s *your* fault. Even for a condition which has no known cure, and no treatments with a high rate of effectiveness across the majority of patients. But, it’s still your fault if you don’t get better.

I had to point blank tell my brother-in-law that he needed to cut it out with regard to all the wisecracks about my daughter just faking it.

January 10, 2014 at 2:10 pm
(2) diane says:

Yes my brother has uttered those words.Do you think it would help if you got out more?When he has anything (hes not had anything major or has lasted long)He thinks hes going to die.When my father died he was more concerned about dying from a heart attack himself and offered no support to any of us.It’s inexcusable with the internet we have now.You can look up everything in an instant..You would hope anyone who really cares would research it themselves.Isolation is one of the worst things with any invisible illness.Having someone understand is vital.

January 10, 2014 at 3:22 pm
(3) Becky says:

I may have missed something: how is the endocrine system linked to Fibromyalgia?

January 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm
(4) Sally says:

I once actually had a doctor tell me that I couldn’t possibly be feeling the way I told her I was, “because fibromyalgia doesn’t cause that.” It was obvious that she really knew nothing at all about fibromyalgia, so I never went back to her again.

January 10, 2014 at 4:01 pm
(5) esthersiebert says:

I had to laugh about what I thought of saying to uninformed people who offer advice in their efforts to be helpful. I think in addition to being uninformed some of these people are just thoughtless and insensitive.

I’d love to say, “You know, doctors can now create a case of ME or FM in healthy people so it would be great if you would do that for me so you can show me how to get well?”

Does anyone think I’d get any takers? :-)

January 10, 2014 at 4:34 pm
(6) Terri Crowthers says:

I have a question, does anyone have a problem with hearing their heart beet ? continuius in my ears, 24/7

January 10, 2014 at 4:42 pm
(7) Gary Legge says:

I had restless leg and now it is no longer- lbtrains@mullum.com.au

January 10, 2014 at 4:53 pm
(8) norska says:
January 10, 2014 at 4:56 pm
(9) Fibro Person says:

I had gone out to lunch with a neighbor. I struggled to get out of
the car. I was so stiff. I stood up and moaned. I tried to walk.
The neighbor, said to me ” You should consider yourself lucky,
you could be in a wheel chair.

My eyes filled with tears, as I struggled to get back to my house

How cruel!

January 10, 2014 at 5:01 pm
(10) MK Gilbert says:

YEs, Terri, to the heart beat! I don’t usually notice it unless I’m laying down, altho I do notice the agitation caused by the racing pulse. My resting pulse is often above 100. They put me on beta blockers for that for a few months which greatly increased the mood swings~I had BiPolar II symptoms with severe weekly mood swings going from being verbally hyper (but seeming pretty normal compared to most people) to severe suicidal depression…the “highs” were nice as they made me feel almost normal again, altho I invariably embarrass myself by talking too much, but the lows were so unbearable I rather go back to constant low-grade depression (dysthymia) like I used to have! The racing heart makes it hard to relax and get to sleep…sometimes my feet/toes just keep going even tho I’ve never thot I had “restless leg syndrome.” I know I’ve had these neurotransmitter issues (and yes, they are intertwined with hormone/endocrine imbalances) since childhood, probably since birth, but they’ve gotten much worse as I’ve aged. The stupid thing is, when I was hospitalized for the 1st time this past fall for the suicidal depression, they gave me a more mild dianosis of an “adjustment disorder”! 5 1/2 yrs ago when they had me go for outpatient Tx for a month, I was told I had “major endothermic depressive disorder”. The endothermic means it’s internally caused, not a temporary situational depression like some people get due to stress in their lives.

January 10, 2014 at 7:14 pm
(11) JudyP says:

My pain doctor is always on me about exercise in addition to the gardening / yard work / teaching / stuff I do around the house, which honestly is all I can do, and I feel keeps me fit enough. I feel fortunate to be able to do these things with my pain mostly under control. She told me that I needed something for the winter, because there would never be enough shoveling to keep me fit. Ha, ha, nudge, nudge.

Well, on Wednesday, I shoveled snow on and off for 6 hours: 35 feet of driveway, six inches to 4 feet deep, and am in no more pain than usual. Nor is my pain better. I think that this means I have a basic level of fitness that many of the people I know who don’t have fms didn’t have – just ask their backs. My level of fitness has NOT caused my fibromyalgia, and I’m so tired of being told that more exercise is the best solution for my pain. That’s all I did that day, but I was able to do it. Bet my doctor hired someone.

I think that I have lots to bring to the table about my experience with fms and I would appreciate it if more than just my primary care doctor would listen to what I have to say about it. That’s what I get frustrated with – that the people who are supposed to be on my side, to help me, don’t really seem to believe me when I tell them something. It’s not helpful, and it’s often harmful.

January 10, 2014 at 7:24 pm
(12) Gloria says:

@ Becky — Dr. John Lowe considered fibromyalgia to have a HUGE endocrine component. He wrote a large text that is carried at the Medical Library at our local university. His book is called The Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia and is very much about the effect of poor thyroid function and usage of the thyroid hormones, and also how the thyroid function is affected by both the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus — so those are THREE endocrine glands that can affect fibromyalgia. My fibromyalgia is MUCH better since my thyroid levels (both Free T3 and Free T4) are OPTIMAL!!
I also believe that poor adrenal function can cause many of the symptoms of fibromyalgia — especially the FATIGUE part. Combine those two — poor thyroid function and low cortisol and you’ll see lots of “symptoms” related to Fibromyalgia.

January 10, 2014 at 8:03 pm
(13) Tricia Watkins says:

In answer to Becky. The endocrine system is where it all starts, even though it is now mostly ignored with emphasis given to the nervous system. Dysfunction of the HPA axis was one of the first abnormalities discovered, along with alterations in sleep patterns. The hypothalamus tells the pituitary to pump out cortisol and adrenaline inappropriately which can cause an alteration in our brain wave pattern during sleep, effectively interfering with deep sleep. Persistently high levels of cortisol suppress the immune system. It is also logical that these high levels of cortisol tense up all the muscles causing knots and thus pain. Chronic pain eventually brings about structural changes to the brain and pain pathways, resulting in an over-sensitisation of the nervous system called central sensitisation. Over time, the high levels of cortisol can no longer be sustained and the adrenals will become fatigued. Our dysregulated neurotransmitters stem from their link with the endocrine system as some of them have the same precursor as cortisol and adrenaline and therefore compete with supply. Some neurotransmitters also double as hormones. It is all much more complicated than this but I hope this explanation gives a bit of understanding as to how the endocrine system is involved.

January 10, 2014 at 8:20 pm
(14) Tricia Watkins says:

I also meant to mention that all five axes of the endocrine system are interconnected so that an imbalance in one will create an imbalance in the others. It is known, for example, that high cortisol levels will suppress thyroid function as well as suppressing the immune system.

January 10, 2014 at 8:45 pm
(15) Tricia Watkins says:

Re: In answer to Becky. The sentence about the HPA axis should read: The hypothalamus tells the pituitary to pump out inappropriate amounts of cortisol and adrenaline from the adrenals…………

January 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm
(16) Mary Lou says:

“Oh yeah, I have that too” said the active healthy person with no apparent limitations at all. Suddenly I feel so inferior and ashamed that I do have limitations.

January 10, 2014 at 11:17 pm
(17) Joann says:

I get the “just stop worrying about stuff”…with my panic/anxiety disorder, not sure if that goes along with the FM and my RA but they kept thinking I was depressed for 20 years and kept throwing pills at me.

January 11, 2014 at 1:20 am
(18) Lynda says:

I went to a doctor assigned by the Disability people because I didn’t have current medical records that backed up my claims of fibromyalgia, arthritis, at least 3 bulging disks, type 2 diabetes…and other less antagonizing problems. I got a copy of the report after I was denied and had consulted an attorney. The doctor I saw implied I was faking it because when he touched the upper central part of my back (between the shoulder blades) I did not jump (off the table?) or scream out in pain. I am not a screamer for one thing unless the pain is sharp and intense as though someone was stabbing me…have always been that way. My youngest son thinks I should be able to work, that I just need to get up and do….Thank God I fell in love with a man who watches me struggle to get out of bed each morning, helps me with things I can no longer do for myself, like brush my waist long hair. He’d rather help me wash and brush it than cut it off “to make it easier”…so now I am waiting to be set up for a judicial hearing on my appeal. Hard to do with no current medical records and signed up for “Obamacare” and was told I’m eligible for medicaid, only to have the Governor of Wisconsin delay it until April…… :(

January 11, 2014 at 3:12 am
(19) Mia says:

I have a friend who told me last year that I live a very Godly life according to the Bible in all aspects of my life except my health. I should claim my healing from God, according to her. Best of all, she has Fm herself but in a very mild degree and is nearly symptom free at the moment. My only response was to ask her to teach me how to do this. That she couldn’t do, so I just rested my case!
Blessings XX
Mia

January 11, 2014 at 4:53 am
(20) mickeypamo says:

“Isolation is one of the worst things with any invisible illness.Having someone understand is vital.”—Diane

“Love is the Crowning Glory of Understanding”, (mm) If close ones don’t understand what you are going through, there cannot be love, especially if they choose not to talk about the matter. What a painful stigmatization! And they don’t even know . . . or try to know. Diane is right.

January 11, 2014 at 7:14 am
(21) Maria says:

I feel lucky that I have never been told things as bad as some people have. However, I have been told:

At one point I lost some weight, and someone said to me: “Don’t you have a lot more energy now?” I said “No. A lot of thin people have CFIDS also.”

“Yeah, I have that too.”

“You should come to see my doctor, the famous Doctor X. He can cure anything.” Six months later, “Oh, I stopped seeing him. I wasn’t getting any results. I think water aerobics is great. How about physical therapy?”

I have pretty much given up even telling people that I have CFIDS. It’s just too hard to explain and then have to fend off stupid comments also.

January 11, 2014 at 10:13 am
(22) Beckie says:

What gets me is when people say, ” Well you’re a lot better off than most people.” Ummmm……how do they know? Whose shoes have they walked in besides their own? Or, when people say, ” Well you know, things could be worse.” Well, guess what? Things could be better, too. What these people need to do is put themselves in these shoes; they need to be bedridden for days and weeks on end with their muscles feeling like someone’s playing tug of war with them until the fibers break and with every joint, muscle and bone feeling like a knife is stabbing them. They need to be scared to death because nobody can find anything wrong with them. Those are the shoes I have walked in, and I can only speak for myself.

January 11, 2014 at 12:24 pm
(23) Rho says:

Throughout the 20 years I have been living with fibro & chronic fatigue I have consistently met people who think that fibro is a mental problem. Thankfully I have met very few doctors who feel this way. It is very frustrating when I’m speaking with people and their ignorance about fibromyalgia. After 20 years I am not frustrated by these people anymore. I don’t have the energy. Now I just suggest that they go on the Internet and look up fibromyalgia. I tell them that there is a lot of information that explains it. I don’t care if they if they educate themselves. That is their journey. I have a good attitude and I put my energy into my life and keeping it as peaceful and pain free as possible day by day. Every year I do see general attitudes about fibromyalgia changing for the better. I do see that it is recognized as an illness by the government here in Quebec and this is a fabulous development that has only happened in recent years.

January 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm
(24) penpal says:

The ones that trouble me is the one that says :guess WHO I ran into at the store!” If she or he can go walk around and shop they can exercise or do this or that. One man once said a person may have a day relatively free from pain and after days of being close up in side go out but by the end of the day the flare up sets in and for days on end you are back shut up inside. I will never understand some of the unkind ignorant stupid remarks people make rather then asking how can I help? Then be there for them!

January 11, 2014 at 2:25 pm
(25) Happy says:

Depression is very much like CFS. Both carry a stigma. Both are stupidly named after transient experiences that everyone has. (‘I was so depressed at the end of that movie.’ or ‘I’m fatigued as hell from working overtime this week’.) And both are disbelieved.

At least depression can be treated. That’s something.

January 11, 2014 at 2:45 pm
(26) Anne Maskell says:

One of the worst things I’ve had said to me was, ‘What’s the matter with you now?’ in an exasperated, nasty tone. It made me feel like the whole world viewed me as a hypochondriac, and I wanted to slink away. The fact that it was a co-worker made it even worse. Why do people feel they have the right/obligation, to comment on someone’s health? I have fibro, chronic fatigue and several other related illnesses, and there is always someone that thinks they know more about my illness than I do. I no longer work because of my health, and avoid large gatherings of any kind. I’m tired of feeling like I have to explain to even virtual strangers why this is so, and then having them look at me in disbelief. Unfortunately I have found myself being quite rude in return to their comments, and that is not like me at all. I feel like this is just another devastating thing that these illnesses have taken from me.

January 11, 2014 at 2:54 pm
(27) stacey simons says:

My best experience of people’s ignorance was actually with the doctor of occupational health when I worked as a nurse. I was forced to go see him at a hospital an hour’s journey away…which is a mammoth journey when you have fibro, cfs & spinal fusion besides other chronic conditions. I decided the meeting wasn’t going well when I was explaining to him that the the pain got so bad at times I would faint if I didn’t lie down immediately and he wrote down in his report that I had various ‘aches & pains” . This sentence could only be written down by someone inexperienced of the illness…but that was only the start of it…his next question almost made me fall off the chair, but that would have been too painful! He breezilly then asked me and I quote ‘ do you even know what fibromyalgia is Mrs Simmons?’ Yes he even mispronounced my name…when I sat staring at him with my mouth open he did look to be uncomfortable at least. He then said..you know they will get rid of you…at this point I started crying, yes, me a nurse, totally crushed by a gp…I DID know I would lose my job but also knew I had no choice as I was too ill & too exhausted to keep battling on…I had done that for two years before diagnosis, run myself to the point of collapse & hospitalization trying to push myself! Good article..so many tell me I just need to get out more, do a bit of exercise, we’ve all had it! X

January 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm
(28) Bobbie4201 says:

Adrienne, thank you for this article! I have passed it along to family members who do not understand what FM/CFS is about. Hopefully, it will help them begin to understand what I have been experiencing. I appreciate everyone’s comments and support on this website.

January 11, 2014 at 4:00 pm
(29) Sally says:

I have had many people tell me that I “don’t look sick” so obviously I must not be, since the pain of fibromyalgia is invisible. Yesterday I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and even though no one can see the cancer, people are much more accepting of that diagnosis. In most people’s minds, cancer is a “real” illness and fibromyalgia is not. My fibromyalgia has been in a huge flare the last couple of weeks from all the physical and emotional trauma of enduring a breast MRI, and a stereotactic biopsy, and then being diagnosed with breast cancer.

January 11, 2014 at 7:13 pm
(30) Isis L. says:

Maybe we should only read articles written by board certified physicians that are not being paid by big pharma. Bias can can pass along the wrong info. I have had fibro for well over a decade now. There are many CBT’s that have lessened my symptoms to almost non-existent. I take no pharmaceuticals or over the counter drugs. After doing an extensive amount of research I took myself of every drug started CBT and saw an amazing difference with my health. I also started a plant based organic diet and walk twice a day. I suffer from many diseases, fibro is my only syndrome. We do have the power to change our health, for the worse or to get better. I agree there is no “snap out of it ability”, but most people I know with this syndrome have done no reading on it and just trust whatever drugs given to them by their doctors to change their quality of life. For me it was Cipro that has put me in this place of suffering. I had to take a stand for myself and be open minded. It can be as easy as writing on a piece “I will have no pain to day” and ripping it up. This has been proven by many studies to build new pathways. Sometimes things no matter how silly they seem are worth a try. As for always having to defend ourselves to the uneducated it will never get any easier but we do have to accept that when we do not look ill those around us will not accept us to be ill. Sometimes we should strive to surround ourselves with those who are like minded or at least pick up a book once in a while. Question everything! Level of acceptance can also be view as giving up or giving in. We have the right to question our doctors! To all those who read this I wish you health and strength!

January 12, 2014 at 12:35 am
(31) Grace says:

My Dr. refused to do any endocrine tests because the thyroid stimulating hormone test was normal. Tried explaining the free t3 and free t4 and reverse t3 and reverse t4 tests may point to something else. But just ignored. Tests not necessary because TSH is normal.

January 12, 2014 at 1:59 am
(32) bobbi says:

Recently I sold my car in order to force myself to walk. I walk the half mile to work with little problems but the walk home is at night and almost entirely uphill. One of my coworkers insisted I ride with her or with another colleague rather than walk in our somewhat dicey neighborhood after dark.

One day on the way home I was talking about something my doctor had said that had me worried and she yelled at me “You are a hypochondriac!” I admit to be a bit overly involved about my health and said so and she said “NO! ALL OF THIS FIBROMYALGIA STUFF IS IN YOUR HEAD!” and I just shut up. She has no health background at all. Because I do depend on her for a ride (and thought we were becoming friends) I couldn’t argue the point with her. But it really hurt and like you said, left me achy.

January 12, 2014 at 11:15 am
(33) Dawn says:

I was told by a physiotherapist that I couldn’t possibly fibromyalgia because I was walking !!! She told me that only people that are in a wheelchair really have fibro !!!!!!!!
I was haveing treatment on my neck because of muscle stiffness ( caused by fibro !!!) I left her and burst into tears by the time I’d reached my car I was totally exausted !!!! I wondered how on earth was I going to expect others to believe me if health care people don’t !!!!!
That was 10yrs ago and I’m still facing non believers but I try not to get as hurt as I was then !!! It isn’t fair we suffere enough without. Having to explain ourselves !!!! If pain coloured us bright blue we would all be looking like smurfs !!!!!! But at least we would be believed !!!!!!

January 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm
(34) nicky vowles says:

To No:12 & 13. Tricia.
I have never ever told anyone this before but what you were saying made something click into place. I am female, “young” 63yr old in UK.
Right from a young child it was always “Ssh, Nicky’s trying to sleep”. Terrible sleeper. Strange tight legs and back etc. etc., no one could find out what wrong. Still I pushed myself on and upwards as we all do!
BUT: Every single morning, the very moment I woke up, I got like a rush of “energy” from my feet up to the top of my head. Then I was off, like someone shot from a cannon. They used to say “She lives on her nerves” or “She’s over-excitable” etc., I described it as if my foot was stuck on the accelerator in the car & I could not take it off. I was about 52 years old, contemplating seriously, very seriously, suicide to get away from the terrible, constant pain, when I was given 1mg Clonazepam & 25mg Clomipramine. The “Rush” STOPPED instantly. The “eight-arm goddess” stopped. (my late husband used to call me that). I have never had this “Rush” since.
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS RUSH, as I call it?
IF YOU HAVE, PLEASE DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT WAS ALL ABOUT?
I would love to get off the meds.

January 12, 2014 at 4:09 pm
(35) Chris Anchondo says:

Thank you so much for this!!

I was in the ER for pain recently and the doc told me there’s no such thing as FM/CFS, it’s just doctors being lazy and not wanting to take the time to diagnose a medical reason for the symptoms. I, of course, responded with, “well by all means – I’m here in your ER, be my guest.” Funny, for someone who had so much to say on the topic was at a total loss of words.

The most difficult thing these days is not always the pain, but the mental aspect. It’s hard enough to accept and cope with such an illness but then people that chose to be uneducated about it feel they are entitled to an “opinion”. This whole process of acceptance has been a huge struggle for me to the point that I wasn’t sure if I could cope and live like this. I had to really go through a lot to get where I am so when something like this happens it feels like a huge set back and doubting the illness all over again. To the point where I’m going to start carrying around print outs from the national library of medicine.

Hang in there everyone and don’t give up hope that we will find peace with what we deal with everyday!

January 13, 2014 at 2:14 am
(36) Suella says:

For nicky:

Nicky, I have no medical training at all I have cfs/me but no fibro.

This sounds like a real superfluity of adrenaline to me. When I get this I cannot hear my body asking me for pacing and rest periods. So I can all too easily over-do it physically and mentally.

Have you had your adrenal function tested?

Best of luck in sorting your problem out.
Suella

January 13, 2014 at 2:22 am
(37) Suella says:

I find that smiling an amused smile, and saying nothing keeps me from being angry or upset. If someone offers silly advice then I may say “Thank you” and just leave it . If they wasnt to discuss things furtherWe’ll have to agree to disagree here”, again with a friendly smile. It usually defuses what could otherwise become toxic for me.

But in all honesty I get very few comments now because I’ve learned to pace myself to give me enough energy to carefully and safely have a life in public. I managed to work to retirement age with adjustments with my employment, so the stressors and people I associate with are essentially my own choice.
Suella

January 13, 2014 at 4:21 am
(38) Patricia says:

The symptoms are so varied, it makes us sound crazy. I’m up at night because I start to feel better in the late evening. Being up during the day is torture. Sometimes I don’t go to bed till the morning and sleep till 4pm or 5pm. Anyone having this reversal of a normal circadian rythm
?

January 13, 2014 at 5:45 am
(39) CT Yankee in the UK says:

People often make insensitive comments without realising it. A couple of winters ago I was out with a few friends and my legs felt really weak and I needed to sit down. One of them said: “You look fine. You don’t see to have a problem with your legs. You are walking and standing ok.”

I said to him: “That’s part of the problem with having this illness. People with ME look fine, but physically we may feel terrible. You probably haven’t read much about it. Just so you know for the next time you are talking to someone with ME, you might want to avoid saying what you just said. If they are having a bad day it could really hurt their feelings and just make it harder for them to cope. I know you didn’t mean to hurt my feelings so we’re ok – no worries. ”

He apologised and said he didn’t know much about ME and hadn’t realised it was like that and compared it to depression (which he has) in that you look fine on the outside but are struggling on the inside. He made the connection. So that was a positive outcome.

I find it easier to “educate” friends than family. They are usually more willingly to listen. Family dynamics are different to friendships. With family I just have to tactfully but firmly say “No, I am not up to that but I could do XYZ” if expectations are unreasonable. After years of this, some of my family are starting to get it … others are a bit slower but there is always hope!

January 13, 2014 at 6:47 am
(40) Nicola says:

Now there is a blood test for fibro, it is expensive (but maybe if it is accepted this will be a way to SHUT UP the skeptics for good. I sure hope so. Shame on those who criticize anyone who is ill. Health crises can strike anyone, at anytime.
link to test

January 13, 2014 at 2:33 pm
(41) Corry says:

Patricia, I am the same way.. I know all of the late night tv shows cause well i am always up until the early morning.. I hate it that I cant sleep like a normal person.. its even worse if I have to get up during the day to go a doctors appt. cause the second you set that alarm to get up on time.. I find that i am constantly waking up to make sure i am gonna be up in time which just makes me more tired.. I have fibro, psoratic arthritis,uterine cancer survivor,epilespy and more medical issues to shake a stick at…

my own mother in law one christmas when i was flaring really bad started yelling at me cause i wasnt up to going..I already feel bad enough when have to cancel plans cause my body is in soo much pain ( even with taking 60mgs of morphine 3 times a day)..comments like Oh thats what you said last time when you cancelled or you just dont wanna do it ( she was wanting to go to the family farm for christmas) I can barely do stairs on most days.. On my really bad days I cant even be physically touched.. even a soft breeze will have me crying out in pain.. but those people who just dont understand or dont wanna understand.. it would be soooo nice if we could make them feel what we feel .. even for a day.. heck even for an hour.. I am betting a million dollars they would be singing a different tune if they truely knew what we all go thru

January 14, 2014 at 1:35 pm
(42) Kayjay says:

Years ago, I had to leave my chosen profession of nursing, due to fibro and pain and retrained as a secretary, got a job, ended up doing repetitive stuff and my hands were in so much pain I had them splinted by the doctor and was unable to work. I was in a disciplinary meeting where they were going to sack me and the office manager said she didn’t think I “wanted to work”… erm yes it was such fun being off sick, in pain, watching all my friends qualify as nurses and buy houses/have kids/move on with their lives, I didn’t want to work…….

January 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm
(43) Mark says:

I’ve struggled with fibro for the past decade and finally found a doctor and life coach who have made a profound impact on my life. It’s amazing what changing my diet and exercising (despite the pain) will do if you stick with it! I feel better than I have in over 15 years!!!

January 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm
(44) Donna De Cant says:

I left my last doctor due to the insensitivity of his demeanor. I was having really bad upper back pain (between the shoulder blades) and increasing lower back pain, he tells me to exercise more and sends me to physical therapy. After a month of that, I was in more pain and what does he do? More PT. After that, and being in more pain, he keeps telling me to take OTCs. I tell him they don’t help and tells me to keep taking them! After 6 months of this, I went to another doctor, who immediately gave me a pain killer & muscle relaxant with no hesiation! A week later, I went to my old chiropractor (in a different state) and walked out, feeling like a new woman and didn’t need the drugs anymore, until I went back home & it started all over again. I decided that in a few months, I will be moving back to my old state and making regular visits to my chiropractor. What I am trying to say is don’t give up! I have suffered from migraines for 21 years and Fibro for a couple years. I have cancelled on so many friends many, many times and although I have lost lots of them, the ones that stick by me are few, but they seem to understand what I go through and help me by suggesting resources, new drugs on the market, other doctors that might be able to help. I am so lucky to have them in my life, but most of all, a loving boyfriend of 7 years that does things for me when I can’t do it myself.

January 14, 2014 at 9:23 pm
(45) linda says:

I have had fibro fr years some days I manage jst fine.but otherdays the way to describe it is debilatating,horrific,herendous.but bcz I look do healthy on the outside people mostlyy family,jst don’t understand why I don’t go visting shopping all day ect..I hve finally cme to relize I can want to all I want to but whn yhat fibro pain speaks.I hve learnd to
listen.family frnds jst hve to deal withit.I’m tired of feelin like i hve to justifyy myself.its just exsauhting. Godbless uall my fibro buddies

January 15, 2014 at 11:32 am
(46) teresa ostler says:

my brother doesn’t really understand and says silly things you just need some fresh air and a good nights sleep even though he knows I don’t sleep also my friends now keep their distance because im no longer the person who I use to be like organising nights out or life and sole of a night out I now don’t have the energy to do those things and nobody ever asks me if I want to the concerts or the nights out even if I might of said no its still nice to be asked and in cluded , my husband and kids and my big sister are the only ones who understand me and look after me xx

January 15, 2014 at 2:21 pm
(47) Sue says:

I have had fibro for most of my life I went to some Arthritis meetings, and that was where I discovered fibromyalgia was my problem. After 30 years of being her patient, I went to see my gp about 4 specific things – fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, weight loss surgery and an appointment for a Rheumatologist.

Her thoughts – “fibromyalgia is an affliction of an affluent society – no one in the third world countries have the problem.” At 240 pounds I was not “big” enough to qualify for weight loss surgery, there was no reason to see a rheumatologist, because “there would be at least a 9 month wait!”, the irritable bowel syndrome was something that “over 1/4 of the population had!”

That was a hard day for me. It took another 3 years to find a gp who would send me to a rheumatologist, and then believe the diagnosis! My gp now is great, and helps me in many ways.

I have been working with a physical trainer, and am starting to wean myself from my electric scooter (had for over 1 year now)! I have lost 50 pounds now, and am getting to a much healthier weight – and my symptoms are improving, but I still have to make sure I don’t overdue anything, and I will use my scooter when I feel it necessary while shopping or even playing with my grandsons! The scooter has been a God-Send, because for the first time in 5 years, I could go for a walk with my grandsons! I cried then, and the tears are coming when I think of the hugeness of that one thing. Riding their bikes, we go for walks any nice day that happens when I have them in my care.

Yesterday, I took the two of them to a playground, and for the first time, I walked in and out!!! I was so proud of being able to be THERE, with them, and not sitting to one side because the scooter wouldn’t get through the gravel of the playground!!! I am learning how to take care of myself, and do the things I love to do, rather than doing the things I don’t like, and not being able to play with the grandsons.

January 15, 2014 at 7:07 pm
(48) tim says:

Generally agree,but it is also true that physiology attempts to modify from behavior,as in the declination of surface opiate receptors with repeated narcotic use

January 15, 2014 at 10:40 pm
(49) Heather says:

My 58-year old dad has some admitted body aches from getting older and how hard he has used his body. I have an absolute litany of chronic autoimmune diagnoses, and he told me he is in worse pain and that I’m ‘just getting older’ so basically, ‘deal with it’ and quit whining. Why does he have to compare? Type I diabetes, hashimoto’s, probably chronic fatigue syndrome, microscopic colitis, incomplete lupus, anemia, chronic urticaria, edema, angioedema, bipolar, anxiety…When I am in my 50′s I will accept that I should feel in my 50′s…I am 35 and I don’t think I am ready to feel like I’m 80. I haven’t talked to him since. I would send info for him to read but he is a centimeter from being a sociopath and is smarter than everyone and would call information hogwash and whining and he knows so much better.

January 15, 2014 at 10:45 pm
(50) Nicky says:

shaymo5@aol.comive been sent for CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) by my GP, as the terrible pain I’m in 24/7 MUST be in my mind?! If that’s the case, why does it wake me up? I’m not dreaming about being in pain??? If only I could get rid of the pain by thinking differently!! My GP doesn’t understand or care that all this is achieving is making me feel guilty for being ill. It frustrates me so much and I then become depressed because my pain is just dismissed as ‘being all in my mind’. If only the people who dismiss the pain could experience a tenth of the life I have to live, perhaps then they might feel guilty too?

January 16, 2014 at 12:12 am
(51) Dori says:

Im a 53 year old women who has finally got my Doctor to diagnosis me after seeing her appointment after appointment treating me with all these symptoms. I have suffered from depression since I was a child. I’ve been threw 3 marriages and finally came to the conclusion I’m unpalatable. At first my doctors blamed everything on my 20 some years as a CENA . Then she blamed it on the weight gain, and every other symptom was swept under the table as to something I’ve done or life style choices. I suffer so bad these days in pain I am unable to even walk the distance into a grocery store let alone shop there. I’m on quite a few meds to help me with being able to cope yet ,someday s I feel there is no hope. So I found a website and punched up all my symptoms and fibromyalgia is what popped up. I have all but 1 symptom. So I made a doctors appointment so we could discuss my findings. I was applauded with her response, she’d said,” I realized this but, I don’t necessary believe in fibromyalia. I believe that you suffer from depression and fibromyaliga is just a fancy word used to bundle the symptoms of depression. ” You cant believe how hard this hit me, I took this as she was stating this is all in my head. I cried all the way home that day. Actually there very few days I’m not crying. It’s hard to deal with the fact I’m unable to do the things that I use to do such as house cleaning, folding laundry, not sleeping due to back pain, anxiety attacks,not being able to remember simple things, like my childrens birthdays, cooking simple dishes and forgetting how, plus not being able to stand and stir the pot and living in a fog. I live in constant fear everyday wondering what I’m forgetting or am I going crazy and that’s why this is happening to me. It’s like a big nightmare that I can’t wake up from. It helps me to read that I’m not alone though.

January 16, 2014 at 5:50 am
(52) paul says:

I do believe in the power of the brain and in somata disorders I have seen it first hand.

January 17, 2014 at 1:08 pm
(53) nicole says:

Its been mostly my doctor telling me I will feel much better if I just get out and walk more, I also have two young kids in a buggy so thinking about going out it enough exercise for me

January 17, 2014 at 3:25 pm
(54) linda says:

why do people say if u lose wieght u will feel better,wellim hete to tell u, I was 240lb I lost 65lbs, but my fibro pain still hurts like hell whn it flares up.

January 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm
(55) mindy says:

TO TERRI CROWTHERS QUESTION about heaing continous heartbeat constantly in her ears!!! Me too, scared the heck out of me, started a few months ago, I have fibro, celiac disease, any clues on what it is? I had the arteries checked in my neck in a heart checkup and they were ok so
please I’d love to hear more from you, thank you for writing here,
fibrofran

January 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm
(56) Valma says:

Some of my siblings say I just use it as an excuse, Which is very annoying. My sister in law even showed my Mum that I was up late one night- By showing her a post> I had The computer on as I couldn’t sleep!
Fortunately these people live in another state so I don’t see them often.

January 17, 2014 at 8:03 pm
(57) UPSman says:

Being a male and having this disease for 15 years now I’d love to comment extensively on what we’re up against even within the medical community – let alone our personal relationships.

People don’t have a clue until they spend quality time with you over a good period of time and then they start getting it. I just began to “get out” in the community I bought a home in 3 years ago.

At first I’m certain they were apprehensive because they would see me when “I” chose to let them see me. But as the friendship deepened they have started to get it. And now they have no doubt I’m ill – seriously ill! But as some people are they have their “recommendations”. Whatever!

Well that’s about all I’m going to allow myself to comment on. I wrote a one page letter 2 months ago and it showed the devastating effects of the concentration and focus I put into writing. I’ve been scared to write simple letters/emails ever since.

January 17, 2014 at 11:46 pm
(58) Nancy says:

Patricia, I have a total reversal of my sleep patterns. I go to bed in the am and sleep till about 8:00 pm. I feel awful in the daytime and a little better during the nighttime hours. I’ve been like this for years. It messes up everything in ones life.

Going to the doctors is exhausting because I’m so tired from lack of sleep. They think I’m foggy all the time but if they could see me in the pm, they would see a much more alert person.

Wish I knew the solution. I have CFS and FM. Benn ill for over 30 years.

January 18, 2014 at 7:54 am
(59) Laura Sullivan says:

Passing on the “Spoon Story” to family members helped tremendously..
I have had doctors make hurtful remarks in the past, before all my problems were in full bloom, but the doctors I have had for the past 8 or 9 years have been wonderful. I thank God for them & pray for those of you still trying to find supportive doctors.

January 18, 2014 at 1:14 pm
(60) Sandra says:

It is such a relief to me to read about heartbeat in the ear. I’ve had this for years, can feel it all the time. Has been ignored by my regular PCP. Am trying another doctor now and have some hope he’ll listen. Yes, get over it was what I heard for years. I’ve learned to be a combination of educational and rude. So tired of that as I am so tired all the time and don’t need anything else to add to it. Of course, being among those with hidden disabilities doesn’t help. For a few years I had bone on bone in both hips. Was on a cane and then a walker. Used an electric cart when shopping. The consideration and care I received was amazing and so needed. Now the hips are replaced (yeah) and I am back to being invisible. I am still in pain. I am still exhausted. And I still use my Handicapped Parking permit. Now I look around at how many others that use the permit look like me – healthy. We aren’t so don’t tell us to get over it or park somewhere else. Wish life was so simple.

January 18, 2014 at 4:54 pm
(61) Marti Murphy says:

I don’t think anyone who responded to me as you describe is still around! I have a really good right hook!!

January 18, 2014 at 11:02 pm
(62) Deborah Bolton says:

A few years ago, I was just three and a half months past having had a total hip replacement. My husband was out of town for two weeks. I had to walk the dog every day ( I get someone to help with that if he is gone for more than two days now). Anyway, a couple of women acquaintances came by and brought me left over hamburgers from the youth group meeting. I thought that was very thoughtful. And then, one of the women asked about my illness (Fibromyalgia, CFS, Arthritis, Overlapping Conditions). Innocently, I thought she was sincerely interested, so I gave her a summary–short and sweet. She proceeded to tell me that if I just walked up and down the sidewalk in front of my house everyday, I would feel fine. I walked in the house absolutely stunned–we were sitting on the porch. Then, I started to get the shakes. I went into a major panic attack and I cried for a long time. The next morning I woke up crying. At the time, I was still hurting from the hip surgery, the FM, the pain from walking the dog, and the Fatigue of FM and CFS. Also, I was missing my hubby.

January 19, 2014 at 1:02 pm
(63) Nitalynn says:

mindy please find a hearing specialist who treats “musical ear syndrome” and get an appoint if you can. Otherwise Google the topic. Most people who have it have hearing loss. I have some but it is not necessary for a diagnosis. I did however have several people in my family with tinnitus. On the original topic my first thought is if I do not feel any need for civility the response should be, “Been there done that and it made it worse. Do you really think I did not try anything so simple!” Unfortunately I usually act civilly toward all but the most boorish people. My second thought is that this person would most likely be lying in their bed 24/7 in agony if they had had to go through what I have instead of trying to get along as best they can. Usually the whole purpose of their comments is not your well being but that you “get well” because they have expectations of what they want you to be able to do for them!

January 19, 2014 at 5:42 pm
(64) Cinge says:

I can’t believe some of the comments that I’ve heard. When I tell my hubby that I’m really tired he say’s “Yeah, so am I”. I left work early one day because I couldn’t function anymore. My co-worker and so- called friend told me that she was jealous of me because I got to leave early. I asked my daughter to put away her scented candles when I was at her house and she said “well, Mom if you go anywhere you’re going to have to deal with smells”. My reply to her was “well I guess I’ll just stay home from now on”. If I mention to my Mom that I am in pain in a certain area she usually says “oh, yeah, I have that pain too”. I just don’t talk to her about it anymore. It’s no wonder we cry and get depressed because of the insensitive people in our lives.

January 22, 2014 at 10:09 pm
(65) Andrea says:

In response to Terri Crowthers, & Mindy…….. I too have the loud heartbeat in my ears! It just started for me this past year, & it can be very annoying ! Haven’t mentioned it to my Dr. Yet, although I have an appointment coming up on Monday, It will be interesting to hear what he says.

January 23, 2014 at 9:53 am
(66) C says:

I’ve heard all the above and more. It’s not been fun in the least. I have been misdiagnosed several times and have not just had the fear of being mislabeled but have actually had it done. it has take over a decade to be diagnosed properly and to remove the mislabels in my medical file etc. The health care system has NOT been easy to deal with.Then there are societal issues and some medical professionals have not helped this. Their comments and such have done harm in my community. I’ve had one person even pick up my cane from my cart and say, “you don’t need this” ….unfortunately I was so dumb-founded I just stood there and stared and when I was about to speak they just ignored me. Yes, I can definitely say I’ve been labeled. So badly by some that illness has been labeled physo-somatic. I can’t begin to tell you how hurtful this is. I’ve always insisted on being self-aware and honest so labels such as this sting greatly. Then there is the old gossip mill and if things as bad as breaches of confidentiality are happening then it can be tremendously stressful and beyond hurtful. My community has become more aware but not near to the extent it should be. It’s been hard…heartbreaking. :(

January 23, 2014 at 9:55 am
(67) C says:

One more thing I’d say is that it has kept me from reaching out social and at times even within the medical profession. This can be even more isolating.

February 4, 2014 at 3:40 pm
(68) taniaaust1 says:

Im a person with severe ME in Sth Australia.. desperately seeking a lawyer well versed in ME and the discrimination Im wanting to sue my states government due to what various depts have done to me which ended up making my illness worst to the point now I cant even go out without a wheelchair and someone to push me. Attitudes experienced

* Dietian Alison Martin- Reported I’d recover from ME/CFS if I didnt watch TV. *Note I dont even tend to watch TV and cant watch videos on my computer on my dial up connection. I was even without a TV for years.

* GP Dr David Mitchelmore in Strathalbyn. In his office crying about how I’d collapsed trying to get home from my last appointment to him and ended up in a gutter unable to walk (and was stuck there for a very long time till someone rescued me). His response said in an irritated manner “YOU ARE NOT DISABLED”.

* A male Centreworker at Mt Barker “You will never get a disability pension for CFS” (and then he whispered under his breath “I’ll make sure of it”. (then things went missing out of my files before assessments to which I only found out when I applied under the freedom of info act to make sure all my info was still). I was even too sick to be able to remain seated in the centrelink appointments and hence was often laying on their floor. It was eithe that or faint. I got rejected 3 times thou I had specialists and several drs backing my case.

My case ended up having to be heard in another state before I got a disability pension due to those guys.
cont

February 4, 2014 at 3:57 pm
(69) taniaaust1 says:

cont. Helene, Christies Beach office, the states Disability services, my case worker supposed to be helping me but instead I just spent another year trying to get my disability needs met. A fight which has my condition worst. It took me 3 years to get the wheelchair I was needing as they refused to put in an application for me. The physio when she came out to my home to access me was shocked that I’d been denied one for so long.

I get 5 hrs support for MILD ASPERGERS, ignored the fact I have severe ME/CFS and at times are so unwell I cant even get myself a drink. 2 weeks ago I ended up having to be ambulanced to hospital and was given 2 bags of saline for dehydration. My blood test there showed I was so badly dehydrated that my kidneys had stopped working right..

* from Helene from SA’s disability service
“just catch a taxi to your medical appointments” Im too unwell to be able to do that
“Just wear sunglasses” ignored that chemicals do more then just made my eyes burn and can make me collapse (besides how on earth are sunglasses meant to help!! MCS) ”
“that symptom isnt in ME/CFS” (she’s not got a clue)

* A guard pressed hard down on my head with his boot making my head go into intense pain, trying to force me to get up and move from the place I’d collapsed when I couldnt even sit. They ended up picking me up and throwing me into a cell.

Uncontrollable crying due to not getting the support I was needing, police called to take me to hospital for assessment. When i said I didnt want to go, one ripped my arm up behind my back and tore my shoulder tendon and didnt believe he was hurting me. (I put in an offical complaint with my ultrasound of damage but was too sick to follow up).

if know of a good lawyer could you please write to me at 23 Nautilus Square, Seaford Rise, Sth Australia, 5169 thanks. My email address thou is tania.aust@outlook.com thou I cant keep up with my emails so miss them

Tanya Selth

March 1, 2014 at 2:36 pm
(70) Janet Vazquez says:

I had fibromyalgia (I like to Call it fibromycrapia) for 4 & 1/2 years. I prayed for healing. God did healed me, but in a way better than what I was expecting. The cause was a root canal & dental “silver” amalgam fillings which in reality are 70% mercury. After removal I went thru a 3 month healing crisis (which verified that I had gotten to the cause). After that, I was completely healed & set free! Other causes are silicon breast augmentation which when removed also allows healing to occur. I went thru plenty of judgment, mostly from family, when support was needed. Since then, I’ve suffered injuries from domestic violence (1 time shame on them, 2 times shame on me.) One incident was adequately severe, & injuries from a drunk driver. Because these injuries have left me disabled & unable to work & also left me in debilitating pain & require pain management, certain ignorant family members, especially one that knows nothing about pain or medicine & has no experience with pain, judges me virtually constantly, over & over & over. It is never ending & is exhausting. I’m never allowed to feel bad from a severe ear infection from a broken ear drum. I’m not allowed to feel bad from a car accident or any other thing that has or will occur. It’s one of my oldest sons (I have twins), so this makes it hard to live with in addition to trying to do my best coping with the disabilities. I’m believing God for healing & also want to use my life to help others. I do NOT need his negativity in my life. I do, however, want him in my life. I’ve let him know all this, but to no avail so far. You can’t get somebody to listen to them truth if they don ‘t like they truth & think they already know something just because they “read it on they internet”.

March 11, 2014 at 1:49 pm
(71) Jan Steele says:

I must apologize to everyone with fibro/CFS on behalf of the medical community. I am an RN who has battled adrenal fatigue for many years now. I have also studied holistic health since I was about 16, and have become a certified myomassologist. I am very attuned to how ignorant the medical community is regarding anything of a holistic flavor. That said, please understand that the medical community follows the ‘medical (and surgical) model’–if you can’t fix it with medicine or surgery, then [we figure, since it is an unknown and MY GOD, we've been 'curing' things for years] it must be in your head! This, by definition, makes allopathic medical folk, in general, CRISIS INTERVENTIONISTS (who are, sometimes, pardon me, afraid of failure, so it must be the patient’s fault–a belief we are NOT taught in school; that incorrect attitude is cultivated by the individual practitioner, if they forget all about ‘listen to the patient’ section in the ‘Developing a therapeutic relationship’ material in lecture)…they will prescribe a pain pill, etc., just to get you over a few bumps, etc. The real work, to fix and prevent further illness, is the nearly-exclusive domain of the holistic health world (partnered, of course, with the client, who works hard to improve health practices). This (IMHO) is where the real answers lie to those niggling problems that seem unsolvable. I do think that an approach of allopathic medicine and holistic health ‘married’ together is a wonderful approach. Understand, though, that holistic health reverses previous negative issues in the body, allowing it to heal (a sometimes S-L-O-W process). I have made many improvements in my health–not very easy to do, and results lag behind the effort made, but completely worth it! Best wishes to each and every one of you–I KNOW you can make great strides towards wellness!!! :)

March 19, 2014 at 5:24 am
(72) Read It Before You Eat It How to Decode Food Labels says:

<a href=”http://j.gs/847485/foodlabels”>Read It Before You Eat It How to Decode Food Labels</a>

May 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm
(73) cul aguicheuse says:

Il me tarԁе Ԁe lігe սn аutгe
pօѕte

May 20, 2014 at 10:36 am
(74) amatrice says:

Je finirai de regarder tout cela dans la semaine