1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Flu Shots: Yes or No for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

By October 10, 2013

Blog Classic: Nov. 7, 2012

Fibromyalgia (FMS) and chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) involve dysfunctional immune systems. The flu can be especially hard on us. So we should get flu shots, right?

You didn't expect an easy answer, did you? With FMS & ME/CFS, it's never simple.

The flu shot contains dead flu virus, and while most people's immune systems do just fine with that, many of us do not.

Some leading experts in our illnesses, and especially ME/CFS, caution against flu shots. They say the risk is too great that it'll make your symptoms significantly worse, possibly for months. Other say we should get the vaccine because if we get the flu we'll get especially sick and take a long time to recover.

That leaves us in a quandry. Who is right? How do we know how we'll react? Which route is safer?

I didn't used to get flu shots. I've never had a bona fide case of the flu and I'd never, as an adult, been vaccinated. FMS is different for everyone, and in my case, it caused very little immune dysfunction. Therefore, for my first few years of being sick, I didn't get the shot. However, then there was the whole "swine flu" scare, and I got it because I had young children and had developed an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis). I didn't have any problems, so I've gotten one every year since.

Again, my immune dysfunction is mild. The vaccine is much harder on some people. It's a bit of a gamble, really - do you risk a symptom flare by getting the shot, or risk a potentially devastating illness by not getting it? We have to consider a lot of factors, such as:

1. How likely are you to get the flu?
  2. Have you had reactions to flu vaccines in the past?
  3. Do you have other illnesses that put you at risk of the flu? (These include autoimmunity, diabetes, COPD/emphysema and heart disease

In the end, it's a personal decision. I'd love to hear what decision you make and your reasons for it, so leave a comment below! (This topic can get heated, so please do NOT criticize or second-guess other people's decisions. This is about sharing information in a safe and open environment.)

More Resources:

Also, take the poll!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Stockbyte/Getty Images

Comments
November 7, 2012 at 10:59 pm
(1) James says:

I have to deal with CFS, Fibro, IBS, IC and migraines with aura. I don’t believe I’d make it through a full bout of the flu. I’m getting my flu shot tomorrow.

November 7, 2012 at 11:40 pm
(2) Bobbi says:

I have to get flu shots because I lost my spleen and most post-splenectomy patients die of complications from pneumonia. The one year I didn’t get a flu shot, I got the flu and it did turn into pneumonia. I haven’t had any problems since the early 90s, but the last two years the immunization included the swine flu and both years I’ve had bad reactions to the shot. I got it early this year and it definitely threw me into a flare which is ongoing. It makes it really hard to do my job when all I want to do is sleep.

November 8, 2012 at 1:18 am
(3) Felicia Fibro says:

I’ve also written on this issue with similar sentiments. Personally, I handle the dead flu shot just fine, but did have a reaction with the live nasal spray version. That version is cautioned against for those with chronic conditions anyway.

November 8, 2012 at 2:20 am
(4) Sita says:

If I didn’t have an egg allergy, I’d totally get a flu shot.

November 8, 2012 at 6:37 am
(5) UVAid says:

Flu shots have been proven to be only 59% effective based on a study conducted by the University of Minnesota. Photo-oxidation therapy is a natural alternative that uses sunlight to produce antibacterial and antiviral hydrogen peroxide in nasal passages.

November 8, 2012 at 8:03 am
(6) Rachael says:

Never in a million years would “I” get a flu shot. The reason you give a flu shot is to inject an antigen to invoke an immune response against catching the flu. Many of us with ME/CFS already have immune systems that are chronically activated. Any kind of immunization could push this hyper-stimulated state into overdrive, which could significantly increase your symptoms. Since becoming ill with ME/CFS I never get colds or flues; not once in almost three decades.
************************************
“Infectious Disease Specialist Dr. Kent Holtorf strongly recommended that people with mitrochondrial dysfunction, chronic neurological illnesses, fibromyalgia and ME/CFS not get the H1N1 vaccine because, to use his word, he has seen it “devastate” them.”

November 8, 2012 at 8:29 am
(7) Nancy A. says:

I have both CFS and fibromyalgia. I get a flu shot every year, and I now get a pneumonia shot every 5 years after a bout of pneumonia several years ago.

I don’t usually have any side effects from the shots other than soreness at the injection site for a day or two.

It’s definitely worth it for me to get the shots and not risk getting the flu every winter.

November 8, 2012 at 9:17 am
(8) Pam says:

I get a flu shot every year, however years ago when I received the first one, I got flu like symptoms. My position is that I don’t feel well most days, so I don’t need to get sick, so I get a vaccine.. It’s definitely a matter of choice for us though.

November 8, 2012 at 10:08 am
(9) CATT says:

I also am being treated for Hashimotos, auto immune disease, leaky gut, internal inflammation, etc. I have also suffered through CFS, Fibromyalgia and polio brought on by the vaccine. Because of all this, and especially the auto immune I would never consider being vaccinated for anything. My DO has also explained that I fall into a 5% category of the population that should never take Pharmaceuticals of any kind. I am having to take care of all these disorders, and more, through diet and supplement. Even the taking of Arnours Thyroid and a synthetic thyroid, years ago, created horrendous reactions. So none of that, either. Each person is an individual with their own complicated makeup and DNA structure. For Big Gov’t and Big Pharmakill to make a blanket statement that it’s imperative for all to receive all vaccines is a horrendous and hideous thing. I’m glad to see some refreshing research being done and this article has been a bit of fresh air.

November 8, 2012 at 10:21 am
(10) dfwmom says:

My daughter, who has primary juvenile fibromyalgia, is too sick right now to get the flu shot. However, the subject was brought up at the doctor’s office (by a sign that says Flu Shots Now Available), and I found myself reluctant to suggest that she get the shot when she feels better. I am concerned that too much assault on her immune system would be detrimental to her. She already has a band of swelling across the bottom of her throat from swollen glands.

Perhaps a better plan is to get the flu shot for my OTHER daughter, who goes to public school, so that we have less chance of her bringing it home to us. My daughter with fibro does not come into contact with as many people, so this would be a good way to reduce our risks.

November 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm
(11) Brian says:

Does the flu shot have mercury in it as some other vaccinations do? If so, I’d think ME/CFS sufferers would want to stay far away from it.

November 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm
(12) John says:

I have ME/CFS and tests show that I have a chronicly overactive immune system. I have been treated with immune modulators without any success. My doctor has told me not to have any vaccinations without first consulting him. He suspects that the multiple vaccinations I had when I first got sick had something to do with me developing ME/CFS. On the flip side, I have not contracted any bugs my wife brings home from the preschool she teaches at.

November 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm
(13) his1sparrow says:

I have Fibromyalgia, Asthma, CFS, Congestive Heart Failure, Osteoarthritis… so, yes, I do make it a point to get my flu shot each year. I haven’t had any reaction to the shot, even though I do have severe anaphaltic shock to penicilian, all sulphur drugs and the iodine in anginoplasties…the doctors lost me twice on the table due to the iodine.
I try to eat right, take vitamins, minerals, etc.
God bless you all.

November 9, 2012 at 7:37 am
(14) Christine says:

My daughter who is 11′has had me,CFs for over a year ,I was advised by go to get her the flu jab ,after having in 2 weeks ago she has been very ill ,high temp again ,swollen glands .sore throat ct ,I defiantly will not let her have it again ,

November 9, 2012 at 10:49 am
(15) Cat says:

I have had the flu shot once in my life and guess what? I got the flu immediately afterwards. I have never had the flu shot again and I also have never gotten the flu since then. Since the flu shot is not 100 percent effective against catching the flu anyway, I don’t have any plans to ever again get the vaccine. With that said, I have known many people to get hit really hard by the flu and for them it makes sense to get the vaccine as long as it doesn’t make them sick. My mother has the same reaction to vaccine that I did and she too will not get the shot again.

November 9, 2012 at 11:00 am
(16) Linda says:

I have had the flu before, and I thought that I was going to die, literally. It took me forever to get back to feeling like I was human and could walk. I have since, began taking the flu shot every year, but as early as I can get it. I believe if I take it early that I stand a better chance of it not bothering me. That is just my believe, not anything real.

November 9, 2012 at 11:02 am
(17) Kimberly says:

I get a flu shot every year and I think it’s helped me remain “flu” free. I have small grandchildren that get sick every year and I usually don’t. I have both Fibromyalgia and CFS.

November 9, 2012 at 11:10 am
(18) Debbie Webster says:

My CFS/FM started after a flu shot, 20 yrs ago. I stopped getting flu shots for many years after. Until, 2009 I had been exposed to the swine flu and ended up extremely ill. (I also have type 2 diabetes). I was one of many people that ended up in the hospital in ICU. My family didn’t know if I would make it, I’m happy to be here and say that I did! :) So… I get the flu shot every year and usually have a flare after.
For me, there is no choice.

November 9, 2012 at 11:39 am
(19) Christiane Omer says:

I have Fibromyalgia and a few associated conditions that wax and wane. Several years ago we were planning a trip to the Galapagos and it was recommended we get flu shots. I received two pediatric doses spread out over a few weeks as was suggested by the fibro community and my doctor. The injections created the worst flare in my 12 year history with this condition. The overall body pain, fatigue, and nerve pain in my arms and legs almost immobilized me and lasted about two months. We missed our dream vacation and lost a fortune. Now the Galapagos will have to wait for a cure and a lottery win! Everyone is unique, but I will never get a flu shot again.

November 9, 2012 at 11:47 am
(20) Michaele says:

No more flu shots for our family. 2 months or more of illness is worse than two weeks….

November 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm
(21) Cynthia says:

I get the flu shot every year as I have asthma. I also have FMS but other than a sore arm and feeling slightly more achy I have not had a bad reaction. My doctor told me not to get the H1N1 vaccine mostly because I am old enough that I lived through the swine flu epidemic in the 60′s and probably have immunity. I had a terrible reaction to my last pneumonia shot so no more of those for me. I have to be careful because I have a latex allergy and the seals on the vials have latex in them so they have to change needles before injection. I always take a Benadryl 50mg before I get the shot and extra strength Tylenol which seems to help. As has been stated before it is different for each of us.

November 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm
(22) Pamela says:

I get the flu shot and an pnemoia shot every three years. I have a 17 year old son who is diagnosed with down syndrome, Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy and I am his primary care giver. He is very suseptible to flu and pnemonia. I got pnemonia and then he did, I got the flu then he did again. Then we got pnemonia together. While the flu shot was hard on my system, it didn’t last long and my son is safer for it. I had no problems with the pnemonia shot. I am also asthmatic so the pnemonia shot was recommended by my doctor.

November 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(23) lowell says:

I have been getting the flu shot every year since I got Fma/cfs ..Butt this year It deffinetly ,set me back,then winter started to kick In .So dont realy know how much ,Not anymore If I get sick and die It was Meant to Be!!

November 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(24) cheryl says:

I always got my flu shot up until i started sweating and passed out.it only started after i found out i had fibromyalgia.

November 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm
(25) shastadaisy says:

I’ve have Fibromyalgia for the past 13 years. I’ve gotten a flu shot every year and have never gotten sick from the shot. It didn’t make my symptoms any worse than they already are. I’m willing to take the chance of it making me feel worse for a couple of days than getting the flu.

November 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm
(26) Donna says:

I’ve only had one flu shot and will never do it again. I was sick for months after getting it. ME has taken a toll on my immune system and I do tend to get sick every fall/winter but the after effects of the shot was far worse than any flu I’ve ever gotten.

November 9, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(27) Nancy M. says:

I have had flu shots for decades because I have asthma and need to avoid any respiratory illness. Some years the shot hurts and other years I hardly notice the sore arm. My FMS flairs have incresed substantially with age and this year, although I had no symptoms when I got the shot, within 4 hours my arm became very painflu and a flair soon followed. For two days after the shot I was utterly miserable due to the magnitude of the fibro pain and the sore arm and had to take Tylenol with codeine #3, which works well for me. I needed TC3 for those two days and on the third the flair began to diminish. I am inclined to believe the flair was definitely caused by the shot. Because I have asthma and now, diabetes, I will always get a flu shot, even at the risk of another flair. I have had the “real’ flu twice in my life and both times I was terribly ill for 7 or 8 days–also had a fever for several days.
Nancy–retired RN.

November 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm
(28) Maggie says:

I get them, because I lost my large colon and feel comprimised . Takes me forever to get over things.

November 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm
(29) Ginny says:

Many people with FMS and CFS have issues with methylation and genetic mutations of the MTHFR. This mutation affects 30-40% of the overall population, and is even more common in those affected by fibro.

I have a MTHFR mutation on 1298 and 677, and have periodically had severe and debilitating reactions to vaccines, due to my bodies inability to respond in a predictable manner. After my last vaccine reaction, 3 years ago, I was advised not to have flu vaccines again.

Fortuantely, MTHFR mutations are treatable, and I’m experiencing benefits from avoiding folic acid and taking methylfolate and methyl B12.

November 9, 2012 at 4:33 pm
(30) Laura says:

I get one as I’m a caregiver for my elderly mother and flu could be very serious for her. My local pharmacy is able to get me the thimerosol free shot as I have an allergy to thimerosol.
I also take low dose naltrexone therapy for my fibro and find it has helped me immensely with my fibro symptoms and pain. I have Hashimoto’s too and autoimmune conditions seem to run on my Mother’s side of the family.
Before I had my flu shot I had my acupuncture doctor stimulate the “immune” points and feel it helped a lot. I asked her about stimulating the immune system and she feels that doing the acupuncture helps to normalize rather than overstimulate the immune system. I do always feel so much better after a session- just wish I could have them more often.

November 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(31) Lyn Armstrong says:

I’ve had FM since the early 80′s, along with mega allergies, including eggs, so of course couldn’t get any flu shots. I experienced a healing for most of my allergies, so began getting the flu shots then (boy, did the doc watch me the first time !) My history in the last five years, WITH the flu shots: 2 years got pneumonia, year 3 got double pneumonia, year 4 got NOTHING :) , and this year I’ll be getting my shot this-coming week. My arm swells up and pains for about a week, but LOVE the no-flu now that I’ve finally had a good year, so will continue to get them. I also have bronchiectasis of the lungs, so figure it’s not prudent to take a chance.

November 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm
(32) Jenny says:

I’ve had a different problem with the flu shot. I don’t know if it is my sensitivity or the nurse’s approach but every time it feels like a terrible stab in the arm. My arm would be so sore for days afterwards. It makes me debate whether it is worth the pain to keep from getting the flu.

November 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm
(33) bd says:

Can’t handle the flu shot. Got it once and it left me violently ill for months with the worst flu ever, so now I have to avoid it.

November 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm
(34) Bec says:

I started getting the flu shot because i was just bouncing from one infection to the next from autumn right through to spring, I had whooping cough as a baby and prior to getting CFS/ME always had a tendency to end up with chest infections plus since being diagnosed also have developed asthma. Any flu/cold usually ends up with a bone rattling, stomach churning cough and gets to the point need ventoline just to catch my breath. I started getting the flu injections and usually feel lousy for about a week but since getting them the last few years i usually only get really sick with flu (or associated bugs) a couple of times a year which seems to coincide more with very stressful times (and i noticed last year when i dyed my hair – no more thanks) so for now will stick with it because a week of feeling lousy is nothing to being so exahusted you no longer have the energy to cough and spending weeks of (trying to) sleep almost sitting upright just to be able to breath and bearly walking a few steps before a coughing fit makes you stop (and having everyone stare at you). Plus now i have started working in a high school library (sooooo much less stress that being a law clerk) and i started in (aust) winter and given all the coughing snotty nose kids (they are great) that keep coming to my desk (where the tissues are) i didn’t really get sick this winter so that was a bonus
But i agree – everyone reacts differently and you need to find what is best for you.

November 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm
(35) Bec says:

I have had the flu shot for the last few years because prior to that (about the time i finally got diagnosed) i would just bounce from one flu to the next and after getting whooping cough as a baby and now developing asthma any time i get sick it turns into a chest infection with bone shaking, stomach churning coughing which leads to needing ventoline just to catch my breath.
I usually feel lousy for about a week after (aches/pains, bit of a sore throat, worse fybrio) but for me its much better than the alternative, especially now that i work at a high school (they actually recomended it at the interview) Since i’ve been getting it i haven’t been half as sick (with flu’s) that before and find that when i do its seems to coincide more with a stressful time (last one was the week i finished my old stressful job) or a reaction to something (last time i dyed my hair with a chemical dye ended up with a really bad chest infection with 4 weeks of very strong antibiotics)
but i agree that you have to find what works best for you as an individual because everyone is different and reacts differently

November 9, 2012 at 6:24 pm
(36) Christine says:

I got the flu shot once after I had developed fibromyalgia. I had a headache for 6 weeks straight. I never got the flu shot again I haven’t got the flu either. Also I avoided vaccines because I believe that I got fibromyalgia from the hepatitis b vaccine. One week after the third and last shot I got sick and was never the same again.

November 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm
(37) Edana says:

I get a flu shot every year and every year it throws me into a severe flare that can last up to six weeks. But, because of a multitude of illnesses, including moderate to severe kidney failure, in addition to Fibro and CFS, doctors tell me that a severe case of flu could easy lead to fatal complications. So the choice comes down to a long severe flare, or a chance of flu with a high likelihood of being fatal. I take the vaccination, then go on higher doses of pain killers for the next several weeks. Not fun, but the only sensible choice I can see.

November 9, 2012 at 6:32 pm
(38) BJ says:

I’ve always gotten a flu shot and with FMS and CFS I’ve never had a problem. Then one year it got late in the season and I said, Oh what the heck, I just won’t get the flu shot….bad decision. Got the flu and thought I was gonna die, the pain and aching was unbearable, lasted a full 2 weeks before I was completely well. I will NEVER miss my flu shot again.

November 9, 2012 at 6:39 pm
(39) Jane says:

I have fibro and asthma as well. Additionally I have had pneumonia twice in my life (I’m 63) and finally got a pneumonia shot about 10 years ago. I always make sure to get an annual flu shot which does make me feel lousy for about a week and then it’s gone. I would rather feel lousy for a week than to get the flu, in which the last time I had the flu was back in January of ’97. I remember this well because when I was very sick with the flu my father had died at the same time and I was too sick to fly to Phoenix AZ to attend his funeral. I still beat myself up over that as I never got a chance to say goodbye.

November 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm
(40) Annabella says:

I’m in contact with many people hence there is a lot of shaking hands. I do have a flu shot every year and Pneumonia shot every 5 years.. I’m an asthmatic as well and the shot will prevent me from very upsetting and painfully 3-4 months.. This year I did react a little and it took more than a minth to recover from the shot, however, we had a very bad year in Australia with flu and severe pneumonia that afflicted people for more than 6 months…Thanks to the shot I had and to my personal gel disinfectant that I carry in my bag ……I was spared from it….try to avoid the flu by washing or use the gel disinfectant on your hands all the time you came in contact with someone who sneeze or cough……good luck everyone….

November 10, 2012 at 12:30 am
(41) Merrilyn says:

What’s the point in having a flu shot for last year’s batch of flu when it has already mutated from that strain.
With chronic fatigue my immune system is shot to pieces anyway so my alternative therapies medicos say don’t risk the injection as that will positively knock you flat.
I work from home so hopefully can avoid all the sickies who persist on “soldiering on” and infecting the rest of us.

November 10, 2012 at 4:31 am
(42) Sharon says:

I always get a few shot. I went one year without one and got soooo sick I knew I was going to die. I’ve been a type1 diabetic for 32 years and suffered with fibromyalgia/CFS for 12 years. I believe I have too many health issues to not get a flu shot. If anything, the flu shot will strenghten my immune system.

November 10, 2012 at 5:45 am
(43) Donna says:

I’ve decided to get the flu shot because I care for my grand kids even though I have fibro. I need to stay healthy for them and you never know what they will bring in, from home or church.

November 10, 2012 at 7:53 am
(44) Charles says:

I’ve had CFS for ~12 years and thought it was brought on by work/stress (remember ‘Yuppie-flu’?). Then 4 years ago I had a Hepatitis B vaccination which precipitated a CFS flare-up. I checked back on my medical records and discovered that a month before I developed CFS originally I had had a BCG vaccination. Might just be coincidence but I now avoid shots unless I really think it necessary.

November 10, 2012 at 11:39 am
(45) Karen V. says:

I had never gotten a flu shot, but decided to get one this year since I work in a public school system. I have just recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but seeing the list of symptoms believe I have had if for probably a long time. Anyway, I have now had the flu 2 times in the last 2 months since I got the shot, the 2nd time really bad. I hardly ever had it before this, maybe once every 5 years or so. Will this happen every time I am exposed to the flu now?

November 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm
(46) ljattia says:

I have CFS,FM, and mitochondrial disease. I got the flu shot and was bed-ridden for 10 days afterwards. I am OK now.

November 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm
(47) shosh says:

the last time I had the flu shot I got pneumonia and then had a relapse 6 months later. now I take a homeopathic remedy against flu – 3 tabs once a week under the tongue and this seems to be working. good luck to allof you whatever you choose.

November 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm
(48) GreenSearcher says:

I may have missed it, but I didn’t see anyone saying what else they do to avoid the flu other than the shot.
I will not get the shot; it is based on the previous years flu, and often the flu virus is different the following year. As far as the swine flu goes, I firmly believe it was a manipulation of the public by the pharmaceutical industry to sell a new vaccine. I also refuse the pneumonia shot as I still have an almond size knot in my arm from the shot more than a decade ago.

What I do to avoid the flu is keep my vitamin D levels at 50 or above, which means I must take supplements since the sun rays are to indirect to receive enough rays on the skin to trigger Vit D production from Sept to March. Most north Americans have low Vit D levels as a result and also because we spend most of our lives indoors. When we go outside we slather ourselves with sunscreens.All most of us need, during the longer days of the year, is to spend 10-20 minutes in natural sunlight w/out sunscreen, not letting ourselves burn or even get red. Once our skin reddens, the production of vit D stops. I am not advocating getting dark tans or baking yourself in the sun, just a mild exposure mid morning or late afternoon. For folks in the medical or educational field, flu shots might be wise, providing they have been effective in the past. These individuals don’t have the option avoid contact with ill persons. Of course, the best thing for staying healthy is to wash our hands, frequently particularly after touching surfaces in public areas or money.
Enough soap box time, stay healthy every one

November 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm
(49) Sherry says:

Hi,

This is the perfect subject for me!!

I have my flu shot yearly because I’ve had the flu and I ended up with
pneumonia 4x. However a few years ago a lump formed in my arm directly from the flu, after 2 years of a sore lump in my arm it was removed leaving me with a 1″ scar.

My Dr was concerned so I was tested for each component involved in the flu shot with no reaction. I was told that when I have my flu shot I must have a Dr present and wait 30 mins before I leave… well nothing happens then… but by the next day the welt on my arm is so large it goes around meets the other side. (I’m not a small girl) The welt is heavy and sore. I’m then on antihistamines ever 4 hours FOR ALMOST 3 WEEKS! I hate them but they take the heat out but when it flares it’s so hot… I’m off the antihistamines now and the welt is now about 2″ x 2″ and it has now developed a sore lump right in the middle… this is my ‘usual’ reactions to the flu shot… Pain, inflammation, lumps… my lumps usually disappear in the next few MONTHS.

I have FM, RA, PA, OA so I’m on immune suppressants to control the RA & PA

I would love to hear from anyone who has this problem or any idea of what’s happening to me…should I forget the shot and risk pneumonia?

Thanks

November 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm
(50) AnotherName says:

I have had the flu shot for more years than I can remember and have had notill side effects other than a mildly sore muscle at the injection site for a day or two. Struggling with Fibro symptoms is difficult enough so, if I can up my chances of not contracting the flu by getting vaccinated I say, “Bring it on”.

November 11, 2012 at 7:00 pm
(51) Judy Nunnelley says:

I am 64 and have had CFS and FM for over 25 years. I always get the flu shot with no problems. UNTIL LAST YEAR. I got my shot and by the time I arrived home my arm was swollen like a fist and red and sore. I went back to the Dr. and he said I will never be able to get another shot again. That the next time could be serious. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want the flu. Yeah CFS and FM have taken so much of my like away but the flu is bad. It is a bad attack on the body. I am considering going to the ER and taking a half a shot. At least I will be in the right place. Will let you know. God Bless you brave souls.

November 12, 2012 at 9:15 am
(52) Jocelyn W. says:

A flu shot is what kicked my ME/CFS off in the first place. My specialist has told me never to get another one, and I have to agree.

November 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm
(53) Mic says:

Sounds like a waste of money to me, as I have found little to no evidence of effectiveness, especially among those in their mid sixties or older. But I am not an MD, so I suggest that you “Google” the National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) for the latest research.

November 13, 2012 at 11:36 am
(54) Jane says:

I was one of those who never got a flu shot until I took a medical LOA from my job as a pediatric RN for three months. This was just as my CFS/Fibro symptoms were beginning to resurface, but not yet formally diagnosed. Anyway, my PMD talked me into getting a flu shot before returning to work to help safeguard me from getting the flu since the season was just beginning. Well, 2-3 months later, I got the flu, followed by a sinus infection and bronchitis for which I needed an inhaler for the first time in my life. I was sick for better than 2 months. I will never get another flu shot. My immune system can’t take it and have since been advised by more than one MD to forgo flu shots.

November 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(55) Marianne Estes says:

The last time I had the flu, years ago when as an educator I spent my days close to children, I became convinced that it is too hard on me. I thought I would never get over the residual symptoms, so tired, dragged out, fibro-flare big time. So, I get a flu shot every year.

November 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm
(56) jojo says:

i got the flu shot back in dec. of 91 (the very end like 27th) and ended up with pnumonia…… of which the tiredness and achyness never went away. my dr finally told me I had CFS. so no i have never taken the flu shot again. I do get the pnumonia shot and have no issues there. Funny thing is i have’nt had the flu in years.

November 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm
(57) LYNDA MATTHEWS says:

I had the flu vaccine several years ago before being diagnosed with CFS. I have also had the BCG Vaccine, and also Hep. B. After each event I was very ill, and particularly after the Hep. B, which was when my symptoms began to gather momentum. Consequently, I am most reluctant to have any immunisation.

Hope this helps

November 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(58) Diana L. Burris says:

I have had fibromyalgia,CFS, Chemical sensitivities,and many other symptoms as a result of fibro for over 20 years . I feel like my immune system is so low that I don’t want to risk getting the flu. For ME: I get the flu shot every year. I understand those who do not because they have reactions to the shot. Any way that I can be preventative in my medical care,is important to me,

November 16, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(59) Mary says:

At first I did not get flu shots, thinking it would give me the flu. But the funny thing is that I used to get tons of colds and the flu before getting Fibromyalgia, but since coming down with this I have only had one bout of a cold in all 12 years. My theory is that my immune system actually works overtime, killing colds but also fighting my own body as well (hence the fibro symptoms). After the H1N1 scare I started getting flu shots and have had no reaction to them except for the pain of the shot itself.

November 16, 2012 at 5:27 pm
(60) Mic says:

Be sure to read what (48) GreenSearcher says. Lots of good and useful advice.

November 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm
(61) Spookiesmom says:

I always got a flu shot, I worked around kids who didn’t understand how to cover mouths and sneezes. Arm hurt a little bit, nothing major. Always got one really bad cold per year. Also am T2.

This year I am in cancer treatment. I knew my immune system was compromised, but was very surprised by the NO SHOT response from the oncologist. I haven’t, and won’t get it. But I avoid crowds.

November 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm
(62) Sandra says:

I always get the flu shot and any other vaccinations offered. While I have fibro, interstitial cystitis, migraines and a whole host of skeletal issues, my husband has heart and lung disease. I don’t want to be the cause of him getting really sick.

I’ve never had more than a slightly sore arm after any vaccination. Years when I’ve been late getting a shot or been exposed to garden variety cold viruii, I’ve sometimes gotten bronchitis, pneumonia and sinus infections. Way worse than the shot. Worth it to me, even if the effectiveness isn’t 100%.

I was an ICU nurse for many years. I’ve seen what flu can do, especially to those who are immune compromised like infants, young children, the elderly, anyone with other medical conditions.

I would have to research it, but I am pretty sure that they have taken mercury out of all vaccinations because so many people wouldn’t get their children vaccinated due to it.

November 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm
(63) kaytee says:

@ Sandra– no, “they” haven’t taken mercury out of vaccines. Unless you can talk your provider into using “single dose” vials, you will be getting a dose of mercury, as well as other toxic substances (formaldehyde, detergents, etc.). Thimasol is used as a preservative in the multi-dose vials.

I got sick every year I had a flu shot– inflammation and heat at the site, plus what was probably a “fibro flare” (was not dx then) with muscle and joint pain, headache and fever for the next several days. Haven’t had the shot, nor the flu, for 27 years now.

November 16, 2012 at 9:56 pm
(64) nancy says:

Still got the flu after I get the flu shot every time,even though I get sick within 3 hours of the shot doctorssay it is not from the shot.i think it is.

November 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm
(65) Nitalynn says:

I was talked into getting 3 shots on the same day two years ago, tetanus, flu and pneumonia. I am pretty sure it was either the flu or pneumonia I reacted to. I spent 3 days in bed. I was told in all likelyhood it was the pneumonia but I have not gotten either one sence then. I don’t know what would happen if I got the flu but I am afraid to get the shot.

November 21, 2012 at 8:53 am
(66) Aurora says:

I have Lupus/FM/RA and I am very sensitive to chemicals. I don’t like the formaldahyde (sp) in the flu vacine to be placed in my body. I opt to not get the flu shot. About 3 years ago I did get the flu (from my husband) and I was sick 3 days longer than him. He got the flu shot. My calculation is that I take 3 x longer to heal from everything, and if I get sick, I will take 3x longer either way, so I opt to not have more chemicals in my body and take the change of catching the flu. Fortunately, aside from this one time, I have not had the flu in 8 years.

November 25, 2012 at 1:52 am
(67) vickie says:

I received a flu shot 4 weeks ago and, starting the following day, had a total fibro and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome relapse. I’ve now been out of commission for a month. I’m 62 and can’t ever remember a time when I got this sick from the shot. I’m seriously considering not getting a flu shot next year.

December 12, 2012 at 7:46 am
(68) Kelly Stout says:

I got the combined flu shot a few weeks ago and was in bed for a week. my entire body was hurting so bad! I have had shots my entire life with no problem. Never again!

December 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm
(69) Juli says:

I always get a flu shot, I have asthma along with fibro and my diagnosing dr. said that the flu could kill me. Therefore I got my flu shot. I have also had a bout of breast cancer. My oncologist was cheering me on when I asked her about the flu shot. She told me that my immune system was so compromised with the cancer that the flu shot was a must but to make sure I did not leave the clinic for at least 30 minutes.

December 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm
(70) Leslie F. says:

I have Fibro, chronic myofascial pain, migraine with and without aura, basilar migraines, Celiac Disease, etc., etc. etc. and have received conflicting advice on whether the flu shot is right for me.

I also have a couple of family members with severe cardiac conditions, kidney failure, etc. and have always taken the flu shot to protect them — with varying reactions (sometimes none, sometimes mild, sometimes moderate to severe). Except for the year of H1N1 when I succumbed to popular opinion and did not get the shot because I was concerned with things I’d read about the adjuvant used.

I got the flu. Then I got pneumonia as a result of the flu. My lungs are permanently scarred; my lung function is permanently reduced and I will forever be at risk of respiratory complications. All because I didn’t get my flu shot. For what it’s worth, my mother also decided not to get the flu shot that year. She also caught pneumonia as an influenza complication. She died. (Mom was healthy and under 65).

None of us like to feel ill as the result of a voluntary action we could have avoided. But it is much worse to be permanently at risk, disabled or dead because of a voluntary action. People who cannot get the shot rely on those of us who can for herd immunity. Those who love us rely on us to protect ourselves so we will be there for them. It behooves us to make the best decision we can, whatever that may be, from a base of knowledge rather than fear, myth, or quackery.

December 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(71) Grammy says:

I also have lupus so I get a
flu shot every year.

December 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm
(72) MK Gilbert says:

I had the free “swine flu” shot a couple yrs ago and woke up real dizzy the next day~that lasted several days, but was not accompanied by other serious symptoms. Still, I’m afraid to ever have another one, as I seem to be overly sensitive to so many things. Had Pink Disease(mercury poisoning) as an infant, and screamed and ran/tried to hide when I had to get shots as a child~grew up overseas, so had to get lots of them! Wonder if I subconsciously knew that they were poison to me?
Also, when working at a nursing home several yrs ago the residents were dropping like flies (a couple every week~with fevers) for weeks after getting their flu shots!

December 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm
(73) Barb says:

I have FMS. and get a mild flareup from the flu shot, however I am also diabetic and I’m on auto immune suppressants because of a transplant.

I get a flu shot every year, rather than risking getting a bad case of the flu.

December 15, 2012 at 11:49 am
(74) Penny Oesterling says:

For the first time in probably 30 yrs. I’m not getting the flu shot. I have fibro , ME/CFS, severe chronic migraines, and lots of damage (arthritis, etc.) to my body due to a severe car accident ’89 plus I have asthma. I’ve always been told I had to have one. But, I’ve had an “unknown” serious illness for the past 13 months that affects my neurological system with ataxia and many other symptoms and basically has me housebound. Am presently waiting on referral to Duke Univ. Medical Hospital. I understand the flu vaccine has a neurotoxin in it that serves as a preservative. Since I am having so much trouble with nerves all over my body as it is, I don’t think it wise to chance it this year, although I admit I can’t imagine how sick I’ll be if I get the flu. On a side note, I was just informed by my neighbor (when discussing flu shots) that her veterinarian had gotten the flu shot for the first time last yr. and was paralyzed from it. The vet is finally recovering and is back to work 2 hrs./ day. I know that must be a very rare occurrence, but what’s been happening to my body is also very rare and unknown by the many doctors who’ve seen me, and so I don’t want to do anything to possibly make things worse.

December 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm
(75) Mbloomer says:

I am one of the people that has had to learn the hard way–No vaccine. I have seen days of Polio and Measles killing so I am not against those vaccines. However I am one of the people with an immune system that overreacts. Rubella vaccine caused me to have Rubella a second time. And then it started my ME symptoms. I never completely recovered from it. However I continued to get vaccines as recommended. 1978 Swine flue left me with no energy reserves and still I received Hep B vaccine in 1990 and was left an invalid in extreme pain with the gamut of about 60 ME symptoms. I still did not learn and did the N1H1 vaccine and spent a winter struggling to breath with N1H1 pneumonia. I am writing this to warn myself as much as anyone else. THINK BEFORE YOU GET VACCINE.

December 16, 2012 at 2:11 am
(76) Mary says:

I take Vitamin D3 instead of the flu shot. Studies show that D3 is more effective in preventing the flu than the shot! And so much better for you.

I will NEVER again take a flu shot. Everyone I know who has used 5,000 – 8,000 Vitamin D3 has avoided the flu (among other illnesses). You can lower the dose after flu season, or when your doctor says your level of D3 is high enough.

January 10, 2013 at 11:51 am
(77) Rae says:

YMMV.

I havent gotten flu shot in 10 years. Primarily because my system can’t seem to fend it off, same with the pneumonia shot. I get the shot and Im down down for weeks. I also have numerous allergies that are quite severe and require I carry epipens 24/7. They believe the last time I had the flu and pneumonia shot I might have had an allergic reaction so I just can’t risk it because my allergies have progressed exponentially in the last 10 years.

That said I am in the middle of something *flu* like since about Dec. 23rd. Achey, Chills, Clammy more than feverish, sinuses plugged like someone put me in closet with a dozen live poinsettias (thankfully not causing anaphalaxia – Im hyper allergic to shrimp, shellfish, latex, and because they are the same family: poinsettias), ongoing headache, exhaustion, burning/watery eyes, a deep chest cough and nausea. For all intensive purposes like my normal life with fibro but all amped up. This makes about 18 or 19 days now and while I seem to get better for a day or two, it sucks me back under and then sick for 4-5 days. I’m taking echinacea, goldenseal, vitamin D, chewable vitamins, 5-HTP, melatonin with theanine, and some dayquil/nyquil. I’m former gastric bypass so my true medications are limited acetominophen non habitually is about the only allowable pain reliever.

Early to bed early to rise is my mantra but I’m winding down, work is a bit of a stress wreck with long hours and weekends right now and I was barely coping with 40. I’m thinking if Im not bouncing back by friday Im going to cut out all the meds and nutrients over the weekend my system is probably just tapped out and needs a detoxing. SO glad I decided to pass on the holidays this year and spent 4 days resting even if it was a bit lonely.

January 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm
(78) Camper Jen says:

For many reasons, I choose not to get the flu shot. So far this season, my son has had the flu (H1N1) and my husband just had it (he didn’t feel like going to get the actual diagnosis). Interestingly enough, I haven’t gotten sick. I’m having some mild cold symptoms. At this point in my journey with chronic pain, I am convinced that it is because of my shift towards using CAM (Complementary and Alternative Medicine). Over the past 9 months, I have done several cleanses (liver, gallbladder and bowel) and I also take supplements etc. I think the most important thing is that each person finds a trusted provider (either western or natural or both) and make the decision based on their own research and gut feelings. I think it is important to not make decisions based on fear, paranoia and definitely not because “well the doctor told me to do it”.

January 18, 2013 at 3:49 pm
(79) Christine says:

I have taken the flu shot for the lat 4 years and last year also had the pneumonia shot. I have not reacted to them at all nor have I got flu. So I will be taking it again.

January 29, 2013 at 8:57 am
(80) Donna says:

I was googling flu shot and fibro because for the first time ever, I got a flu shot this year. My Fibro is the worst it has been in years since getting the shot. I wanted to see if anyone had the same conclusion.

September 3, 2013 at 4:12 pm
(81) sue says:

I had the flu shot for many years with only a sore arm to show for it.Unknown to me I had had the symptoms of fibro for many years and was begining to get worse Then I when I had the shot 3yrs ago I was in so much pain the next day with electric shock like pains all over that took 2days to pass.It left me unable to use my arms without sever pain and stiffness and pain in both legs making walking difficult, took 2 years to settle down.I now think that I had a massive flair ,though my doctor does not agree All I know is that before the shot i walked for an hour a day and worked as a cleaner .Now I am in constant pain and struggle to walk for 5mins.Never ever again.By the way I am one of the lucky ones who does not get colds or flu.

October 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(82) Kerri says:

I have had THE FLU and I was down for 2 weeks with another 3-4 weeks of horrible Fibro flare. I have not missed a flu shot since. The pain in my arm and fatigue for a few days is nothing.

October 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(83) catt49 says:

Unfortunately, one of the main reasons why we have Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia and other auto immune problems is primarily because of adverse reactions we have had to prior vaccines. The answer to getting anymore vaccines, if we suffer with auto immune, is a dead NO! My mindset would be NO, regardless.

October 11, 2013 at 5:54 pm
(84) Libby says:

I had the H1N1 shot and ended up in emergency. I couldn’t move my jaw then my shoulders, then my arms…. It gradually worked its way down my body. With lots of painkillers, steroids and anti inflammatories, I gradually got better but it took months.
Obviously, no more shots for me,

October 11, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(85) Anthony Brown says:

I do not get the Flu shot due to very adverse reactions in the past.
However- my wife and sons do get the shot- which does offer me some protection.

I also faired very badly with my reaction to the pneumonia shot.

Now I have a conundrum- a few folks around me have had shingles and it was excruciating for them.

I am really debating whether or not to get the shingles shot

October 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm
(86) Faye McSparren says:

I haven’t had a flu shot since around 1989. The last time I had the flu was at least 11 years ago. I am pretty much housebound and my husband gets the flu shot. I do practice washing my hands a lot. I have diabetes and hypothyroidism. Back in the 80′s I used to get the flu all the time.

October 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm
(87) Dianne says:

I’ve always had the flu shot and never had a reaction to it. I also have never had the flu even though other family members had because they did not have the shot. My daughter-in law had it last Christmas and gave it to my daughter. Both were very ill for at least 2 weeks so I was glad I didn’t get it. I don’t think my body could have handled it very well.

October 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm
(88) Sherry says:

I have a lot of problems with autoimmune diseases. I am diabetic, have had shingles twice, paniculitis (skin disease), adrenal depletion and have been battling yeast and bacterial infections for 6 months. I am fortunate to have a medical/holistic doctor, but I am very worried about a flu vaccination this year. In the past, I have gotten them, but my grandkids usually give me something every year. I’m really torn. Trying to build up my system while reducing stress, inflammation and the other messes.

Whew, some days I worry I will never get this under management. I was diagnosed 12 yrs. ago. It could be worse and am thankful I have a wonderful dr., but wish there were more docs that treated and understood our problems.

October 11, 2013 at 10:34 pm
(89) MK Gilbert says:

I got the swine flu shot and it made me real dizzy for several days afterwards~I took that as a bad sign and haven’t gotten a flu shot since~besides, they say they are not very effective anyway, as the flu virus mutates so quickly. 9 years ago when i was working at a nursing home a couple elderly residents were dying every week after getting their flu shots! I’m one of those super-sensitive people who over-reacts to so many things, I’d rather have the flu than the side-effects, I think.

October 11, 2013 at 10:51 pm
(90) Annabella says:

Hello everyone,as a public speaker I’m in contact with so many people and have both fibromyalgyia and CFS. It’s imperative for me to get a flu shot every year and I pneumonia shot every 5 years after a bout of pneumonia 4 years ago. Although had the vaccine this year, the flu attempted to attack me via sore throat etc.. (.it has been very bad in Australia), however, at the first symptoms I took a dose of Olive Leaf Liquid Extract and it worked wonder.. Now there is always a bottle in the fridge; also hygiene plays an important part..shaking hand with people its very risky…for that I carry with me a small bottle of moisturising Hand Sanitiser and discreetly disinfect my hands…Hope these tips will be of help for the readers….good luck and wishes of good health

October 12, 2013 at 12:09 am
(91) ElleJ says:

Employees were required to get flu shots at the medical complex I worked for. When I would get the shot my arm would swell like a softball and I would have myalgia and fever dizziness and overall ill feeling.I just could not get well. I found out that flu shots DO contain Thimerisol, which is MERCURY. I finally was allowed to opt out of taking them due to the side effects. I am not allergic to eggs–my immune system is on overdrive and is rejecting the chemical storm in the shot. They are not proven to be remotely effective. It is all hype and is so pushed on the public now by promoting fear of the flu. I would rather let my immune system fight it naturally than to compromise my immune system further to where I will get sicker. NEVER another flu shot for me!!

October 12, 2013 at 5:55 am
(92) Austin says:

I am booked in for my second ever flu shot as its been very strongly recommended by my Doc and also by the Rheumatology Nurse, I have various other problems ie Asthma, COPD and now respiratory depression caused by the Butrans patch that I now have for the constant pain. I have noticed recently that I am always tired and searched on here about CFS and as my partner is a primary school teacher the chances of me being in close proximity of the flu virus is very high. I do recall that last year I felt unwell after the shot ( Read that as even more so ) than usual I was hesitant this year but it is happening next saturday so I will see how I go.
Austin

October 12, 2013 at 10:31 am
(93) Rachael says:

I hate when these fall campaigns to get the flu shot start up. The flu is a relatively benign illness in most people and lasts about one to two weeks. I wonder, for how many genetically, susceptible people (those with already up-regulated immunity) will the flu shot be the trigger to initiate ME/CFS. Instead, of having the flu for a week or so, some will end up feeling like they have a terrible flu, for the rest of their lives.

October 12, 2013 at 1:12 pm
(94) Doreen says:

Sita – there is a new flu formulation this year that is specifically for people with egg allergies. It is called FluBlok. Ask your allergist about it!

October 12, 2013 at 4:26 pm
(95) sue smith says:

I usually get the flu every winter; however, when I don’t get the flu shot, the flu doesn’t seem as bad or last as long or repeat. That may not be true, if I was relapsing from CFS but I choose no shot and take the risk or hope the flu will pass or not come at all

October 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm
(96) Anne says:

I have FMS and diabetes and heart disease and COPD and the flu shot makes me very ill so I have to take a chance and not get the shot.

October 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm
(97) Rebecca says:

I can’t remember if I got a flu shot or not last year. (I was planning a winter wedding, can’t remember much beyond that…) I’d rather not get one because I feel like my immune system is already so weird, I shouldn’t mess with it. But I have asthma, so not getting one is a risk.

Getting flu shots correspond with when I first got really sick in high school, but it was also when my brother got cancer, so the it was probably the stress that set off my first big bought of symptoms.

October 12, 2013 at 10:15 pm
(98) debra says:

I got the flu shot and only got a sore arm. I have been in a flare for a few weeks and it didn’t make it worse. I have also had thyroiditis and pancreatitis from auto-immune diseases’ so I don’t take any chances since I’m an autoimmune magnet.

October 12, 2013 at 11:55 pm
(99) Esther Siebert says:

My doc is an internist/infectious disease specialist. He told me to get the regular flu shot, saying the stronger shots will make me sick. He also told my well husband to only get the regular one.

Over the years, I’ve always gotten my shots and it feels to me like I get an improvement from them. As if it gives my immune system something to work on and makes me feel better. Anyone else have this experience?

Esther

October 13, 2013 at 8:05 am
(100) Debra An says:

I too have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Fibromyalgia, CFS, in addition; ADHD (contradiction of terms), Patella femoral syndrome, Carpool Tunnel syndrome, TMJ, Sleep Apnea, Insomnia, etc. and Numerous Allergies (Medication, Environmental and Food) which does include being allergic to eggs and many other foods. While in the military I knew that taking the flu vaccine would make me sicker than waiting to get the flu naturally, but I was forced to take the flu shot anyway. Now fast forward 3 years after I get out of the U.S. Army and come to find out the reason why I have gotten extremely ill with the flu shoot, that it would end me up in the hospital each time, due to my allergy of eggs! Yes, eggs as eggs are in the flu shot. My father also gets sicker when he gets the flu shoot and I told him to ask for a test to see if he might be allergic to eggs too. So far he just avoids the flu shoot as I do like if it were the plague! I find ever since the military I rarely get a cold or flu and it does not last very long, for my husband his cold or flu will last twice as long as mine and his will be worst, could be because he smokes or does not take care of himself when he is sick. I baby myself when I get sick and rest, rest, rest, and increase my vitamin Ester C and add more antioxidants to my diet, I do not forget to take my zinc, which I found also helps with less gray hair (lol)! For all of us we all avoid taking the flu shot. I always hope everyone else takes it, so that I am less likely to catch it. Oh another thing, when I go to public places I bring along my disinfectant and use paper towels to open doors or let someone open a door for me, (like my husband). I have to constantly remind my husband that sick people come to hospitals too, not just healthy people, so if he sees anything available to disinfect his hands use it!

October 13, 2013 at 11:46 am
(101) Maria says:

Some years ago I got a flu shot and a pnuemoccocal (?) vaccine at the same time. I had already been sick with CFS for many years. Immediately afterward I was the sickest I’d been in many years with a flu-like illness. I will NEVER get a flu shot again. My husband’s job FORCES everyone to get flu shots — I don’t know what I’d do if I wound up in that situation.

October 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm
(102) linda crosby says:

I get one every year and will get one this year too. I don’t need any more aches and pain . I have never had a problem with flu shots.

October 14, 2013 at 3:45 am
(103) Tawnya says:

I used to never got the flu shot until my daughter delivered until my first grandchild was born in December of 2008. I was told there was a good change it would set off a flare up of epic proportions but that was the price I was willing to take to help keep my grandbaby that much safer. I got a sore arm the first year. In 2009 I thought there was something in the shot that was going to maim me. My arm and my left rib cage were terrible painful for close to a month. 2010 Very sore arm for days and felt like I had a mild flu for a couple of days. 2011, same, 2012horrible arm and mild flu. Wasn’t anything I wouldn’t do, especially since I have a grandchild.

October 15, 2013 at 10:30 am
(104) Carol says:

I have had Fibro for a number of years – long enough ago that I was in a have survey to recognise that Fibro was actually a disease/syndrome. Unfortunately – I have many/most of the side effects as well. I do not need to list them as everyone here is well aware of them. I then ended up with osteoarthritis to go with it . I have fantastic Drs – my Family Doctor a real gem – very unusual in a small community. They worked together to bring in a suitable system for control ,,not using heavy painkillers. I now have been diagnosed with osteoporosis; and once again they are trying to find a suitable control system
Back to the topic “Flu Shot” my immunity is very low – but I have had the flu shot for many years……The one year I decided NOT to get it – I was sick all winter…..I will be going back to GET my flu shot again this year— feeling somewhat more unwell for a few weeks is better than all winter

October 15, 2013 at 11:09 am
(105) Victoria says:

Lupus, fibro, epilepsy, kidney disease. Had shot a week ago and just getting back on my feet!! But I know that getting the shot is more important than getting the actual flu, which would put me in hospital.

October 15, 2013 at 1:49 pm
(106) Carol Deglau says:

I am a nurse, working in long term care. I had the flu 2 years in a row that i didnt get the vaccine, i now get it annually to protect myself an my patients from the flu. The elderly die from the flu.

October 16, 2013 at 5:12 pm
(107) Tracy L Tamblyn says:

I get one due to having asthma, hypothyroidism, RA, and Fibromyalgia. I have previously had pneumonia, pleurisy, and bronchitis. Without getting the flu shot I would suffer multiple instances of bronchitis. So I find that it helps me to get one.

October 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm
(108) Tammy Armstrong-Williams says:

No. I do not take a flu shot. I have never had a reaction to the flu shot, but I have never taken one. My late- father had reactions to flu shots, each time he took a flu shot, he would develop the flu. My late -maternal grandmother, also, had a very bad reaction to the flu shot. I have so many problems with my fibromyalgia that I have decided it would be unwise for me to chance taking the shot.

October 19, 2013 at 12:55 am
(109) Mary says:

(48) GreenSearcher is on track. I wholeheartedly agree. One study I read said the number of people who got the flu after the shot was HIGHER than the number of people who did NOT GET the shot and just took Vitamin D supplements.
If you feel you should get the shot, at least ask for the preservative free type. It seems to be the preservatives that cause most of the problems.
I have 5 autoimmune diseases, so I stay away from the shot. I’ve done just fine for many, many years without the shot, and I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren!

October 19, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(110) MARJORIE says:

I recevied a flu shot this past Wed. and felt sick within two hours. I had a terrible cough and was extrmely fatigued. The next day I felt like I was under anesthesia. I got the shot because I have three joint replacements, and I fear getting sick and an infectoin going to one of the implants. I will have to think about this next year.

October 20, 2013 at 1:03 am
(111) Deborah says:

I have CFS and FM, and I refused the flu shot yesterday at the doctor’s office. I got a flu shot last year and went into a two month relapse. The reaction started several hours after the shot and got worse. I might as well as had the flu, because I felt horrible. However, I had influenza in the 1990′s and I could barely get out of bed, even to go to the bathroom. That was a horrible experience. I guess the only way to find out is try. I’m not doing it again.

November 12, 2013 at 7:20 am
(112) Bobbie Irving says:

I will not poison my body with all the toxins that are contained in the flu shot. Why don’t you people Google this it will tell you exactly what is in from embalming fluid.mercury. Allimimiium,and other toxins the Doctors have to push for the jab as they have to by the big drug company’s please first find out what is in them the shot kills you not the flu if you have a good immune system your body will fight any thing that comes along.

January 5, 2014 at 5:42 pm
(113) Barbara says:

I have had a severe worsening of my symptoms since I got the flu shot this fall. I did not realize until today that this could happen. I had used grapefruit seed extract and seen significant improvement with that. I was even able to hike again. After the shot I am once again struggling to do the smallest physical tasks. I do not know for sure this is what caused my relapse but I do not intend to get the flu shot again.

March 21, 2014 at 1:02 pm
(114) Joan davenport says:

I have had flu shots for many years and always ran a fever and sore arm for a week. The nurse finally asked last year if I would like to try the shot with No preservative. I did not know about it, so I said yes. No problem at all. Thought all of you would like to know this.