1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Why I Hope Morgan Freeman Becomes a Fibromyalgia Spokesman

By June 24, 2013

Morgan Freeman, the much-lauded actor with the amazing voice, has fibromyalgia. It apparently first came out in an Esquire magazine article last July. Here's the part of the article where it comes up:

Every so often [Morgan Freeman] grabs his left shoulder and winces. It hurts when he walks, when he sits still, when he rises from his couch, and when he missteps in a damp meadow. More than hurts. It seems a kind of agony, though he never mentions it. There are times when he cannot help but show this, the fallout from a car accident four years ago, in which the car he was driving flipped and rolled, leaving Freeman and a friend to be pulled from the car using the Jaws of Life. Despite surgery to repair nerve damage, he was stuck with a useless left hand. It is stiffly gripped by a compression glove most of the time to ensure that blood doesn't pool there. It is a clamp, his pain, an icy shot up a relatively useless limb. He doesn't like to show it, but there are times when he cannot help but lose himself to a world-ending grimace. It's such a large gesture, so outside the general demeanor of the man, that it feels as if he's acting.

"It's the fibromyalgia," he says when asked. "Up and down the arm. That's where it gets so bad. Excruciating." ~by Tom Chiarella, Esquire

According to the Facebook page for ProHealth (a site that sells supplements and also provides a lot of great information,) a large fibromyalgia organization has approached Mr. Freeman about being a spokesperson. Some people have apparently said they don't think he should be, with the reasons being that he's a man, and that because he's still so active that it would make people think we were capable of much more that we are.

I have two things to say about that. #1: both of those "problems" are rubbish. #2: it would be a huge boon for all of us if he accepted.

Before I go into why, though, I will say this. As someone who talks about her health for a living, I completely understand if he's reluctant to do so. It changes the way people see you, and it forces you to put extremely personal information out for public consumption. Anyone who's ever blogged or used social media knows how nasty the public can be, and it's exponentially worse for celebrities. (However, I have to say that my readers here are amazing - I almost never have to deal with nastiness, so thank you for that!)

OK, back to the two points above.

"He's a man," and "He's too active."

1. Yes, he's a man, and 90% of the people diagnosed with fibromyalgia are women. It's true that he's not representative of the majority. Here's the thing, though - while we may not like it, it's a fact that the general public takes men more seriously. Part of the condition's image problem is that it's perceived as an "old woman's illness." If a famous, well-respected man steps up and says he has it, it'll shatter the stereotype and do us a world of good.
  2. Yes, he's still quite active, and many of us are bedridden or nearly so, and even a lot of us who've made huge improvements still can't do a fraction of what he does. In that way, again, he's not representative of the majority. However, in the article he talks about having to give up activities he loves, and then there's this great quote: "There is a point to changes like these. I have to move on to other things, to other conceptions of myself." No, he's not bedridden - but he understands the loss and change of chronic illness. Besides, can we have an effective spokesperson who can't make it to the set for a shoot, or travel to speaking engagements? Not likely.

It Would be a Huge Boon

The obvious comparison is Michael J. Fox and the tremendous difference he's made for Parkinson's disease research and awareness. Also, who hasn't heard of Jerry's Kids? And tennis great Venus Williams raised awareness of Sjogren's syndrome just by announcing that she has it and being open about it in interviews.

A celebrity spokesperson with an illness can make headlines and have an impact like nothing else. Morgan Freeman isn't just any celebrity, either - he's a long-time A-lister who's face and voice are instantly recognizable. He's intelligent, likable, and credible. He shatters some stereotypes just by having fibromyalgia, and more by having a great attitude about life in spite of it.

Imagine this scenario: a medical convention plans to have multiple seminars on fibromyalgia. Would your doctor attend? Do you think he/she would be more likely to attend if Morgan Freeman was speaking? Would his presence make the turnout better at an Awareness Day event? I'm thinking ... yeah.

A personal plea now to Mr. Freeman:

While I understand and respect that it's a difficult thing to do, I sincerely hope that you will become a fibromyalgia spokesman. Millions of us live not just with the pain, the exhaustion, the crippling fibro fog - but with disbelief in our illness. Husbands tell wives to get off their lazy butts and do something. Friends tell us we'd feel better if we'd just go to the gym. Doctors roll their eyes at us and regard us as whiners. We're in desperate need of a strong, credible voice like yours telling people that this condition is real, that it's devastating, and that we need a lot more than a little time on the treadmill to get better.

Mr. Freeman, we need a voice like yours to call for more research. We need to understand what fibromyalgia does to our bodies so that we can treat it more effectively, and so that we can possibly begin to prevent it in our children.

Your voice and your example could help inspire the millions of people who don't know how to find a new concept of themselves, or, worse yet, have a negative concept of who they are because of this illness.

Please, Mr. Freemen - lend your voice to this fight.

To all my wonderful readers, please leave your thoughts and your own pleas below.

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Getty Images

Comments
June 24, 2013 at 8:06 am
(1) DFWMom says:

One more reason. If 90% of people diagnosed with Fibromyalgia are women, that means 10% of people diagnosed with Fibromyalgia are men. How many men and boys AREN’T diagnosed, because their doctors believe it is a disease of women? There are men, and boys, and mothers and fathers, who need to hear that males can suffer from this disease as well.

That said, I still hope that we can find someone of similar stature, who had this disease since childhood, to be a spokesperson for fibromyalgia. It’s much harder to find such a person, because such people face such enormous challenges that it can be much harder for them to achieve that level of fame, than a person who is stricken at an older age. Perhaps, instead, we should have a campaign similar to the one about smoking, where we feature young persons describing the challenges they face with this disease. If people only knew what it’s like for a child, I am sure they would want to help find a treatment.

I’m excited to hear they had a new discovery recently, regarding the nerves associated with arterio-venous shunts in people with fibromyalgia. I’m eager to hear where they go next with that discovery. I wish we could all get together and send those people some money, so they could move full speed ahead.

June 24, 2013 at 9:00 am
(2) JlynnNC says:

It would be a privilege to have the marvelous actor Morgan Freeman be a spokesperson for fibro. I too hope he chooses to do so!

June 24, 2013 at 9:23 am
(3) Nancy A. says:

Morgan Freeman would make a great spokesman for fibromyalgia.

I’ve been sick with this illness for 27 years and have waited all this time for any famous celebrity to come forward and be a spokesperson for us.

I just did a Yahoo search a found a few others, some I wasn’t aware of. I already knew about Susan Flannery, the soap opera actor. She also would make a very good spokesperson for us.

June 24, 2013 at 9:29 am
(4) Hillary says:

I believe that more men suffer from fibromyalgia than are diagnosed for 2 reasons. Showing pain would be perceived as weakness, and would be culturally unacceptable for men, so they just live with it, in misery. Men are less likely to go to doctors, and fibro usually takes years and multiple doctors to diagnose. I believe that many men suffer needlessly, and self medicate with alcohol or other non prescribed drugs, rather than admit that they are in pain. I think having a respected male spokesperson would allow more men to seek treatment and end their suffering.

June 24, 2013 at 9:29 am
(5) Kay Boyajan says:

I think it would be a big plus to have Morgan Freeman as a spokes person, yes a lot of us are bedridden or very near it. But as with any severe ailment we have good days and bad.
We who suffer from fibromyalgia NEED a well know spokesperson!!!

June 24, 2013 at 9:36 am
(6) Celeste Cooper says:

TY Adrienne. I looked Morgan Freeman up on Twitter and sent him a tweet. TY again. Fellow expert and advocate. THINK adversity? SEE opportunity. In healing and hope

June 24, 2013 at 10:20 am
(7) Shannon Hutcheson says:

I’d heard that Morgan Freeman had fibro quite some time ago. He seems to be a very quiet and private man though. While I agree he’d make a fantastic celebrity spokesperson for fibro, I too wonder if it would just be too much for such a seemingly private person.

I understand all too well about “putting yourself out there” when blogging about fibromyalgia. I’ve not had any negative experiences on my personal site with commenters or viewers. Just the opposite in fact. Yet I know family and friends read my blog too, and that really matters to me. Even if they don’t comment, I know they are reading.

So yes, Mr. Freeman, if you do decide to speak about Fibromyalgia, it would be such a huge boon to those of us, many of us, that are silenced and suffering.

Living with Fibromyalgia (Canada)

June 24, 2013 at 10:42 am
(8) Katie Rodriguez says:

I’m also a very private person. It would take a lot for me to go out and be held up to the scrutiny a spokesperson would face. I admire and respect Mr. Freeman, and I would be sincerely thankful if he took a step forward to become the face of Fibromyalgia, but I would absolutely understand if he chose not to do it. I hope Mr. Freeman at least considers the notion. That, in itself, would be enough for me.

June 24, 2013 at 11:02 am
(9) Adrianne says:

I really don’t think he has Fibromyalgia. Fibro is diagnosed when pain is on right and left side and lower and upper body. If he had an accident requiring surgery leaving his, “left hand useless”, and his left arm is the only place he has pain it doesn’t sound like Fibromyalgia. CRPS sounds more appropriate.
He would be a great advocate for Chronic Pain in general. I love the guy.

June 24, 2013 at 11:15 am
(10) CarolJ says:

Mr. Freeman, I humbly urge you to seriously consider being a spokesperson for fibromyalgia. You have the unique opportunity of having your voice heard. Unfortunately, in our society, ordinary people have difficulty getting the medical community to focus on research and cure for a disease many of them know little about. Your involvement with fibromyalgia groups could change all that, much as Michael J Foxx has helped those with Parkinson’s. We have not just ourselves to consider, but also future generations. Won’t you please be our voice? Thank you.

June 24, 2013 at 3:41 pm
(11) Rita Taylor says:

Mr Freeman certainly has my respect as a person and a man. I can’t say if I think he has fibro as I don’t have enough information. If he does have diagnosis I can see where he might be reticeint to be a spokesperson ; some might be less eager to hire him although ,like me, he challenges the limits.
I am so glad none of you have experienced ugliness on a blog site. I joined one years ago and had to quit because of the attacks when I shared,for me light cardio ie a exercise bike with low resistance helps me. Depression comes with the loss and I had been a runner and a tolerable substitute decreased the severity of some of my symptoms. Wish I had known you guys then; I made it through that period but nice people would of meant a lot.

June 24, 2013 at 6:46 pm
(12) Latha says:

I love the idea of Morgan Freeman being a speaker.for us all! I see fibro on my grandson who will be 10 this fall. Please God let me live to see a discovery of why and a way to relieve fibromyalgia in my lifetime!

June 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm
(13) Dennis Bauer says:

I am a man, and I do not have fibromyalgia. But my friend does, and knowing how she bravely endures it makes me reach for my sword and do battle on her behalf… and by extension, everyone who has it.

If I was a celebrity, I’d be there. Not being a celebrity, I’ll still do everything I can. Mr. Freedman would make an excellent spokesman!

June 24, 2013 at 7:37 pm
(14) Nel says:

I have fibromyalgia. My father (yes, a man) had fibromyalgia. My sisters (2) have fibromyalgia. I never read anywhere that this could be genetic but I’m pretty sure it is. I have had it for so many years that I can actually manage it quite well. Still painful and days when I don’t even leave the house but, I still look like a “normal, active” woman of advancing years. You really wouldn’t even know. So that is NO reason why Mr. Freeman can’t be a spokesperson on our behalf. We all look “normal” – well, maybe not on the really bad days. But if he could speak out and let people know that FM is NOT in your head, NOT a psychosomatic “disease” and not cured (or even helped) with narcotic painkillers. Please, encourage him to help us.

June 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(15) Consuela says:

I would love to have to have this man be our spokesperson. Not just for males or females but, for all ofus who suffer.
This is a horrible.condition that needs to be reconized
I slept my day away due to fatigue. I.miss out on so much because of the pain. Mr Morgan my prayers are with you and all of Fibro patients…Please consider being the voice of Fibromyalgia!!!!

June 24, 2013 at 7:41 pm
(16) kim miller says:

I have always loved Morgan Freeman, he is a wonderful actor. I hope he does accept the position as spokesperson for fibro, because, as stated, he would be instrumental in better acceptance of this disease on many fronts.

June 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm
(17) katherine floritto says:

I, too, admire Mr. Freeman’s acting ability, but with his Fibro being so isolated to one limb, I’m wondering whether he would be a good public representative for all the people with the disease. Just a thought…

June 24, 2013 at 9:25 pm
(18) Sheryl Ann Wilson says:

I have fibromyalgia (female) and I’ve previously founded a non profit to help others, searched thoroughly worldwide online, try to keep up to date on research and on Facebook communicating with groups and persons with. One of the only resources men have had was the http://www.menwithfibro.com which was such a great item.
I was raised in a filmaking family and for years now I quietly have asked many well-known to please be the spokesperson for FM/ME but they either never answered or were already committed to some other illness. I sincerely pray/hope that Morgan Freeman will come forth and be the spokesperson to make an equal and better difference similar to what Michael J. Fox has done. i’d love to act with Morgan to make a truthful film or commerical about FM/ME.

June 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm
(19) Katie - Conquering Fear Spiritually says:

Morgan Freeman would be an excellent spokesperson- I love the sound of his voice as well. His presence would definitely highlight the struggles of those with Fibromyalgia.

Such a great article- thank you Adrienne!

June 24, 2013 at 11:08 pm
(20) Daniel says:

It’s nonsense to say that men are less at risk for this. The reality is that they are about the same as women in numbers, but I guarantee life is quite a lot worse for a man. Society offers men nothing. When a man becomes disabled, the wife can simply take his children, his home, everything he saved, and leave. Taking a good portion of his disability as her personal income with her. When men seek help, they are told to just suck it up.

There are two sides to these kinds of problems, and I think it helps to try to honestly imagine what it would be like in another’s shoes.

June 25, 2013 at 1:04 am
(21) Dawn says:

I can’t think of anyone better than Mr Freeman as a spoke person. He has an amazing presence and a beautiful speaking voice. He can relate to all of us who suffer. Please Mr. Freeman be a spokes person.

June 25, 2013 at 2:14 am
(22) laura says:

Mr freeman it would be a honour if you cold represent the fibromyalgia sufferers. I have suffered for several years of this debilitating disease with each attack worse than the last. We need people like yourself to come forward and speak about this disease and let the public and the doctors sit up and take note that what people suffer is not in he mind but real pain and hinderance as any other health problem. I would like to wish you well in your health thank you fro bringing your problem to the attention of the general public. It will be a great breakthrough for all fibromyalgia sufferers world wide

June 25, 2013 at 3:01 am
(23) Jan in Wales says:

Very interested to find this article and discussion. I have a few things to say…firstly as it is normally the male population who give so little credibility to fibromyalgia – whether is be our doctor, or our partner/husband to find a man who admits that he too has the condition can only be of benefit. The men in our lives might not believe us…but hey, how can they doubt someone like Morgan Freeman. It has got to be a good thing to have someone with his profile fly the flag.
Secondly it ALWAYS saddens me to hear the negative if not totally self indulgent comments by some of the affected..I will not say sufferers. Yes, fibro means big life changes BUT it is not life threatening. Let’s get some perspective here. A lot of fibro sufferers would benefit from a few life changes. Grit your teeth, force yourself off your behind and lose some weight for a start. Adjust your diet not your pharmaceuticals! But the majority I have seen on Facebook groups and other support sites seem happy in their misery and revel in their multi drug popping lives. Perhaps these are the people we do NOT need to epitomise the condition. I believe these ‘sufferers would find something else to blame for their negativity and passivity and how many of them genuinely have fibro anyway? Lazyitis perhaps and depression. It is NOT just a man thing to grit your teeth and not admit you’re in pain. A lot of my female fellow fibro(ids) have balls too and we fight what we have …. but yes, let’s have someone like Morgan to inject some positivity into our cause!

June 25, 2013 at 11:16 am
(24) Cort Johnson says:

Too active? A man? good lord – vs being a highly respected, very visible and well liked movie actor….are you kidding me? With people like that in charge – and I hope they’re not – we’re not going to get anywhere…

I fervently hope Morgan Freeman with his wonderful voice – can you imagine him doing some FM spots? – steps forward.

Thanks for bringing this up, Adrienne.

June 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm
(25) Rachel says:

I’m so sorry Mr Freeman is suffering from Fibro now. I’ve always loved observing that gentle man. I resonate with the gentle strength of his personality too: witty and bright, with the patience and self restraint of insight, strength, kindness and gentility.

What an important perspective he has to lend, since this happened to him more recently. I would very much like to hear him comparing his previous, more active life to a current life where the main activity is fighting to avoid the suffering. (I’ve had this all my life, so I lack the comparison.)

Please, Mr. Freeman! Speak for us!

Fibro doesn’t discriminate by gender -no good reason for anyone else to!

June 25, 2013 at 2:39 pm
(26) Becky says:

I think he would make a great spokesman because he is not constantly complaining or doing the “Poor Me” dialogue. He accepts life as it comes, does what he can, and moves on with his life.

To many of us live in the constant downward spiral because we can not do what we use to be able to do. Get over it, figure out what you can do and what you can give back to the world.

Mr. Freeman is still living his life and giving back to the world. He is a shinning example for the rest of us who life with Fibro.

June 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm
(27) Rain says:

Adrienne,
Morgan Freeman’s combined characteristics of affability and a clever wit allows him to present Fibromyalgia,a very serious subject in a palatable way. My belief is that he’ll break new ground, in a cautious, measured way,that’s where he definitely excels.
The majority who suffer from fibromyalgia will benefit from his mental guile, his empathy, and his insight. He’ll be able to influence so many by his subtle persuasion that is well calculated.
Having followed the projects that he has involved himself with, i am sure he will carefully consider the strategies before proceeding along established lines.
Thank you,Adrienne for letting us know about this interesting development.

June 26, 2013 at 12:12 am
(28) Sheila says:

If Morgan Freeman wan to be a spokes person fo Fibromyalgia, it would be sucha POSITIVE thing ! I can think of no reason why he wouldn’t per a perfect candidate. It be a huge help to men out with the illness, especially those who are not seeking help or are being misdiagnosed because they are male. It would be a blessing to all of us who suffer with this illness to have this respected man put a face to our illness !

June 26, 2013 at 4:54 pm
(29) judy deese says:

Mr Freeman, The world loves you as your acting is personable to everyone. Please endorse us.
Judy Deese

June 26, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(30) teresa adams says:

I would love to see him as a spokesman for fibromyalgia. My husband and I both have it I have had it since I was in a car accident in 1991 and my husband got it after a 14 ft Christmas tree fell on his back causing some major trauma. I believe there are a lot more men in the world with fibromyalgia they just are not diagnosed as they don’t go to the doctor and share there symptoms.

June 28, 2013 at 3:32 pm
(31) Donna says:

I think doing a voice over ad using Morgan Freeman’s voice would be great. His voice is quite recognizable.

June 28, 2013 at 4:01 pm
(32) Lucy says:

I have no doubt that Mr. Freeman has chronic pain. We all know that no matter the diagnosis, that is life altering. However, I don’t see anything in the description of his problem as noted in the post that tells me he has fibromyalgia. His problem seems to be mostly localized to his injured arm.

While he would be a great spokesperson for chronic pain…maybe not so much for fibro. It would just make “people” doubt all claims about fibro as soon as he started talking and umpteen docs got on board to say …not so fast.

June 28, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(33) Becki says:

What a blessing it would be if Mr. Freeman did accept the invitation to become a spokesman for FMS. I fight and struggle every day to decide what I am able to do and pay dearly when I choose incorrectly.
My son has also been diagnosed with FMS and he is part of that silent minority of men who have the illness.
My life has hanged dramatically and although it is unfortunate that FMS is considered “the old woman’s illness”
Any help that we can get it is better than what we have now.
Mr. Freeman,
I have watxhed you for years and I love what you do. Please listen to your heart.
God Bless

June 28, 2013 at 4:52 pm
(34) joni says:

years ago when Cher was making the movie when she was making the movie where she fell in love with the man’s brother she had CFS and went to Europe to get well. She never would reveal what she did and definitely wouldn’t be a spokesperson Shame on her.

So, good luck with Morgan.

June 28, 2013 at 5:06 pm
(35) L Miller says:

Those with Fibromyalgia continue to need a “voice”. When we bring those on board that have access to a larger voice such as those in the Media or Entertainment industry we gain the “ears” of a dynamic and extended audience. We hope and pray that anyone from any walk of life will consider sharing their story and support our cause. Fibromyalgia knows no boundaries. It does not select a small special group of people to attack, anyone and at any age can be a victim, male and female alike. WE must continue to raise money and research FB so that those that come behind us will have a much easier time of it. No amount of healthful eating or exercise will eliminate this condition. Each of us find our way to cope. Please help our community!!!!!

June 28, 2013 at 7:18 pm
(36) Carol in Texas says:

Morgan Freeman could be a great spokesperson for all who suffer chronic pain conditions. Yes, many celebrities could be spokespersons also, but the reality is that not every one wants to put there private lives out there in the public. Laura Hillenbrand has spoken of living with severe CFIDS & is confined to her home most of the time. Not everyone experienceing CFIDS/FM/ME has the same level of functioning. For those women who tend to say pick up yourselves by your bootstraps I only say “compassion for ourselves and others”, please. There is enough judgement out there in society without putting each other down on this wonderful blog. I am 73 have had CFIDS/FM for 15 yrs. and I am grateful to be alive, have an a/c apartment, food to eat & a wonderful supportive husband. Some people with this condition do not have any financial or emotional support, I hope we can try to be more compassionate with each other.Most people I know who have been living with these conditions for a long time have continuously tried new things to help themselves. Others without any support have been lost to suicide. (People don’t want to talk about this, but it is a reality in our society for many, many people.) Adrianne thank you so much for giving us this positive place where we can continue to share & get information that is positive & helpful for our lives. Namaste.

June 28, 2013 at 7:20 pm
(37) Cathy says:

Hi, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1994, when even Dr.s didn’t
know enough about the illness!! I have had quite a journey, & I was a nurse for many years, till a car accident & severe pain caused me to have to leave my Beloved career. I was recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis also, so it is a double wamy of severe pain & health issues, but I would like to see a spoke person for Fibromyalgia, out there encouraging
others with this illness, if Morgan Freeman would want to do it, that is o.k.
with me. But I agree with others, the Fibromyalgia is seen in women more than in men!!

Cathy: from Ontario, Canada.

June 28, 2013 at 7:26 pm
(38) Carol in Texas says:

Morgan Freeman could be a great spokesperson for all who suffer chronic pain conditions. Yes, many celebrities could be spokespersons also, but the reality is that not every one wants to put there private lives out there in the public. Laura Hillenbrand has spoken of living with severe CFIDS & is confined to her home most of the time. Not everyone experienceing CFIDS/FM/ME has the same level of functioning. For those women who tend to say pick up yourselves by your bootstraps I only say “compassion for ourselves and others”, please. There is enough judgement out there in society without putting each other down on this wonderful blog. I am 73 have had CFIDS/FM for 15 yrs. and I am grateful to be alive, have an a/c apartment, food to eat & a wonderful supportive husband. Some people with this condition do not have any financial or emotional support, I hope we can try to be more compassionate with each other.Most people I know who have been living with these conditions for a long time have continuously tried new things to help themselves. Others without any support have been lost to suicide. (People don’t want to talk about this, but it is a reality in our society for many, many people.) Adrienne thank you so much for giving us this positive place where we can continue to share & get information that is positive & helpful for our lives. Namaste.

June 28, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(39) willie says:

Dear Mr Freeman, please think about being a spoke person for Fibromyalgia.I hear all the time you don,t walk like you hurt, you are the person that can show the world yes I have it but I do walk just like other people. It would mean so much to have you stand up and tell how much the Fibromyalgia hurt the up and down of pain everyday in your life. It do take a strong person to deal with the pain, fog the not wanting to get out of bed.

Just don’t feel good sometimes not wanting to talk to others afraid they might see just how much pain Fibromyalgia so you fight back the tears so others want know how you really feel. Do it for the Fibromyalgia suffers.

Sincerely

June 28, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(40) Tammy Armstrong-Williams says:

Dear Mr. Freeman, I have loved you as a actor for years. I have also admired you as a person. You are someone that comes across as intelligent, competent, and very wise. You have that tone of authority to your voice that when you speak people listen. You are a very well respected man in the country. I have suffered with this devastating disease for many years. I have been told numerous times by friends & family if only I would get out more, or if I would exercise more how much better I would feel. That I gave into my illness too much! We need someone like you, Mr. Freeman, to speak for us. If you stood up and talked about the crushing fatigue we suffer from and the pain that never really ever goes completely away, maybe then, they would believe us. I beg of you to consider this. This would mean so much to so many desperate people. We long to have the medical community, as well, as our friends & family realize just how serious this condition is and what we have to battle on a daily basis. Please, give this your up most consideration. Thank you.

June 28, 2013 at 10:54 pm
(41) Nancy says:

Is the pain only in the one arm that he injured? My fibromyalgia pain is all over the body. I

June 28, 2013 at 11:38 pm
(42) David Whiteford says:

It would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to have such a highly respected, recognizable, and compassionate person represent those of us who suffer from Fibromyalgia. My goal is to get cured in this lifetime, for that to happen it will require action now.

Politicians and Doctors will continue to sweep us under the carpet if we remain weak and invisible. We need greater public awareness, research money, and legislation. Mr. Freeman could help us greatly with those goals and more!

June 28, 2013 at 11:45 pm
(43) Debbie says:

Mr. Morgan Freeman it would be an honor if you would choose to be the spokes person for Fibromyalgia. You carry yourself with poise and demand respect when you enter a room. I am sorry that you have to suffer with FM. Having to go through a car accident, I’m sure, was bad enough, but to continue to suffer with chronic pain as a result of it, is terrible. They say everything happens for a reason. If this is true, then maybe you have been chosen to be the voice for FM and every single person who has been diagnosed with it, The voice for every single person who is in constant pain but doesn’t know why. Please consider speaking for us Mr. Freeman. But whatever your choice, its my hope that you will have more pain FREE days than painful days. God Bless you and keep up the excellent work!!

June 29, 2013 at 1:53 am
(44) Wendy says:

I read this article last year sometime and was saddened to see that the accident has left him with such pain that we all know to well. He would be a wonderful spokesperson for FM and Chronic Pain in general. He is up in age (76), and I have noticed that he is not as active in movies as he used to be. He does about 1 or 2 a year and in a supporting role for the most part. He does host the Science Channel’s series Through the Wormhole for at least 2 or possibly 3 seasons now and it is mostly a low key, voice-over job for him with only visible segments here and there during the hour long episode. Mostly, from what I read of all the article you quoted from, he works on his farm in Mississippi now as best he can with the injury to his arm and hand. It has slowed him down somewhat, but he’s like a Timex, “takes a licking, but keeps on ticking.” He is an inspiration to us all.

June 29, 2013 at 6:49 am
(45) Maria says:

I have been wondering why I see Morgan Freeman’s photo associated with various “ads” for FM. Yes, Adrienne, I don’t know whether he actually has FM or not. But apparently, if he does, I think henwoul e an excellet sokespersn

June 29, 2013 at 11:08 am
(46) Marilyn Taylor says:

Mr. Freeman has shown in numerous interviews that his personal life isn’t for public consumption. He’s a man’s man and folks just need to relax on the housing. He chooses his lifestyle and it’s not according to others. If he chooses to move in the direction of advocating education, training for physicians and research dollars he would be a well heard voice and a boon for the men with FM.

June 29, 2013 at 11:57 am
(47) Carol McNeely says:

I, too, concur with the many others who would love to see Morgan Freeman become a spokesperson for fibromyalgia. We who usually “suffer in silence” need a voice – a what better voice than his!

June 29, 2013 at 12:17 pm
(48) Olena Denega says:

FOLKS! He DOES NOT HAVE fibromyalgia- he has ongoing injury that was not fixed properly. This is where the doctors blame it on fibro when they cannot fix orthopedic problems. He needs a good chiropractor!
Just read it – he has fibromylagia in left arm? Most important characteristic of fibro pain – it is wide spread – don’t we all know that.
Would be nice to have him as a spokesman anyway)))

June 29, 2013 at 2:30 pm
(49) gail says:

Please please become a public spokesperson, Mr. Freeman. You are so beloved and respected, and can call so much needed attention and understanding of this disease. We need your hgelp!

June 29, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(50) georgia says:

Although I don’t deny that Mr. Freeman is suffering with chronic pain, like others here commented, it cannot be Fibro as the pain is not widespread. Having him as a celebrity spokesperson for us would not be a good idea for there is enough confusion about Fibro as it is.

We may be desperate for help but let’s not complicate our illness by being misrepresented. This would only hinder research, etc.

June 29, 2013 at 6:38 pm
(51) Diane Kennelly says:

As the Leader of a Support Group for Fibromyalgia/Chronic Pain… I think it would be WONDERFUL to have Morgan Freeman speak on our behalf. We need someone that is highly respected and professional that represent the women, men, young and old that are afflected with Fibromyalgia.
Could he take on any more ‘work’ though? If he could stop acting for awhile and just concentrate on this cause as our spokesperson… maybe!

June 29, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(52) Teresa says:

I think it would be great if Mr. Freeman chose to be a spoke person for fibro. Maybe more stars would come out to and say they have it or one of there family members had it. We need all the help we can get.

June 30, 2013 at 9:38 am
(53) Laura Matheson says:

I think it would be wonderful if Morgan Freeman agreed to be a spokesman for Fibro. Who would not pay attention to such a well-known and well-respected person? Two-thumbs!

June 30, 2013 at 3:44 pm
(54) Daphne Wallace-Edwards says:

Dearest Mr. Freeman:
Helping other people makes’ one less depressed, and lessens their own troubles.
The ONLY time that I don’t hurt as much, is around my family/other people, like at a social event.
So, you would be helping us and yourself, to accept this Sponsorship.

June 30, 2013 at 6:07 pm
(55) Sandy Birkenmaier says:

The fact that Mr. Freeman was not quoted as wincing at, or complaining about, pain in places other than his left arm does not mean that he is not experiencing pain elsewhere. When I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 16 years ago, it was my left arm that was the problem, with severe pain and weakness that left me unable to raise it at all. By that time, I’d spent 30 years with “issues” in various parts of my body, but the loss of use of my left arm, and my sprained right arm as a result of trying to do everything one-handed, drove me to the doctor that day. Today, it’s my right leg that is not working and causes me to wince. Yesterday, nearly everything was working pretty well, although my knees were rather stiff. Please don’t assume that Mr. Freeman doesn’t have fibromyalgia because other physical and sleep issues were not mentioned in the published portion of the interview.

Having Mr. Freeman serve, even as an unseen narrator for a public-service ad about fibromyalgia, even if he didn’t acknowledge that he has fibromyalgia, would add immense attention and credibility to our situation. Although most of us who have been diagnosed are women, I’m sure that men are severely under-diagnosed, because they are (1) supposed to be tough and “take it like a man,” not letting on that they hurt, and (2) “can’t have fibromyalgia” because they’re men. Children also suffer from not being believed; I know a woman whose doctors thought she was “just being a teenager” and looking for excuses not to do things, because her pain began when she was 14. With the major public acknowledgement of fibromyalgia being Lyrica ads, which suggest that one pill will take care of your problems, we need something that states that our problems are not a one-size-fits-all situation. We need more compassion and concern from other people, as well as from each other. Saying, “That person can’t have fibromyalgia because he/she isn’t as sick as I am today,” doesn’t help any of us.

July 1, 2013 at 11:50 am
(56) Mary Worden says:

Please Mr Freeman. You are my number two favorite actor! I will move you to number one if you would do this to help us. I am sick of drs saying it is arthritis or old age or in my head. And friends treating me like a hypochondriac
. You would give fibro credibility,PLEASE!

July 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm
(57) Cat says:

First I think Morgan Freeman As Spokesman would be amazing asset for the Fibro and Chronic Community. To Adrienne (9) and Oleana (48) Morgan Freeman does truly have Fibromyalgia. Which he himself spoke about in an interview he did earlier this year. The quiet private man he is I do not think he would do it. To Jan(23) Wow I am going to refain myself because my blood is boiling when I read your comment so I will just tell my story. Two separate cases of Lyme disease<Fibromyaglia diagnosed in 2000. I am 43 bedridden after back surgery I have arthritis in my spine, neck, shoulder, hips and knees. I have bulging discs in back and neck and nerve damage after my back surgery. down my right leg across the top of my foot. Numbness and pain oh wait let me put down my meds and get my fat ass up. I have no freakin choice will be on meds my whole life. The nerve damage meds side effect is that I can never lose weight. The side effect of all the shots I get to ease the pain of the nerve damage is weight gain. So you tell me that its cookie cutter? That we Fibromites need to adjust our meds and lose some weight. you needs to adjust you judgement and realize everyone's situation is different and unless you know there situation and unless you are god you have NO right to judge.

July 2, 2013 at 2:05 pm
(58) John says:

Mr. Freeman would be a great spokesman for FM patients, especially since he is a man. Being one myself, I’ve come across people that think I’m just a lazy s.o.b. and that FM is merely an excuse to keep from doing some real work or for not being able to hold a real job. I find myself ashamed to mention this condition, fearing a similar attitude. So then I tend to withdraw into my own private anonymity. Mr. Freeman could totally change the public misperceptions about FM, helping us sufferers, especially men, to feel more at ease in the eyes of family, friends and society in general. Of course, Mr. Freeman could be worried about hurting his public persona and self image in the movie business. But to me, it would be a courageous move to stand up and and provide a positive voice to change the public awareness about this terrible condition.

July 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm
(59) leslie king says:

so what is the most most effective way to try and reach mr. freedman to see if he will become our spokeman?

July 5, 2013 at 9:25 am
(60) Terry Callow says:

I’m a man of 62 years of age I served in the Navy as well as the Army and have fibromyalgia for over 15 years. I know a few guys who have this problem! More common in men than you think. It would be a great idea to have Morgan Freeman to be a spokesman for this so misunderstood illness. In England where I live Doctors ARE understanding that this is NOT in the head but a real life shattering illness, so don’t give up! Best wishes.

July 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm
(61) vanida says:

I was diagosed in June 2010. I had to give up my job. I can safely say I am in remission. I do not take any medication, I gym Monday to Friday for an hour. Cadio and weight training. I know what foods and drinks to avoid. I am 52 years old. Do my own washing, ironing, housework and cooking. Also work in the family business and drive. I believe exercise is what helps me.

July 5, 2013 at 5:14 pm
(62) Eugenia Monteiro says:

I think Morgan Freeman would make a wonderful spokesman for Fibromyalgia. He has always been my number one actor. He would help us with the message that Fibromyalgia is real. I hope he is doing well and would consider doing this.We need all the help we can get. Thank you.

July 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm
(63) Diana says:

Yeah I’m happy that he’s with us…hopefully people won’t think that were making all of this in our heads?????

Trying to deal with this,
Diana

July 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm
(64) Lucy says:

I had another thought. Since it seems Mr. Freeman has some form of chronic pain but not likely fibromyalgia, maybe teaming him with some other notable person who had fibro. Could be either male or female. the point being that giving focus on both chronic pain and fibro might help people understand out problems. I’m thinking of a series of public service announcements or interviews that help shed light on our “orphan” and often dismissed problems.

July 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm
(65) megan says:

If your up for it Morgan Freeman, we could really use you…

July 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm
(66) susana says:

I seem to remember that another Morgan, the beautiful Morgan Fairchild suffers from CFS wish she also could open about it!

July 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm
(67) Linda says:

Re Adrianne’s comment (No 9): I agree wholeheartedly. I am not an expert on causes of fibromyalgia – far from it – but Morgan Freeman’s experience does not seem to fit the disease profile to my thinking.

July 6, 2013 at 12:01 am
(68) Gail says:

I would not begin to judge whether Morgan Freeman has fibro or not. We as readers have no idea what kind of pain he has on a daily basis. Many of us likely have pain we don’t talk about publicly. I’d welcome any celebrity who could speak on behalf of all who suffer.

I find that more people now know someone who has fibro when I mention it. I’ve been dealing with FM for 30 years, 10 undiagnosed. I have good spells, but rarely am I without pain somewhere. Very few of the people I know and see on a regular basis would know I’m in pain even though my rheumatologist says I have one of the worst cases she’s seen. Partly that is because it’s invisible, and partly it’s because if things are very bad, I stay home. I don’t stay in bed for two reasons: I can’t afford to, and, if anything, it makes me feel worse. I literally have to talk to myself to keep moving at times. Only ten of my 36 years of teaching were fibro pain-free, but I do know that I’d be quite wealthy (relatively) had I not been spending so much on trying to find answers. I have found homeopathy and naprapathy to be the most helpful.

Morgan Freeman–yes!

July 6, 2013 at 6:28 am
(69) Lynn Staples says:

I truly think any publicity fibromyalgia can get from anywhere as long as it’s a reliable source the better! What does it matter that he’s a man, more than that Luke J —– What does it matter the colour of his skin??? That comment is disgusting!!!!
The fact that he isn’t as badly affected by fibro as some of us are, is even a good thing, if he had it very bad he wouldn’t be able to travel about to meetings as someone more ill would struggle to do. I think it can only do good for people who suffer with fibromyalgia.

July 6, 2013 at 9:39 am
(70) Autumnmoon3 says:

I think it is important to clarify something. Several people expressed doubts about Freeman having Fibromyalgia, even though he states he suffers from it, so I read the article. Adrienne was paraphrasing; the paragraph states “Every so often he grabs his left shoulder and winces. It hurts when he walks, when he sits still, when he rises from his couch, and when he missteps in a damp meadow. More than hurts. It seems a kind of agony, though he never mentions it. There are times when he cannot help but show this, the fallout from a car accident four years ago, in which the car he was driving flipped and rolled, leaving Freeman and a friend to be pulled from the car using the Jaws of Life.”
This man hurts everywhere, all the time, just like the rest of us. If someone says they have Fibromyalgia, shouldn’t we, of all people believe him. I do.
I would love for him to do a few Public Service Announcements, but I will also understand if he chooses not to. He has worked hard to have a private life and being a spokesperson could change all of that.

July 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm
(71) Nilda Graciela Garrido says:

Primero quiero expresar mi admiración por el Sr.Morgan Freeman y le solicito que sea el portavoz para todos los que sufrimos fibromialgia y demás enfermedades de sensibilidad central.
Sr. Freeman sería un honor y muy positivo para nosotros que una persona como usted pueda difundir y crear conciencia sobre esta enfermedad.
Un cordial saludo desde Ushuaia – Argentina

July 6, 2013 at 10:27 pm
(72) Edana says:

I too agree that we need a spokesperson for Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS be it Morgan Freeman or anyone who is well know, understands chronic pain first hand and it willing to take on the responsibility. For (23) Jan, are you aware that Fibro comes in many degrees of severity? You just cannot judge another person on the basis of how Fibro affects you. I was 12 years old the first time I remember being in severe pain all over my body. I have worked all my adult life and raised a family. At 57 years old, I was doing all the dietetic recommendations, being treated by a Rheumatologist, and working 70 hours a week. Suddenly my body just stopped. I started PT at one of the best know Fibro Clinics in the States and again did everything I was asked to do. I was going to get well, or find a pain level I could live with, so I could return to work. Have you ever heard of a diagnosis called Exercise Intolerance? Many with ME/CFS are exercise intolerant. The more I get my fat butt up and move the sicker I get. (BTW I am 5′ tall and weigh 95 pounds) I am nearly an invalid now, I stay in the bed or on the recliner, if I go out I use a wheelchair. I absolutely do not feel that I am negative about my condition. You are right, it will not kill me, but I will die with it. I am now 67 years old and do as much as I can. I do not take crap talk off those who have no idea what they are talking about.

July 7, 2013 at 8:55 am
(73) holly says:

What an honor it would be, Mr.Freeman, to have you as an advocate and spokesman. Please say YES!!

July 7, 2013 at 9:48 pm
(74) kara says:

My husband has fibromyalgia, and he suffers on a daily basis from a list of symptoms. It would be wonderful to have Mr. Freeman be a spokesman for the entire group of those who suffer from this disease.

July 10, 2013 at 2:01 am
(75) Kim from the Windy City says:

Please It would be a honor!!!! Plez help us!!!! We need YOU!!!! N my girls n grand babies husband n parents !! Plez plez

July 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm
(76) ABRAFIBRO ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DOS FIBROMIÁLGICOS says:

Hi Adrianne!
Now we know your blog. Wonderfull…
We are always searching for more knowledge about our syndrome. And among our research found happiness with your blog. Enjoyed it very much, because he speaks so easy, and gives you credibility because of the information it provides, as a researcher who is good journalist.
We would like to Congratulate her for the beautiful work you do.
You can visit our blog and learn a little of what happens in Brazil with such patients as well. From what we read on your blog, unfortunately there is nothing much different.
But it will be a pleasure to have you there.
abrafibro.blogspot.com
We are also on facebook / abrafibro.fibromialgia
Visit us!
After all, apart from the syndrome can share friendship,
Soft hugs,
Sandra Santos and Cristian Salemme
Founders and Managers

July 14, 2013 at 11:09 am
(77) Pamela Proctor says:

I would like to see more people making commericals no matter who they are because maybe just maybe they would start working more on this to find a cure or something just to make life mire manageable…I have dealt with fibromyakgia fir years and uts constantly getting worse…what I did last year I can no longer do this year…knowing next year is not going to be any better sometimes to future looks to painful!

July 14, 2013 at 11:18 am
(78) Barbara Norton says:

It would be a privilege to have Morgan Freeman be a spokesperson for fibro. I hope he chooses to do so!

July 14, 2013 at 11:22 am
(79) sherry moss says:

I would prefer he NOT be a spokesperson for Fibromyalgia. He is so biased on so many other fronts, I do not believe he would do our cause any good whatsoever. I believe he would only throw his left winged, ideology into the mix and blame Conservatives because the is no known cure for this debilitating disease.

Just my thoughts on it and my opinion.

Thanks for listening:)

July 14, 2013 at 11:22 am
(80) carmen says:

Yes he is a man, he is a actor, he has money he.don’t.work everyday, he can rest people osdo his choirs

July 14, 2013 at 11:27 am
(81) Lynn Jenkinson says:

While I am so very glad to see Mr. Freeman lending his wonderful voice to the issue of Fibro, the symptoms he describes are more related to a response to a traumatic injury, which would be labeled/diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. The main thing that causes me to consider this is that the pain is somewhat ameliorated by compression. Certain types of neuropathy respond to compression. As you all know, Fibro affects all 4 quadrants of the body. There may be days when you get a “vacation” and only have part of the body miserable. But to consistently have pain in only this area of the body is NOT Fibro.

There are excellent treatments for peripheral neuropathy and I hope Mr. Freeman investigates this possibility. We need him!!

Lynn M Jenkinson, RN, BC (Board Certified in Pain Managment & Person w/ Fibromyalgia)

July 14, 2013 at 11:40 am
(82) Mindy Sims says:

I think he would be an awesome spokes man for us. As for being a man…wonderful! Yes most of us currently affect are women however I feel a male spokes man would be most helpful for men in relationships with woman who suffer from Fibro. I know my own husband tries to understand what I go threw but I think if he could hear from another man’s point of view it would help him even more.
We need someone like Mr. Freeman to represent us and I think he would represent us very well. I pray if it is God’s will that he will accept being out spokes man.

July 14, 2013 at 11:51 am
(83) kathy evans says:

I have had this disease for many years.I became “old” when I
I developed this disease. I can’t do any thing I use too.Like dance,or play with my grandkids.I spend many nights awake’ crying.My disease also turned into RSD,chronic pain. I ‘t would be wonderful and an absolute plus if Mr.Freeman,would back us up .We need a loud and stern voice as our spokesperson. It may not be cancer,or many other awful and fatal disease. But I tell you this this disease can also take our lives.Depression becomes so bad,and along with the pain,makes you want to kill yourself.So please Mr. Freemon could you be our voice!

Yours truly greatful,
Painfilled, and sad

KathyT Evans
570 -822_0514

July 14, 2013 at 12:13 pm
(84) Cynthia Gabriel says:

I, too , have Fibromyalgia. It is a hard pill to swallow. I hope Mr. Freeman does accept being the spokesman for this disease. Being as how he has it, he would be a very credible candidate.

July 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm
(85) susan says:

It would be so helpful to those of us who are not only crippled some days…but emotionally crippled by others and our owns thoughts of not accepting this emotional nightmare. I have always been active and still try only to have to constantly reinvent myself. I hope Mr. Freeman that you will assist us in this physical and emotional battle.

July 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm
(86) Daryl says:

It would be awesome to have a spokes person might help the world believe that Fibro is real and we are not faking it.

July 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(87) Nancy Bates says:

Dear Mr. Freeman,

I would be most honored if u would represent [US] as “The Voice of Fibromyalgia”! Not only because I have such a profound respect for you as an actor, but because you fully understand what [WE] go thru on a daily basis..and it would be especially helpful to other men who have the aches and pains who have no clue as to what might be wrong and perhaps they even feel less of a man because of it. They need to know it’s not just a “woman’s disease”.

We do tend hide our pain as much as possible and in that respect, I had become the consummate actor myself. For over 30 yrs, no one knew how much I was suffering and I couldn’t explain how or why either. For years, doctors told me “its all in your head”..”you’re just depressed; take this”.. and I went thru so many meds that I truly considered filing for mental disability instead of for my physical problems. The nurses even told me I’d have a better chance at getting it that way..it’s a common story.

I am deeply sorry that u are afflicted with this hideousness disease but I would never have known it if not for this article. I must say, sir, you don’t show your pain! You are now (whether you want to be or not) in an inspiration to millions who have Fibro to push forward and work thru the pain..and that we, too, can be successful in our own lives.

Thank you for considering it, Mr. Freeman. We appreciate your personal situation and story and do respect your privacy. Much love & respect to you, sir, and hope for a cure! Nancy B

July 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm
(88) Peggy Morley says:

I’ve had Fibromyalgia all of my life. I’ve never been taken seriously by anyone. Not doctors, family (except my daughter, she has Fibro) my friends. No one. I’ve spent my entire life with chronic pain that first couldn’t be explained and then was finally diagnosd as Fibromyalgia when I was 42!! It took them that long to put a name to this ugly disease. I would love to see someone like Morgan Freeman, a respected figure in our society, represent those of us who suffer from this debilitating disease. It could mean a cure someday. Out could make all the difference in the world for those of us who have never had a voice.

July 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm
(89) Sarah Murphy says:

I think he would make a perfect person to represent Fibromyalgia. I feel that we need someone who is well known, well spoken and who catches the attention of the public to the fact that this is not just “Some Old Ladies Ailment”. I can just imagine the amount of research that has been overlooked thinking that this was just an ailment for the Weak and the Lazy or the Bored and Whiney. He is none of the above. He shows an entire new dynamic to this horrible condition. All causes need STRONG Representatives, even when representing those who have hurt too long to be strong. We need someone to make a plea so we wont GIVE UP! Negativity about this condition has caused enough bad press from insurance companies, to doctors, to the general public. Its time someone GAVE US SOME HELP! Thank YOU!

July 14, 2013 at 1:21 pm
(90) Ellen says:

1. It would be GREAT if a man spoke for fibromyalgia. Then more men with similar symtoms will seek HELP, instead of turning to other things to numb their pain. Then it will be no 90% women diagnosed, and it would not be classified as a “womens illness”= psychological instead of physical…and it would FINALLY be taking seriously.

2. People with fibromyalgia can still be active! But it takes a lot of work and alot of tears. But you can still have an active and meaningfull life. It would be SO GREAT if Mr. Freeman could be that spokesperson, to show others that an illness does not have to mean the end of the world, or the end of your career.

MAKE MR FREEMAN A SPOKESPERSON!!!

July 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(91) Joanie Moore says:

Let Morgan, and his God Given Beautiful voice be our spokesman. Let it show that this disease can strike ANYBODY..Him included! Yes..even -”God” as he played in Jim Carrey’s “Bruce Almighty” .. The man with the golden voice, and the great acting and all that talent..even he can be affected with our problem. Please Mr Freeman.. Be our spokesman! I will try to find his twitter handle and beg on him there if he even looks on there…so many stars don’t look at the comments they get there..but it would really help the cause. Maybe they would try to look for a cure if someone as wonderful as him could help us!

July 14, 2013 at 1:36 pm
(92) POLLY EDWARDS says:

YES WE DO INDEED NEED SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN TO THESE NON BELIEVING PEOPLE WHAT WE GO THROUGH. I SUFFER BAD, REALLY BAD. I CANNOT SLEEP BECAUSE OF THIS PAIN, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A SLEEPING ALTERNATIVE.I CRY DAY AND NIGHT. I HAVE CRIED WITH MY DR., IT IS SO BAD I AM CONSTANTLY MOVING BECAUSE OF THE SEVERITY OF THE PAIN AND DISCOMFORT. SURE THE DR. PRESCRIBES YOU MEDICATION FOR THIS AND FOR PAIN, BUT FOR ME TO NO AVAIL.I PURCHASED A NEW MEMORY FOAM BED , AS PER EVERYONE IT REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE, BUT TO ME NO. I WILL HAVE TO KEEP SUFFERING AND CRYING FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. NOT ONLY TO MENTION THAT I ALSO HAVE TO CARE FOR TWO DISABLED CHILDREN.AND ALSO THEIR BROTHER AND HIS WIFE AND TWO CHILDREN. BUT THEY HELP ME AT TIMES.

July 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm
(93) michelle says:

I think that it would be awesome to have him as a spokesman for our illness. Fibromyalgia is different for each person. Some people like my sister are not hit as hard and can be a bit more active, some like me are hit more moderately so that as long as I can keep the stress down, and there are not too many barometer shifts, I am okay. And then there are the severe, where no matter what they’re in so much pain that even inching around on the bed or couch darn near feels like they’re being tortured.
Oh and yes I do have some pretty severe days so I know about that. Perhaps people would take this illness more seriously if someone of say Morgan Freeman’s standing showed what it is like to be a fibromite!

July 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm
(94) Wendy Mcnamara says:

I think it would be truly great to have morgan freeman be our spokes person i have had this illness for 13 years now and it dosent get better it just gets worse…

July 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm
(95) Dee Bukosky says:

Mr. Freeman, you would make an awesome spokesperson for Fibromyalgia. I have lived with this syndrome for more than half my life and I struggle more and more as I get older. I respect and admire you. I was surprised to hear of your injury and am sorry for your pain. Please help us speak out for this illness. WE NEED YOU. Thank you.

July 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm
(96) Brigette says:

First of all I’d like to say Morgan Freeman is one of my most favorite actors. I respect him and his choices of things to stand up for.
I would be thrilled to see him a spokesperson for Fibro.

July 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(97) Lynne Zaun says:

Please. please speak for those of us who cannot.
Your voice would lend credence to those who have been and continued to be maligned, discredited, and made fun of by persons (medical community) who have this chronic illness.
Please help.

July 14, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(98) Mary says:

I have been living with Fibromyalgia for 40+ years. As a child we were told it’d was just growing pains. My diagnosis finally came 20 years ago. Almost everyone I know who have not experienced this on a personal level, has said mean hurtful things. In Most of my jobs, i have had extraordinary evaluations. I think because of the onset being at such an early age, that the more I hurt, the harder I push forward. Not a day goes by without my feet feeling like in walking on glass, that the flesh of my heels feel like it’s separating and splitting with every step. I last time I went a day without pain, I truly thought I had died, or was having a dream. I have an vitamin and supplemental regiment that helps keep me upright. One thing I know if you find something that works, stick with it. I think that the idea of having Mr Freeman (whom I respect greatly) is a fabulous idea. But I also believe that at the same time having ordinary people give their testimonial experience as well, is a must. Wow, Mr Freeman has it?, that’s incredible. But look at this person over here, that’s what I feel like. A spokesperson of epic proportions with ordinary people would work best, I think.

July 14, 2013 at 2:41 pm
(99) Julie Bristow says:

I think having Morgan Freeman as a spokesperson for Fibromyalgia would be incredibly beneficial. It would get the conversation started about what Fibro is, and that conversation is overdue to start. From there, people would learn there are many different stages of our disease/illness and that it affects everyone.

July 14, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(100) siobhan says:

I am a retired military, retired security guard, and have been living with fibromyalgia since the early 1990′s diagnosis while I was still active in the military. I now have been completely placed on do not work status by my physicians at the VA because my muscle tissues are tearing away from the bone. I can’t have surgeries to repair anything because I am such a high risk for stroke or worse if put under anesthesia. I’ve been denied social security because whomever is doing the evaluation, they feel I can still work as a security guard because of my description of the work I did. I live on a very low income. I’m at the mercy of others because of the swelling, especially my feet. These others are not dependable. I usually struggle to still do it my self. whether he chooses to speak out or not, is his choice and it should not be held against him.

July 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(101) Eva Cutler says:

Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite person on screen.and would make a very affective speaker and advocate on behalf of any thing, but. . . Like Lucy( 32) I am a bit hesitant to decide weather his condition triggered by that accident is in line with fibromyalgia.

July 14, 2013 at 3:01 pm
(102) Deborah Gladhill says:

Mr. Freedman,
I am so sorry you have to endure the pain of this disease. I have had it around 23 years now, but until 10 years back someone, a doctor, told me what it was. It is hard to hear the hurtful remarks made about the laziness or just too “dumb” to do what needs done, not to mention a doctor telling you its your “weight, or your nerves” and to just get you self together. Those are just a few of the comments.
There are times I can not sweep my floor, or run my sweeper. I have raised 7 children,and worked out of the home, yet at times I do not know if I am going to be able to make it to the mailbox, either because of the Fibro or the Chronic Fatigue, or both.
Each of us with Fibromyalgia become actresses and actors for our friends and families because no one knows about this debilitating disease, and because of this, our families make judgements.
If you could see fit to become a spokesperson for us, others would begin to understand what we live with. I had to settle with SSI eight years ago, and at that time, it was like giving up completely.
Sir, we need a person to speak for us. Please think on
this.

July 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm
(103) JoAnn says:

what fight? if you can stay active your better off. I got worse once I had to stop working. I have Fibromyalgia all trigger spots are active on me. I was finally told in 1979 and problems started when i was 24 I’m 55 now. I also have a lot of other things wrong. If your not a star people won’t listen? No offense to Morgan Freeman. There are a lot of doctors who don’t believe in the Fibromyalgia either.

Have you read the latest?
Fibromyalgia Mystery Finally Solved!
Researchers Find Main Source of Pain in Blood Vessels

July 14, 2013 at 3:07 pm
(104) Patti Mettler says:

First, Morgan Freeman, you are the Man. Yep, awesome in all you do. To here you have this disease sands me beyond. I hope we still see your movie ! Maybe awareness movie…

I myself have been brought down painfully, emtionally by fibro. First, three years of my Dr. of 15 yrs , telling me I don’t want to be diagnosed. After 3 yrs , upon insistence, I saw a rheumatologist. He stopped after hitting 9 trigger points. The worst pain ever ever….3 mos and a wk, severe, debilitating.

Such in just to be judged. If I don’t do something, I’m lazy. If I do something, She not disabled ?? Double slammmm !!
Fibro is similar in ways, although many handle differently. What works for one may not for the other ???!!! and because were all individuals !!

I personally cannot stand LIRCA, I feeled buzzed and uucckk !! Allergic to narcotics !!
I deal w pain, forget I’m in PAIN so other’s do not say, think or talk behind your back !! .but they do…people talk. Always in pain though, never not…you get used to it, then theirs the beyond, debilitating. I take. IB pro. Now, I hv to hv liver ck’d regularly. I AM PRAISING…THE DOCTORS THAT ARE BELIEVING !! YES, at 20 yrs , I had to leave my Dr. PA, took BP, 92/46…she was concerned and Dr will talk about it. Instead I was chewed out for hvn’t so many issues ??? My confusion, I found out was from my Atlas being shifted. My jeep liberty was hit by bear. Totalled it. Again used to pain, ignored for 5 mos. The reason BP low is because my blood and oxygen supply was cutting off oxygen and blood to BRAIN. I found out a month later after XRAYS, CHIROPRACTIC, AND PHYICAL THERAPY !! EMITIONALLY DESTROYED TO KNOW MY DOCTOR WAS RIGHT….I WAS IGNORED. Now, I worry about my daughter and granddaughter…. that’s been their fmly Dr. I PRAY SHE LEARNS !!

NOW, AS FOR MEN….I have three friends that are men. I totally, wholeheartedly believe they hv FIBRO. MEN ARE PEOPLE WITH NERVES AND FEELINGS. pooooueyy!!! On them suppose be MEN and tough bit out !!

Morgan, I put you in High respect…some men are just honorable, humble, kind!
I PRAY YOU ARE OK WITH THIS SOMEHOW BECOMING PUBLIC !! Right are left shoulder, Left arm right shoulder. Squeeze :) ….gently !
HEAR FOR YA….not fun alone!!!

July 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(105) Debbie says:

Mr. Freeman, you have earned great respect and if you would lend your voice to our cause, and help to get this horrid disease more research, then maybe some day, we all could look forward to a brighter future! One with understanding, patience and treatment… real treatment, not just “trying to keep you comfortable” while treating the awful side effects.

July 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm
(106) Ren says:

Mr. Freeman is a respected man with all ages, races, and genders! His endorsement of the disease as a valid, diagnosable medical condition would touch so-o many people. Many of us have to put an a happy face for our jobs, our families, and even for ourselves! So his activity level only addresses the varied ways this disease affects people.
Also, some of the commenters have missed that his left hand is only one symptom of many. The article mentions full body pain, leg pain and shoulder pain in just the one excerpt included in this post!
I hope he considers it, if only for one or two commercials and/or full page ads in magazines. The suggestion that more doctors would pay attention is spot on. Doctors are people too, and when Fibro was first being evaluated the “proof” was sketchy at best. That may have been the only exposure the doctors had. They have so many new ailments and diagnoses to learn about every day, it is amazing if they can keep up with all of it.

July 14, 2013 at 4:01 pm
(107) deborah says:

Morgan Freeman would be a great spokesman for any cause he took up, but I am concerned that he does not seem to meet the ACR guidelines for FM. Does he have pain in all 4 quadrants? Does he have 11 of the 18 tenderpoints? If he does not meet these requirements, he would doing more harm than good. FM does not just occur in one spot, even though it may be worse in a spot for a while.

July 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm
(108) Susan says:

I truly believe that Morgan Freeman would be a wonderful spokesman to the many fibromyalgia doubters out there!

July 14, 2013 at 5:07 pm
(109) Chris says:

Mr. Freeman, I have had Fibromyalgia for a touch over 40 years, please consider becoming a spokes person for this thing we call FMS. I completely understand that this is not what one does, tell the world that one has FMS. I have had it for 40 years and there are people in my life that still don’t know I have it, as its just not something one talks about. But if there was a spokes person like you maybe something good would come out of it for future generations of people with FMS.

I feel so bad for you and your pain but help the future generation and be that person that can make the difference for FMS and its victims.

Chris

July 14, 2013 at 5:13 pm
(110) Christiene Beckley says:

I was first diagnosed a yr ago with Polymalgia Rheumatica, which attacks the tissue in my hips & shoulders. This causes terrible pain & weakness in my hips. However this didn’t exlain the weird pain in my legs. They would become like spaghetti. And, it was getting worse. Four mos ago I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.
My brother has had Fibro for a very long time & had to get very angry befor finally diagnosed. He went through the whole fight of it being in his head.he kept telling me I had Ffibro. He was right. It is very hard giving up the simple tasks I actually enjoyed like mowing my lawn & working in my garden.
It’s very hard looking at what my future may be. I live alone & it’s starting to become difficult to even do my housework. One good day at a time.

July 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm
(111) Cindy Boyd says:

Everyone is different and I feel for anyone who has to deal Fibromyalgia. I have been dealing with it for 18 years.
I think Mr. Freeman would be a wonderful spokesman. It would be an honor if says yes,

July 14, 2013 at 7:43 pm
(112) Pam North says:

I agree…someone as well recognized as Mr Morgan could only be a plus. I am not bedridden, but no one can tell me I don’t have fibro. everyone is different. I hope he agrees.

July 14, 2013 at 8:17 pm
(113) Mary Read says:

I think it would be fabulous to have Morgan Freeman as the spokesman for Fibro. Ihave suffered with it for years. Cant think of anyone better to speak for those of us with this awfulness..

July 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm
(114) Kathleen says:

I, too, believe that it would be boon for us to have Morgan Freeman as our spokesperson. He would be an inspiration to those who haven’t gotten a handle on their “new” life yet and an intelligent, thoughtful voice that the medical community would actually hear.

July 14, 2013 at 10:02 pm
(115) Piera says:

Hello to all and thank you for a well written article. I was diagnosed with Fibro in 2005 however I have had pain down my arms since I was a young girl. In 2007 I was in a FDA study for Savella. I was working full time and taking chiefly ibuprofen in large quantities for the pain. Somehow I managed to walk 5 miles a day at that point. Today, I am on SSDI, walk with a quad cane and continually try medicines that work briefly and then bother other illnesses to the point I must stop all meds. I smile through enormous pain, people outside in the community constantly ask me why I use a cane because I appear “normal”. I now believe the cane is a gift- the one outward appearance of being “sick” that has prompted so many to ask me questions. I don’t hesitate any longer, instead ask “Have you heard of fibromyalgia?”…ALL of us need to embrace every opportunity to speak out and put a real face to this insidious illness. Embrace each opportunity- it will make a difference. However, few of us could ever make a difference as much as Morgan Freeman – with his star quality, approachable demeanor and dynamic voice…his testimony would be heard through communities that we couldn’t reach…continue, Mr. Freeman to share your story-OUR story. Bless you, thank you!

July 14, 2013 at 10:31 pm
(116) mellied says:

No thank you. While I would love to have someone take up our cause, I have no respect for this outspoken radical.

July 15, 2013 at 1:48 am
(117) Regina says:

I have had FM for years, when I started complaining of pain all the time my best friend told me I need to see someone about it. She watched me without me knowing for about a month and kept track of what I was doing and saying about my pain. She then handed me a list of all these things and told you really need to talk to your doctor about this. Once I did speak to my doctor at the time she told me that I was just getting older and as we get older we start to get more pains (I was 32 at the time). Needless to say I went to another dr., when I told him what she said he said “your only 32 and should not be feeling like this at your age” but he still didn’t know what was wrong with me. I had to research for myself, I then went to a pain specialist and he was the one that said I had FM. I am now 40 and have been living with this pain for so long that I’m used to being in pain just about every day so most people don’t know I have it because I just live and move though the pain most days without saying anything.

I think that we should have someone famous to speak about it and show that it is real and that you can look normal but still be in lots of pain. People don’t understand what we go though everyday just walking from the car to the store can be painful, getting out of bed or even trying to bath. I don’t take many baths anymore because it’s hard to get in the tub and even harder to get out so I shower instead.

Just wanted to share my story.

July 15, 2013 at 2:55 am
(118) Ivy says:

I totally agree That Mr. Freeman be a spokesman for FMS. I have had it for years but was not dx with it until march 2013. I have been to 5 Dr’s before being dx and I just recently dropped the one that dx., me with Fibro because he had no interest in treating me. if it was R.A., Lupus , etc., he would had treated it. I am going to a new Dr., at the end of this month. Hopefully I can get on pain medicine that will at least get me through the 8 hrs., I work. That’s all I want. Maybe Dr’s will listen and just as important family members of people that has Fibro will understand what that person is going through and what better way than to have Mr. Freeman be a spokes person for FMS.

July 15, 2013 at 7:16 am
(119) Katie says:

I don’t have a twitter but I could use facebook to send his pr staff a message. I just used your incredibly written and beautiful plea along with the link so that credit is given where it is due. I hope you don’t mind, I just couldn’t ever write anything that poignant and powerful. I know realistically that it may never be read or at best just skimmed through. But I hope that if enough suffers of fibro use social media to request his support, maybe it’ll actually make it past pr staff and he might read it and consider our request. But one message and a couple tweets won’t do it. Everyone who is in support of this idea should show their support in a polite and respectful way. I hope someone else considers taking five minutes to try and get Morgan Freeman to stand up and support fibromyalgia. If he did, less people would call me lazy or tell me to stop taking medication. Maybe then someone,without fibromyalgia who doesn’t witness my daily struggle, will begin to understand and realize how tough I am and how difficult life can be every single day

July 17, 2013 at 3:51 am
(120) Tina Miller says:

Please Mr. Freeman! We need you!
I don’t have to tell you why, so many have before me. I simply wanted to let you know how much it would mean to all of us! Millions of us!!

July 23, 2013 at 7:37 am
(121) Mary Z says:

I love this guy too, but if he does not have the brain fog, out of control body temperature, extreme fatigue, anxiety etc. the he would not be a good spokesman. The whole story needs to be told. Yes, the pain is bad, but the brain fog and anxiety is the thing that most people don’t understand.

August 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm
(122) Sandy Parsons says:

Whether Mr. Freeman would help or not is debatable. The fact that the man is in pain is real. Would it be nice to have someone stand up and let the world know that FM is painful and needs further study, of course.
I find that with FM each person suffers differently. For some different food choices help, for others it does not. For some regular exercise helps, for others it does not. For some medications help, for others it does not. The problem with Fibromyalgia is that the only consistent thing about it is that it is painful and chronic. I have only been diagnosed for 2 years, I know I have suffered from it for longer than that. Since the docs told me that is what I have, I have tried various doctors and friends and family advice. I am slightly overweight, but not obese. I know of others with FM that look fit and trim. I know of a young man in his early 20′s with FM, and to look at him you would presume he was a very healthy 20 something young man. I have a step-mom who has had FM for over 10 years, on lots of medication and she has tried about everything else recommended. I detest that even among FM suffers there are some very opinionated people just because they might not be having nearly as much pain as another. I have been a nurse for 30 years, and I will tell you that even with cancer, cancer patients have differing levels and reaction to their disease. Some Cancer patients suffer greatly, others do not, even with the same type. Some Cancer patients respond well to nutritional changes, for others it makes no difference. The problem is, you can not put everyone in the same cookie cutter mold. People and their bodies always respond differently. To judge that my pain is not real or unbearing is to call me a liar.

August 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm
(123) Sandy Parsons says:

To judge that someone else’s pain is even worse, is to call them a liar. To have a good day today and tomorrow, and then feel as if you can’t even get out of bed the 3rd day, well that is FM. It is strange that way. Just because my pain gravitates to the right side is not to say that I do not have FM. The doctors can’t even agree, so how do we expect others to agree. Even FM patients/sufferers do not agree, so no wonder people think the way they do towards us. We look normal on a good day. It all changes when FM, out of its strange processing, kicks us in the rear.

August 18, 2013 at 9:36 am
(124) Laurie says:

While watching a movie Friday night with Morgan Freeman in it, I told my husband he had fibromyalgia too. Somehow I thought it made me sound real. Maybe it was just for me that I said it. Yesterday I worked my butt off outside mowing all day. I knew I would pay for it. The day was a day full of negative emotions on top of it. When I got home I thought I wouldn’t make it from the shower to the bed. Once there I couldn’t hardly move. It was such a desperate feeling for me. As usual I kept it to myself.

September 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm
(125) Kathy Kaiser says:

I will be hoping and praying He will be able to be a representative. I have had fibromyalgia for almost 30 years.

September 21, 2013 at 1:13 pm
(126) Shirley {Moon} says:

I have always been a strong person I was in a few wrecks {I wasn’t driving}but I can’t believe the pain is so unbearable at times but getting up and down is the worse…always ate the best I could for me and my family my family came first and I wanted to stay healthy for them as well as myself very active life style now it hurts just to stand to long but I am trying

September 30, 2013 at 6:41 pm
(127) PMN says:

When I read about Mr. Freeman having FM and the interest from others in being a public spokesman I thought the idea was wonderful. After thinking further on it, I believe it is an issue of privacy. Why should he give up more of of his very limited privacy? Hollywood is very image-conscious. They are also very much about getting insurance for their actors. It seems that any performer who goes public with a limiting illness finds fewer roles coming their way, fewer phone calls, and so forth.

Anyone remember how Teri Garr, a wonderful actress, dropped off the radar when she announced she had multiple sclerosis? I would rather have Mr. Freeman remaining private and doing wonderful movies.

The only way FM/CFS will be taken seriously is when influential Senators and Congressmen are diagnosed with it. After all, it worked for heart disease research funding in the 50s and 60s.

September 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm
(128) PMN says:

By the way, I found the comments of the some of people who second-guessed Mr. Freeman’s illness as not being FM/CFS to be irritating and downright insulting. It is this kind of armchair quarterbacking that keeps many of us men from coming out of the shadows. Leave it alone, folks! Unless you were directly involved in diagnosing Mr. Freeman keep your diagnosing comments to yourselves. If you were involved in his case, shame on you for breaking confidentiality and forcing this man onto a public stage only he should decide to stand on.

October 12, 2013 at 10:55 am
(129) Hurt by Levaquin says:

I am just wondering if Mr. Freeman ever was prescribed, a Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic, as Levaquin, Cipro or Avelox? Thousands of victims of Fluoroquinolone Toxicity have been diagnosed with Fibro, CFS and other immune disorders, when in reality it is the toxicity of Fluoroquinolone use…..Victims of FQ Toxicity find no relief from pain meds, which actually increases the pain, and discomfort of FQT.

November 6, 2013 at 10:02 pm
(130) Leslie Rhoades says:

Love this article! Thank you for it!!! I too add my pleas to Mr. Freeman. If he could not accept, I’d still appreciate that he considered it. And if he can’t be a spokesperson, he knows he has thousands of fellow Fibromyalgic supporters! Thank you again!

November 7, 2013 at 9:40 am
(131) peggi linder says:

i think it would be wonderful if morgan would be a spokesman-it would bring so much more awareness to the disease and maybe people would realize it is real ! and maybe more research would be done!love you morgan!!!!!!!!!!!

November 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(132) peggi linder says:

it would be wonderful to have morgan freeman as a spokesperson! i think it would help people see that it’s real !come on morgan-love you!

November 29, 2013 at 5:30 pm
(133) Pr Chris Miller says:

I would love it if he would come out as a spokesperson for Fibro. I am going through my second VA disability claim. In my original board, I was evaluated for my primary complaints: breast cancer, and fibromyalgia. (The first board was in 1998). I was denied a claim for fibromyalgia because according to the physician, I had no trigger points below the waist (he just didn’t hit them accurately). So, I negotiated a finding that allowed me basic disability above the 30% minimum. The two claims that went on the board were: cancer (residual), and spinal pain and movement.

Now, it is 15 years later. I have had a second cancer episode, and have lots of scar tissue. About 2 months ago, I had my new physical. A physician who does evals for the VA. What is her specialty and what does she know with fibro? I have no idea. Apparently, after a bunch of phone calls, she accepted the cancer and the damage of the scars, which are pretty widespread. BUT, supposedly, she dienied fibro, and put down lower back pain (10%), and major depressive disorder. I found out THAT when I got a letter that said an appointment with a psychologist for a psych eval. (That was the result of multiple calls to found out why, in a medical board where I’m claiming cancer and fibromyalgia, I was getting a psych eval. I finally discovered this was the result of my physical. She denied fibro and instead rated me again for the lower back pain, and considered it a psych issue.)

I went down to the psychologist and that was a good session. She was open to listening to what I had to say. I presented my symptoms, and their effect, and she listened. AT the end she said she thought it was depression secondary to a medical condition, and she SAID she would ask for a re-eval for the medical condition…ie, fibro.

November 30, 2013 at 10:52 am
(134) Raina says:

I just want to point out that the article stated that his ARM is where the worst of it is. Just like everyone, FMS hits everyone a little differently. It would stand to reason that it is all over too, but the ARM pain is worse for him and thus more visable to those who do not have FMS. I agree it would be wonderful for him to become a spokesman, if he so chooses.

December 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm
(135) Rosemary Allen says:

We don’t have support here no one tell’s me any thing …The nurse was suppose to call me back . Never did …if they have cures for everything I thing someone in my heart need,s to be open about this like AAA if it takes me I’ll do all the anything it takes to help someone … If you only knew how some people raise money and I see it go in the other pocket and I have proof pictures and if you can find someone just one person who has the Lap-band for weight surgery in 2001 of Dec. 7 i was the 12 patient by the FDA to get it approved and I have no friends and the only one left with it
With all the pain and suffering and have all the records you just might get a million cause it still has stock on my band …would you help please

December 7, 2013 at 9:32 pm
(136) Nancy says:

It would be great to have Mr. Freeman be a spokesman for Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed in 2002, and have been on a very long journey. I have tried specialized diets, supplements and all FM drugs and off label “recommended” drugs with little help….With one exception-I have been on Low Dose Naltrexone (4.5mg) for 4 days shy of 6 months and have felt the best of anything I have tried. My pain has been reduced (within the first 2 months), I can fall asleep, and stay asleep for up to 4 hours uninterrupted. This medication helps people with autoimmune disorders remodulate their immune systems. The only drawback is that you have to have it compounded as the manufacturers only produce it in 50 or 100 mg. Even at that the cost is $30.00/month. You can find it for less as well. The only other medication I am taking on an as needed basis is 5mg of Flexerill (10 mg gives me headaches), in the event of a muscle spasm flare-up. My goal is to be off all meds, which has always been my goal. Life is too short to suffer in pain.
I am also considered “high functioning” as Mr. Freeman. Since I have been taking LD Naltrexone, I am mountain biking again (longest distance is 8 miles), cut wood with a sawsall, hike up to 4 miles a day. Try it, you have nothing to lose, and much to gain. Good luck

December 17, 2013 at 9:49 am
(137) April says:

I hope he considers it. I think he’s a wonderful man and love the idea that he would represent our syndrome.

February 5, 2014 at 7:28 am
(138) Kirsty says:

#NHS are unable to deal with #Fibromyalgia please read my blog and support this by re tweeting http://wp.me/p2SXAI-nL

February 8, 2014 at 12:46 am
(139) Ingrid says:

Dear Morgan Freeman,
God bless you sir.
I am a single mother who has cared for my disabled son for more than18 years. Much of that time I have been very ill myself. I have suffered from Fibromyalgia for more than 6 years, and am now completely disabled. This invisible Disease has stollen my life, my son’s mother, and my ability to provide for him. This Disease stretches far into the coming generations!
A theory that I subscribe to, is that we FMers suffer from the effects of 677CT, 1298AC, CBS, and other gene mutations. This theory explains why FMers tend to be more susceptible to these crippling symptoms according to the amount of ‘copies’ we are born with. These mutations cause weaknesses and deficiencies that are then compounded by toxins, pathogens and Emotional/ Physical stressors, etc. Read:<www.MTHFR.Net>
My son was born with a congenital abnormality and my sister has MS, both of which stem from some of the same causal gene mutations.
This Invisible disease has gotten So prevalent it has Reared it’s Ugly Head Quite Prominently! It is getting more prevalent every year as the mutations compound and toxins accumulate in our environment.
FIBROMYALGIA IS NOT GOING AWAY! There is NO time to waste!
Mr. Freeman please redeem the Time. Your involvement will advance this cause exponentially. We Need to be heard. NOW!
Thank You!

February 22, 2014 at 2:55 pm
(140) joan prater says:

hey morgan…give us liberty with that voice of yours and i will tell you that a pemf blanket is giving relief of the pain to many fibromyalgia people. As well to many people in pain. you can afford to buy it and get relief. but when you get the relief, you need to buy me one and be a spokesperson for us. we love you

March 12, 2014 at 7:26 am
(141) Linda says:

My mother was a very active woman. She worked at Ohio Bell for an entire career and raised four children. Her home was always neat and clean. She made time to be with u and she was a great mom. She used to say she “hurt all over all the time.” The only remedy her doctor would offer was aspirin. She must have taken hundreds of aspirin over the years to cope with her pain. When I began “hurting all over all the time” I remembered what my mother said. I continued to push myself to finish my career as an Air Force Officer. In fact I finished 26 years of service and started other careers as a pastor, college professor and writer. At age 50 my husband and I adopted six children from terrible poverty. When I began sharing my increasing level of pain with my sisters they began to share theirs with me also. We all have fibromyalgia. We have all worked hard all our lives. To say that fibromyalgia sufferes should push themselves to do more is ridiculous. Most of us have done this all our lives. Chronic pain is agony and although it is a vitually unseen disease, it takes a terrible toll on our lives. Some compassion is needed while we look for causes and a cure. There are days when the pain is so intense I just want to give up but I have responsibilities and I am not going to give into the luxury of feeling sorry for myself and I think most people with fibromyalgia feel this way. Others can help by holding our hands. That simple gesture of kindness goes a long way to help us. My family helps me by reading Scripture to me and helping me with things that are too painful. Fibromyalgia patients do not want sympathy but encouragement and prayer, a little understanding and patience would be a great gift to us.

March 15, 2014 at 12:22 am
(142) Rita says:

I recall hearing about the accident in the news. It’s amazing that the information didn’t disclose the Jaws of Life had to be used to get them out. It was reported as a minor rollover. That being said, I didn’t know that he has been experiencing pain like that. Seriously, my empathy goes out to him.