1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Genetics of Fibromyalgia: Studying Families

By May 13, 2013

Research Brief

In a new study, scientists found evidence suggesting a strong genetic component of fibromyalgia by genotyping members of multiple families in which several members have the condition.

Researchers identified 116 such families and analyzed their genetic makeup using 341 different markers. They found that the estimated risk rate of fibromyalgia in siblings was 13.6%, compared to a 2% prevalence in the overall population.

They also identified particular genetic markers on a chromosome region labeled 17p11.2-q11.2. This is the first study to identify this particular region as involved in fibromyalgia.

Researchers concluded that these findings suggest genetics play a major role in who develops fibromyalgia. They say further studies involving these families should go forward in order to discover more about the risk and causal factors for the illness.

Do several people in your family have fibromyalgia? How many, and how closely are you related? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo Chad Baker/Ryan McVay/Getty Images

Comments
May 14, 2013 at 9:19 am
(1) DFWMom says:

My husband’s mother was disabled in her early twenties with what was later identified as Fibromyalgia. Needless to say, she was accused of malingering, of being crazy or a pill popper throughout her life. Her family doubted her until the day she died.

When my daughter was struck down with complex regional pain syndrome, it seemed like this bizarre neurological condition had just dropped out of the sky from nowhere, until a few years later we heard the word “Fibromyalgia”, and remembered that my husband’s mother had been diagnosed with that.

And, that’s when the light went on. Ohhhhh….. THAT’S where it came from.

May 14, 2013 at 9:37 am
(2) Nancy A. says:

I’m the only one that I know of in my large extended family with fibromyalgia. However, there is a lot of autoimmune disease on both sides of my family, so I’ve always wondered if there is a connection between autoimmune disorders and fibromyalgia. My maternal grandmother and a maternal aunt had rheumatoid arthritis.

May 14, 2013 at 11:23 am
(3) Aimee says:

My mother was diagnosed probably about 20 years ago and I was diagnosed about 14 years ago…though both of us had the symptoms prior to that. We also have many related conditions including IBS, chronic fatigue, among many others. I have peripheral neuropathy as well, which I believe is related, but uncertain.

When thinking back, my mother said her entire life she recalled her grandfather always talking about how bad his rheumatism was. The aches and pains he described are similar to what falls under fibromyalgia today. So who knows?? It could have been in the family for years, long before it was given a name. In addition, her mother (my maternal grandmother) could barely be touched because of the amount of pain she had. However,she never showed signs of chronic fatigue like we are plagued with daily.

May 15, 2013 at 1:10 am
(4) Abot Bensussen says:

My father, of blessed memory, suffered with insomnia, neuropathy in his feet and trouble holding his tools. He lived on Perocet and was always fatigued, napping in his barcolounger. His mother complained about her joint pains, especially her wrists, (where I hurt all the time).

Now that I can sleep through the night with Xyrem, (sodium oxybate) I am doing much better. Still, I live on oxycodone, which is a cousin of Percocet.

I had a lot of pain as a child, it limited some activities, like ballet, and ice skating. Always more fatigued than my companions, and by my 40′s, seriously ill and bedridden. Xyrem and my Vpap machine has helped me to get out of bed, most days, for half a day. I exercise with Pilates and I’m still attending community college.

I’m in my 70′s now, so that’s tireing, too. Thank G-d i could raise my first three children, but my last baby, when I was 42, never knew me well.

May 15, 2013 at 1:15 am
(5) maxi says:

Mum and i both have fibromyalgia..i have chronic pain in neck and shoulders, hers is mostly in the hips..also have a history of arthritis with my grandmother.

May 15, 2013 at 1:25 am
(6) Abot Bensussen says:

I also have Sjogren’s Syndrome, which causes pain and fatigue, so it’s hard to know which illness is to blame. I inherited this from my mother, who had terrible dry mouth, and a gravelly voice. She worked very hard and was stoic and active till her 90′s, when she died in my house where she lived her last decade. So, I am doubly blessed. Both of my siblings, one older, one younger, are healthy, thank G-d.

My eldest son died in his sleep three years ago, it hasn’t helped the illnesses. Fibromyalgia is very related to stress. So I’ve had a set-back from grief,.

Hope to live long enough to see a cure. Since so many younger people are suffering with fibro now, and research is continuing, there is hope for them. My heart goes out to the young with their lives ahead of them.

May 15, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(7) Tracey says:

My father was the oldest of 5 boys. One or two children from 3 of those 5 boys have Fibro – perhaps more. Of the ones I am aware of, there are 4 females and 1 male – understanding that Fibro is more common in women than men.
I was always very active and with a high threshold for pain but have inherited some things from my father – such as Hemochromotisis (too much iron) which can only be inherited down from the father.
They say that we each know our bodies – and I also believe we each know whatever causes the issue – even if our MD says he is not ‘aware’ of any correlation.

May 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm
(8) Lola Woods says:

I have it and so does my oldest daughter, my 2 older sisters and pretty sure my youngest does also.

May 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(9) susan says:

I have 3 sisters and all 4 of us have Fibro. The drs tell me that it isnt genetic but I have never believed that. My 2 daughters also show signs of having it.

May 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm
(10) Carol says:

MY cousin has it , she found out about 10 yrs. ago,, now I have it.
I do not have any siblings.

May 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm
(11) Marian says:

I was getting inflammatory injuries like carpal tunnel, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, and was finally diagnosed with FMS. Then I recognized the same and more in my Mother who was then diagnosed. My brother has recently been diagnosed after a lifetime of misunderstandings.

May 15, 2013 at 9:50 pm
(12) Roberta Maynard says:

I have it. My brother had it before hedied. My middle sister has it. A first cousin has it. We all have Hashimotos Thyroiditis. My middle sister also has Various auto immune problems. My father had MS. His father had Narcolepsy and PetiteMal Seizures. His father probably had MS, based on what we know now. The daughter of my youngest sister has migranes & Hashimotos. It doesn’t supprise me that this runs in families. I will add that while my sisters and I have the same father we have different mothers. My cousin is my mothers niece. I have another cousin from my mothers side that has Hashimotos also.

May 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm
(13) Roberta Maynard says:

When I was diagnsed we were able to go back to when I first had problems. From an early age my skin hurt, my hair hurt and my teeth itched. My family always thougt I was just wanting more attention. Now we know what was going on.I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. I got lucky. I got married 1 years ago and he marriedme knowing I would never get well.God does work.

May 15, 2013 at 10:39 pm
(14) patricia says:

my mom has it at 50 I got it at 30 and my daughter at 20 so wierd

May 15, 2013 at 10:52 pm
(15) Frannie says:

I was diagnosed with it 5 years ago (at the age of 51) and I had suffered for years before that….My older sister has it, as well as my younger sister. And they are now testing my youngest daughter (age 30) for it too….

May 15, 2013 at 11:01 pm
(16) cindi says:

2 of my 3 children have it. My oldest daughter was diagnosed at 22, she is now 33. My youngest son also has it, he was diagnosed at 16, he is now 22. What is very interesting is they were both also hypermobile, and also lacking immunoglobulin IGA, my son actually having such a negligible amount he can’t even have a blood transfusion, but only plasma.They also look alike and have the same body type. My middle son, who does NOT have fibro, had no immune problems, had a complete opposite body type, and his muscles were so tight, when he was a teen he almost had to have surgery to untighten his ankle muscles. He couldn’t even touch his toes, the total opposite of hypermobility syndrome. So interesting….

May 15, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(17) Nancy says:

When I was going through doctor’s trying to get a diagnosis, I asked my Father for some medical history. Not only did Rheumatoid run in the family, but both he and my grandfather suffered from something that he called similar to Fibro. I got my diagnosis just last year.

May 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
(18) Johnette says:

Yes I have 2 sister plus myself that have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia..one has had it over 15 yrs & the other about 7 to 8 yrs..myself I have had it now for 3 yrs…I do believe that it can be found in many families….and there genes..hope this helps..thank you.

May 16, 2013 at 1:35 am
(19) Melina Davis says:

I am 1 of 4 or 5 people in my family that have fibro. my mom along with one of her older sisters and another older sisters son, which he was the first in the family to be diagnosed. Everyone else also has other issues that cause debilitating pain and fatigue except for me. I only have fibro at this time of my life but with an active family I think God that that is the only thing that ales me.

May 16, 2013 at 9:11 am
(20) Karen says:

I have this horrible condition and so does one daughter and I suspect the other one does also.

May 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm
(21) Janice says:

I was diagnosed in 1995. My daughter, who is 43 was diagnosed this past year. I truly believe that my Dad had it but it diagnosed as neuralgia. He would wake up hurting all over every day. He was always called a hyperchrondriac. He was never treated for anything. I also have two cousins (that I know of) who have fibro. It certainly would be great if there was something that could help everyone. I was on amitriptiline from 1995 until last year when it seemed not to be working as well. My doctor put me on Savella and it made everything worse, so I went back on Amitriptiline. It helps me sleep but that is about it. My daughter was treated with Cymbalta, which did not help at all. Right now she is taking Amitriptiline to help her sleep and during the day she cannot function. She hasn’t been able to work since May, 2012. Needless to say, she lost her job. She is in constant pain from the top of her head to the bottom of her feet. It is so hard to see her like this. She is missing out on so much of life with her three kids.

May 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(22) Jackie P says:

My mom recently passed away she never say a rheumatologist I believe she had fibro and maybe lupus. I was diagnosed in 2007. My sister just in the last two years. Now my youngest sister is showing all the signes of fibro bit hasnt been to a rheumatologist to date. We all have a different father. The common Link geneticly is our mom. There are four sisters all together. I am the oldest.

May 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm
(23) Shelly says:

We now know that my grand mother had what would be considered fibromyalgia, as well as my mother, my three sister, my daughter and one of my nieces.
We have long known that this is “family” related and each have similar yet also different symptoms and issues.
It is hard on all of us. We do get to gather together from time to time, but are perfectly okay with hearing, “I can’t make it today.” Thank God for the phone and Facebook!!!!

May 17, 2013 at 4:03 pm
(24) Gail says:

So far, my sister, my niece and a first cousin have been diagnosed,

May 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm
(25) Judy in Texas says:

I was diagnosed in 2009, 4 yrs after a motor vehicle accident that resulted in a whiplash injury and broke a fusion of my C-spine that was done 8 mos prior. It took 4 years of pain, horrible headaches and lots of injections to finally get pointed in the right direction. I have an older half sis (same dad) who was diagnosed the year before me. I am thinking my mom has it, by the symptoms she complains of. My brother (from same parents) was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis about 2 years ago and no one in my family ever had that.
In regards to what Marion above said: “I was getting inflammatory injuries like carpal tunnel, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis. ” I also have had multiple injections and surgeries on all (Left elbow tendonitis surgery and injections on the Right elbow; Plantar Fascitis where I was getting steriod injections; have had bilateral carpal tunnel releases and all 10 digits have had trigger finger releases done.

May 17, 2013 at 4:29 pm
(26) Kathy A. says:

I have a very strong fibro line on my father’s side. My father has 1 brother. These two men had a total of 3 daughters, myself and my two female cousins. We ALL have fibromyalgia. My father’s only sister also had one daughter and she has Rheumatoid Arthritis (not necessarily connected but an autoimmune disease so who knows).

This seems to definitely show a genetic link in my family. I have read somewhere before that a study showed that fathers appear to pass a gene or predisposition on to their daughters. My family certainly provides further support for that theory.

May 17, 2013 at 4:38 pm
(27) Marie says:

My mother & great grandmother along with several nieces had or have rheumatoid arthritis. One niece has fibro. Out of 8 children I am the only sibling with fibro. My family struggles with understanding because it’s not as visible as RA

May 17, 2013 at 4:38 pm
(28) misty headrick. says:

Finally!! Yes, my mother, her sisters, my brother, and possibly my sister.

May 17, 2013 at 5:31 pm
(29) Annette Mabe says:

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1990. I have a sister, and 2 nieces, and a first cousin that have it. I believe my mother also had it, as she complained so much of pain in her neck and shoulders.

May 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm
(30) Lynne says:

I was diagnosed after having a hysterectomy for endometriosis which I just read were causes. I also hadmononucleosis at age 14, at 15 I hurt my back which turned out to be my first herniated disc. Now that we know so much more I feel as though if I had known more I may have made different choices for myself. In 1999, when I finally quit work (diagnosed in ’94) my Rheumotologist told me to stop all exercize to prevent pain, what bad advice that was! If he knew better I’m sure he would nit give me that advice! Now almost twenty years later I am still trying to build back my stamina. My biggest regret was taking his advice. I have so much more empathy for people and I believe chronic pain has made me a better person on the positive side.

May 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm
(31) Tracy Sekura says:

I am from a family of 4 girls and 3 of us have been battling Fibromyalgia for over 20 yrs. If you have any more information about this pls e-mail me. I also believe that it is the father that passes it on as my one sister has a different mom and she has it as bad as me.

May 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm
(32) karen butler says:

My mom has suffered since I can remember. Her sister had it before she died of liver cancer. I have 2 sisters, 1 has it and arthritis of the spine. I also was diagnosed almost 20 years ago with fibromyalgia. Thank you for info on new genetic studies and letting us know it is not “all in your head”!

May 17, 2013 at 8:02 pm
(33) Denise Geary says:

Both my sister and I have fibro myalgia. Although we do not know for definate I am aware of an aunt who could not hold a baby on her lap due to the pain and think this is where we are genetically linked.

May 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm
(34) Auntiecyn says:

I am the oldest of 4 sisters. We all have Thyroid problems. I have Graves and so does one other sister. The other two have autoimune thyroid issues. Between or among us we have arthritis, sojgrens, plantars faciitis, and other things too. Our mother had Graves disease. She also had grand mal seizures after having her thyroid removed. My father’s mother always talked about her rhematism which began when she was 14. Two of us have a diagnosis of Fibro and the other two, while not having all the symptoms probably have some sort of auto-immune disease. I have had carpal tunnel release, Plantar’s faciistis and long term wide pain. I could go on forever but there is no point. I feel there is definately a genetic component in this disease.

May 17, 2013 at 9:43 pm
(35) Gloria says:

Several people mentioned autoimmune and thyroid disease and I think that it would be really interesting to KNOW how many people dealing with fibromyalgia are also dealing with hypothyroidism. AND not just checking the TSH levels but actually tested the Free T3 levels and seeing if they are at the bottom of the range or in the upper quadrant.
Dr. John Lowe’s book called The Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia is all about having the optimal Free T3 levels in our bodies. He also has to deal with his own hypothyroidism.

May 18, 2013 at 12:45 am
(36) Jodie Nezdoba says:

My maternal grandmother, my mother, her sister, her brother and I have it. We also believe her brother’s 14 year old daughter has it and has had it for many years. We also have degenerative disk disease, osteoarthritis, and severe nerve damage. I also believe my grandmother’s father had all these as well.

May 18, 2013 at 12:50 am
(37) Caddy Lady 56 says:

My Maternal great grandmother and her daughter-my grandmother were always “ill and in bed” with rheumatism and migraine headaches etc My sister has widespread pain and chronic fatigue from .her mid 40′s as I have.So in looking back there seems a strong connection to “falling apart” in my family.I call it Bad Genes and say if we were dogs they would not have bred us !

May 18, 2013 at 1:12 am
(38) Angela says:

My mother had MS and CFS. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia around 2003 and my daughter has since been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Both my son and my daughter have been diagnosed with Meniere’s disease. Within the past two months I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have read that there may be a link genetically for these, It is encouraging to know that there is research going on to help.

May 18, 2013 at 5:29 am
(39) Daphne says:

Motherwas uptight, didn’t BREATHE; pushed around by Dad. She doesn’t remember it all; would hit him sleeping. She massaged neck, had skin allergies, and had Mitral Valve prolapse, and Scarlet fever, tuberculosis when young. I have Fibromyalgia @as youngster. Born a high forceps delivery, almost died. Mom shook me as baby. I got P. T. S. D., from neglect and meanness. Have daughter – diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at 16. Had hard time, being a single-parent house. 28-yr old daughter feels’ SHE has it, and elder girl is uptight, and can’t hug her. I truly believe 1.) Grief, traumatic stuff, wrecks & 2.) Entero-virus that attacks’ stomach is source. + We either have sleep apnea, anxiety or dreams that come true, or see into the future. This inability to relax can be hard on the system, but it may be from feeling ILL. I needed HELP to get things done, “messing up” what I tried to do, per Dad. 3.) Endometriosis and Fibromyalgia are connected, and we all had this, too, making us out of sorts and tender. HORMONES has a lot to do with body function! I’d get stressed- hair stopped growing; like straw; my nails got ridges at exact time I was sad. Diarrhea, gas kept me from socializing . The entero-virus in my stomach made me skinny, kept body from getting nutrients, and my B-Vitamins did not get absorbed. These being important in handling stress. Have to take B-complex, and B-12 to feel better, and to be able to not fall OVER. Eight hours of sleep NOT enough- even with a C-Pap machine.I cannot make it without ten hours’ rest, if upset. Magnesium, 250 mg. in AM, and 400 mg. in PM important for muscles to relax. Calcium and EXTRA Vit. D too! NO Vicodin/ Valium. I decide what hI need help for most each day, usually take Flexeril about eight PM for the spasms, so not drowsy in AM.d Robaxin in AM. for headache. Warm bath is NEEDED, a LOT.

May 18, 2013 at 5:43 am
(40) Jo says:

My Grandma was diagnosed with Fibro about 25 years ago. When I was diagnosed my Dad looked at the symptoms list he had a lightbulb moment. He thinks this is what my late Mother suffered with. My 18 year old daughter displays a lot if the symptoms too. So that four generations of the female line of our family.

May 18, 2013 at 7:10 am
(41) Cheryl says:

My Mom, myself and my daughter were all diagnosed with FM :-(

May 18, 2013 at 9:02 am
(42) Janet says:

My sister and I have it. Her daughter has it and my daughter has failed back syndrome with chronic pain and many of the same symptoms of FMS. I was diagnosed first and the others not long after. I have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, diabetes, and OA along with many other types of painful symptoms.

May 19, 2013 at 5:36 am
(43) Windy says:

My mom complains with her legs hurting all the time and the doctor said she could possibly have it. But she does not have the fatigue. My mom said my grandmother use the cry with her legs hurting. It was so bad she use to tell my mom she wished a train would run over them. Now my dad has no sign of fibro but he sleeps most of his day and has been like that for 38me years of my life. I have fibro and the chronic fatigue is about as bad as the pain.

May 19, 2013 at 5:53 am
(44) Joyce (38) says:

My nana had it (my mum’s mum). My mum suffers badly from migraines and insomnia. She has many symptoms that are similar to FMS but does have arthritis. I was diagnosed last November after years of mysterious viruses and trying to tell people there was something wrong which made me feel like a hypochondriac!

May 19, 2013 at 6:28 am
(45) hotlyn says:

I was Dix at 40,had fm I believe from childhood. Now have FM,OA,RA,,and last year Breast CAncer and Chemo and capel tunnel release both hands. Now aged 61. Eldest da dx last year with FM (40), BUT she has lost 25kg and is not feeling any symptoms now. So go figure! We think her children have problems . 16 year old girl, 9 year old boy. Both feel pain more than other kids , both had to give up swimming, GD gave up netball .. Too much pain . We give both kids painkillers most days just to get them to school . Childhood FM not looked at here at all in Australia.
Lynne

May 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm
(46) mamaof4 says:

Both my sister and I have fibromyalgia… I am 32yo and she is 29yo and I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago she was diagnosed more recently but we feel some comfort knowing that we can truly say we understand each other’s situation in more ways than one.

May 20, 2013 at 6:39 am
(47) Denise Pringle says:

My 31 yr old daughter has suffered from very severe Fibro for 14 yrs now and had CFS prior to that for many years. My 35 y.o. daughter had CFS with Chronic pain for about 8 yrs but has excellent health now! I have a 26 y.o. nephew with CFS and his 16 y.o. sister has it also , both for many years now. Also my brother’s 16 y.o. son has it very bad and his 31y.o. son as well although their siblings do not have it!

May 20, 2013 at 7:45 am
(48) lyn says:

i have fibro ,2 of my daughters have auto immune diseases being lupus and the younger ulcerative colitis both of them have fibro symptoms and now daughter number 3 is showing signs of fibro but being a single mum she just keeps on getting up and going to work as she needs to support her children but she finds it hard to keep going with the pain .im convinced of a genetic link and possibly a strong link to auto immune disease and fms

May 22, 2013 at 7:02 am
(49) Bella says:

i have CFS and Fibro. my dad died of Parkinsons Disease 25 years ago but prior to developing Parkinsons he always (all my life) had restless leg syndrome, slept badly, couldnt bear the sun, couldnt bare long sleeved jumpers or anything but silky fabrics next to his skin. makes me wonder. also, strangely, my stepdaughter also has fibro, although i married her dad when she was already an older teenager and had left home so we have never lived under the same roof. strange.

May 23, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(50) Cat says:

I have Fibro. Was dx almost 2 years ago now. I’m 41 and the dr said he could not believe how well I am doing considering I have had it for years with no treatment (medical). I am gluten and dairy free and stopping the gluten helped tremendously with the IBS. My father was dx 15+ years ago with it. My sister is starting to display signs of it. Hate it but am learning each day how to cope. My husband of 3 years is incredibly supportive and understanding. Sometimes he notices the beginnings of a flare up before I do!

Side note: Thank you so very very much for this site! During the darkest time (where people thought I was a hypocondriac and was just miserable) this site has helped me stay sane. Thank you again.

May 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm
(51) MiMi says:

I have Fibro and my cousin has been diagnosed recently. Although we have many of the same symptoms his chemichal sensitivities are very bad while I never really had any. His mom may have Fibro although was never disabled by it and I have another cousin that may have it also.

Yup, I believe it is genetic and lying in wait to be released by some type of physical or emotional abuse, car accident, child birth, or just good ol’ time.

May 24, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(52) NicoleB says:

Fibromyalgia seems to run rampant in my family. My grandmother has it, she had 6 kids, 5 of them girls, and my mom was the only one to get it, but then my mom had 3 girls and 1 boy, and all of us girls have it. My sister has a daughter, and she’s already showing symptoms (digestive issues, neck and back cracking a lot), at age 6! I am pregnant with my first child, and am so glad its a boy, because I do not want to pass this on, and the males of the family don’t seem to be affected. I wish I knew of a place that was doing research on fibro in families, because they need to study mine!

May 24, 2013 at 11:15 pm
(53) julie says:

My mom has had various aches and pains, that she calls arthritis, for over 30 years.
I was diagnosed with fibro 8 years ago but when I look back at my life, I think I have had it since I was a child. I have also had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer. My sister was diagnosed this year.
My oldest daughters personality and looks are more like me and she is showing signs of fibro…..extreme fatigue from exercise, fatigue from doing nothing, odd aches and pains, chronic hives.
My youngest daughters personality and looks are more like my husbands and so far she doesn’t show any signs of fibro.

May 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm
(54) Terri says:

I have Fibromyalgia and my first cousin was just recently diagnosed as well!

June 7, 2013 at 8:52 am
(55) Di says:

My mother suffered terrible pain for over 30 years, told she had osteo arthritis and fibrositis .I suffered for 20 years before diagnosis some 25 years ago now and my symptoms closely mirror what my mother had including having toxaemia when pregnant like her sister before her.

June 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm
(56) Sharon May says:

Hi, I was adopted at the age of 6 weeks, I am now 58, 3 years ago I found my birth mother, she married my father and had 6 further chidlren, 4 girls and two boys. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 7 years ago. When discussing our health, two of my sisters had the same problems that I had, they went to their doctors and have now also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. One of my other sisters has the same probems but is refusing to believe that she has it as well! I believe that this shows that it is genetic.

June 7, 2013 at 4:42 pm
(57) Tig says:

I have it, my ex-husband has it and now our daughter has it. I’m convinced my Dad has it too, but he won’t go to the doctor. Definitely see a link going on here!

June 9, 2013 at 5:52 am
(58) Vicki says:

Yes I am 44 and was diagnosed at 20. My mother has had chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia symptoms for the past 40 years and recently my niece who has also got type one diabetes has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia at 15. Also throid disease runs in my family and diabetes type one both my niece and nephew have this.

Nasty horrible condition and very difficult to get support and help with this condition. I try to keep it to myself as do not want to be labeled and stigmatised. Plus it makes me feel better to be positive about things. Truthfully some days I can barely function but I hide it from all family and friends unless I’m desperately bad. Luckily I can have lots of rest during the day when little children at school and husband at work.

August 8, 2013 at 11:21 am
(59) Pam says:

I believe my Uncle had fibro, he had all the signs of it. I have had it for over 30 years. It really does take your life away, as you had once known it. I think my daughter is starting to get the signs of it, she is 40. Praying for a cure…

August 19, 2013 at 4:39 am
(60) michelle says:

I have it, my mother, sister, cousin and her daughter and im sure my grandmother had it too as she complained of rheumatism which now that i look back seems more like fibromyalgia…With my family it it characterised by extreme coldness, followed by flu like pains all over the body..this comes with debilitating fatigue and can take from a few hours to a few months to pass..

August 25, 2013 at 1:15 am
(61) Francine says:

I was born with an umbilical hernia which was repaired at around 16 months. Ears, nose, and throat problems with a tonsillectomy and adenoids removed at age 5.
Preeclampsia pregnancy at age 18 with a botched spinal. Headaches and low back pain ever since.
Tubal ligation with appendectomy at age 21.
Carpal tunnel with surgery.(both wrists) at age 28. Tendinitis off and on since. My body has hurt in various places since I can remember. I have nearly always had Chronic fatigue and joint pain and stiffness. Late 30′s began my decent into arthritis and IBS. A few years ago came plantar faciitis and thigh muscle spasms. Now my toes cramp up awfully. Diagnosed with costochondritis 2 years ago. Now I have, you guessed it, Fibromyalgia. Anyone see a progression? Could there be a connection? Do ya think? This 53 year old does!

April 8, 2014 at 11:26 pm
(62) rekha says:

Good post……..Fibromyalgia is the most common musculoskeletal condition after osteoarthritis. Fibromyalgia is a common and chronic disorder. When a health illness or condition is chronic it means it is long-lasting. visit our site for good tertments for Back Pain, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, Thyroid. http://www.drbastomski.com/

April 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm
(63) Colleen Jones says:

I have fibromyalgia and so does a cousin on my mum’s side of the family. I also have IBS, peripheral nerve problems, history of migraines etc. My oldest daughter also has a history of migraines, IBS and gets a lot of pain in her shoulders etc. I also have a nephew with Croan’s Desease, not sure how it’s spelt.
I have a sister like myself who was in a car accident and has nerve damage and suffers since a lot of pain. I was in a car accident to and lots of my problems stemmed from that.
Colleen