1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

FDA Panel Recommends New Pain Killer Restrictions

By January 29, 2013

An FDA advisory panel on Jan. 25 recommended changing the restriction level on combination drugs containing the opiate hydrocodone. This includes Vicodin, Lortab and Norco, which many people take to manage their fibromyalgia pain.

The recommendation is a response to the growing epidemic of prescription drug abuse, which is a serious and potentially fatal problem. However, it could also wrongly limit access to necessary medication for millions of people.

The panel suggested changing the classification of these drugs from schedule III controlled substance to schedule II. If that happens, your doctor would no longer be able to call or fax in a prescription - you would need to pick up a written prescription to take to your pharmacy. Additionally, instead of being able to write it for a six-month supply, your doctor could only write it for three months.

While I understand the need to keep narcotics out of the hands of criminals, I don't think this kind of action will make a big difference to the addiction and abuse problems. Most criminals steal their drugs or use fraudulent prescriptions, so how does putting new burdens on doctors and legitimate pain patients solve a problem?

The FDA usually follows the recommendations of its advisory panels. I hope this time, they'll weigh the potential harm against the intended benefits.

What do you think - will the FDA further restrict pain killers? Will this move help solve a problem or just create a new one? Leave your comments below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Comments
January 29, 2013 at 9:02 am
(1) kris says:

Hi. I don’t think this is any help at all, and like u said, now it is just more work for the drs and another appointment for people with pain to have to go out unnecessarily.

I used to go to a pain management dr and I ended up getting hooked on vicodin and went thru a horrible withdrawal. I just needed more and more to help so after that, my dr finally sent me to a rheumatologist and I take an anti-inflammatory along with adderall and a muscle relaxer. Its much more helpful but not perfect. Thanks for your page. I love your weekly. Emails. :)

January 30, 2013 at 10:23 am
(2) Beth says:

As you stated in your article, addicts are going to get the drugs no matter what Congress decides. These restrictions are – pardon the pun – going to be a severe pain for the people that actually need the medicines. As a resident of Florida (the pill mill clinic capital), getting a prescription for a pain medications is now extremely difficult. Doctors don’t want to have their licenses revoked because they are, according to the state, prescribing too much pain medication to their patients. Pharmacies have had their ability to fill pain medications rescended or suspended because they are filling too many prescriptions. We just can’t win down here! I am not sure what the answer is, but the states limiting access by Doctors and Pharmacies is not the answer.

February 1, 2013 at 3:45 pm
(3) ddebru01 says:

For me, it won’t make any difference if they change it or not. I’m not taking any III pain meds. All my pain meds are already II narcotics. Ever since I was diagnosed with FMS, CFS and PTSD 6 yrs ago I have been required to go to my doctor every month to get my prescriptions/medications. My GP won’t prescribe me any pain medications so I have to see a Pain Management specialist.

The Pain specialist I’ve been seeing over the last 3 yrs wants to do spinal rf ablation to kill the nerves in my SI. I’m wondering if part of her mind set is because of the more intense focus on pain medications.

February 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm
(4) Edana says:

I truly do not think the DEA and their cohorts realize the danger they put Fibromyalgia patients in when they start restricting drugs because the bad guy might OD and kill himself. As has been said before, the criminals and addicts will find their drugs one way or another. A law like they are talking about just puts those of us who use Narcotic pain meds more at the mercy of the thieves who know or suspect that we are on heavy duty meds. Don’t they know that suicidal ideation and suicide attempts, and successes go hand in hand with untreated Fibro pain? In severe Fibromyalgia the pain is never going to to away. Sure some people get some relief from lifestyle changes, but for those of us who do not get relief from homeopathic methods, are left with little but Narcotics or the decision whether or nor to continue a life in constant pain that prohibits almost all independent activity. It seems grossly unfair to protect the addicts and dealers at the expense of genuinely ill people who need those medications, not to get high, but to survive. Are we not as important as the criminals? It is no wonder this invisible illness is so devastating both to the patient and their families and friends

February 1, 2013 at 5:53 pm
(5) Budie says:

I agree with Edana!! More government control!

February 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm
(6) Rona says:

I understand the FDA, medical field and the public wanting to do something about the growing number of ODs but I don’t think this is the answer.
In my opinion, it would be more constructive for doctors to develop a pain management plan for their patients vs just writing prescriptions.
My experience was just that. It wasn’t till an attempted suicide and institutionalized did I take a hard look at myself.
I decided to stop taking opioid because they weren’t working anymore. I informed my doctors. Didn’t get any advice or help from them.

February 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm
(7) Peggy says:

I’ve had on going pain for years. I feel the majority of Drs (PCP s) are frightened to prescribe opiate & narcotic paon medication to their patients , no matter what their diagnosis or pain level is.
I have always felt that if a Dr UNDER medicate a pts pain that they’re being medically neglect.
My Rheum Drs are the only Drs that have understood how undermedicated pain can ruin a patient s quality of life.
To the FDA : The plan you have made to reduce pain medicarion abuse is NOT well researched. It is a knee jerk reaction to an nation wide abuse problem thats been going on for YEARS ! …and this is the best “solution” you can recomend ?
Your solution will only make life harder for the people who’s lives are hard enough already !!!

February 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm
(8) mickey says:

I didn’t realize how much the Percocet was helping me (because I don’t feel drugged out with it), until a couple of nights ago, I forgot to take my last dose. I woke in extreme pain. I won’t miss it again.
peace,
mickeypamo

February 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm
(9) Silverfox1 says:

I took Darvon for years as it helped my restless leg syndrome (the only thing that worked and it isn’t just my legs but from the neck down)! I also discovered that it helped with my day to day pain. I panicked when they discontinued it for the same reason you are talking about here and I still have not been able to get anything that helps me near as much as the Darvon did. Plus I am having to take more medication and more types of medications in order to try to get relief. So mine wasn’t just regulated it was completely discontinued and that is what I would be afraid of happening here.

February 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm
(10) Janet Busvek says:

I have been and RN for over 40+ yrs and have witnessed many changes over the years with medications. The saddest is the unavailability of some medications for those who really need it verses the addicts. I have seen people dying of cancer refused stronger pain meds because they were afraid the patient would become addicted. So what!!! They were dying and instead of a comfortable easier death they died in agony. The addicts will always find a way to get drugs. Ask me I was an ER nurse for many years. I only take a hydrocodone if I have too. Most of the time I wait too long when I am having a bad day and that prolongs the agony. Those that write these laws should have to watch someone die the way I have because they did not have the proper medication. If they did they would change their mind. I too have to go pick up a RX now at the Drs. office etc. I retired not because I wanted to but because I was in so much pain I couldn’t do my job well. My standards of care would not permit me to take medication and take care of patients so I retired at 62 instead of 66 like I was planning to do. All I can say is pray for these making decisions to do the right thing.

February 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm
(11) Theresa says:

I have a dear friend in her 70′s who has Parkinsons. She takes Vicodin because she also has arthritis so bad (bone on bone) pain. She didnt tell her husband that the Dr. requested that she had to sign a paper for the state in order to get the medicine. She was in tears when she told him and put her head down in shame so as not to look at her husband. Is that right? We punish people who are in pain?

February 2, 2013 at 10:23 am
(12) Brandy says:

Well, Personally I think this is Completely D*mn Ridiculous!! “It Actually “Pises Me Off!!” About 6-8 yrs ago, They (Gov….Hopitals ER’s,Doc Offices..etc.) completely flooded the market with Percocet…they gave it out like Candy, a particular yr or so they did b4 even condiderin’ givin’ Vicoden…just straight 2 Percocet 4 Anything & Everything! Seriously my Sis in law was givin 10 mg Percocet 4 tension headaches…her dr never mentioned vic. And now they wonder why there became such an abuse of prescription pain meds!? NOW, U can hardly get a Vicoden script @ all $ people that R NOT abusers & Truly Need PAIN HELP!! They Started this Opiate Abuse probelm back then, handin’ it out like candy & Now they have TRULY made it where people that SERIOUSLY NEED Pain Help (Chronic) can not even recieve Tx needed! I figure by now, people reading this, prolly think I am 1 of those pill seekers…I AM NOT….I Do live in CHRONIC PAIN, have Severe Level Fibro, SPINAL Disease…I take OPIATES DAILY…MUCH HIGHER than VIC & have No Worries of my PAIN PAIN SPEC & Surgeons ever takin ‘em away, cuz I am Only gonna Decline…… But my husband has “something SEVERELY” wrong with his foot…been in great amount of Pain over 2 yrs now & he limps Everyday :( PODIATRIST says they can poss cut on it/surg…but Will NOT give Him a PAIN PILL!! CRAZY! God Bless U All, Fibro is TRULY a very debilitating disease/diorder……….Fairlady1 :) Have a Great day!!

February 2, 2013 at 10:31 am
(13) Maria says:

I began seeking treatment for severe migraines in 1982. I saw all sorts of western and alternative practitioners over many years, including three neurologists with little success. I finally referred myself (meaning that no health care practitioner suggested this) to a pain management clinic. Pain management specialists are anesthesiologists and as far as I can tell they have less anxiety about writing Rxs for genuine pain control. I went in prepared with my list of doctors and other practitioners I had seen, plus all the medications I had tried over so many years, so I think being prepared with that was helpful.
I have been on percocet and Duragesic skin patches (changed every 3 days) since 2008 with nearly superb migraine control. I think these meds also control the occasional body pain I get from CFIDS. I had to experiment with dosages a bit at the beginning but since then I have been on a steady dose. I do not get high from it and I do not take extra unless I am having the rare persistent migraine. These meds have been a godsend for me. I have also been treated with the occasional steroid injection because I am having increasing problems with arthritis.
Adrienne, it sounds like your state is more liberal with its Rxs than mine. In NY we MUST have a written Rx for a controlled substance (an MD can call in for a 5-day supply but then there must be a written Rx to follow). There are no renewals allowed. I must go to my clinic once a month to get my medications. It is tedious to have to visit a specialist that often, but for the pain control it is well worth it. My only major side effect is constipation — very common for those on opiates. I use an amazing combination of things — recommended by the clinic — in order to keep going! I don’t mean to be crude, but you’d never believe how important that becomes once you have trouble doing it.

February 2, 2013 at 10:34 am
(14) Maria says:

Someone commented about Restless Leg Syndrome. I think this is the most uncomfortable you can be without actually being in pain. I have walked back and forth in the middle of the night for four hours waiting for the discomfort to abate.
Mirapex and Requip are the drugs of choice for RLS. Both worked for me, but Mirapex made me itch. Now I keep my bottle of Req

February 2, 2013 at 10:37 am
(15) Maria says:

Suggestion for Restless Leg Syndrome: Mirapex and Requip are the two major drugs for control of RLS. Both worked for me, but Mirapex made me itch. Now i keep my bottle of Requip right on my nightstand so I don’t forget to take it each night.

February 2, 2013 at 10:55 am
(16) Antonette Royce says:

I have been arguing with doctors for the past 20 yrs. about the need for “pain meds” on some days for fibromyalgia pain. Certain pain clinics will give out these meds very judiciously, others will never give any meds out for our pain ! Some will offer radial frequency ablation thank God, & trigger point injections. Yet I have been told by some docttors “the pain is all in your head, you need to take elavil” ! This new law will further complicate the necessary meds needed, in order to live a moderate life with pain. By putting these meds into a Class 11 narcotic, the people who legitimately need them for pain will be constricted, and the people “hooked” on street meds will not suffer. You can always get stuff a junkie needs “on the street” People who wish to abuse pain meds are ill, and need to be treated for addiction. Those of us with legitimate PAIN, are not addicts ! We just need enough control to “get through our days”. I am infuriated over the amount of drug adddicts in the country that have easy access to any pain med they need, while people in real pain will be denied for relief. And I have been a treating addiction nurse for 35 years, and have worked in many prisons. So I know the drill of all addicts to acquire meds. It is just another way for society to keep meds from those who need them. True, many people overdose on meds, but they most likely do not have any medical conditions that they need help from pain on a daily basis. Now doctors don’t want to write pain meds for pain patients !! It’s totally absurd. Antonette Royce RNC BS

February 2, 2013 at 11:07 am
(17) CaddyLady says:

As a resident of Florida I have been affected by the “pill mill”problem in that I used to take oxycodone for the pain-but them my local CVS & Wallgreens kept saying they did not carry it any more so I had to go to a pain speciualist and get all these injections in my spine and nerve ablations,see a pysychologist and take all kinds of “tests” to be sure I wasn’t a “dependent personality type” and now am on Morphine-because the druggies haven’t abused it yet ! I am so tired of being tired and achy all over and then being forced to “prove” that I really do have pain!Trying to get away for a few months in the summer is a real ordeal-even tho Walgreens has a profile on me that is accessable to every store all over the country-do you think they would look at it and fill an “out of state prescription” for the Morphine ??? No-had to return to FL to get mine filled.I am 67 years old with gray hair and have to result to crying and giving my entire medical history to some teenager at the pharmacy who then calls over the pharmacist who looks at me likeI am a total loser-and at that point that’s exactly how I feel ! I have had both knees replaced at age 53,hip replaced at age 65,have Lupus and osteoarthritis of the spine and Fibro and CFS-and all I really want is some relief so that I can FUNCTION at my activities of daily living-

February 2, 2013 at 12:06 pm
(18) Sandy Amrein says:

I have severe out of control fibro, rbs (restless body syndrome), m.s., along with a whole other list of illnesses…i have been dealing with pain 24/7 for over 25 yrs now, but it’s been worse since my heart attack in July 06… i am also a heart patient with high blood pressure and issues with my heart rate going thru the roof… there are 2 things that the Gov is NOT taking into consideration… FIRST, they may be saving addicts from ODing, and that’s great, but they will be causing a LOT of people who live with severe pain 24/7 to end their own suffering with suicide… what other choice will they leave ppl? My entire body from head to toe is one giant charlie horse 24/7, never goes away… but it does get worse at least once a day… when it does, it’s usually right in the middle of my chest (scarey for a heart patient and family).. i spend anywhere from 1 – 5 hrs a day screaming in pain, sometimes in horrific pain..on top of that, i have to deal with the guilt of putting my family thru the hell of having to watch helplessly as i suffer in agony… I will admit that when the pain is out of control like that, i sometimes wish and have shamefully begged to be put out of my misery, praying that God would end my agony and take me home with him… There’s ONLY a few reasons that I haven’t ended this HORROR myself.. Number One is because God IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GIVES THE GIFT OF LIFE, SO HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THE RIGHT TO END LIFE.. I’m NOT going to slap God in the face by telling God that I don’t want his GIFT.. #2 – It would NOT be fair to my family… #3 – There is ALWAYS HOPE, I can’t help thinking that maybe tomorrow, things will get better.

February 2, 2013 at 12:08 pm
(19) Sandy Amrein says:

Another thing that the Government isn’t taking into consideration is that this extreme pain can kill a person. It causes my blood pressure to go sky high and could kill me with another heart attack or stroke… my family monitors my blood pressure very closely when the extreme pain hits… Besides the pain meds (that are very hard to get, due to my inability to get out of the house a lot of the time), my 32 yr old son is my primary caretaker and does everything possible to distract me when the pain gets out of control…playing games, watching tv, etc…
.. he moved in about 6 yrs ago to help his dad take care of me.. i’m very lucky… To help me deal with all of this pain and weakness, i started making lotion, body spray and smelters (for tart warmers)… i give away about 80% of what i make, in the form of prize packs and Happy Packs, and sell the other 20% to get more supplies so that i can keep making them and postage to mail prize packs… it helps me, knowing that my little gifts help to brighten someone else’s day while giving me a distraction from the agony that i live with… You know, I wouldn’t wish this kind of pain on my worst enemy. But if the members of the Government had to deal with this kind of pain for one day, they would bust their rear trying to find a way to help, not hurt us…

February 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm
(20) Diane Barham says:

My pain specialist sees me once a month to get my perscription renewed. Sometimes they greet me with a plastic spec. containior to check to make sure I’m not taking too much of Oxycodone. No big deal with geting a perscription from the Dr. I’m glad to know they are taking good care of me. My Dr has found Neuronton in a timed release pill. Helps with sleep and smooths out the pain all day. That with Magnesium Malate OTC twice a day and I need less codine. I have had Fibromialgia for over 30 years and am 73.

February 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm
(21) Chicka says:

In NY, my doc does this already.

February 3, 2013 at 12:46 am
(22) Rykersnana says:

Caddylady is right on.
I, too, have suffered with arthritis, migraines and fibromyalgia for years. It really is sad when you think of what is happening with us older folks. We are blessed with more medical knowledge nowdays and wonderful medicine…so let us use it! Please don’t make us suffer needlessly!!
My pain management specialist is an absolute lifesaver! I just pray that Govt. will look deeper before making a sweeping law that will affect so many needlessly.

February 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm
(23) Karen says:

I agree with Janet Busvek!! I too was a nurse, almost as long as she, when I was brought down overnight after working a long week. My symptoms were almost stroke like without the slurring of speech. I could not use the right arm and leg. I was basically dragging my leg due to it being swollen twice the size of the left one. My right arm could only be moved up and down but with me screaming with pain. I had to learn how to write with my left hand because I could not close my fingers around a pen or even hold larger objects. I was only 50 when I was forced to retire because I could not perform my Nursing duties. I refused for 3 years to take ANY narcotics and finally had to see Pain Management. I was afraid of getting hooked on them. I too had seen my share of people with drug abuse, their withdrawals and unfortunately even reported those who lied about having pain, so they could sell the drugs. Those are the people who are making it so hard for us to get proper treatment and by law I had to report them. Yes there should be restrictions, better treatment plans, better
documentation (everything is computerized now, lot’s of room for error’s in my opinion).
Yes I am tired of Government trying to control everything and the only way to stop them is for the People to start taking control of their own actions! Don’t keep left over prescription medication of any kind in your home. Don’t tell anyone what kind of narcotics you are taking, trust me, one person finds out then everyone finds out!! I have more bad days than I do good days lately, probably weather related. I still refuse to increase my medication dose. I will be glad when the heat wave’s start!!
I wish only the best of health to everyone who is suffering with some type of Chronic Illness!

March 23, 2013 at 12:00 am
(24) Barbara says:

I have had severe Fibromyalgia, arthritis, restless leg syndrome, migraines, generalized neuropathy and more for over 20 years. Spinal surgeries, knee replacement, hysterectomy and gallbladder surgery. I was a nurse/care manager for 30 yrs and am now on disability! I miss my job, I was darn good at it! The social part of my life is gone! In order to leave the house I have to do careful planning and then still may not leave as I’m not able to due to the severe daily pain associated with this disease. No one realizes how this can crush your life as you used to know it I have children that don’t even believe I’m sick and they are not willing to be educated about it. They think “it’s all in my head”. What a slap in the face huh? Thank God I have a wonderful and loving husband who is my rock! God made an Angel when he made him!
I take Vicodin and Neurotin to help manage the constant pain and neuropathy. There are more bad days than good unfortunately! My primary physician manages my pain medication. It’s difficult to find a Rheumatogist in Mn. That will even talk to you about Fibro.
If the Government steps in and makes it even more difficult for all of us, what are we to do? Just another slap in the face to those of us who didn’t ask for this disease. And they certainly won’t spend any money on research to help us, will they? I, like you am not using these meds for pleasure, far from it! It’s despicable! Believe me, I’d rather be an aspirin user if I had my choice. I’d just like to have my life back, but that’s not to be.

May 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm
(25) lisadlopez says:

May 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm
(26) lisadlopez says:

I live with fibromyalgia, diabetic neuropathy, and nerve damage from an accident that nearly left me paralyzed. I need my pain medicines and in NYS the Drs. will no longer prescribe painkillers for me. I live with pain everyday of my life and can’t count on a dr. to help me find relief unless I make a trip to the E.R. and get an injection of morphine. I can’t even have a normal life anymore because I’m in so much pain I can’t even go out to a friends house, a restaurant, for a drive, of even go grocery shopping. All this because there are people who are selling these meds for cash. So let the trully needy of these meds who need to function on a daily basis without the help of friends and family suffer for these transgressions because pain doesn’t mean you’re dying. My doctor told me I don’t have cancer and I’m not dying so I don’t need the painkillers? What the hell is happening? Why do we have to suffer? This is trully the worst thing any one can do to people who live with severe ongoing pain on a daily basis! Can anyone suggest what can be done about this? Because I’m at a point where I’m thinking of moving out of the country to get pain relief! I will not be able to see my family or my new grandchild that’s coming at the end of summer. I thought that we as disabled people are disabled so that we can get the medical care we need for our disabilities and have the presciption drugs we need to have at least a semblance of normality in our daily lives!! Will I be able to hold my new grandson? My quality of life just hit the preverbial fan!!!

May 22, 2013 at 9:44 pm
(27) Janie says:

I am 47 years old and have had fibromyalgia for 12 years. I also have spinal stenosis, arthritis, diabetis, high blood pressure. I gained weight due to medications, and lack of activity due to being in so much pain. I had a heart attack recently. I have lost 32 lbs and changed my diet and increased my activity. Now I also have neuropathy and my fibro pain increased since my heart attack. I found a great pain specialist who understands my reluctance to go on really strong pain meds. I now take nucynta which works great and will be getting some injections for my spinal issues. I gladly take drug tests, pick up my rx at the dr’s office once a month. It’s really not that big of an ordeal. Primary care physicians will not rx pain meds anymore, if you need something for pain, they treat you like you are a drug seeker. It makes you feel so humiliated. I just want to function, to have as normal a life as possible with all my health problems ! The last thing I want is to be is high. I also use massage therapy, stretching and relaxation techniques. Balance is important ! Making pain medications difficult to obtain is not going to help the addicts, how about making drug rehabilitation easier to obtain and afford ? How about educating dr’s about how and when to prescribe pain medications properly to those who truly need it ? Some dr’s go overboard rx’ing this stuff and some under treat, neither is good ! The government is not really focusing on how to help people with addiction problems and they certainly are not helping patients who truly need these medications. How long have they been fighting “the war on drugs” ? It never ends, they have proven that they are ineffective. It is time to think outside the box !

July 12, 2013 at 12:08 pm
(28) kr says:

WHAT?? i have been having to go to my dr EVERY MONTH AT $200 A VISIT just to get a prescription for 10/325 hydrocodone acetaminophen! u mean to tell me i could have been getting this refilled? omg i have asked several times if i can get a refill and they always tell me the LAW is that i have to be SEEN MONTHLY! omg i am in sw florida please get back to me so i know what are the real laws. unbelievable.

January 20, 2014 at 11:11 am
(29) Char says:

My PCP put me on 5 mg. Percocet about 3 years ago for pain control after I tried the a pain patch and became violently ill. For a while I took them every six hours but now it’s every 4 hours. I have Fibromyalga, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Spinal Stenosis. My sister, a retired surgical nurse, has always told me that I should try to stay “ahead” of my pain. I have had Rheumatoid since the age of 16. Now, at the age of 66, the Dr. wants me to have spinal surgery on C1 through C7 and I am refusing. As a result he gives me a lot of static about giving me the pain meds but I’m sure he doesn’t question the need for them. As a person who is no stranger to pain, I don’t doubt for a minute that the quality of life is more important than the quantity. Back surgery is a big deal. I’ve had many surgeries on my hands and feet, shoulder and elbow. I would rather risk becoming dependent on drugs than dying on an operating table or ending up bound to a wheelchair for the duration of my life. Maybe people like me should be the ones making the decisions when it comes to the regulation of these drugs.