1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Keeping House with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By January 28, 2013

It was hard enough to keep the house clean and the laundry done when we were healthy. With fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome ... well, sometimes it's impossible, and the rest of the time it's grueling and wipes us out.

Over the years, I've found some products that really help me a lot. I've compiled a list of them for you here:

What products help you around the house? Leave your comments below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo Annabelle Breakey/Getty Images

Comments
January 28, 2013 at 7:13 am
(1) Angie says:

I use scrubbing bubbles auto shower cleaner daily or at least as often as I can remember, saves me the energy of scrubbing my tub. I also keep lysol cleaning wipes out on the bathroom counter so that if I see something that needs cleaning and the energy to clean come at the same time, I don’t have to expend energy looking for cleaning products, I just pull one out, quick wipe and toss into the trash. I recently got a very light Shark mini vac (basically a hand vac with a handle) to clean my hardwood floors (2 dogs) and occasionally the furniture. It is light weight, takes less energy than sweeping and I don’t have to bend my hurting body over to sweep dirt into a dust pan.

January 28, 2013 at 8:51 am
(2) Amanda says:

I see in your post you mentioned swiffer clothes. To be more environmentally aware, I bought good quality microfiber clothes that work just as well, if not even better. I use them for general dusting and put them on my swiffer sweeper as well. The best thing is once they are dirty, just throw them in the washer to be ready for another round.

February 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm
(3) Helena says:

Things that help me with my housecleaning:

1. Lysol (or similar) wipes: for all countertops, all sinks, outside of toilets, table tops, and such

2. Chlorine spray/mildew remover: for the shower…spray it on the little black spots each day as I leave the shower and keeps it sparkly and also use it to bleach my ceramic kitchen sink once in a while as well as ceramic kitchen tiles

3. Feather duster (and also trying to get away with just trying to keep my house looking a bit tidy but only really actually dusting 2x/month!)

4. Chlorine tablets for toilet tank: keeps the toilet from getting too mucky too quickly so it doesn’t take quite as much scrubbing all at once

5. Cleaning Help: I’ve hired a cleaning company at a reasonable rate to come once/month. My husband and I have budgeted it as a medical expense. I clean the rest of the time, but the cleaners that come once a month help me get my house reset. Some people can’t afford this (though I found a reasonably rated company), but if a person feels they can afford it (as a kind of medical expense) it is helpful. (And, the two very kind ladies who come once a month to clean for me have become my friends!)

February 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(4) Wendy says:

Does anyone have any advice when it comes to doing laundry at the laundromat off-site? I have to lug a laundry basket with wheels every few weeks. I try not do go crazy and wait forever, but luckily since myself and my husband do not work, all of the laundry is mostly under clothes and socks, which does help.
When I do go, does anyone have any advice as to go from there? I have this habit of putting it off more than I should…even often enough to buy new underwear because I am sometimes that lazy to do laundry!
So, HELP!

February 1, 2013 at 6:02 pm
(5) Budie says:

I use microfiber for my sweeper too; at least in the warmer months. I hate to go out and shake off the worst of the dust in the winter! Ha Ha! I think they do a better job even.

February 1, 2013 at 8:01 pm
(6) C says:

I do like my swifter duster. I’m allergic to dust and it makes dusting so much easier. Many times I leave it out and dust my electronics rather regularly especially since my place is rather bad for dust. I also have a good air purifier which helps keep the air fresh and clean. I can not survive without it since allergens affect my health so badly. I also use vinegar often for the kettle, humidifier, dish rack and it works great for removing scale in a rather effortless manner. I also really like using a certain mop for walls. The long handle makes it easy to reach high places and it doesn’t scratch the walls etc. Certain things like disinfectant wipes also may be a bit pricy but they are quick and make it easy to keep the germs down especially during flu season or when grocery shopping and wiping thing things down considering the mix of meat and other groceries that are placed near the till when packing our groceries. I have to say the idea of the magic eraser seems like a handy thing to have around. I just may try it.

February 1, 2013 at 8:05 pm
(7) C says:

Also, I’ve found that plain old Avon bubble bath is rather good for windows if you have lots of nice clean cotton rags to dry the windows off after a quick wash. This is a tough job but at least the bubble bath makes it easier to avoid streaks and smudges.

February 2, 2013 at 2:06 am
(8) Tash says:

Great post,

I use an upright cordless vacuum for the majority of our vacuuming as it is lightweight and easy to move around. It also has a handheld vac that clips off to use when you need to.

Another life saver is a steam mop for my hard surfaces – lugging a bucket and traditional mop around just isn’t going to happen :) . Just leave the steam mop on for a bit longer for the tougher to remove spots with no hard scrubbing. I also have a hand help steam cleaner to clean things like the oven…

February 3, 2013 at 1:51 am
(9) Martha says:

I love this; thanks for all the great tips for cleaning! I’ve avoided having friends over at times when energy permitted because my house was too far gone (for the newer friends who don’t quite know me, yet!). Anyhow, does anyone have a good way to clean mold off the bathroom ceiling in the shower area? I’m stumped on this one!

February 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm
(10) Donna says:

I love a clean neat house so with it being just my hubby, 26 year old son and I it’s very easy to keep that way. We always put things away as soon as we are done using them. I do dusting and floors, hubby and son will do the vacuuming, I wipe the bathroom down every day. Our laundry room is right off the family room so it’s no big deal to do it. All our window pull in so they are easy to clean. I never keep things I’m not using so less clutter makes it easy to keep the house neat and clean.

February 4, 2013 at 9:46 am
(11) Maria says:

I have had CFIDS for 18 years and my husband is a social worker in a drug treatment clinic, so we are not wealthy. However, I decided a long time ago that hiring someone to clean for us once every two weeks was an absolute necessity. My home is messy (papers and clutter that I just can’t seem to keep us with) but it is CLEAN, which is a great relief. Every drop of energy is important when we are sick. I cannot tell you the relief I feel when I see fresh sheets on the bed, a clean bathroom and kitchen, and the dust GONE, at least temporarily! It actually IS a medical expense, although I wonder if the IRS would agree.

February 5, 2013 at 1:33 am
(12) Mary says:

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is also wonderful for the bathtub. And if you use Dr. Bronner’s soap with it, it just seems to wipe the grime off!

April 5, 2013 at 12:51 am
(13) Bessy Ochoa says:

I personally use all Amway Legacy of Clean Home products; they cost the same as the products I used to buy AND are more effective. I used to clean my bathroom with Clorox before and everytime I used it I had to wrap my nose (almost my whole head) with a shirt lol. Apparently I though the more Clorox I used, the cleaner the bathroom was going to be. My friend recommended me getting the Legacy of Clean Bathroom Spray and I totally loved it, can’t live without it! It’s odor-free, works better than Clorox and is great for the environment. Try them out guys, once you use Legacy of Clean you won’t go back to those dangerous products! http://www.amway.com/webdirecting

April 5, 2013 at 12:53 am
(14) Bessy Ochoa says:

June 5, 2013 at 10:04 am
(15) Eleventh Hour Lodge Reservation says:

What’s up, every time i used to check weblog posts here early in the daylight, as i enjoy to find out more and more.

Look at my web blog: Eleventh Hour Lodge Reservation