1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

The Last Push to Get Through Christmas with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By December 17, 2012

The holiday season can wear on just about anyone, and that goes triple for those of us with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

As we enter the last week before Christmas, it's important to take stock of where you are, both in terms of how much you have left to do and in terms of how you're feeling.

If you haven't yet, make a list of everything you feel like you "have" to do in the next week, and then, with how you're feeling, look at whether you can realistically get it all done.

No? OK, then it's time to prioritize - what absolutely, positively must happen? What can go by the wayside without the whole season imploding? What tasks can you delegate or ask for help with?

For help with this process, read The Holiday Survival Guide. It's written as a months-long process of avoiding a last-minute crunch, but it'll help you out in a pinch, too.

Here are some other resources that can help you:

How are you doing? Is your to-so list overwhelming or have you found ways to keep it managable? What helps you get through the holiday season? Leave your comments below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo Stockbyte/Getty Images

Comments
December 21, 2012 at 3:57 pm
(1) C says:

I planned ahead and had been working on a schedule for a month because I was behind to start with. Still, I have to plan a month ahead every Christmas and knock things off in parts. I even start things like shopping in October / November. I even do things in parts throughout the day and I find it helps and I get more accomplished at a better pace. For instance, I mopped the floors of m apartment in parts. First, I moved the chairs and fridge and stove and mopped behind and rested. Then I pushed stuff back and mopped the entry mat and part and rested and then finished it off. I find when I do things like this especially very wearing things with upper body movement, I have better stamina from day to day. This can be annoying since I’ve always been a do it and get it all done kind of gal but doing things in parts and pacing really does help me manage a whole lot better so I adjust. I’m happy to say, things are on schedule this year and I’m having some down time now and able to enjoy things at a healthy pace so I’m not emotionally overwhelmed. I’m very thankful for this. Do take care all.

Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

December 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm
(2) suellap says:

What an impressive example of sensible pacing. Thank you for sharing this.

December 21, 2012 at 6:44 pm
(3) Jill G says:

My oldest girl and her family and I have a tradition – we do holidays at their place. We try for clutter-free gifts, some can be practical or for a fun time out of the house.
We have Thanksgiving together – I can help cook and spend time with the kids – 3 grand kids now.
Then we have our Christmas celebration at the end of the year and have New Years together – I stay over for a couple nights.
For my own home – I began early this year – I put up decorations – just a few simple ones over the course of a week. I found a small cypress tree at a grocery store and that’s my Christmas tree sitting on a book case with just beads and bows on it. I did put some lights up inside my patio door and shaped it into a wreath in the middle.
I will finish the slow with rest periods cleaning so I can just take it easy on Christmas Day.
I got presents beginning in September since there are also birthdays. I got the last one today – for their family so we can all go to the movies together on the way when they bring me back home.
Next year – financially – I want to begin putting funds aside earlier and also to make up jars of ingredients for meals or treats and get baskets or other containers from the thrift stores.

December 22, 2012 at 12:21 am
(4) Maryhelen says:

Decided this year I would only put out and up what I could for Christmas. No tree.. only one our grandson made out of construction paper with pictures of what he and his family did together and what he liked. Put out our Nativity set in front of fire place. Not working anymore. Working on getting use to cpap machine and taking care of home and spouse and son, grandsons when we have them. That’s enough for me. Hope to celebrate at daughters house. Will let spouse deep fry turkey and just keep it simple… Just not able to do it all anymore and at a place that I can say it’s okay. Do my best from day to day. Some days better than others. Gifts- small, some baking too. Hope you all have a great Christmas and New year. Blessings.

December 22, 2012 at 9:08 am
(5) C says:

Thanks suellap. I do find that pacing is one thing that really does help me manage better. Like Jill, over the period of a couple days, I spent some time making baking mixes and labeling them. I find that the more natural / homemade I eat the better I feel as well. It doesn’t take the illness away but I believe it plays it’s part. Besides the mixes being convenient, I find I’m more motivated to bake / cook and be active during the day when I have things already partially prepared.. Also, like Maryhelen, I have to pick my priorities and be organized….it’s the only way I can really take part or manage things. Otherwise, I become so very stressed and I’m just not able to get much done. Just being in the habit of having a place for everything and putting everything back in its place lessens cleaning and effort. There are little tricks like that that do help. I’ll even use a timer at times for things especially if I have a very hard time being motivated to do certain tasks that are stressful and take a lot of effort. Before I know it that 15-20 minute intervals of the timer settings helps me accomplish even those icky things…ugh! Be blessed ladies.

December 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(6) cedar farris says:

If anyone gets the opportunity to see Truman Capote’s something like “A Christmas Story” or read the book…I saw it on tv a few times in the 60′s & 70′s & it is just fabulous for fibro people. It takes place in the Great Depression w/ a boy (Probably from his life) & his elderly Aunt it will reset anyone’s brain from the glare & stress of today’s Christmas to the real deal. It’s magical