1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Poll: Flu Shots with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By December 12, 2012

Have you had a flu shot this year? Do you plan to?

It's a controversial issue for those of us with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Take the poll, and if you want more information on this issue, see:

And be sure to read the many great comments left there, as well!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Comments
December 13, 2012 at 9:02 am
(1) Rachael says:

I personally would not get a flu vaccine. For one thing, I can’t even remember the last time I had the flu. I also believe that ME/CFS is caused by a chronically activated immune system; an autoimmune illness. Flu vaccines, by design, are meant to invoke an immune system response; something that I am not in need of since my immune system is already in continuous overdrive.

Dr Kent Holtorf a infectious disease specialist with extensive experience in autoimmune diseases has seen numerous patients who were harmed by vaccines. Dr Holtorf is an expert in the field of ME/CFS and FM. Quote: “Gulf War Syndrome, which is almost identical to ME/CFS and FM, was found to have a parallel cause. The cause was determined to be from multiple vaccinations under stressful conditions in susceptible individuals.”

On this video (at about the 2:30 mark) he talks about H1N1 flu shots and CFS and FM patients:

December 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm
(2) Katie says:

I have received flu shots every year for about the last six years (I’m 66) and have never had an adverse reaction. Nor have I gotten the flu.

December 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm
(3) Spookiesmom says:

I usually do, aside from a sore arm, had no bad reactions. This year my oncologist said no way! I’ll just need to be extra careful and get one next year if he ok’d.

December 14, 2012 at 4:54 pm
(4) Rebecca says:

I did get a flu shot this year because I’m getting married in February and I didn’t want to risk it. (Found a great guy who’s really sensitive to my health issues!) I also have been having a lot of asthma issues. Otherwise I haven’t the past few years. I don’t usually get colds or the stomach flu anyway. Nice, but probably not a good sign health wise.

December 15, 2012 at 5:41 am
(5) carolyn mcnamee says:

I agree with Rachael totally, which is why I wont be getting a flu jab! I have a child (one of six) whom I believe may have been affected by a vaccine at a young age causing him to be borderline aspergers syndrome.

December 15, 2012 at 7:17 am
(6) Cathy says:

In the fall of 1990, at age 35, I worked in a large medical practice and was encouraged to get the flu shot because of being in the healthcare field. I had no hesitation about taking it. Within hours after taking it, I felt “fluish”. A month or so later, I began to realize I was still feeling achy, exhausted (something very unusual for me), no appetite, not able to handle my usual activities after getting home from work. Extensive blood work revealed I had acute CMV, a herpes virus, which was unusual for someone my age as it’s a virus like chicken pox that you contract early in life and get over it in a week or so. I can only attribute this to taking the flu shot. I tried to continue working but in early 1993, left a job I loved and had planned to retire from to work part-time from home (as a medical transcriptionist). I’m now 57 and have progressively gotten worse between symptoms of CFS/FM and some vestibular issues that I also attribute to CMV. Taking the flu shot changed my life in so many ways. In Sept of 2011 I finally applied for SSD (my doctors had been telling me for several years to do so), and was approved in February 2012.

I did take the flu shot again a few years after the initial one because the CDC was encouraging people with immune system issues as well as the elderly and young children to do so as it was going to be a rough flu season. Within hours, again, I had flu-like symptoms and developed a very large fever blister, something I very seldom had in my lifetime. I went to the doctor who gave me the flu shot the next day to show him the fever blister and tell him of my increased flu-like symptoms. He said obviously I had “some immune system problem” and never to take the flu shot again.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to take the flu shot. Many of my family members do so every year with no problems. Just be aware that there are a few who do have problems and some of us who develop life-changing issues from it and other immunizations.

December 16, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(7) Lady Sharlyne says:

I was diagnosed with CFS in 1993, the FM, Tinitus, Diabetes and stomach problems plus cancer in 2000 all came later. But I took the flu shot in 1993 after speaking to the neurologist. Low and behold I got the flue from it and did not take it again until 2 years ago. The inbetween time I spent sick to near death at times every winter. In 2010 I had the flue so bad it threw me back into severe CFS/ME and took me almost two years to come out of it enough to return to part time work. I, for one, will always take the flu vaccine which has changed over the years and does with research year to year. We are all different in how our ailments affect us but I advocate for all my family and friends to get that jab.

December 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm
(8) Valerie says:

I’ve had a flu shot every year since 2001 when I got the flu & a kidney infection at the same time & was hospitalized for 2 weeks, including a stay in the ICU because I went into diabetic ketoacidosis shortly after being admitted. Being a very brittle type 2 diabetic, along with Fibromyalgia, it’s very highly recommended for me to have the flu shot.
After being admitted for the flu that time, I’m too concerned for my health to NOT get the flu shot. I’m lucky to only, occasionally, have a slight reaction to the shot. I’ve found for myself, it depends on the strains of flu included in the vaccine, that cause any reaction.Since I am a type 2 diabetic on insulin, with fibromyalgia, along with everything that comes along with the FM & some of what come with being a, now, long-term diabetic; I’m trying to do everything I can to prevent any more problems. Especially since if I end up with the flu, it ends up with a hospital stay & I don’t want that to happen again.

December 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm
(9) Mary Seroski says:

I have never had the flu shot and I have not had the flu in over 30 years.

A few years ago I developed RA, so my immune system was heightened to kill invaders.