1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Valerian for Sleep with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By November 23, 2012

A lot of us with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are anxious to try things that might help us sleep better. The supplement valerian is popular as a sleep aid, but will it work for us?

See what we know about this herb, how it works, and whether it's been researched for our conditions. Also learn about possible side effects and how much it's safe to take:

Have you used valerian? How did it work for you? Does another sleep supplement work better? Leave your comments below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Comments
November 23, 2012 at 6:31 pm
(1) petemora says:

I am very pleased with Alteril. I take one a day, at night, along with 10 mg. of generic Ambien. I usually sleep pretty good!

November 24, 2012 at 5:32 am
(2) jack says:

Valerian ..melatonin..all of those things dont do anything for chronic insomia. If you can take those things and sleep well consider yourself lucky. If you are a chronic insomniac some prescription drjgs can help in the short term..but long time term drugs arent the answer..what is the answer? Beats me.. but surely pills of any kind are not going to cure itching

November 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm
(3) Ivy says:

People should know that using Valerian for longer than 2 weeks is not advisable. Valerian raises cholesterol, which can lead to additional health problems.

November 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm
(4) throughhiker says:

I have found that the one thing that helps me sleep despite chronic pain and a serious sleep disorder is the practice of meditation. Cultivating a daily mindfulness meditation practice has made a dramatic difference for me, after years of insomnia and chaotic sleep patterns. Sleep meds really messed with my cognition and memory when I used them long-term, and I tried several different types (and they didn’t work very well either).

November 28, 2012 at 9:22 am
(5) dfwmom says:

I find that 3 grams of L-tryptophan combined with timed release melatonin is a helpful combination for sleep.

February 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm
(6) Mrs E Northrop says:

I find the information on your site very interesting as a fibro sufferer but those awful moving adds make me feel ill & nauseous!! I have to try to shield them from my vision in order to stay on the site.