1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Thanksgiving with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By November 14, 2012

Any big event can be hard on you when you have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Then there's Thanksgiving: a holiday based on cooking? Even worse.

Top that with intensive grocery shopping and days of prep work in the kitchen? Yeah, most of us will be out of commission for at least a week afterward. A lot of us would collapse around Tuesday and miss the turkey dinner entirely.

To help you get through Thanksgiving, whether you're hosting, traveling or playing a minor role, see:

Have you had some nightmare Thanksgivings? What helps you get through it? Are you still doing too much? Leave your comments below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo Flying Colors Ltd./Getty Images

Comments
November 16, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(1) Ines says:

I’m very concern. Because my family really thing that I don’t have anything and I am the designated cook, and I know that I will be wearout when the dinner time come. This is very hard because I take care of my grandchildre 3 yrs and 4 mOnth. I feel like I don’t have more energy.

November 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm
(2) Paula says:

We are having company but I am not cooking; going out!

November 16, 2012 at 3:43 pm
(3) Kathy says:

I quit cooking years ago (when family expected short order kitchen). For all celebrations, we go out. Sure miss our Ryans closing… love the buffets. God bless you all this holiday season & stay healthy as possible.

November 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(4) Linda says:

I do get tired of everyone assuming just because I say I can have dinner that it doesn’t effect me. The prep alone has been wearing me down and I feel guilty if I don’t do everything homemade. This is the mindset that got me into this condition to begin with. I am trying to pace myself, but easier said then done.

Any suggestions are welcomed! I am always just too hard on myself….
It would just be nice if there were some INSISTENT helpers that would know me well enough that I have to be FORCED to allow for help. Everyone is busy these days, but they don’t quite get it with having this condition. It is because I don’t LOOK sick! :(

November 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(5) RAGdoll712 says:

We (my kids and I) agreed last year that we would celebrate by going out to a sit-down-be-served restaurant for holiday meals. I gave up the cook position years ago and my son and daughter both have tried it and we all are willing to fore go the honor.

November 17, 2012 at 8:05 am
(6) diane says:

Our family has always shared putting the dinner together, but in the last few years it has become increasingly apparent that my cooking is not what it used to be – last year I used a frozen pie crust, with my own pie recipe, and it wasn’t the same. This year I made the crust myself and forgot to check it baking and burned the edges, but I’m sure it will taste great. My stuffing is always a hit and always requested, so I managed to buy the ingredients a few weeks ago and had everything ready. Yes, I am tired, and I have to travel today over an hour to dinner (we’re celebrating early so everyone can be together), but family is my greatest love and hugging my great niece and great nephew will make it all worthwhile. On Thanksgiving Day I hope to volunteer helping at my church for th victims of Sandy (I live at the jersey shore). By the way, weeks of pain since the hurricane and early snowstorm!

November 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm
(7) vhw says:

Getting the proper sleep over the holidays can help.