Some people with severe cases of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are unable to take care of themselves in even the most basic ways. The luckiest of those people have someone in their lives who has taken on the role of caregiver.
Some of us with these conditions are called on to be a caregiver for a family member.
Under any circumstances, being a caregiver is incredibly difficult. It's physically and emotionally exhausting, and caregivers typically get very little time to take care of themselves.
Here are some resources for the caregiver in your life, or for you if you're a caregiver, from some of my About.com colleagues:
- Why Being a Caregiver is So Hard, from Sharon O'Brien, Senior Living
- Common Causes of Caregiver Stress, from Elizabeth Scott, Guide to Stress Management
- Stress Relief for Caregivers, also from Elizabeth Scott
Additionally, I came across this great article on the ProHealth website:
Do you have an amazing caregiver? Are you a caregiver yourself? Share your experiences with caregiving by leaving a comment below!
- Things People With FMS & ME/CFS Don't Want to Hear
- When Someone You Love has FMS or ME/CFS
- What to Buy (or Not!) for Someone with FMS or ME/CFS
Photo © Photodisc/Getty Images