1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

A TENS Unit for Fibromyalgia Pain

By October 8, 2012

I'm really loving my new TENS unit!

Even though my fibromyalgia is technically in remission, I do still have a lot of muscle pain and tension that just won't go away. I recently had my doctor prescribe a TENS unit, and while I expected it to help, I didn't expect it to help so much or so fast.

What is TENS?

TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. A TENS unit is a pocket-sized device with a couple of cables that attach to electrodes. You stick the electrodes on where you've got pain, and the device sends a little electricity through the area. It relieves pain by essentially distracting the nerves with a new sensation, thus stopping them from sending pain signals. It also triggers the release of endorphins, which are the body's natural painkillers.

A consequence of these changes is that the muscles can relax. Pain leads to tension, which leads to more pain, which leads to more tension, etc. Breaking that cycle can give your muscles the relief they need.

My Experience

I've had electrical stimulation at physical therapy before, so I know it works well for me. (Of course, not everyone has the same experience.) I wanted the TENS because my worst symptom for the past couple of years has been myofascial pain and tension. All the massage, stretching, NSAIDs, hot baths and supplements I can throw at them help manage it somewhat, but they just don't do enough.

I got my TENS unit last week. I've used it 4 out of the 6 nights since, on multiple areas -- neck, back, hips, shoulders, arms and legs.

The result is that my muscles are much less tense. Hard, angry knots that have been there for years are starting to loosen up. My pain level has plummeted and my functionality has improved. I can stand up straight when I get out of bed in the morning. I'm sleeping better because my hips and a nasty trigger point on my thigh are no longer screaming at me all night.

So far, I've been able to cut down on painkillers and muscle relaxers, which I'm sure has made my liver happy.

I've only discovered one problem. The reusable electrodes it comes with need to go on a fairly flat area or they deliver the electricity to too small an area, which can be painful and make your muscles jump. That makes it hard to use them on your neck, which is one of my worst areas. My unit came with a big bag of single-use electrodes that are flexible, but - of course - I'm allergic to the adhesive and it left itchy, burning welts on my skin. So I'm experimenting to see what will work for my neck.

TENS for Fibromyalgia

We do have some evidence that TENS is effective for fibromyalgia pain. It doesn't work for everyone, but it does help some of us. TENS is generally considered a very safe treatment, as it won't interact with meds or make you loopy. I'm sure some of us can't tolerate it, though. In fact, a small percentage of the healthy population can't handle TENS, and I'd imagine that percentage is probably double in us. Still, at the outside, we're only talking about 15-20%.

Some research suggests that TENS may even have a calming effect on the central nervous system (CNS). A central feature of fibromyalgia is believed to be a hyper-sensitized CNS, so anything that will calm it down is likely to be a benefit.

Getting a TENS Unit

If your doctor prescribes TENS for you, you'll typically be sent to a physical therapist to learn how to use it. When you're there, you should be able to test it out. It doesn't take long to determine whether you like the feeling or not - the first few tingles will probably let you know.

TENS units typically cost a few hundred dollars, but some insurance plans cover them if they're prescribed by a doctor. It's also pretty easy to pick up an inexpensive used one on eBay or Craigslist, without having to worry about your doctor or insurance at all.

However, if you go this route, you should make sure your doctor knows you're using it, and it would be a good idea to get a consultation with someone like a physical therapist who can teach you how to use it properly. We need our treatments to do their job well and not cause further problems. Using a TENS unit incorrectly could really aggravate your muscles.

If you have reduced sensation, are pregnant, or have cancer or a pacemaker, TENS isn't considered safe for you.

Always remember that what works for some of us doesn't work for all of us. It's best to approach each treatment with cautious optimism, and if something like TENS doesn't seem to be right for you, don't stick with it just because it worked for me or someone else.

Have you used a TENS unit? How did it work for you? Have you considered getting one? Leave your comments below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo Stockbyte/Getty Images

Comments
October 9, 2012 at 12:02 am
(1) crystal says:

Thank you for this information and wonderful to hear it’s helping! I’d be interested to know if there are any damaging effects from long term usage. Continued relief to you!

October 9, 2012 at 2:28 am
(2) April says:

I tried the tens unit like 3 different times and it makes me worse. :’( I have also tried trigger point injections epidurals in my spine, anti depressants ( which make me freak out, so my only option is pain meds, Not only do I have fibromyalgia, Alot more things are going on, any advice would help. I exercise, alot of stretching, in which I have what I call the RUBBER BAND EFFECT, no matter how much I do stretch the next day, I feel like I’ve never stretched a day in my life :’(. Good luck to all who suffer with this disease because it can be hell at times.

October 9, 2012 at 10:24 am
(3) Staci says:

I do have a TENS unit which works wonderfully on some of my pain. The all-over-achiness is just all over, but I do get some gnarly trigger point spasms in my mid to lower back. The TENS unit is the only thing that can relieve that pain.

Unless my pain is BIG pain, I tend to not use my TENS unit during my work week, because the unit on my hip, the process of managing my wires while using the restroom and ineveitably removing an electrode, it all just is complet at work. But at home, I sometimes sleep with them on if it is the work week. Getting my hips and then that awful spot just below my shoulder blades under control can make the work day that follows quite a bit easier.

I highly reccomend looking in to a TENS unit, as the risks are limited (far less than my pain medication) and it is something that I have control over. When, why, how long, it is all up to me knowing what my body needs. Sometimes when I start feeling like all of my power and say has been stolen by this disease just having something under my control makes it a bit better.

October 9, 2012 at 10:18 pm
(4) candyfloss says:

The TENS unit I borrowed was not good for either the FM tender points that I have or the ME post exertional muscle pain or the ME nerve type pain.

This must be a very individual thing.

The TENS unit actually intensified the FM pain in specific area

(I’ve split the types of pain just to try and be specific. I had ME for 20 years and then developed FM after an accident so they are different for me)

October 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm
(5) JEANNINE says:

So what is the most reasonable one to get I have been wanting to get one but was just going to get one myself and not thru insurance There are some reasonable one so do those work?

October 12, 2012 at 3:45 pm
(6) shelley says:

you inspired me to try mine again . my neck and shoulder are horrendous . i find that sometimes it helps, other times it makes it worse but will give it another go .. glad it is helping you

October 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm
(7) Kellie says:

I have not heard of using a TENs for fibro before, and I think it sounds like something that may help me. Thanks, Adrienne. I’ve had them applied at a chiropractor’s office and they helped in that setting.

October 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(8) nancyjean says:

I, too have a TENS unit and have used it for several years. I also helped my mom learn to use one years ago under a doctor’s care. Be sure to read all the warnings first. Most TENS units infos discourage using it anywhere near the heart – front or back. In some rare cases, it can influence your heartbeat which can lead to heart failure or heart attacks. My worst pain/tension is between my shoulder blades. Because of the location, my doctor told me not to use it either front or back because it is too near my heart. I’d be glad to hear what others who use it are saying, too.

October 12, 2012 at 4:32 pm
(9) nancyjean says:

The cost of a good TENS unit has gone down in price quite a lot over the years. You can find some excellent new ones online for about $69 to $100 now. Good luck!

October 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm
(10) Margaret golby says:

Hi, I have been willing to try anything to relieve the pain I suffer from fibro, ME/CFS , slipped discs and OA. I have become so sensitised to pain and antidepressant meds, I was willing to give a hospital loaned TENS machine a second chance.
Result…… I can’t use it as I was allergic to the sensitive skin electrode patches. Pity as the gentle vibrations seemed to help. I managed to up these “vibes” to level 5 but no further. I wish I haven’t become so drug/chemical sensitive as there are few things I can use to escape the annoyance and despair I get when the pain hits a high level. It makes sleep meds a must as without them I’d never get any sleep.

October 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm
(11) Pr Chris says:

I’ve had some experience over the years, but didn’t see much help with the TENS. However, I’m now in PT again, and after experiencing huge amounts of pain after trying some new exercises, the PTs have used a combo: TENS and ultra-sound. Ultra sound is not something necessarily we can do at home. However, some of what ultrasound does is add a moist heat effect in the muscles. I’m now experimenting with a home variant: TENS + Hydrocollator packs. The packs are those canvas ribbed units that PT would keep hot and wet, and apply to the body wrapped in a couple of towels. As the pack cools, it provides some of the most effective heat available. The packs are not expensive ($20 or so…) and I have two that I keep in a stockpot on the stove during a flair, and in the freezer in a baggie at other times (so they don’t dry out…)

What my PT said is that the TENS unit cannot be used over too big an area; otherwise it is not as effective. The ultrasound (or heat packs) concentrate on the muscle in between/over the TENS electrodes.

I’ve been surprised at how helpful it has been this time.

October 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(12) Kat Brown says:

I loved my TENs when I could use it! My problem is that I’m now allergic to all of the adhesive pads! Even the blue ones leave the skin red and itchy after even just 15 minutes of use. meh. I was able to use carbon pads with the gel but can’t find them anymore and now I can’t even find my old TENs unit which worked better than the new one because I was able to adjust both the intensity and way it worked (ramped/burst etcetera). But I highly recommend trying it! It was great for my osteoarthritis & chronic myofascial pain as well as kicking tension migraines before they got going badly. I had bifurcated leads so I could get eight leads going off of each TENs unit.

October 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm
(13) Tammie says:

I love my TENS unit – helps more than anything else I’ve tried.

It is very important, though, that TENS units are not used on the neck or head….I dont’ remember now what the reason for that is but I do remember that it can cause some really big problems.

October 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm
(14) Marnie says:

I was prescribed a TENS unit years ago through my physical thereapy (for neck and back injuries), before I developed Fibro. I mainly use it for my lower back spasms, but have found recently that it really makes my fibro flare, bad enough to not warrant using it, unless I’m in excruitiating pain! If anyone wants to try it, and don’t have insurance, I’ve found the most reasonable prices are on Medical ProductsOnline,Inc. I get my electrodes and replacement wires from them, and have had great service and very timely delivery, always. Good luck to all, and be strong, fibro pals!

October 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(15) Sophie says:

Working for the parent company, I received a tens unit close to 30 years ago. I was disapointed that it di not help me with my then unknown fms. The orgin use was correcting scoliosis
Good luck with yours and remember the “honeymoon” peorid. I can not even think about a $69 unit working.

October 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm
(16) Donna says:

I have a TENS unit that I use on my lower back. Sometimes, I have to reposition the electrodes to get the right stimulation; but, it works great for me. I have also used it on my shoulders, knees, hips, base of my neck, and even my wrists. It’s so much better for pain relief than most pain relievers that I have tried.

October 13, 2012 at 1:15 am
(17) Brian says:

I’ve used a TENS for years for several injury sites & chronic pain. With reusable pads, use a thin smear of the proper gel, then tape the pads in place. There’s a light weight tape for this. This set-up works fine for all locations including my neck (behind jaw under ear). Note you should never have pads on neck arteries or throat.
Don’t give up too quickly on the TENS. Google ‘TENS electrode placement’ for lots of free info, because sometimes the most effective result is from a placement that you had not considered. Also resist the temptation to crank it up. More is not better. Read the manual and consult with a skilled physio if you can.

October 13, 2012 at 4:08 am
(18) Cindy says:

I have fibromyalgia and degenerative disc disease in my neck and lower back. When lower back pain gets to be too much the “tens” unit is moderately effective in at least making it livable. Several months ago when I had major pains in my arm, I used the unit for that as well. I swear using that device is what cleared that pain up as I’d been trying to massage it to no avail. I started acupuncture two weeks ago and its done more for my pain than anything else including hydrocodone. Its also reducing some of the fatigue. Am crossing my fingers that the relief continues.

October 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm
(19) eva says:

My TENS unit helps with the terrible pain I have due to some nerve problems intensified by fms. I got one last winter for about $30 from Amazon. It’s the same one a chiro had me try. It works! There are more advanced ones out there, but Medicare probably won’t pay anything, so for me, this cheap model does the trick.

October 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(20) Deb says:

A week or so ago HSN had a TENS unit as their Value of the Day, or whatever they call it. It was made by Tony Little, who partners with Homedics alot. Even if it costs a little more than it did for that one day, here’s the good thing. Whatever you buy now through late December doesn’t have to be returned until Jan. 31 if you don’t like it-for xmas gift giving purposes. So if they have any left, you’d have a decent amount of time to see if it works for you, and if it doesn’t, you can just send it back. I wish I’d known about this when the unit was on HSN. Not only do I have super sucky fibro, but both my husband and my son have degenerative disc disease. I hope HSN still has some of these, if not maybe Tony Little’s website would be of help. The HSN advantage is the extra try-out time, and the option for the money back returns.
Hang in there.

October 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(21) Chris D says:

Yes, Sofie, the more inexpensive units work. Many are available from Amazon. I’ve used one for about a year and the results are excellent. I run the current from my ankle to above my elbow on low cycles and medium intensity and can halt a serious flare in a couple of 60 minute sessions, one per day. My husband and I both use it, he for chronic back pain and tense shoulders and me for tension in shoulders and the fibro. I wish I knew why running this current through my body makes me feel so much better, but it ABSOLUTELY does. CNS suppression, maybe. I guess I think that, because our bodies are essentially electrical in nature, perhaps this particular frequency/cycles/intensity mix just sets me back in some sort of better place. It took lots of experimentation to find the right combination of cycles/second and intensity and placement. Sadly, there is very little literature available to assist sufferers in figuring out how much and where, but I believe it’s worth the effort to experiment a bit to see if the effects are worth the time spent. I know that my TENS machine has saved me a zillion dollars in pills and an incalculable amount of pain.

October 14, 2012 at 7:55 pm
(22) Chris says:

I find that the silver adhesive pads cause less irritation for those that suffer from chemical sensitivities.

October 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm
(23) Anne says:

I go to a neurofeedback practioner who specializes in LENS (like TENS but lower frequency, as I understand, and used primarily on the head) – for CFS/brain fog/anxiety issues. It has been amazing. I can actually piece together a sentence on good days, and it has reduced anxiety levels, and some other good things, w/virtually no side effects

When googling online about this, saw an article by a researcher who had tested different hormone levels in the body, before and after neurofeedback treatments – and showed that it raised levels of DHEA,which in *normal* people acts in a balanced see-saw effect to cortisol, the stress hormone.When DHEA levels are healthy, it can lower cortisol at appropriate times (high cortisol can lead to brain fog, insomnia, panic attacks, etc). I have a theory that for some of us cortisol levels are perpetually elevated , perhaps partially due to lowered/impaired DHEA levels, for prolonged periods of time causing damage response to brain and body responses. DHEA is offered as a nutritional supplement, but for many people including myself, it can cause bad side effects taken orally.

I tried to use two different home versions of different neurofeedback machines, but they were too strong (headaches). Unfortunately am running out of funds and not sure how much longer I can afford to see the practioner, but it has been a good experience for me!

Anyways there is a good article available online that was printed in The Washingtonian magazine (DC based) several years ago, that mentions more info on the effects of neurofeedback by a journalist named Jody Jaffe, that led me to try this.

October 14, 2012 at 11:43 pm
(24) Edana says:

I was given a tens unit when I was being treated by a Physiatrist and some PT. It was found that I have an exercise intolerance. So all the years of PT actually did irreparable damage to my muscles.

Medicare paid 80% of the price of the Tens Machine. I used it for several months and did get some pain relief from it, but I never was unaware of the electricity pulsing through me. It was very distracting.

October 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm
(25) Cynthia says:

I stumbled upon a kind of Tens Unit years ago. I say “a kind of” because I had no idea at that time what a Tens Unit was. It was remarkably cheap and has lasted a good many years. The only problem I had was finding the pads after a while. I just found a second one from Amazon so I grabbed it up. It is not a miracle but when I have to walk a lot I put the two gel pads on either side of my lower back and hit the mid-range intensity which I can do without looking. I keep the unit in my pocket. I can adjust it and turn it on or off without making a big deal of it. No, its not a cure but it sure does help. It helps a lot more than those expensive large lidocaine patches. One word of warning……start at the lowest frequency. Be careful when turning it up. If you get it too high accidentally it will feel like what I think a stun-gun might feel like. If you haven’t tried it you should. It may not work for you but if it does I hope you get results like mine.

October 16, 2012 at 1:40 am
(26) Leah says:

I first received
my tens unit after I pulled the ligamemts attached to my saccfum. I already had fibro, neck injury, back and tailbone/saccrul injury, too, so I don’t know why they did not prescribe one before the last injury! Anyway, it was ok the first time I used it, but the pain was already so severe that even a small relief was good. After a few months it caused too much pain, so I put it away for a year and a half. I just went through another round of pelvic pain pt and my therapist had me try it again. It is very helpful now. Got some healing under my belt. she said to use it all over. I highly highly reccomend pelvic pain pt for anyone w tailbone or saccrul pain. gentle and it helps so much. If the tens doesnt work all of the time don’t fret. It is a tool to use whenever u can. Hope this helps. If one pad causes skin problems, try a different brand or carrier. When not in use, store on the same thing they sent it to u on. They will last longer.

October 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm
(27) Spookiesmom says:

I love my tens! It really has been a great help. I can get up to 8 patches on it. I’ll sleep with it, or just wear it around the house.

The directions did say not to wear it over the carotid artery.

If your muscles are contracting or jumping its turned up too high

October 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(28) Sophie says:

I worked for an medical manufacting company some years ago. The sub mfg Tens Unit for use in scoliosis. I used one for my then unknow pain but found it ineffective. Watch out for the “honeymoon” effect. I don’t think that the cheap ones would do much and would be a waste of money. Prescriptions were needed.

October 19, 2012 at 7:20 pm
(29) Betty says:

I’ve used a tens unit for over nine years. It has definitely melodrama my fibro/CFS . I also have RLS and it is a big benefit at night. My tens machine was bought from a British co. And cost less than $70. I wear it continuously through the day and most nights. The electronic pads last for quite some time. If they get a bitdry I just slightly moisten them. I only use the strength that is comfortable for me. Not too high and I move the pads slightly every few hrs.

October 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm
(30) Peggy says:

I successfully used a TENS unit for years. My Physical Therapist requested a script from my MD. She then ordered from a very good company as she explained that not all TENS units are created equal. My insurance company paid for it when they were informed by my PT that the need still existed after several months of use. It was the only thing that got me through the day when I was working. My skin was very sensitive to the pads that came with the kit but i was able to order some that were hypoallegenic for sensitive skin. Those were wonderful and I could keep them on all day. I would typically have my husband put the electrodes on different trigger points on my back and then i would turn the unit currency on to a very low setting. Sometimes i left it that way all day and other times I would turn it off for an hour or so several times a day. I found that leaving it on low and getting a steady current worked best for me. As with all things you need to experiment to find the right formula for your needs.

October 22, 2012 at 12:14 am
(31) Ray says:

The trigger point infections did nothing for me and the injections in the spine lasted about 3wks. I have had a tens unit for many years and was using for my lower back and neck. I started using it for fibro pain the last 6mo and some areas it helps and others nothing. I have learned I need to use it more but the little sticky pads dont last and I have no insurance since my husband got cancer and we could not afford to continue to carry it. These pads are reusable but I can’t get them to stick anymore.

October 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm
(32) rho says:

Try this: Take the adhesive off the pad and apply gel (there is a special gel that is used for the pads) to the pad and then put on your painful spot, and then tape the pad to the skin with a couple of sprips of special tape. I buy the gel and tape because the adhesive sticky stuff on the pad wears down after a while anyways. The gel and tape is also cheaper than buying pads every several months.
This method may just work for you. :)

October 31, 2012 at 10:07 pm
(33) mimisue2 says:

We do have to be persistent until we get the relief we need. I am not always without pain, but I have a TENS unit which does help for some type of pain in my back. I also have a traction unit that I use at home for another type of back pain . I am not able to use NSAIDs because I only have one kidney which is damaged, so I go to a pain doctor and am prescribed pain meds-in low doses, which also helps. I take some supplements which provide limited relief. Together these, and other treatments provide relief a lot of the time. But, hopefully, some day, I will get the pain under control.
Be persistent, we deserve to be without pain.
Mimisue

November 23, 2012 at 2:24 am
(34) Marlo says:

I just recently bought the Pain Gone pen which is like TENS but without the electrodes. It doesn’t take batteries and you place it on the painful area(s) and press the button 30-40 times. I haven’t used it too much yet but am wondering if any of you have heard of it or used it and if so, what your results with it were.

December 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm
(35) Peter Markman says:

TENS should never, ever be used on the neck. Your suggestion to do so is dangerous to say the least. Also, advising others to circumvent their doctor by purchasing a TENS unit off Ebay is equally “bad medicine”.

TENS can kill someone who wears a pacemaker or has a bad heart.

February 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm
(36) thom says:

My doctor just ordered one for me to help with chronic migraines. I too have knots — my body is rigid in many places.

Here’s another tip: I developed restless legs while on SSRI. It felt like stored up electrical energy and was really an awful condition. I wondered if electric stim would release this feeling by spasming the muscle and releasing what felt like energy stored in the muscle that wouldn’t release. My PT used it on me an it worked!!!! And the results lasted quite a while. A TENS might also work. Anything is worth a try when you live with this illness. Also I have never heard of FM remission? What is definition? I have only heard or experienced chronic stage with even worse flare-ups.

April 9, 2013 at 11:06 pm
(37) stacy says:

I have had a TENS unit for the past 5 years and use it to relieve pain in my neck due to muscle spasms. Do not place the electrodes on your neck. They are placed below your neck just off to the sides, kind of between the shoulder blades but on your upper back. If you have problems using the 2″ Electrodes ask to try the smaller 1″ for this area. They also have a gel that you can put on the back to hold them on even more. Also, I would never get one of these off the internet and expect them to work as well or as reliably as one that is prescribed for you. The good ones like my own have many different settings and should be set up for you to use. Some settings are for re-educating muscles. It was also approximately $1300.00 and was covered by insurance. Hope this helps

April 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(38) stacy says:

Sorry forgot to tell everyone if the pads kind of dry out and stop sticking add a few drops of water and let the soak it up to rehydrate them

June 13, 2013 at 6:42 pm
(39) Karen says:

I love using my TENS for back pain. But beware of using on your neck. The unit comes with a booklet that tells you that use in the neck region can cause your esophagus to spasm and close off!

July 28, 2013 at 8:30 am
(40) kristy says:

I have used tens unit for 2 yrs. I don’t really know what FM is but I have pain in my neck that caused me to stop living. I am convinced I lost my job because of the onset of this debilitating pain 3 yes ago. Now my pain is my arms and hands and I feel my new job is in jeopardy. The tens worked wonders for managing my neck pain. I wrap a silky scarf around my neck for complete contact and when stickiness is gone. Perhaps for those who are allergic to adhesive can put a thin scarf or something(I use paper tape for my daughter since she is allergic to some but not all adhesives.) between skin and adhesive then make it have contact with skin by wrapping a scarf over electrodes. This inconvenience is worth it since the tens really works for our pain. Also, I use tens over shoulder blades back side of heart. Dr and physical therapist did not mention any concern for heart problems. This may be a liability issue or concern for those with heart problems. I was instructed to avoid throat area so as not to spasm and not be able to breath. Easy to avoid though. Thanks for all the info. I Will be passing it onto other pain sufferers.

August 4, 2013 at 8:40 pm
(41) online form builder says:

Flash web designers will like the cost and the creativity of
the Trendy Flash Site Builder. Wouldn’t it be easier if we could be able to save changes ourselves whenever we want. Therefore it’s better to always do the intelligent
point and take these tips.

August 15, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(42) Linda G says:

My chiropractor ordered me a tens unit back in June. For me it helps a lot! Definitely cuts down on my pain.

September 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm
(43) Michael says:

Been using my TENS Unit ever since I pulled my lower back swimming years ago. Sometimes the pad starts to

And don’t use the TENS on the neck because it can cause the throat muscle to constrict blocking the airways. Very dangerous

October 9, 2013 at 3:28 am
(44) Reyan Loeffler says:

Really a nice info. I have also found that ens unit is a great deal back pain relief. I would like to share this post to number of my other friends.

January 31, 2014 at 12:57 am
(45) Julie says:

My PT therapist just ordered me a TENS unit! I am so looking forward to using it after reading your article!

January 31, 2014 at 1:12 am
(46) Donna says:

I have been using a tens unit for the past 4 years and have used them in the past also there isn’t any adverse long term effect that I have seen just a whole lot of long term benefits.I have several medical conditions that all cause chronic pain and have a hard time getting up and standing for any length of time,my TENS unit has been a life savor I wear it so I can stand up long enough to wash a small sink of dishes that isn’t possible without it because the pain in my back becomes too intense.

January 31, 2014 at 4:11 pm
(47) Marcia says:

I tried the TENS unit. It did nothing for me. I also tried all kind of pain medication to no avail. Nothing seems to help. I was surprised to see you are in remission. I have read and heard a number of times there is no remission, but then I see a post like yours. I too was in remission for a short time. Don’t know why I went into remission, but I did all I could possibly do during that time and was feeling better. Now however, my fibromyalgia has come back with a vengeance.

March 1, 2014 at 5:18 am
(48) Sunshine says:

Just remember to NEVER use a Tens unit on or around your carotid artery on the sides of your neck or jaw or on your temples, or over your heart, as it could cause a stroke. Very important!