1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Phone App Tracking of Fibromyalgia, Other Pain

By May 11, 2012

The creator of a smart-phone app for tracking chronic pain has announced that fibromyalgia is among the top conditions for which people use the app.

Damon Lynn lives with chronic pain himself. He says a survey of users of his My Pain Diary: Chronic Pain Management for iPhone shows that it's used for:

• Back Pain: 42%
  • Migraines/Headaches: 40%
  • Fibromyalgia: 38%

That adds up to more than 100%, which is because 59% of users are tracking more than one chronic condition, and 15% of users are tracking five or more.

A lot of health-focused smart-phone apps are available. As the owner of what must be a really dumb phone, I'm clueless about apps.

Fortunately, some of my fellow About.com Guides know a lot about them! For more information, you can see:

Do your research before choosing an app, though. A medical study of them (yes, for real!) showed that health care providers are rarely involved in their creation, and that pain apps tend to promise relief without concern for effectiveness - and some of them could possibly have an adverse effect.

I'm sure some of you have apps to recommend. Tell us about them and what they've done for you by leaving a comment below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Ron Levine/Getty Images

Comments
May 11, 2012 at 8:08 am
(1) Happy says:

It’s a website, rather than an app, but I’ve been using Patients Like Me for about a year and a half, and it’s great for printing up doctor visit sheets to keep my GP up to date on my symptoms.

May 11, 2012 at 9:05 pm
(2) Mary Seroski says:

I got a free USB bracelet from CARE. Install the program from the USB. You enter your data on the computer and save it to both computer and flash drive.

It’s really kewl!!

May 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm
(3) Layla says:

Ive been using Damon’s app for several months now and really appreciate its development. I have several diseases that cause pain and this app is simple to use, and pretty easily adapted to each user’s needs. The developer is also open to ideas that might make the app even better

May 12, 2012 at 12:06 am
(4) John says:

Does anyone know if one would be made for Android. I sure would use on.

November 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm
(5) Frank Ille says:

HealthSaaS Announces the Release of Pain Tracker Plus for the iPhone

Frank Ille CEO of HealthSaaS states, “Pain Tracker Plus for the iPhone allows us to expand our solutions for pain management and further illustrates our commitment to developing innovative solutions that help improve decision making for people with chronic pain. “As a long term chronic pain patient who has undergone five low back surgeries and bilateral TMJ surgery I understand the many challenges patients have in managing their pain and communicating important information to their care team.”

December 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm
(6) Life Control Software says:

If you are an Android user looking for a tool to help you manage your fibromyalgia, check out Manage My Pain for Android at ManagingLife.com

Manage My Pain for Android has helped thousands of people better understand their symptoms and provide evidence of their pain for their doctors, insurance companies, or government agencies. It is the most effective pain management app to record, track, analyze, & share your pain.

November 5, 2013 at 12:26 am
(7) Pomiar Mapa says:

Purchase a lens cleaner and a soaking solution and you will
be just fine. For this investment the small-scale buyer gets a self-contained solar
power system that provides AC power to run a desktop and monitor is designed to be deployed anywhere where AC 120 watt power is not available.
In hiring the services of a SEO company, one should always take into mind that search engine optimization takes time.