1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Personality & Physiology in Fibromyalgia: A New Discovery

By March 19, 2012

Research Brief

Fibromyalgia has long been tied to certain personality traits, both by the medical community and by some in the patient community. However, this observation has always been controversial, with many objecting that such stereotyping was erroneous and blamed non-physiological traits for a physiological illness.

Now, new research may resolve the controversy by tying both fibromyalgia AND a personality trait to a physiological root.

Researchers from Duke University Medical Center studied 3,176 neurology patients, looking at information from a genetic analysis, psychological work up, medical history and physical examinations. They found that a particular genetic expression, called alpha-1-antitrypsin (A1AT) polymorphism, was associated with a personality trait called "intense creative energy" (ICE) and also with fibromyalgia and multiple other illnesses.

The fibromyalgia stereotype is generally about a Type A personality, which refers to someone who's highly driven, a perfectionist and intense. While that's not exactly synonymous with ICE, logically it does seem that we'd see a large overlap between the two.

Other illnesses had previously been linked to A1AT polymorphism, including some lung and liver vulnerabilities. More illnesses were linked to it in this study, including Parkinson's disease, anxiety disorders, bipolar spectrum disorders, inflammatory muscle disease, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, post-traumatic stress disorder, attention deficit disorder and primary progressive aphasia. The polymorphism was not linked to an increased risk of Alzheimer's disease.

This link indicates a greater risk of developing an associated illness but does not mean all people with the polymorphism will develop it. Toxic exposure appeared to increase the risk of developing several of the associated conditions.

It's important to note that while some of the conditions linked to A1AT are classified as mental-health or behavioral illnesses, they all deal with physical neurological abnormalities.

Would you classify yourself as someone with (or formerly with) intense creative energy? Do you have other illnesses linked to the polymorphism, or do you see evidence of them in your family? Leave your comments below!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Chad Baker/Ryan McVay/Getty Images

Comments
March 19, 2012 at 9:15 am
(1) Jodi says:

I think it would have been both helpful and credible to define explicitly what “intense creative energy” (ICE) is exactly and talk much more about it. You mentioned it in passing and then that was it. Sorry I don’t mean to criticise you but it’s not clear what it is. Saying there’s an overlap but that 2 variables aren’t synonous tells us really nothing about then what one variable (ICE) is explicity. People can’t give you an accurate answer about whether they have ICE tendencies or not if they really don’t know what ICE is, true?

Somehow reading this as both a psychologist and ME sufferer I feel there has been a massive jump made for the sake of an article being written. There has also been research released which does not actually back up any personality variables or traits driving these illnesses.

Studies such as these are dubious to me and border on disempowering the ME and CFS population by wasting funding on research dollars when money should be spent on finding a cure by concentrating all research in the biomedical field were it is needed.

Entertaining this or any psychological/psych-social models (and this is coming from a registered psychologist) is both inappropriate, past it’s expiry date, and frustrating as people are dying while this fruitless nonesense carries on. Yes, people are dying from this devastsating neurological/neuro-immune disease.

March 19, 2012 at 9:39 am
(2) Dubliner says:

On the other hand Jodi if the research isolating a particular genetic expression hold up to duplication it could in time lead to treatment options so I don’t think such research money is wasted. At the end of the day all successful research stands on the shoulders of that which comes before and it all takes money.

March 19, 2012 at 9:43 am
(3) Dana says:

I’ve been tested and do have an alpha-1-antitrypsin polymorphism. I kept having elevated liver enzymes with no explanation. I do like things to be perfect which is way this disease with its limitations is so tough.

March 19, 2012 at 9:52 am
(4) Rachael says:

“Rather than saying the personality type is a cause of the illness, this research suggests a common physiological underpinning of both the personality type and the illness.”
**************************
I have always been able to understood this; I have always seen a definite pattern in personality type and illnesses people are prone to develop. I don’t see this as a weakness in my personality, as I am no more in control of my innate highly-reactive immune system, than someone is who has an inborn poor-functioning one. It’s just that we are biologically different.

Sensitive people; creative people are more likely to suffer from autoimmune illnesses and allergies, along with asthma, ASD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, fibromyalgia, migraines, Multiple Chemical Senstivities, Gulf War Syndrome, ALS and ADD etc. It makes sense since we are already highly up-regulated that we would develop diseases associated with an up-regulation of the immune system; that repeat exposures to toxins etc lends us more vulnerable to these illnesses. It certainly doesn’t make these illnesses any less real than cancer, diabetes or HIV/AIDS. They are still physical illnesses which are just more likely to develop in Type A personalities.

March 19, 2012 at 10:10 am
(5) Mary says:

Duke’s research makes sense:

-”Abnormal overexpression of mastocytes in skin biopsies of fibromyalgia patients”

-”Alpha1-antitrypsin replacement therapy controls fibromyalgia symptoms in 2 patients with PI ZZ alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency”.

March 19, 2012 at 10:47 am
(6) Misty says:

Makes a lot of sense to me, and helps to clarify my thoughts for my own personal reasons I am affected. I am definitely Type A, have worked in high stress positions since I was 19 years old. The job, along with 2 kids and divorce, and having to do everything myself because “I can do it quicker than trying to tell some how I want it”…lol…
My prayer is that the continued research will be able to more closely identify those at risk and prevent others from going through what we each deal with everyday. What an awesome discovery…

March 19, 2012 at 10:49 am
(7) Rachael says:

Type A personalities are wired; have up-regulated immune systems and are more likely to develop autoimmune illnesses. They are also more likely to have allergies, asthma, anxiety and suffer a sudden heart attack not caused by clogged arteries, but by inflammation; an immune system in overdrive, just like them.

Type B personalities on-the-other-hand are laid back and in need constant stimulation/excitement. This also applies to their immune systems. They are more like to get illnesses like HIV/AIDS, Type I diabetes and suffer from depression (exercise probably helps these people by boosting their immune response). They are also prone to colds, flues, viruses and infections. They probably benefit from eg flu shots, repeat vaccinations etc because their suppressed immune systems are always in need of a constant boost.

Not all illnesses are caused by a suppressed immunity. Postitive thoughts, CBT and meditation may be beneficial for both (Type A) and (Type B) personality illnesses, but will CURE NEITHER.

March 19, 2012 at 11:42 am
(8) Rachael says:

This innate highly-reactive immune system was probably a wonderful thing to be born with over 200 years ago when we lacked antibiotics, antivirals, vaccinations and living conditions were less than desirable. There have always been people in this world who didn’t get the “latest” deadly plague/virus, or if they did, it was mild and they survived it; people who were born with high-functioning immune systems that made them less vulnerable to disease. It’s just that now the tables have turned, they are making us sick instead. Repeat exposures to toxins, vaccinations, antibiotics etc are activating an immune system into overdrive that was never in need of stimulation; one that was quite capable all on its own to take care of invaders.
***************************
The Canary Party

March 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(9) Dana says:

Yes! That’s totally me!

March 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm
(10) Christie says:

Unfortunately, I too have found, through contact, relations and support with other chronic long term illnesses that the classic over-achiever, type A personality is prevalent among us.

I too am the classic type. Artistic to a fault, creative, over-achiever, driven and consumed by my work. I have always been a fast riser in any field I work in, I am well educated, creative and artistic. Solely devoted to my work and my passions.

I have not been tested, but, would believe that A1AT and ICE are likely highly prevalent among us.
Simply because of our lifestyles, our choices, our drives and our inability to slow down.

It’s always been a debate, am I sick because of who I am? Or am I who I am because I am sick?
Does what makes me so driven and a classic over-achiever leave me pre-disposed to become ill?
Or is it the illness that creates the drive and need to achieve?

chicken or egg…

I don’t think this research is ridiculous, I believe with out a doubt, that determining which one creates the problem and what can be done to help that genetic disposition is a potential break through that may be able to eventually give some of us a normal life again.

March 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm
(11) Suzischnauzer says:

As a child I was always “Naughty” in school, meaning I talked too much. I could not do math, it was like a foreign language to me. I tried so hard, but it was not going to happen for me. Now as an adult with fibro, MCS, allergies, a survivor of PTSD, I realized I have ADD and dyslexia. But as a child of the 50s, there was no such thing. I was just naughty and dumb. Since I have diagnosed myself, so many things fall into place. And my life would have been so different if I had known that I wasn’t responsible for the above digressions. I have been in a number of support groups for fibro and yes, most of us were Type A people. But I agree with the chicken and egg comparison. I would love to know the reason we are prone to these illnesses, do our brains get bored with life and make us deal with these horrid diseases to occupy our time? I like things to be perfect, and I certainly have a perfect case of fibro, textbook actually. So I am finally really good at something.

March 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm
(12) Gregory says:

Okay the Personality type A I knew about. That’s me. Or was. Again I see a lot of my Mother in this article. I also have lung issue’s. My experience has been a lot like my mother’s. Miss diagnoses. People judged my mother. By saying not wanting to do anything or help herself. And i know that I get the same judgement. And i don’t deserve it. I worked hard all of my life and had to take care of my Mother. She suffered depression and other ailments. So I was care taker for her, and had to form my life at the same time. It was difficult. And my body suffered everything suffered. I am not blaming my mother. She did what she could. She didn’t have the support that we have today. This group at least. It is still very hard for people to understand, esp. for a man. So I am soo happy that i found this info and group. It speaks volumes of what i am going through. Greg

March 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(13) Dorothy says:

I do see these traits in myself and in most all of the people I know with fibro or chronic fatigue. I don’t see a problem with “stereo-typing” those personalities and linking them to one or more diseases. They stereotype apple-shaped persons as those more likely to have diabetes or heart problems, that’s in your genes. I hope this is one step forward that will help those with fibromyalgia be seen as ‘normal’, with a real problem. It’s not in my head. I really do hurt all the time and feel bad because I can’t keep up my house work. I’m not lazy!

March 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm
(14) mariah says:

This is the first I have heard of this…I have fybro, cfs, bipolar II….I also have adhd…I dont have a Type A personality. I never have…but I had a hard life growning up and I know that plays a big part in it all.

March 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm
(15) Julie says:

This does not surprise me at all. Most of us that communicate thru social sites and other place with FM, CFS, etc, ALL have such COMMON traits its is like we are related. WHY so many of the medical community won’t GET THIS….or understand this drives me nuts!! Generally speaking it seems the ppl WITH these health issues know more of the latest updates that the doctors, yet if you try to tell them, they don’t want to hear it or treat as if THEY are the ‘intelligient ones’; how DARE YOU tell THEM something-or they’re patronizing…degrees do not mean that the ‘common ppl’ are idiots-even thought a few times I was much smarter than they were. They are just ‘parrots’ who memorized what they were told, for the most part….For those of you who are blessed to have a dr. that treats you well, thank them, and KNOW how blessed you are….

March 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm
(16) Alistair says:

I agree entirely with Jodi. ‘Intense creative energy’ (ICE) is medically un-defined. According to David Bohm and David Peat its the sort of stuff Einstein, the Wright brothers, Oppenheimer, Krishnamurti, Tutu, Moore, Thich Nhat Hanh, Gandhi, MLK or Dalai Lama were /are blessed with not cursed with. Do all these ‘guys’ have Fibro and Mood Disorders? No otherwise ‘Nuts’ not Genius’s. Dr Donald Schmechel of Psychiatry and Neurology, has form in writing about A1AT polymorphisms ie; his 2007 ” Art, alpha-1-antitrypsin polymorphisms and intense creative energy: blessing or curse?” Dr C. Edwards -http://psychiatry.duke.edu/modules/psych_staff/index.php?id=3 Seem to offer a narrow subjective views. Their recent research relied on a pint of patients, a dabble of medical history, a touch of examination, a subjective psychological evaluation not defined international standard(IS) combined with a tiny pinch of genetic analysis and all mixed together, poured into a ‘puter to spew out statistics that are not reference to type or IS. Dellwo who normally writes very reasonable articles COMPLETELY failed to sight either as Psychiatrist. So far as a medically definition for ICE is concerned I’m at a loss. A 1987 book by David Bohm and David Peat called ‘Science, Order and Creativity and the chapter titled ‘Creativity in the whole of life’ which refers to the CONCEPTUAL notion of ICE. Neither Bohm nor Peat were/are medically trained. Schmechel nor Edwards are from the school or Division of Biological Psychiatry. Until such time as Fibro’, mood disorders and (ICE) are biologically associated with A1AT polymorphisms and validated biologically by the trustworthy non speculative likes of Carruthers, van de Sande, De Meirleir, Klimas, Staines, Petersen, Pall, Lapp or Komaroff , I’ll be taking ICE’s assoc A1AT polymorphisms with a pinch of dogs. I have Fibro’ and mood disorders but I can’t paint like Cezanne, Monet, Gauguin or Van Gogh.

March 19, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(17) amy lynn says:

I’m having one of the worst Fibro Fog Days ever so i’m not following this at all! And the comments – you guys must be very clear-headed today :)

I’m not Type A at all, never was. I am creative but can’t imagine any personality type has much to do with getting sick….?

March 19, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(18) Pauline says:

The information contained in this article as well as everyone’s comments are invaluable to me, and I don’t see anything of this nature as a waste of time or money. The research has to be done in order to come to the point where a cure can be found.

Putting it simply, I have a Type A personality, have fibromyalgia, multiple anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder and was a chronic drinker for many years of my life. I also have had many, many stressful periods in my life. I don’t and never have thought it was all coincidental.

March 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(19) Jeanne says:

Found this article to be very interesting. I am a very creative person, always having more than one project going at a time. When I was working, I definately was a type A personality always excelling at my work. Since not working, I have become more laid back but still have some Type A tendencies. I also have osteo arthritis everywhere and have had several surgeries as a result of that already. I am 63, still trying trying to enjoy life but Fibro and arthritis can make my days miserable.

March 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm
(20) Tammy Garrison says:

Well, my mother has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, I have fibro, my son & brother are ADD, and my son & my other brother both have asthma. And I would say we are all ICE type people. Would like to learn more about this. I bet with a little more probing, or it may already be known, that migraines are linked to this as well, which is my younger son.

March 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm
(21) MARIANNE says:

Just wanna say i have fibro, ptsd, anxiety been to numerous drs and supposedly some were specialists. no help once again, they never disagree with my diagnosis but say to lose weight, yes when i was 20 lbs lighter i did feel a little better but its not the only reason I have been dealing with these health problems along with others since early 2002.. Thanks for all the info and support,, I know we all a times feel alone in this struggle, nice to know its not all in my head

March 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm
(22) Erika says:

I can see the link, I am a Type A person

March 19, 2012 at 7:04 pm
(23) Alistair says:

Type A –

Time Urgency, High-Strung Competitiveness, Strong Achievement-Orientation, Over Achievers, people usually find themselves in stressful, demanding jobs, have the ability to alter thinking patterns to more positive ones when thy arise, like to win, will do what it takes to overcome obstacles’ so they can win ethically.
High achievers.

All our leaders of the branches of Defence Forces, Police Forces, Fire Brigades, Search and Rescue, Coast Guard, State Emergency Services, our Leaders and our Captains of Industry, Banking Finance , Politics, Academia and Sport are nearly always Type A personalities.
Does that mean they may allget Fibromialgia and mood disorders with the right epigenetic enviroment. I think not. Dont forget if
Dr Donald Schmechel and Dr C. Edwards really wanted a scientifically signifigant personality set to compair to they would have contrasted the 16 different Briggs-Myers Type Indicator (BMTI’s) or the Keirsey Temperament Sorter (KTS) o Jung’s typology theory and not the overly simplistic the Jacob Goldsmith theory of just A Type of B type personalities. This is Pop Culture Science from Pop Culture Psychiatrists who just want to grandstand.

March 19, 2012 at 9:04 pm
(24) Rachael says:

Perfectionism is a belief that perfection can and should be attained. Perfectionists tend to think continuously about what we did wrong and what we could do better. And it is very easy to become overwhelmed. I think many people who suffer from illnesses like fibromyalgia and ME/CFS have this personality trait and are also HSP’s (highly sensitive people) who tend to be people pleasers.

March 19, 2012 at 11:37 pm
(25) linda says:

I find this discussion interesting. I have fibro and MS and arthritis. I am creative, but although I am in a high-tech job, never considered myself to be Type-A. Both of my sisters are, however. I told them I left all that energy for them. I will be watching for more information on this.

March 20, 2012 at 1:18 am
(26) Cathy says:

I am certainly not type A, never have been anything but laid back and even-kiltered yet I have several of these ailments and more. To think Alzheimer’s could also be in my future is enough to make me want to slit my wrists. How’s THAT for being depressed or anxious?

March 20, 2012 at 5:16 am
(27) johnny says:

Im def a type a..i was in college, working 2 jobs, working out everyday and had numerous goals i was working hard to acheive…..then i got sick….9 years later here i am. Almost 30 with all my dreams and goals on hold.

March 20, 2012 at 9:14 am
(28) joy birdsey says:

As a former research psychologist. We have found that personality scales are not very reliable as they are self report and can vary day to day.
Having five people( related and unrelated) in our family with different neurological diseases, I do find this research dubious to say the least.

Further more for ME sufferers it is another step backwards, as for twenty three years now we have been trying to shake of the psychological. I also feel that you do a diservice to fiobro patients.

As I cannot see your whole research paper, and how you selected patients, or if you did a double blinded study I cannot comment on your selection process.

Money needs to be spent on finding a cure, not looking at personality traits.

March 20, 2012 at 9:27 am
(29) dana says:

Doctors only care about the liver when the ezymes are elevated. When they are, the fatigue is extreme. I could always tell when they were elevated to the shock of one doctor. Besides the A1AT polymorphism I also have 4 other liver enzyme polymorphisms. I don’t think that enough emphasis has been placed on the liver and how much it affects the entire body. This study is a step in the right direction.

March 20, 2012 at 10:41 am
(30) Rachael says:

I’ve never believed in this one-size-fits-all society that we live. I need ten vaccines to acquire immunity, therefore you must too; I can drink eight beers and not get a buzz, therefore you should be able to do so also; I can work all day and all night and never feel the need to take a break, therefore you should be able to do so as well.

If there is an underlying biology that makes some more sensitive to develop the “physical” illnesses ME/CFS and fibromyalgia I’m all for finding out what those differences are. If the genes load the gun in the susceptible, more sensitive individual and something in the environment pulls the trigger (toxin, viruses, vaccines etc) I’m all for finding out why? This way we may be able to prevent vulnerable people from becoming sick in the first place and find answers for those who are already ill.

March 20, 2012 at 10:52 am
(31) Fred says:

This is typical of the cr*p we have been subject to for decades instead of proper scientific research.

March 20, 2012 at 11:30 am
(32) gini says:

Re Suzischnauzer Not funny really ,———- but LOL, you must be my twin.

March 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(33) LG says:

I am vaguely creative & intuitive with good ideas that I may play about with, but I have not been a driven person, since I was a young kid first starting school & realised it was a complete waste of time :) I lived a very active life before I got sick, but I liked to enjoy myself & I wasn’t a worrier. I have FM arthritis Hashimoto’s psoriasis & am currently under investigation for another autoimmune disorder (MS?) but I also have a lot of issues with my immune system not functioning at all as well as turning on itself. I am severely prone to flus & things like glandular fever & get really sick for months from them. I also cannot develop immunity to diseases such as Rubella.

March 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm
(34) Pashta MaryMoon says:

Most of the people I know who have M.E./CFIDS are highly energetic, creative people. In fact, this personality type has been known with M.E./CFIDS for a long time (some 30 years) — workaholics, and especially those who are driven to be creative, work out problems, etc. Long before I was diagnosed with M.E., I spent a whole day in a hospital doing tests for overt long-term problems with short-term memory loss. The psychologist concluded that my brain is so constantly functioning that it doesn’t have time to track non-major items of data.

March 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm
(35) joanne says:

has anyone here looked into the hippocampus and adrenal glands?

March 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm
(36) Tink Bastian says:

I fully agree with Jody.

While its ‘fun’ and ‘interesting’ to know that you are a Type A or an ICE, you’ll have to understand that this ‘research and discoverings will NOT leads us to a cure or improvement of quality of live. ME is a biological illness and not. Psychological one.

This kind of research might be good to know for prevention issues, but this knowledge will not generate a cure for people who like myself are suffering for over 30+ years and approaching the 20 year anniversary for being severely il. I have known forever that I am a HSP(Highly Sensitive Person) and highly creative I am a Graphic designer and still are in desperate need to create. If I don’t I feel my spirit suffocate and dying. Through art is the only way I can express my emotions and grief. Knowing all this does not cause a cure, an improvement and neither are my physicians interested in this.

I fully agree with Jodi that Duke could have spend this money in research that would lead to positive improvements of our quality of life.

March 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm
(37) Michael says:

ICE ICE Baby! “intense creative energy” fits me to a T! I was diagnosed with Fibro in 2008 after being sick for five years. Tested positive for XMRV although I guess that ship sailed. Interstingly enough after the XMRV test I found a real ME/CFS Doctor. I tested positive for all the chronic sub infections, EBV, CMV and many more. My Th1 immune system is dormant and my TH2 system is going 10000 miles an hour. As a kid I had 65 allergies, chronic asthma and missed a half a year of school until I was in 9th grade. I have a sister with Chrohns and a sister with Lymphoma. My Brother died of a massive heart attack at 49. So I have got the genes! I was a type A personality who was an over achiever and very creative. I wrote a full length play. I am male and 59 and vey ill. Also I have a partial empty sella.

March 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm
(38) KAL says:

I think there is some confusion here. Type A personality and disease is a theory and Adrienne also stated that Type A personality and ICE are not the same thing. Blue eyes are found in both men and women meaning there is an overlap between genders, but it doesn’t make men and women the same gender.

As well, everyone gets disease regardless of their personality just like every person dies regardless of their personality – it’s part of being human.

Nor, as an actual psychologist can tell you, is this psychosocial theory here. This is a biomedical study. The authors from the Department of Medicine at Duke state, “AAT polymorphisms may define an important and treatable subset of persons presenting with CNS disorders.”

The research on these polymophisms started with liver disease – nothing psychosocial there.

So how did “creativity” come to be linked to these polymorphisms? The biomedical authors initially looked at a group of 1300 + people and did a retrospective analysis based on occupations as classified by the Bureau of Labor Standards and information gathered on artistic activities. What they found was that in persons with artistic avocation (n=189) or occupation (n=57), AAT non-M polymorphisms are significantly increased (respectively, proportions of 44 and 40% compared to background rate of 9%. The proportion of persons in “creative” professions in the United States is about 1.4%.

Being in an “artistic” occupation may or may not have anything to do with a personality trait however. That is a theory. All a theory is is a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something. Much more research would have to be done as association is not causation.

As for people dying from ME and CFS, I think what Jodi meant to say is that patients appear to be dying from associated diseases – the research is mixed. For example, no one dies of AIDS, they die from AIDS associated diseases. There is a difference.

March 23, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(39) Kay says:

Interesting and warrants further research by me…because I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory arthritis, inflammatory muscular disorder and attention deficit disorder … although I’ve never considered myself a Type A personality, perfectionism has been a curse for me, and intense is hardly strong enough word to describe me.

Thank you so much for posting this information. I’ve always thought there must be some connection among all these conditions.

Cure? I wish!

March 23, 2012 at 4:57 pm
(40) Tammy R. says:

I don’t know if I quite fit into the category of intense creative energy but I do know I have struggled my whole life with being a “People Pleaser”. I try to make sure everyone’s world is perfect which leaves mine a mess. With this particular disease, CFS, I am trying very hard to learn that I can’t fix everyone’s world and sometimes it’s okay for me to shrug off what everybody else wants. There are times when I need to put my needs first. For me that’s the first step to controlling my illness.

March 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm
(41) aidan walsh says:

Studies like this mentioned above only dampen efforts of finding true cause…That cause will most likely come forward before the end of this year 2012…

Science will prove beyond a doubt that the N.I.H. & C.D.C. knew this all along and we will see a link to Alpha Radiation and these governments are completely responsible for all of this tragedy…

The onlly downfall with this type of research it has nothing to do with any type personalities it has all to do with chromosone breakage and chromosone translocation and it is irreversible because the damage is done and not even God can change that…Sincerely Aidan Walsh…

p.s.The full truth will come from private funding not these corrupt useless criminal wrongdoing governments…

March 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm
(42) incatnito says:

(24) Rachel
“Highly sensitive people are extremely intuitive, making them very aware of what others are thinking and feeling. Their empathy enables them to be very understanding of someone’s situation, and perceptive to their needs. The very essence of their nature is to be helpful to the point of putting themselves second and running themselves ragged in order to make everything perfect and to please everyone. This is also a type of “over-achiever”.”

Rachel it’s as if I wrote your comment myself. That is “me” as well. This also lead to overachieving at work, always volunteering to work extra hours, sometimes even working 1-2 extra jobs on top of a full time position. I could and did, until I couldnt at all anymore… Then I became invisible and insignificant.

March 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm
(43) Mary Dawn says:

I have Fibro and CFS and “intense creative energy” certainly describes how I see myself. I do not think Type A fitsme quite right, although I have a lot of drivenness in my personality…I am highly creative and always had way more ideas than I know what to do with. It was fun but also a source of constant frustration…reality never lived up to what was in my head.
I would like to learn more about ICE and its relationship to these illnesses. For me, at least, it may explain a lot.

March 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm
(44) Rachael says:

Combine an ICE (“intense creative energy) with a Type A personality in terms of how an individual handles stress and you have the makings for an autoimmune illness.

Narrow Band Approach
Quick revise

States you have one of two types of personality

Type A :
*Impatient
*Intolerance
*High levels of stress

Type B:
*Relaxed
*Tolerant approach
*Lower personal stress

March 25, 2012 at 9:46 pm
(45) Randal says:

I have been tested and I do not have the alpha-1-anti trypsin SNP. I do have restless legs and ulcerative colitis along with type II Diabetes. I also have an allergy to milk and have genes for celiac disease!

March 28, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(46) Cindy says:

I don’t really know much about it, I have read a little. But I guess all I can say is which came 1st the chicken or the egg. The doctors always ask me if I’m depressed. Well yes, if you felt like I do every day, you’d be depressed as well. So do I have depression? I don’t remember being particularly depressed before my body went crazy. So can any of this be explained as being secondary to Fibromyalgia. I would say I am more type B, at least before FMS. Now I am defiantly more anxious, intolerant. I guess I’m a little achievement oriented, although God knows that has to go away with this illness. I try to not to stress my self out with a lot of goals.
I’m not a perfectionist, I’m to damn tired.

April 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm
(47) Brenda Elliott says:

Yes, My mother has suffered from non-hodgekins lymphoma, which she feels she acquired from toxins related to bug spraying at her place of employment. My sister has FM and has owned a tree, flower and strawberry farm where pestisides have been used and I had CO2 poisoning from a propane space heater. I believe these are related and we also are high achievers.

April 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm
(48) Brenda Elliott says:

And I also have had CFS/ME and Fibro for eight years.

April 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm
(49) Nan says:

The “ICE” part seems to describe the nature of the gene mutation, not anything about an individual’s personality. It has also been studied in pigeons.

April 12, 2012 at 10:00 pm
(50) Nan says:

There isn’t a nice way to say it. This scientific study had nothing to do with personality types. This article’s interpretation of the results is misinformation.

December 6, 2012 at 10:08 pm
(51) Kylie says:

If you don’t know what Intense Creative Energy (ICE) is, trust me, you don’t have it.

May 12, 2013 at 1:17 am
(52) michael kors crossbody says:

The writer of the show, Ray McKinnon, was somewhat familiar with my case. His late wife, Lisa Blount was a friend of mine. She and I exchanged letters while I was on death row in Arkansas, and she even sang at a concert in Arkansas, along with Eddie Vedder, Patti Smith, and Johnny Depp, to help raise awareness about my plight.I heard that McKinnon also did research into the cases of other men who had been on death row and had been released or exonerated. It paid off. I can tell you from first hand experience that Rectify is a very realistic show.

August 21, 2013 at 4:26 pm
(53) anita says:

I was super creative and a perfectionist before I developed fibro in 2011. Now Im just a non creative slob. My body unfortunately doesnt allow me to go over and above the basic daily chores and even then, I forget stuff, put stuff on hold and have to remind myself to breath when the pain gets too bad.
If I knew a few years back, what I know about myself today, I would have irritated myself. Good thing that we dont know our own futures. Never knew life could have this much non stop physical pain in it.

September 27, 2013 at 7:44 am
(54) Pam says:

I am a perfectionist, therefore seldom finishing things, and they never seem to be good enough. Not going into everything but I can see how this is related. You may not have everything the article says, but I see myself and my kids whe displayed different ones, but my daughter most of them

October 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm
(55) Emile says:

For example, if you want to take a stroll during a game, the gamer lightly
holds down the ”. Microsoft officially launched the seventh
generation console war with its XBox sequel, the XBox 360, in 2005.
Both consoles have different extras but users are able to download things like extras for the games they already have,
such as new stadiums or weapons, exclusive levels and demos of games that are yet to be released, while those with an Xbox can use the Xbox Live system to
download music and games.

November 27, 2013 at 5:37 pm
(56) Visit Website says:

Hi-ya, excellent web site you’ve going here.

December 2, 2013 at 10:20 am
(57) Arturo says:

I needed to thank you for this great read!! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it.
I have got you saved as a favorite to check out new things you post_

January 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm
(58) rachel says:

This is a very interesting discussion, but I wonder if the underlying cause of all of this the auto immune stuff the over achieving type A is really linked to an underlying anxiety disorder. Stress and anxiety releases cortisol which can wreck havoc in the body. People who are highly driven may be so because they are being fueled by nervious energy. Anxiety and stress has also been linked to allergies asthma etc. There I would asume that if stress and anxiety were addressed many of these issues could be resolved.