1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Working Memory Problems in Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By February 20, 2012

Do you walk into a room only to forget why you're there? Do you forget what's on your grocery list as soon as you look away from it, or have trouble following step-by-step instructions?

Those are all symptoms of a working memory impairment, which is a common part of the cognitive dysfunction (brain fog or fibro fog) caused by fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Working memory impairment can disrupt daily life, cause problems on the job, and be incredibly frustrating. For me, it was a chief reason I had to leave my old job. It's also This is generally the symptom that makes us wonder if we're heading toward some kind of dementia. (Which, fortunately, we're not!)

Learn more:

Do you have working memory problems? What has this symptom done to your life? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Tom Fullum/Getty Images

Comments
February 20, 2012 at 6:46 am
(1) jo says:

I forget things all the time.when i think of something and go to find it i forget wat it was im terrible for it .its so frustating i get cross with myself xx

February 20, 2012 at 10:49 am
(2) rlinstrot says:

My memory used to be one that most people were in awe of. My long term memory is still ok although trying to vocalize what I remember is often tough. If I can get the first key words out I can usually get the rest out.

My short term memory is worse than Swiss cheese. There are so many holes in it. I had to comment on this article when I read about reading an item off a list and forgetting it as soon as you look away. This is one of the main reasons I knew my working life was coming to a close. I have worked as an accountant most of my adult life and as a Sales Tax Accountant for the past 10 years. Needless to say you need a good memory when you are working with numbers.

Between the memory problems, the chronic pain, and a myriad of other health problems I had to stop working. I was fortunate because SocialSecurity approved my disability just 10 months after I applied.

February 20, 2012 at 10:55 am
(3) sharon says:

I just wanted to comment on your question, but by the time I filled out my name and email–I forgot what the actual question was and had to go back and look!

Yes, I have brain fog. I can’t remember cute stories about grandkids that just happened, what word I’m trying to say, dates and on and on.
I use to work in a lab and there is no way I could do that anymore.

I’m worse when tired or in pain. But I have been playing Lumosity regularly on the computer and am in the 80% for my age group so I think I’m doing okay. But my dad had vascular dementia so that is
always a worry. I guess I can remember the things I would just as soon forget.

February 20, 2012 at 11:04 am
(4) T. says:

This is frustrating and embarrassing. I stall in conversation. It can be very important and I will just stall. Usually it comes back in a few minutes, but sometimes not until way later. Its embarrassing. People don’t understand how you can forget something important. The old saying, it must not have been important, does not apply. Also, if someone is long on details I may forget most all by the time they arrive at point. : (

February 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm
(5) AJ says:

I forget words all the time. It makes conversation halting and awkward on most days. Fortunately, most of my work is done on a computer so I have time to type out what I need to say without all the awkward stops and starts in normal conversation.

My memory used to be a lot worse. I would forget how to do something halfway through doing it. I would second guess myself all the time and end up screwing things up because I suddenly worried that I was doing it wrong. I had a really hard time following a conversation because I couldn’t stay focused on it. Getting on Lyrica helped with that tremendously.

I also attribute some of my new-found memory with learning how to knit. Having to work through a complicated lace pattern in order to make something beautiful really motivated me. Retaining pattern repeats in my head was near impossible at first, but as I did more of them they got easier to remember. I can’t help but notice that it is getting easier to remember other things in life as well!

February 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm
(6) Laura says:

A recent example, today: Drove to the wrong bank, then realized this so headed back to the corrent one. Walked up to go into the door & remembered only because of the sign-Closed for holiday. Then I thought, ‘which holiday is it’? Duh-it’s Presidents Day, that’s why my kids are home today. I just cannot concentrate sometime, well daily to be truthful.

I often times have directional impairment while driving in a city I have beenliving in all my life. I will forget things that ARE ON my grocery list-ugh! I dial phone #’s wrong at work & I once asked for med. records on a patient & didn’t put their name on it-duh! I had no idea until I got it faxed baxk saying “Who is this for?” Embarrassing to say the least.
I also get overwhelmed easily and I can’t organize things or plan well AT ALL. I hate it. Feel I’m on a small boat in a sea of confusion. And yes, I have asked my docs if I’m headed for Alzheimer’s. I am (was) type A & had things in order. The new me is so hard to accept but imnpossible to change. Thanks Fibro. and possibly CFS-I’ll find out this part in March. I totally understand what you all are feeling like here. hugs.

February 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm
(7) MissyD says:

what was hte question?

February 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm
(8) Sandra Wolfe says:

It had not been that bad but lately it has been a major concern for me. Last week I was in trial and forgot a word right in the middle of cross examining the States witness. Then just today I was representing a clinent during a plea and forgot a word three different times. So not good. Very concerned about how much longer I will be able to work. I wanted at least ten more years of work.

February 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm
(9) Alivia Hand says:

This is one of my most frustrating symptoms, not only do I forget things but I have problems trying to remember the words I need to vocalize what I do remember. Its like I know the words I need to use and I know that I know them but I can’t pull them out of my brain. This has brought me to tears on occasion when I’m extremely frustrated. I also sometimes have trouble remembering what was just said to me or what just happened. I can recall one time when I asked my partner 4 different times if my daughter was home from school yet because not only did I not remember that she came in and talked to me but I couldn’t remember being told that that was indeed what happened.

February 20, 2012 at 7:33 pm
(10) Rachel says:

I had to quit working last year because I started to have memory problems and has been getting worse, went to my neurologist and he did an MRI and I went and did all day tests with a neuro psychologist and went back today for results and I have lesions on my brain from my Lupus and my short term memory function has gotten worse since I did the tests in 2008…It was a crappy day all around

February 20, 2012 at 7:41 pm
(11) Melody says:

My short term memory is shot. Was driving over to pick up a friend who was visiting from out of town. I called to confirm the address which I knew was a block away from where I was calling. She gave me the address. I know the area very well. But by the time I hung up 5 seconds later, I couldn’t remember the house number she had just told me so I had to call her back. I was so embarassed. Another time I was driving and needed to make a left turn. The problem was that I couldn’t remember which lever to use for a turn signal. I ended up picking the wrong lever and used the gear shift as a turn signal lever. Ended up putting the car in neutral. I began to panic. Put the car back in drive and just had to make the turn without a signal (and there were cars coming up behind me). I cried about that one for days. At work I an forever using my calculator buttons while I’m on the phone (thinking that I’m using the phone buttons). I even forget my own phone number and address at times. Very frustrating.

February 20, 2012 at 7:49 pm
(12) Charlayne says:

I have horrible memory problems. I keep a notebook, a smart phone, and notes in my Nook Tablet to keep me going. If it’s not there, it’s not official. When my husband and I are talking, he’s seen me struggle and he’s gotten to the point he will finish sentences because he knows what I’m trying to say. I forget words all the time and that makes me crazy. I’ve told my husband to make sure to put the toaster in the fridge, meaning to put the roast in the fridge.

I used to do speeches all the time, off the cuff! I am a writer and I have to be careful and read everything many times to make sure my continuity and flow are right. I keep notes on everything and I have several people reading to give me opinions to keep things going. I used to work as a technical writer but had to give it up. I have five more classes to finish my bachelor’s degree, I’m not sure that I can finish them, the foreign language requirement is almost too much, I’ve failed 4 times now.

My grandchildren have learned to take my memory losses in stride and my little right-hand, the 10 year old grand daughter is helpful in keeping my stuff together. She will help me remember words, she reads stuff for me, and she even helps me up from the chair when I need it. All 9 of the grandkids are learning that grandma has a brain with “holes in it” so that I sometimes forget stuff.

I hate Fibro, I really do. But I do what I can with what I have. I refuse to lay down and die and give up. I have so many friends, family, and kids to live for. And my beloved husband, oh, the darling man of my life, Fibro has taken so many of our dreams but I refuse to let it take me away from you.

February 20, 2012 at 7:51 pm
(13) mrs carla barrow says:

I had to leave a comment as I find it soooo frustrating. I can be in the middle of a sentence and forget a word I need or a name, people look at you like you must be stupid it could be a simple word like `bread`. I also do things without realising it. Its a bit like being on auto pilot only worse. So far I have found a packet of sanitary towels in the fridge and another time I found my make up wipes in there. I can put the kitchen tap on walk away and forget about it till I go back in. The other evening I was cooking 3 fried eggs at same time and had to stop my son from talking to me as I couldn’t focus on what I had to do!!!! I mean for goodness sake I used to be able to do that and more at the same time at one point.it really is bonkers how bad the fog can get.

February 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm
(14) mary says:

i find it extremly hard at work and at home . it disrupts my hole life and frankly im sick of it but have no choice i dont no what to do about it

February 20, 2012 at 8:04 pm
(15) Jane Boice says:

After reading this article and seeing the other comments, I am not so alone with this. For many years now, I have always wondered why I was hurting so bad and so sore. I had contributed it to my bad back and even Chiropractic services did not relieve my pain. Was then diagnosed with having CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) so that did make some light as to what was happening to me. Years later, and I am going to be turning 55 this year, never imagined that I might (and do believe that I do) have Fibromyalgia. Everything that I have read up on and researched on has confirmed my short term memory loss, the pains and aches all over my body, not being able to verbalize my words sometimes, all of what everyone on here has commented is ME to the T. I am going to a new doctor this coming week, so hopefully, Lord willing she can help me. I too don’t have a clue as to how much longer I will be able to work due to the memory loss and other health problems. Thank God for this article and to enlighten me and letting me know that I am not alone.

February 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm
(16) Dawn says:

The memory loss is more disabling for me than the pain and other co-existing conditions. I forget things so I write them down, when I remember to write them down. Even if I write them down, there’s no guarantee I’ll remember to read what I wrote. Even if I read what I wrote, I often forget it again anyways. If by some miracle I remember what I wrote, I find I’ve written down the wrong day, time or other important instructions. If it’s an appointment, I panic because I often get lost on the way…even if I’ve been there many times. It’s just a vicious cycle. But the good news?? I ALWAYS remember that I have a terrible memory! ;-)

February 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm
(17) Wanda says:

I had worked in a high-paced academic environment for a very long time. As the pain worsened, I was unable to sleep and was constantly in a terrible state in the morning. With the fatigue, came the fibro-fog. I would be working as diligently as I could, but my memory recall was so slow; distractions became overwhelming and I found that I was functioning at the low end of the scale rather than the top percentage as before. I could not recall meeting details; could not find important reports; could not remember specific details that I had mastered for years. So, I took early retirement and filed for disability because I was no longer able to do the only work I had ever done and was mentally not sharp enough to handle the details. It has been tough but rewarding to be out from under the pressure to preform.

February 21, 2012 at 2:28 am
(18) Lisa Sparks says:

The thing that bothers me the most is that I forget words all the time. It seems the word I am looking for is always on the tip of my tongue. I feel like such an idiot because my brain is completely blank and I can’t even explain the word I am looking for.

February 21, 2012 at 8:19 am
(19) Sandra Davis says:

I work and I answer the phone (just one of my duties). By the time I put it on hold to announce who the phone call is for, I have already forgotten who it’s for. That is not the only time I do that, but I feel like I am in a fog all the time. Miserable and embarressing !!

February 21, 2012 at 9:45 am
(20) Olive says:

This a frightening and devastating discovery, of accelerated brain gray matter loss in Fibromyalgia, especially when coupled with the symptoms most fibromyalgia fighters describe as brain fog – not being able to concentrate, not taking information in, poor decision making etc. This report, published in The Journal of Neuroscience, April 11, 2007, showed there was decrease in gray matter in fibromyalgia sufferers, relating to how long they’d had the disease, much faster than in the normal population. “The patients, who ranged from 27 to 61 years of age, demonstrated a yearly decrease in gray matter volume more than three times that of age-matched controls.”
The research carried out at Universities in both Canada and the UK prove there is Central Nervous System involvement in fibromyalgia.
The question is are these changes in the brain the cause of fibromyalgia or as a consequence of it? The good news is these findings may mean new approaches in treatment such as protecting the brain and could possibly mean symptoms may be able to be reversed.

Does anyone know of any studies that builds on this?

To find out more about the research quoted here please contact M. Catherine Bushnell, McGill Centre for Research on Pain, 3640 University Street, Room M19, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B2. Email: Catherine.bushnell@mcgill.​ca

This has been my major problem (besides the pain) for the last few years to the point I couldnt work and have problems doing my own bills!!! I am 44. It is very scary. I hate it. I also drop things alot!!!! I was always smart. I have now been on disabilty for 2 years
Robbye

February 21, 2012 at 10:20 am
(21) Cathy says:

I have definitely worried that I was headed for dementia or something. Let’s be glad that we are not alone in this, we have each other, and we’re not actually losing our minds!
I too was a type A, #1 in my class, scholarships, most likely to succeed, etc. The Universe has other plans for me, I guess/hope. It’s pretty humbling. Now I’ve been cutting work hours the past year, and trying to find work in the same field that’s less physically and mentally taxing. I’m still hopeful that I can learn from this, and continue to find new ways to be useful to society, family, and friends–I’m only 32 so there’s plenty of life left to live.

February 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm
(22) Amy says:

I miss being able to rely on my memory. All of the tools I use help, but don’t fully substitute for knowing. Stress does make it worse, and so does driving for some reason. Knitting does make it better. Some days the extra effort is exhausting. I am still working, and hope to for years to come. I have some accomidations and am searching for more that will extend my working life. Suggestions welcome.

February 21, 2012 at 2:54 pm
(23) Nina says:

Nouns. I have found that they are sometimes impossible to remember. Verbs, adjectives, pronouns, adverbs, etc. all come to mind when I need them, but the most necessary part of the sentence, the nouns, are so elusive.
I have been told that this might indicate a problem with Brocca’s brain. Right. Something else to send me to Google. . .
My New York Times Sunday Crossword puzzle book gathers dust. Writing is a real challenge. Scrabble is sometimes a pleasure and sometimes — well, let’s forget about that . . . The major pleasures of my life have been eroded.
After 23 years I usually don’t get frustrated any more, just heave a deep sigh and wait for someone else to figure out what noun I need.
I see I have a lot of company.

February 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm
(24) Erika Weston says:

Thank goodness others are having the same problems as I am. I work in a school and it can be embarrassing not remembering how to do something when another day I could do it without thinking! [maths faculty]. I was worrying that I would not be able to cope in maths [new area as all on one level and in same corridor] but I am enjoying it – except on my foggy days. I do mean days, as its not always a problem. Today was a brilliant day for me as I was given a selection of admin tasks and no fog! I could and did remember them all and would have completed them by multitasking if I had not pulled/strained a muscle whilst getting off a computer chair to go and do something else! Owww!

I also hate having my sentences finished for me, but do not mind the odd word help. I have found that if I go around and try and find an alternative, the word I was looking for comes out anyway! I think if I disengage my brain my mouth takes care of itself!!! However I do have to listen to what I say and try and put the brakes on as a foggy day can also mean I speak out of turn and say things that could back fire!

I really hate using the wrong word and someone picking me up on it. I know what I am trying to say and so do they so why do they [my husband mostly] have to embarrass me?

Foggy days? Slow down and give yourself a chance.

February 21, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(25) Joy says:

In one sense it’s a relief to read all these comments. In another sense, it’s not. I’m glad to know I’m not alone, but its also frightening to me. As a former legal professional the inability to be sharp and organized is at the very least, disconcerting to me. I am having an overwhelmed type day. I just feel like there is too much for me to keep up with. (I.e, more than 2 things on my to-do list). I don’t think anyone who has not experienced it can understand how frightening it is to suddenly don’t be able to remember something. Did I do that? HOW did I do that? I’ve walked through the house today and seen multiple things I started to day (make the bed, fold the laundry, etc etc,) but never finished any of them. I don’t even know what interrupted me. This is not cool!

February 22, 2012 at 12:20 am
(26) Sara says:

I’m an East Asian Language and Culture Studies major minoring in Linguistics, so I have a bit of background in the Working Memory concept. I notice definite impairment in mine as I have to work very hard to retain short-term memories but have noticed no problems with working memory. As far as aphasia-like symptoms go, mine are more pronounced when trying to communicate in my foreign language of study (which I had studied 4yrs prior to developing post-mono CFS six years ago) however, I have similar difficulties with English when my symptoms are very pronounced. I notice impairment in both my verbal and written communication. Written is nicer because, if given a long enough period of time, I can more easily disguise the CFS-effect and produce something on par with my pre-CFS ability. It takes me much longer than it used to but, I can still do it. Thanks for your article! :)

February 22, 2012 at 12:36 am
(27) Sara says:

A correction to my earlier comment:

* I have noticed no problems with long-term memory…

Not working memory, sorry. :P

February 22, 2012 at 8:00 am
(28) M says:

I have been a FMS patient for over 4 years. Life was once very good to me. But this disorder has taken everything from away from me. I once had a photographic memory and now I can’t even remember numbers and simple things. Grocery shopping becomes a nightmare if I don’t have a list.

The worst now is while driving I can’t remember where I am going and for what reason. At a red light at times I just stand there thinking why I stopped and what should I do.

February 23, 2012 at 7:53 pm
(29) Debbie says:

I’m going to have to do some research on the “working memory” concept, but I think I get it enough to add my comment. I was diagnosed with CFS/FM 20 years ago–when they were still trying to come up with a name for it. We still don’t have a name for it that anyone understands; and, ironically, it’s too much of a mouthful for those of us who have a hard time getting our words out right anyway! Things have really gone downhill for me over the last 18 months or so, and everything is a struggle–the pain, the memory issues that take so many forms, the lack of social life because all my energy goes into being functional at work. No one knows how often I cry on the way home from work due to the frustration.

Back to the point…While working on my PC at work recently, I was making small talk with the two IT guys. One of them said something about his son having recently purchased a Hundai, and I said, Oh, I have a Hundai and like it more than I thought I would…completely forgetting about my car accident 8 months ago in which that car was totalled. In fact, I didn’t even realize I had misspoken until I left work that day and headed to my old car I have been driving since the accident.

Thank you all for sharing. It does help in a way, but I agree that it’s scary. I am on the second day of a 3-month leave my new doctor recommended. It’s already giving me some perspective on how I need to deal with this at this point. Sounds like many of us need to learn how not to be so hard on ourselves.

February 24, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(30) COLLEEN says:

Brain fog has been the worst side effect of my chronic fatique and fibro. But it has also been a good thing. I will start a cleaning project at home, I may leave the room and come back and have forgotten what it was I was doing, so I start another. I will remember what my original project was, go back to it but now I have done a couple of other things I had not planned to do. So in a way, I am doing much more then I used to without brain fog…lol.

But I do hate it, worst for me is trying to get out sentences when I am talking. I can see the words in my head but have a problem getting out of my mouth. Since I am with the public in the health care industry, this can be humbling at times, but after I explain that I have cf and fibro, most people understand.

I have sticky notes and messages to myself all over my house, but I just tell people that I am practicing for when dementia sets in. Thank goodness for a great family and friend support team I have going.

February 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm
(31) Kathy H says:

Hi friends. I pretty much have all the symptoms you have described in your comments. I had some psychoneural testing done as I am trying to get disability. It revealed some ADD type symptoms ( the forgetting and not being able to concentrate on one thing.) So.. along with CFS, they gave me 5 mg of Ritalin twice a day. Each tab lasts about 4 hours so this does not aFFECT MY SLEEP! I have much more energy, am more clearer in my thinking. I do still find tasks left undone – but less than before the Ritalin. Also, my family physician suggested AlphaStim that gives alpha waves to your brain letting it rest, like meditation…. and I am no longer on sleep aids!!! after being on Lunesta and then Ambien for about 10 years. I too have became unable to work – unable to keep up with the workload. Thank you for this oportunity to share.

February 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm
(32) deb says:

I have just been reading all the comments and feeling so sad for all these poor people that are suffering with these problems —- then I realized, hey, I have the same thing;) That is the nature of the beast I guess. We all do the identical same things…it is scary to think that maybe our brains are deteriorating and science has not caught up with what is actually going on. My husband and I try to use humor and that does help. He just calls me Dorie from Nemo and when we watch 50 First Dates, that girl is me. He just hasn’t made me a movie to watch every morning. He will let me get half way through a movie and say – you remember any of this does it look familiar? Of course, it’s all a new movie to me, even if we had watched it the week before. I was a realtor, a banker and a mortgage broker – but primarily a broker for over 30 years – this stole my life as I knew it and I hate the disease and what it does to all of us that have worked so hard our whole lives and been productive and on track. It’s a nasty nasty curse, but I always think, well, it could be worse…I guess that’s how I get through. Hugs to all you fellow people with this. We are in this together.

February 24, 2012 at 5:31 pm
(33) Janet Minchin Minchin Hanna says:

Hi – my resume says i’m an articulate communicator and top flight facilitator and trainer – amd i still am if i make sure i’m well rested.
But i do say and think some very funny things and i make sure i laugh at myself. When tired i lose nouns and names, i direct people to wrong or illogical places to find things, i miss-read things (either internally spoonerising or simply replacing words – the other day at the office i walked past the ‘Hazards Register’ – i read ‘Wizards Register’ and had to turn back to make sure i’d seen correctly.
I also become momentarily lost – esp when driving. Even on my normal route home i can sometimes wonder where i’m going and if i’ve made correct turns.
But my best story to date happened last week at the supermarket: i walked past some shelves with chocolate eggs and bunnies on it and thought “gee they’ve put out more leftover easter stuff , they must have got too much in”. It was days later that i realised that easter hasn’t even come yet.
Oh my – looking forward to the mix of fibro and ageing – should be a hoot.

February 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm
(34) Dotty says:

I liken it to going to the filing cabinet to get a file and the file is gone. My therapist says the file is not gone just misplaced. Wherever it is I can’t get it. And I too was the one who remembered all the extended family and friends birthdays and anniversaries, telephone numbers, addresses and any other special event in our family. Now I do good to remember my 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren s birthday’s.
Thankfully I have received my disability from Social Security.

February 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm
(35) Dotty says:

Thankfully I have received my disability from Social Security.

February 24, 2012 at 6:49 pm
(36) Barb says:

Does anyone know if this gets progressively worse over time? Mine has and I often think I am losing my mind. Is there any supplement/medication that will help? Thank you.

February 24, 2012 at 6:58 pm
(37) Jill G says:

There must be some tricks to help us keep what we can or maybe build up some other part of the gray matter. Knitting ( what about crocheting?) ; What about alternate arm and leg movements – do they help? What about multiple ways of learning – auditory, visual, saying it to myself, doing it to alpha wave sounds… how about putting colored cards up for things we want to remember.

I know it seems like more dumb stuff to do, but I don’t want to give up yet.

There are so many brain cells, so many connections maybe make new connections, maybe stimulate areas of the gray matter that are dormant.

I get it that I will lose more gray matter than other people – Things that were easy for me to do – I was a clerical worker – now have problems taking care of my own. As well as taking care of myself. The SHINE protocol is helping. Drinking enough water. I set a timer so I will drink some hourly. Just started today – hope it works

Yeah, Scrabble is gone for me too. Nouns gone quite a bit. I mostly stay at home with my cats and do stuff online – some volunteer data entry stuff that I do better the more I do of it. I try to learn something new, of course recalling it is tricky.

February 24, 2012 at 7:32 pm
(38) Gina L. says:

I stall in conversation all the time. Sometimes I even say sentences and words backwards. It is embarrassing and frustrating. I had to quit working as a substitute teacher, because I would forget what Iwas teaching in the middle of a lesson. Pain and fatigue is a huge factor with me too.

February 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm
(39) Aliaus says:

TYROSINE IS MY BEST SUPPORT although it does not fix things, I went from never knowing the day of the week to maybe knowing it four or five days a week. I do laugh at myself constantly and have learnt with the help of a great psychologist not to worry and stress, we all know this causes pain. I can let go of my memory issues and if I forget something, then I do. When I get lost going to places or drive past for miles then I get to see more of the countryside lol. I am often late though. Sometimes on the wrong days etc. Everyone healthy says just write it down… I dont always remember to, if its on a piece of paper I lose it, or look at it and cant remember what it means etc. Please try tyrosine, I take 1500mg daily, I wanted to show my psychologist how much it helped my memory and an additional bonus was some improved energy. So I drew a chart showing my memory and energy prior to fibro, then with fibro, then with tyrosine. From me not knowing the day or date she was amazed, and of course, six weeks earlier I would not have had the ability to make that chart. I left it a while before committing myself to saying something had improved. I tried smaller doses but found 1500mg to be just enough. If I forget the midday one I can tell by the next day, I seem more scattered and realize I had forgotten a dose the day before. I do a lot of research and am just about to try Taurine and Maca as they both can have significant effects on the brain. I am on cymbalta 60mg per day but plan on trying alternatives later this year. Dont give up, laugh and keep trying to make it better even when your doctor thinks you are nuts. He doesnt understand. Positive energy also works wonders on our temperamental and sensitive body. It makes sense that if you are down and your body produces chemicals accordingly, we react to it. Make the most of everything you have and laugh lots! hugs to all! Ali xx

February 25, 2012 at 12:36 am
(40) Connie says:

I too am embarassed by this affliction! I was ironing a pair of pants. I ironed the front and back of one leg so I went to the other side of the room to get the other leg to iron! I was so shocked at myself when I realized what I had done. It is somewhat funny now, but I was so upset at the time! I teach kindergarten so I can get away with some of the forgetfulness. The kids help me remember some things! I am trying to decide if this will have to be my last year to teach. I think I will miss it, but will I remember it to miss it? I need to know how to file for disability because I am not able to retire yet.

February 25, 2012 at 4:26 am
(41) Jazzy B says:

I forgot to push my wife down the steps today. Lucky for that stupid whore. Hopefully tomorrow I won’t have brain fog & she’ll end up with a broken neck.

February 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm
(42) Lori says:

Yes, I have this fibro fog, as I call it. Brain fog, or whatever else it’s called. I used to have the best memory ever. Now my only memory that is great is my long term one. I have a lot of problems with things that were so easy. It’s embarrassing, and it’s annoying to me. I walk into a room and don’t remember why. For some dumb reason, I constantly open the wrong cupboard for a bowl and this is several years now. I forget what I was saying to a person or I can’t remember a word that I want to use to express someone. I despise it so much. I forget to do things that I just wrote down to do. Ad all that pain on top of it.. not fun,

February 28, 2012 at 9:58 am
(43) Sue says:

I’ve made some mistakes at work due to fibro fog, the latest certainly had to annoy the person I work for as the job I forgot to do reflects on her. I can’t believe I didn’t complete the job, but I had to have been distracted by somthing else. I try to explain why, and I just hate it. She knows the problems I have, but I think this is the worst part of FM. The pain, the lack of sleep I’ve grown to accept. But these damn mistakes because I can’t remember really bother me. I figure I’ll be able to work another year before things get so bad that I’ll have to go on disability.

February 28, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(44) Rebecca says:

Six months ago I quite a job in accounting (which admittedly probably wasn’t my calling in the first place.) I wouldn’t admit that I needed to quit because of my health -namely overwhelming fatigue. Since then, I’ve been realizing how many of my problems at work were due to issues with memory and concentration brought on by my health problems. At least it’s nice to know that I’m not incompetent, as my former employer seemed to think.

February 29, 2012 at 2:13 am
(45) sandi says:

As I read the comments I began to cry. I have been dealing with the “brain fog” for some time. I have been getting scared as it has gotten so bad. It is definitely affecting my work and my daily life. I even talked with my husband about it earlier this evening. I had an embarrassing experience with it at work today. I not only forget simple words, but wrong words come out of my mouth, I get confused easily and become frustrated.
I have had Fibromyalgia for over 10 years and continue to get multiple autoimmune diseases. I used to be smart and so together. I am a teacher and just doing lesson plans is a major task anymore. I am happy to see I am not alone. I just don’t know how to get the Drs. to see this.

March 3, 2012 at 7:02 am
(46) Maria Sobolewski says:

Nice to see my I’m not alone in my “idiot” can’t get the right words out, in the right order, fast enough days! I too had to give up a job tertiary teaching because of the same problems being mentioned recurrently.

But this may help. Dibencozide, the bioavailable form of B12 @ 10mg sublingual tablet is very helpful. I take 2-3 twice or three times a day. Just swallowing them is no good. They must be allowed to dissolve in the mouth. Makes for more focus and clarity, as well as giving energy and motivation and lifting mood.

(Don’t bother with B12 blood tests – they are nonsense for reasons too involved to get into here. There is no upper limit set for B12 since it is not toxic. However, do not use the cyanocobalamin form – it is cheap and nasty and not readily used by the body.)

This is on top of sublingual DHEA and pregnenolone, without which I can barely walk or speak, let alone drive, etc. Some days also top up with tyrosine, carnitine and glutamic acid. Since taking the large dose Dibencozide, though, need much less of the others. Hope this helps.

March 3, 2012 at 6:26 pm
(47) Vee says:

I am a child care worker, and I am having the worst time with my weekly plans.I plan but don’t follow through. I write myself notes, notes and more notes, then forget them. I”m talking, but then I just stop in mid sentence. Very often I forget what the subject was. Bless Us All

March 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm
(48) michiganmiss says:

How comforting to know I am not alone with my memory ( or lack of ). Every 2-3 days, it is like being taught all over again. I was helping my husband in the yard, and he’d ask me to get the so and so. I’d give him a blank look.@%#@#. “The What” I’d reply? You know – we worked with this tool the other day………I showed you where we keep it… and I showed you how to turn it on…

Once I searched all over looking for it, took it to him, I totally forgot which button was which, how to turn it on,…( weed wacker )…I even forgot the proper way he showed me how to hold it.

This happens when I am cooking…every day. His famous words now are, “Sweetie, remember, we went over this just 2 days ago…” I told him lucky for you I don’t remember all that well…so when we have a disagreement, argument, etc. ….I don’t remember the next day, let alone 2 days later. It is almost like Groundhogs day, I just hope I don’t get any worse. Yes I have tried writing stuff down, I also records snippets into my cell phone, but I never remember to listen to them…and I have got so many notes, lists, scraps of paper of stuff I wrote down that I don’t have the mental focus to sit down and deal with all of them, sometimes I just throw them all away and start over.
……I used to also have a great memory, and now, at 50, it almost seems like that life is over and another is about to begin. SSS

March 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm
(49) worriedallthetime says:

I have been worried for months. I have pain all the time. Sore underarms, I feel like I am flushed on my face neck and chest but it is not red. My right arm pit looks fatter than the left. I went to the doctor and she said it wasn’t swollen.. I am almost 34. Does anyone have problems like this?

March 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm
(50) Wanda says:

I have been reading your comments and can relate. I have Fibromyalgia and haven’t been able to work in a little over two years, still waiting on disability. That just makes it worse because I worry about paying bills and that causes added stress.

When I was working, I couldn’t remember driving to work, I am afraid to go places because I am afraid I won’t make it back home.

People don’t believe you have anything wrong because “you look so good”. LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING!!!!!!!

I would not wish this much pain and comfussion on anyone.

May 18, 2012 at 10:39 am
(51) Kathy says:

The memory loss & confusion are horrible for me! I can never remember what I walk in a room for. The worst thing is when I’m driving & suddenly have no clue where I am or where I’m going. I put absolutely everything in my phone calender -with an alarm reminder- that I need to do. If I don’t, I don’t remember to do it, no matter how important! I have actually forgotten to pick my grandson up at school (one hour after I was reminded) until my son called, saying the school called him when I didn’t show up!! It’s horrible, embarrassing & so very scary. I am still waiting for my Disability hearing. I filed 11 months ago. With the extra medical issues I have, working is not an option. Not that I would remember to go or how to get there! It is like having Dementia at a younger age!! HELP!!!

August 3, 2012 at 7:00 am
(52) Joolz says:

Went to the shop and put bank card in machine to get some cash . Took card and did shopping only to realise that I had left cash at the machine . !
Obviously by the time I got back to machine the money had gone . Really angry with myself .. isn’t the first time I have done it either . Some people are really benefiting from me having Fibromyalgia .
I don’t get any benefits at all though .. not even DLA . Tried and been told I am not bad enough !!!!!!!!

August 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm
(53) angel05 says:

I can’t remember anything. I have literally forgot my whole entire life. I don’t remember anything from growing up. My mind is a complete blank. My whole life is a blank. It is sad cause people always talk about their childhood and whay they did as a child, i can’t say anything cause i don’t even know. I can’t even remember what i did a week ago.

I can put something down and turn around and walk away. When i return 5 minutes later i have no idea where i put that item. I have to constantly put up reminders of have people remind me of things or make notes all the time.

I have trouble studying cause i can never remember. My mind is constantly a complete blank. One good thing is i can remember faces but are horrible with names.

Can’t understand what the problem is?

September 6, 2012 at 2:20 am
(54) Bobby says:

I don’t know if you read this or not but I have horrible memory. I going to talk to my psychologist about. Every time I have a conversation with a friend or family member I forget most of everything they said, if someone shows me how to do a task if I don’t write it down I start to forget what they soon after they say it. I’m 18 I. Shouldn’t be having these problems maybe when I’m older but not know.

November 4, 2012 at 11:18 pm
(55) Jennifer Caballero says:

Im 32 yrs i was hit by a drunk dream with through sooo much but during time they found cervical cancer cells.As much therepy and pain i wanted out of hospital they wanted me to go to a place thats works on people like the way i was,i said no i wanted to go home,didnt remember name or my children i have four. My mom flew in i had no help just me in kids was in hospital for awhile.lost feeling on left side for 8 eight months,i cry to this day what did i do so wrong to suffer to suffer to day.today i walk days with cain or dont get out either i have been dignoised with everything herei feel like a put a burden on everyone my husband takes care of me slot snd my kids and i feel guilty,that man took my life and kids i lost two jobs cuz of condition. The stae said since i had make-up and nails and hair done i didnt qualify,i guess everyone sees my pain if u have been there

November 23, 2012 at 5:53 am
(56) Heather says:

I’m 55. I have just graduated with an M.A. (distinction) from a British university. I love learning new things and i can cope with exams, however my short term memory is terrible. TERRIBLE. I cannot remember what happened yesterday let alone last week. I walk into a room and wonder why i am there. It is scary. What is going on?

December 15, 2012 at 2:02 am
(57) Thea says:

So I’m 15 and I think I have working memory impairment. I tend to forget words a lot when I’m having a conversation with my friends and I take these really long pauses trying to remember what the word is. Sometimes I just give up on talking because I can’t seem to remember the word. Like I know what word I want to say but it doesn’t seem to come out when I try to say it. I can see the word perfectly in my head for about 8 seconds but the more I try to say it the more I forget the word. It gets really embarassing in class when my teacher asks me a question. One minute I’m answering it perfectly, then I freeze cause i can’t seem to remember a word.

Lately I’m even forgetting how to spell the simplest words like “knife” or “apparantly” and it gets very frustrating because I love reading my dictionary and I love words but each day things are getting worse and worse to a point where I decided to research my condition and find out what it’s called. I also have the hardest times memorizing vocabulary in school, which is causing my grades to slip miserably and I use to make all A’s but now these days I make D’s and F’s because memorizing has gotten so hard.

My sister did notice that I tend to memorize lyrics perfectly, so my Spanish teacher in particular thought of a great way for memorizing vocabulary. She said that I should turn the vocabulary words into a little song to help memorize them. It worked out great the first day, but then I always forget to do it. I also forget to do homework and I always need my friend to text me the homework for each class.

January 2, 2013 at 6:52 pm
(58) fred says:

fred
I want to express my gratitude for the extensive work you have done over the past week. It was a pleasant feeling a lot of warmth and peace flowed through to me I believe. I felt immediately calmer when the you cast the magic spell and the feeling stayed with me through-out the next couple of weeks. I wish to convey that I have received my results this morning. I was shy to return th talisman to nature and I must tell you I could feel a pulse from it. Or a slow rhythmic juddering. A vibration even, to the extent I can hold it; and I feel the imprint of the vibration in my hand when I take it out again, as this is my first ever experience doing anything like this I feel the need to record every moment of it. I look forward to the next chapter in this my spell and help work.DR CHECKthank you indeed. templeoflove1@gmail.com

January 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(59) Vincent C. says:

I am 58 working out of the country and often driving between cities. My wife came to visit me and we were traveling from one city to another. All of a sudden I could picture the place I’ve been living for two months and where we were driving to. I had to ask my wife
“Where are we going?”
“Where do I live?”
” How is my apartment?”
It was a complete blank. She thought at first that I was kidding but I was extremely worried because I couldn’t picture the place or my destiny.
I am now worried that it can happen anytime, worst … when I am alone. It took couple minutes to recover clear mind. My mother had Alzheimer’s and I am worried that this could be a first sign. This is not a short term memory loss. It was a complete blank that came back in minutes. If I was by myself I would have to stop the car and wait for things to clear out in my mind.

January 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm
(60) Tory Christman says:

Having joined the Cult of $cientology in 1969, soon after they insisted I get off of my much needed medication for Epilespy. As a result, my short term memory has been burned out, most of my adult life. But I have to say, it’s refreshing to hear (even though I”m sorry each of you is having to experience it) that others have very similar problems.

For me? It happened when I was 22. So now in my 60′s many of my friends are experiencing “Not able to remember”…and are often quite freaked out. I just say, “Welcome to *my* world.”

My one advice: Keep a sense of humor. It’s gotten me through more possible nightmares, and kept me working for years beyond when I “should be able to”. Love to all :) Tory/Magoo

January 19, 2013 at 3:35 am
(61) David K says:

Wow I don’t want to be redundant but I just turned 28 and in the past 3 years alone I have seen a signicant decrease in my memory despite working full time. I hope I can keep working, not really to just keep my mind going but more so to know that I can do something while my gray matters fades quickly. I doubt in our lifetimes they will be able to stop/reverse anything but I really wish they could decode the central nervous aspect. It’s why we have so many symptoms. That is our converging point for everything that matters. How can we fix it? I hate that we don’t know how to flip the switch on overactive nerves.

I’ve come to accept that my magical life and mind are gone. and I will always be depressed about it. I’ll always hope they make a significant advancement but I don’t see how they can anytime soon.

I feel for you all, and it’s painful to see how the symptoms are verbatim and yet none of us have anything that truly helps.

January 19, 2013 at 6:24 pm
(62) Noelia says:

It has been happening to me a lot lately. I’m just 25 yrs old and I can’t understand why all of a sudden I can’t seem to remember where I put things or where I left my money. And when I try to remember my head starts to hurt. If anyone knows what may be wrong with me please comment, because sometimes I feel like I’m going crazy and it just doesn’t get any better.

February 1, 2013 at 7:20 pm
(63) Lu Anne says:

I quit my job due to brainfog, because I became ineffective and it was embarassing. I worked in customer service and it was extremely difficult to learn new programs and procedures, and to find the correct words, even to email. I’ve tried to support myself doing home healthcare and limited cleaning jobs. But I also suffer from extreme stiffness and the usual fibro pain…different every day. I’ve contemplated for months filing for disability, knowing how difficult it is to prove for fibromyalgia. Basically.. I need help. I have no idea how to write the initial application, explaining the complete problem. I had logged onto one of those sights where disability specialists give advice, but was told I needed more medical records to back me up. I have since seen a rheumatologist, who would be more than glad to back me up. I also saw a psychiatrist, but I don’t think was very willing to help. Several years ago I went thru a battery of tests at a memory clinic, where my results were mixed…some tests I scored very well on & others were totally opposite. I contacted the local Dept of Disabilities & Aging, but was told I could find everything I needed online. So again, how do I write up the initial explanation in the disability application? I’m sorry this is so lengthy.

February 10, 2013 at 1:38 pm
(64) Angie says:

I am 46 and when my Junior High, High School, College and/or family members talk about events that occurred when we in younger I CANNOT REMEMBER them. I understand not remembering your childhood between ages maybe 8 and under but I can’t remember anything. I pretend to remember but honestly I don’t. Why is this happening to me? It’s been like this for years.

February 16, 2013 at 1:57 pm
(65) Gary says:

I’m 58 and have been problems remembering task that I have done for years. Also learning anything new is becoming harder. I’ll be shown something new and totally forget what i just learned. It’s becoming embarrsing and I’m becoming scaried that there is something really wrong. Any ideas? I’m 58, have had bypass, diabitic, type 2.

February 22, 2013 at 10:42 am
(66) Jo says:

I have fibro, lower spinal damage and underactive thyroid, the first two causing constant pain and totally sleepless nights. I have noticed lately that I will finish a conversation I have participated in and then totally forget the whole conversation within moments. My daughter is becoming increasingly frustrated with me. I get my words muddled (sound fine in my head) and say some really odd mixed up sentences. Is this normal as seems to be getting worse, like my short term memory has vanished :-( . I take amytriptalene, diazepam, zapain, thyroxine.

March 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm
(67) Lisa Pearce says:

When I read a sentence I forget what it says as soon as I read it. I usually have to read a sentence at least two times to remember it and even then I can forget it. Or, I can drive to a convenience store, know what I wanted to before I got in there, but as soon as I walk through the door the memory of what I needed has gone. I read some where that doors have a lot to do with this memory relapse. It’s like a bermuda triangle, the door itself is what eradicates the memory. Weird. However, if you give me a good book, and I don’t have to concentrate too much on the content, and I can glance over sentences without paying them too much attention, then I am more likely to remember the gist of what is being said. It’s as if the importance of what I am reading is what makes me forget it. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

March 31, 2013 at 3:03 am
(68) David says:

Wow , It’s great to hear these comments, I can relate nearly all of them, One of my biggest concerns has been my poor conversational skills and concentrating on what I’m saying when I’m sharing something, I interrupt a lot (because I’m worried I’m going to forget what i’m to say) then I steer the conversation off topic.
I have trouble learning new things , and keeping concentration on multiple tasks that need immediate attention.
I tried a bar job once, I could serve one person one beer, easy! But after a while I’d get an larger order, I turn around and I would forget among the people at the counter who I was serving , If they took the items off the bench before i tallied it in the till, I could not charge them.
I could not get the last order out of my head and may even charge someone who hasn’t even ordered yet. After 3 hours by brain was exhausted and completely incompetent at the job

April 9, 2013 at 2:48 am
(69) Tammy Jones says:

Well im unsure what to say here but I know I haven’t been right for a long time. I am 21 years of age, I feel like my brain is surrounded in fog, I have been given anti depressents, but I know im not depressed, I can’t think I haven’t been able to learn anything new for a long time, I live my life through others because of this. I find it really difficult.to follow conversations, and if some one was to tell me what to do I even forget then, I come in to work and plod along, people say there is nothing wrong with me because I look ok so I have literally just plodded along. I have managed to hide it for a long time. Even when it comes to me I go to doctors and forget what they say it’s ridiculous. Think of it as I get through my day, wake up, forget what I have to do and get through my day. I can’t work out anything this is so debilatating I wish I had asked for help sooner, because people think I am ok. :( I am going for a phyciactric assessment I hope this will help me! Any advice?? Because I know nothing :(

April 9, 2013 at 5:53 am
(70) clare says:

I have recentley just got a job at T.G.I friodays cleaning but worried as i have a short term memory problem and worried ill forget what to do when i next go in any advice.

April 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm
(71) Lorena says:

I have lost 3 jobs because of memory issues , today is the second day at work and my boss is training with 3 other people. She said I was struggling . Again this is my second day. Two temps next to me are keeping up. same age as me around same the same age.

what , cannot keep a job like this.

May 29, 2013 at 1:55 am
(72) Michelle says:

today was my husband’s birthday and he had taken me and my son to the store well I got the cake it was walking around the store and grab a few other things and then I looked down and realized I didn’t have my keys in my hand and I thought I set them down at the register over by the corn that I was feeling I asked my son to go over and ask the lady if my keys are sitting there its ok me about 15 minutes to realize that I did not drive myself out there and I did not have my keys at all what is wrong with me

June 17, 2013 at 9:49 am
(73) SB says:

I am so glad my daughter sent me this article and I read the comments because I have been going to the doctor since this has started and it is all so me. No more MRI”S thank goodness. I was so worried that I was getting dementia or alheimerez. Thank you Chris and thank you who ever printed the article and all of you who wrote comments.

June 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm
(74) Ruby says:

I’m beginning to wonder if this is me. I had glandular fever about 18 months ago and since then remembering number sequences had been difficult if I’m tired or stressed, which as a taxi driver, this is a bit of a nightmare. I was.beginning to think I had.number dyslexia or something, but this seems to fit better if that makes sense.

June 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm
(75) Emma says:

I forget things alot. One day i woke up and said im going to get on the computer, so i walked all the way into my office and said, what am i doing again? i forgot things alot and it gets on my nerves so much.

July 7, 2013 at 10:03 pm
(76) chatear says:

If some one desires to be updated with latest technologies therefore he must be pay a
quick visit this web site and be up to date everyday.

July 8, 2013 at 10:46 am
(77) iza suhairi says:

i’m a 37yrs old housewife. I don’t really know why lately if I wanted to say something to my kids, I end up the laughing stock to them when I said tv instead of radio or shoe instead of flippers. It worries me alot. And it has been happening quite often since a year ago. Is there anything wrong with me? I went to my family doctor and he said that its only fatigue and I just need a rest out of the hussle of my house whole, but being a mom to 3 growing up kids there is no such thing as “me time” . Sometimes I also experience frontal headache forehead on the eyebrow. Usually the ache lasted for 10 -15 mins but regularly.What should I to prevent this from happening in the future? Am I having C.F.S or is it something else?

August 13, 2013 at 4:43 am
(78) Shannon says:

hi everyone,

Just recently I got home from school and began doing the usual stuff. according to my mum however, I walked to the freezer and got myself some ice cream and left it by the sink untouched. I have no recollection of doing this at all. It was as if I was sleepwalking or lost about 2 minutes of my life without even knowing the time had passed at all or that I even performed such a task.

Very comforting it is to know I’m insane and all. Actually I had no idea what just happened and I’m not even going to try and think about that!

August 14, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(79) Kay says:

I have the same problems as what I am reading on your posts.Went to a nuerologist and they told me that I had Alheimers(early onset). I was just wondering if anybody has been diagnosed with Alheimers or not should.

August 27, 2013 at 1:06 am
(80) Rhonda Martin says:

I dont know if my fibro causes this or not but what sometimes happens is if I hear , read , or think of certain words or phrases I call it white out cause I dont black out but for a min or so I dont see , move or think or anything It scares me but I cant protect myself from words or prases when I can never remember what they are

September 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm
(81) Maelee says:

I forget a lot. One time a teacher told me to do or get something from a room, I forget what I was suppose to do. I felt embarrassment when I forget thing. It make me feels dumb to myself and to others (that is how I feel when I forget). For a long time now I still have a feeling that maybe my brain have some kind of memory problem. I have trouble understanding too. I feel bad about myself a lot for having difficulties with my memory and understanding things. Why? Why? Why my brain forget so quickly and why answering or understanding thing so hard for me?

September 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm
(82) karen says:

HELPPPP my memory is so bad I am having trouble speaking! I cant remember names, I cant remember words or things I have done in my life. Im so frustrated i want to cry!!! I am not stupid at all and I feel i look stupid when I cant even have a simple conversation or express myself the way i want to!? I find myself using simple words because i cannot remember bigger words!????! I dont want to lose my job because i work in an industry where I need to speak and meet executives and high ranking business owners. ugghhh!

at least reading all the above comments make me feel like i am not alone and there might be a cure :(

September 14, 2013 at 3:16 pm
(83) Billy says:

I show symptoms of this, but I’m only 18. Should I be worried?

September 25, 2013 at 10:42 pm
(84) tania says:

so the other day i as walking to my class and suddenly forgot where i was going and couldn’t remember the class or teacher i had that period it took me like a minute to remember am only 18

October 10, 2013 at 6:59 am
(85) Jansirani says:

when i am doing work at the moment some other work interupting i forgot to do previous work.
Some times i am telling i will send message like that but at the moment itself i am forget to do send messages.
I am maintaining records and all, but i am forgetting where i kept the file when i kept like that?

If some one call suddenly at the moment i am getting scared, i am nervesing my words all skipping, at the moment they ask some questions i have know answers well but i could not able to express that. I am forgetting every thing.
After came out from that place i can remaind that. Why its happening ? how to overcome that?

October 21, 2013 at 1:47 am
(86) Heather says:

Wow. I mean on most days I just think I’m crazy. Chronic fatigue, brain fog, memory loss. My doctor attributes all my problems to hypothyroid. My levels are normal and I still sleep 14 hours a day. Finally, had to quit my job because I’m an idiot. Didn’t used to be this way. Of course I walk into rooms and forget what I’m there for, I leave for important meetings forgetting the vital information I needed, I forget I have appointments, I forget what happened and when it happened and sometimes I have no memory of things past period. The worse for me was I ran into my neighbor and literally thought she was one of my clients. She seemed taken aback at my conversation and left there wondering what the hell was wrong with me since I carried on about not seeing her for years. Hello, she’s my neighbor. I see her every single day. WTH. Then all I want to know is what the crap is this thing called in my hand? Someone says “a clip board”. Oh yes, a clip board. Why can I not remember simple words. I am only 36 years old. I am going to be completely bat $#@% crazy soon?

November 11, 2013 at 1:30 am
(87) Kalli House says:

I have problems remembering things that happened in the past, and doing recall of events. I cannot tell you when something happened, even if it’s just in a rehash of events. I cannot remember a lot of my high school or college years. People will ask me about certain key events and I will look at them and sometimes ask “Are you sure I was there?” It’s embarrassing. I have trouble with and giving directions. I’m still decent at names and have noticed lately I misplace words to which my analytical logical husband likes to correct and I just sneer. LOL. I’m a type A person but have bouts of depression and anxiety throughout my years. I have fibro (been diagnosed a year) and myofascial. I worry about my memory since my grandmother has Alzheimer’s, I believe both of them might. :(

November 18, 2013 at 11:44 pm
(88) Jessica says:

I am still a young teenager and I have suffered from blanking out during mid sentence to be doing something then black/blank out to the point where I am unsure of what I was doing before because I simply can not remember. I am been horribly suffering from this for years now and as I grow older it only becomes worse! I have read many articles on what might be happening and every single one has said its very common and more then 40% of the world population suffers from it but I still have not got any answers to why it is happening to me. I hope that one day I can get the answers I am looking for as it is affecting my everyday life to the point where I can barely learn at school and enjoy any sporting activites out of school.

December 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm
(89) Amy says:

On one hand I’m sorry to hear so many suffering from the same thing I’ve struggled with all my life, and at the same time a bit comforted to know I’m not alone. From a young age I was just stuck in special needs classes, my IQ test came back saying i was borderline mentally retarded but here’s the thing, I functioned normally in everything but memory, even treated for ADHD. I’m now 43 and have chronic back pain, suffer from major depression, anxiety & was just recently diagnosed with Cognitive disorder NOS ( poor working memory), my dr also told me that if I where to take that same iq test and leave out all the part that have anything to do with memory, that my iq is normal to above. He gave some comfort in letting me know some people are born with it other can developer it, especially if under stress or in pain because the same part of our brain that is responsible for memory is also for pain and stress, so he explained it like our brain is like a computer that needs to create space(relieve stress or pain) to allow room for more memory. Last but not least he recommended a program that unfortunately insurance won’t. Cover as of get but it’s called Cogmed, it a program you take on line$750.00 but well worth it, my memory has improved 45% just within 6 months.

January 16, 2014 at 1:25 pm
(90) Maria McIntosh says:

My husband Pat was having A lot of memory problems, confusion,couldn’t drive A car because of it….. While doing research on line I found A site that said food coloring, artificial sweeteners can cause A mirade of problems one being memory loss that mimics Alzheimers. I have eliminated all of the food dyes that are in so many products that we consume. He is perfectly back to being himself and thank God that I came accross that article. I cook only natural food and make sure I read all labels, even marshmellows have food coloring….. You have nothing to lose by trying this because so many of you are so young and it should not be having memory problems at such an early age. My husband was 64 when this happened so I was very concerned because of his age. Good luck on your quest on going natural.

January 19, 2014 at 1:53 pm
(91) Romanii says:

The reason I’m here is because like many others described I became a little worried that I could have some type of early set dementia. The way that I explain my memory is extremely selective. It’s really hard for me to remember details. For instance I moved about two years ago and I was looking through old pictures of my home. Everything seemed so unfamiliar. I knew I lived there it just felt like a dream, a big blur. I could be in the middle of a conversation and completely forget where I was going with it. To be honest, I got to the point where I would rather write a letter or email because it was hard for me to have a normal discussion without having notes. I’m a healthy 21 year old male. I exercise every day, I don’t do drugs, I eat very healthy. I am scared :(

February 9, 2014 at 12:35 am
(92) rachel says:

I don’t know what i have got but this sounds about the same to my experiences….

Im 18 and i carnt even watch a movie!! i dnt remember a thing everything is just so fuzzy and frustrating no matter how hard i try to concentrate on a movie its just blank…

I even have trouble having conversations with people i sound like a complete idiot my words get all jumbled!!!

Please tell me if i can tain my brain to go back to normal it affect my day to day activitys so badly :(

February 18, 2014 at 5:56 pm
(93) Erin says:

Its terrible, allot of the time I just forget my sentence or a word and get angry with my self..

February 18, 2014 at 6:05 pm
(94) Erin says:

I am only 12 and i have all these symptoms. My memory has been getting worse and worse this past year and I have been looking for things it could be, this is the only thing that fits in with my symptoms. My long term memory is fine, but a convocations I have I quite often forget and when I forget words or sentences I get very angry with my self.

March 19, 2014 at 5:11 am
(95) Read It Before You Eat It How to Decode Food Labels says:

<a href=”http://j.gs/847485/foodlabels”>Read It Before You Eat It How to Decode Food Labels</a>

April 2, 2014 at 4:46 am
(96) Vee says:

I hate to admit thats me too.. and the longer you have fms the worse it seems, its gotten bad enough that I have to vocalise what I am doing and why so that way when I finish getting whatever, and ask why are we getting together.. they can remind me. I was wondering how tou guys handle police interaction because I’ve been pulled over for staring at the light after it changes(i forget where I am and am looking for landmarks or where I am going). I hate having to disclose my medical information especially because some feel its not real and even more especially because the more nervous I get the more my words leave me I seriously sit there gesturing like a crazy person unable to say anything or explain anything while my brains like tell him whats wrong. Ive taken to carrying a notebook or just refraining from driving but id like advise

April 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm
(97) Kebekah says:

I used to be very sharp with my memory. Now, I have problems speaking and articulating my thoughts, even simple words or terms. I have gone back to college and it has gotten worse over two years, not better. I wrote a 3000 word paper and forgot what it was about less than two months later. I pulled it out because I was so frustrated at not remembering. I have trouble spelling when I type and I completely blank in conversations. What I have noticed the most is that I know I am forgetting something (I can feel it), I just can’t remember for the life of me. If I don’t leave detailed messages or emails, I sometimes forget by the time the person gets back in touch with me. It’s very hard and in business/social situations, I feel stupid when my thoughts come across as empty.