1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Flu Shots With Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By October 8, 2011

Ah, flu-shot season. It's here once again, bringing with it confusion and fear in the fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome community.

So should we get flu shots or not? I wish I had an easy answer, but as you know, there's no such thing with these illnesses.

The dilemma is:

• Some of us have vaccine-related flares that can be severe;
  • But if we get the flu, we're likely to be extremely sick for a long time.

Neither option is great, which takes it down to weighing the odds and making a personal choice. Some things to consider include:

1. Have you been prone to the flu in the past?
  2. How likely are you to be exposed? (Be sure to consider the people you're around.)
  3. Which risk seems greater to you - a vaccine-related flare or a prolonged illness?
  4. Do you have other conditions that put you at high risk of flu-related complications? (These include diabetes, emphysema/COPD, heart disease & autoimmunity.)

I never used to get flu shots, mainly because I don't know that I've ever had a true case of the flu. I got one a couple of years ago amid the H1N1 fear because of the risk to my children and my autoimmune thyroid disease, and I felt lucky not to have any problems with it. I intended to get one last year but got distracted by a dislocated knee and it just never happened. This year, honestly, I'm ambivalent. But that's me. My decision is based on my own history and really isn't relevant to anyone else.

In past years, posts like this have lead to some heated debate - which is good. It means people are taking the issue seriously and are communicating with each other. However, I hope you're not overly swayed by other people's arguments. Look at the different issues involved, evaluate the facts of your situation, talk to your doctor about risks and possible complications, and do what you feel is best.

How do you handle the flu-shot dilemma? Have you had reactions to the vaccine or complications from the flu itself? What factors go into your decision? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo Stockbyte/Getty Images

Comments
October 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm
(1) Felicia Fibro says:

I had gotten the flu vaccination shot (TIV) the first four years I had fibromyalgia and never had any problems, then I didn’t get it for awhile. Last year I got the nasal spray flu vaccine (LAIV) per my PCP’s recommendation and had a bad reaction. This year I plan on getting the TIV shot. I wrote a post about this, if anybody wants to hear more about my reaction and the differences in the vaccines.

October 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm
(2) Terrie says:

With the H1N1 I wasn’t able to get the nose spray because of the chronic condition of Fibro. but I did get the shot. But last Friday, I got the flu shot and was sore/stiff for 4 days. I teach part time in two elementary schools… and with all that exposure to people I thought it was better to get the shot than getting the flu. I can deal with a few days of being really stiff and sore as compared with the flu… but like the author said, with the symptoms we face, which is worse? When do we really know if we have had the flu? I think it is interesting to see people who have gotten the flu and the sympathy they suddenly have for how I tend to feel a lot of the time. I don’t wish that feel for anyone really.

October 9, 2011 at 7:40 am
(3) Nancy A. says:

I just got a flu shot and a pneumonia shot last week (I had pneumonia in 2006). I had a pain flareup this week but it’s still a lot better than getting the flu.

Remember a few years ago when there was a shortage of flu vaccine? Well, that year, I got the flu. It was horrible!

So, unless you have severe allergic reactions to flu shots, I would recommend getting a flu shot every fall. Save yourself a lot of misery. Flu on top of CFS/fibromyalgia is something you don’t want to have!

October 9, 2011 at 9:46 am
(4) Rachael says:

I personally would not get a flu vaccine. For one, I can’t even remember the last time I had the flu. Dr Kent Holtorf a infectious disease specialist with extensive experience in autoimmune diseases has seen numerous patients who were harmed by vaccines. Dr Holtorf is an expert in the field of CFS and FM. Quote: “Gulf War Syndrome, which is almost identical to CFS and FM, was found to have a parallel cause. The cause was determined to be from multiple vaccinations under stressful conditions in susceptible individuals.”

On this video (at about the 2:30 mark) he talks about H1N1 flu shots and CFS and FM patients:

October 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm
(5) sharon says:

I came down with fibro after a year of colds and flu, had one or the other every two weeks for a year. So I have opted for the flu shot every year.

However, this year my husband got a flu shot and then came down with the worst cold of the decade. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I’m still mulling it over.

October 15, 2011 at 11:21 am
(6) Nitalynn says:

I would say go ahead an get the shot but be very careful to time it when no one in the house is sick and do your best not to expose yourself to anything else immediately after the shot. I am no expert by any means but the shot will set your immune system off and then after it slows down it may take a few days till it recovers and it seems to me you may be a bit vulnerable at that time. I wonder if that could be what happened to your husband. There are so many cold viruses out there that render a vaccine for “the” common cold useless.

October 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm
(7) Mic says:

Apparently, patients are not being warned that the flu shot this year is a combination of the regular flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine. I can’t help but wonder if the bad reactions reported in this blog are due to the change. Another source of info for those who are interested is the National Vaccine information Center (NVIC), founded and directed by Barbara Loe Fisher. Ms. Fisher was featured earlier this week on the TV show, “The Doctors.” Some of you may have seen the episode to which I am referring.

October 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm
(8) Ashli says:

I got the flu shot and had a bad reaction (painful welt and extreme bruising) but I guess its worth it to not get the flu! I did want to get the nose spray but the nurse giving it to me said that people w/ auto-immune disorders can’t get the nose spray because its an active virus.

October 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm
(9) Abot Bensussen says:

I did get a flue shot, this year as I have every other year. So afraid of getting the flu, am I. This year, however, I had a reaction the next day, felt feverish, weak, and dizzy. Everything went back to normal the next day, so I’m glad I had the shot, even though I had to cancel an appointment and spend the day in bed.

October 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(10) John B says:

I’ve had ME/CFS since 1985 and I’ve been dealing with it as best I can, especially seeing as there are no doctors that will provide much help, let alone believe that you are truly ill.

I made the mistake of getting a flu shot in October 2009. The next day a had a crash that came on with a vengeance and it barely lets up at all now. Shortly thereafter I was blessed with peripheral neuropathy (PN) that now affects my hands and feet. It causes me pain when I stand or walk and it gets progressively worse, to the point that I must sit down and rest after being on my feet of more than 10 minutes or so. I have not found any treatment that works for this and it seems to be getting worse.

About the same time I started having bladder problems. When the urge to go came on it did so with extreme urgency to the point that if I didn’t go right away, I would have an accident. Thankfully this is being treated with Vesicare.

Now about 6 weeks or so ago I’ve started to feel dizzy and have balance issues. I find myself stumbling, especially when I turn a corner. I have now taken to using a cane to steady myself.

Flu shots for me? Not any more!

October 14, 2011 at 5:12 pm
(11) Marti Murphy says:

John, please go to the website

and read every other LDN website you can find. I’ve been on LDN (self-prescribed) for more than a year, and it helps about 50% — which is a LOT when you are in a lot of discomfort and lack of balance, etc.

October 15, 2011 at 4:59 am
(12) CFIDSer says:

I’ve found large doses of B vitamin complex to help my peripheral neuropathy. YMMV.

October 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm
(13) Brenda says:

I have had flu shots for the past 8 years at the recommendation of my doctor because I have an artificial heart valve, also been diagnosed with diabetes this year, but it has never triggered a flare in my fibro.

October 10, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(14) Bochanan says:

My fibromyalgia was triggered by a case of the flu I had twenty years ago. I had a flare for three miserable years. I never want to go through that again so I always get the flu shot now, especially since I work in a hospital.

October 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm
(15) Sarah says:

I became a believer in getting a flu shot after my whole family including me caught the H1N1 flu before they could distribute the flu shots for it in the early fall 2 years ago. While the kids go over it fairly quickly my husband and myself were down to the point of needing relatives to take care of our kids and make us meals. We came close to needing to go to the hospital with it. It took my husband about a month of recovering and it took me close to 3 months because of fibromyalgia to get past it. Last year I got the flu shot but the nurse doing it injured my arm with the needle on top of being handled too roughly for someone with fibro it was enough to scare me away. This year I plan on getting the nasal spray to avoid the extreme pain from the needle. I am afraid of side effects but more afraid of the flu.

October 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm
(16) John Buettner says:

The nasal vaccine has a live virus. If you have CFIDS/ME or FM, don’t get it. It’s supposed to be very bad for us.

October 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm
(17) Vicki says:

Had a flu shot two days ago, felt miserable for two days but am better today. WAY preferable to the weeks or months of being sick with the flu! Is a personal decision but the right one for me. :-)

October 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm
(18) Vicki says:

Has anyone tried the new painless shots with the smaller needles?

October 14, 2011 at 4:00 pm
(19) Ursula says:

I have never had a flu shot, and never will. The evidence is mounting that the flu is caused by a vitamin D deficiency, as we don’t get sunshine in the winter.

It is a lot smarter to take vitamin D3 (at least 5000 iu a day for the fall and winter months), which will keep your immune system running properly, and will prevent the flu, without any side effects or long-term complications.

Try doing some research, to see if people around the equator ever get the flu (or MS for that matter). They simply don’t, because they get lots of sunshine all year round, and therefore make plenty of vitamin D.

October 15, 2011 at 11:33 am
(20) Nitalynn says:

Sorry to burst your bubble but getting vitamin D and processing it is not the same thing. I live in the sub tropics and have to take extra because my body does not process it correctly. Also just because the weather is not bright and sunny you still get vitamin D if you walk outside for a few minutes at any time of the year. For that matter sitting in a sunny window in winter also helps. My sister has the same problem as I but her body no longer processes it at all so she has to take a special form in a shot once a week.

October 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm
(21) Honey panther says:

Yes, I have CFS and chronic back pain, FM and cold and hot weather induced asthma and IBS, all due to accident in 1990, so the issue of flu shots has certainly been an issue with me.
Years ago at the insistence of my dr. I did get the flu shot and then proceeded to get a horrible flu following that shot. The dr.
said ” how sick would you be without the shot?”. So what to do?
I thus do not get the shot. But this year I might try it again to see the outcome one more time. As in all things all one can do
Is try to live the best way you can with all the knowledge about
YOUR SELF that YOU have concerning Your OWN self. Only YOU
know how you feel and how things effect you. If I get the shot
the outcome is more ammunition to my info file on my health.

October 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm
(22) KookyKat says:

I’ve had CFS for 4 years and have been getting the flu shot for 3 years. Even a simple cold leaves me flat on my back and debilitated; flu would be much worse.

I did get swine flu 2 years ago about a month after I got a regular flu shot, but it only lasted 5 days. I’m old enough that I was probably exposed to swine flu earlier in life so it was mild. Still, the 4 days of fever were brutal, even with fever reducers.

Enough of my life gets put on hold because of CFS, I don’t need flu knocking me out as well.

October 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm
(23) L says:

My doctor and I discussed this just this week! I’ve never had a flu shot and her decision right now is that it would be safer for me not to. I’ve had Fibro my entire life (I’m 38 now, was diagnosed in early teens), I’ve had pneumonia twice, my exposure to children and other disease vectors is minimal, and I have a lot of respiratory allergies, one of which is at its worst here through the winter and has caused no end of seasonal bronchitis and sinus infections, but we’re pretty sure I haven’t had the flu itself in ages. I am getting allergy shots at least once a week. If we can manage to knock out my reaction to the winter pollen, this coming season will be our first test case to see how healthy I can stay.

I will add, though, that I have a long history of chest pains associated with strained fascia in the chest cavity. The docs had heart and lung tests done and those are fine; it’s simply that deep breaths and coughing aggravate the fascia & cause horrible pain, and sometimes it leads to pleurisy flareups.

October 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(24) christy says:

I just got the flu shot this past week and had no problems others than minor soreness at the site. I’m a nurse so it wasn’t an option working in a hospital. I have gotten the shots for the last 8 yrs without problems. While I’m commenting let me tell you how much relief accupunture has given me for my fibromygia!

October 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm
(25) Coral says:

In 1985 I had a bad case of flu that led to complications including bronchitis and asthma. I was off work for two weeks and felt ill for at least a couple of months. This was well before my CFS diagnosis.

I never want to experience such illness again. Consequently, I have had flu shots every year since 1986. Luckily, I don’t seem to have any negative reaction to the shots.

October 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm
(26) Janet says:

I was diagnosed with RA 6 months ago. I have been diagnosed wth fibro for the past 5 years. I was an educator and always felt like I should get the flu shot. Two years ago my reaction to the flu shot was a horrible 5 month flu. The same thing happened last yeat. I talked with both my regular Dr. and my Rheumatolgist who both say I should not get the shot this year. One thing the vaccine does is rev up your immune system. For somone like me, that is not a good thing. Gentle hugs…….

October 14, 2011 at 7:47 pm
(27) Helen says:

I had a friend who got the flu shot three years in a row. The fourth year, he suddenly developed paralysis and is now a paraplegic – he was one of those one in 100,000 who got a severe reaction.
That’s enough to keep me away from the flu shot.

October 14, 2011 at 10:20 pm
(28) Annabella says:

I’ve been having flu shot every year and every alternate year I’ve the pneumonia shot as well. I don’t have reaction more than the usual : just a couple of days of yucky but nothing serious. This year, its still winter in Australia I was surrounded by people who have been hit by the flyu who lasted for some past the 4 months period….really really serious…But I did stand tall…not even a sneeze just a bit tired and a fever for a couple of days and I was up again….Unless people have an allergy to eggs , in my opinion should have the injection….I will always have it ….Good luck…to everyone,,

October 15, 2011 at 9:35 am
(29) Colleen says:

I first got the flu shot 2 years ago during the H1N1 scare was around because any side effect to the vaccine seemed less difficult than what the effects of H1N1 would be. I did however have a fair few side effects to the vaccine. but it was more managable than me having flu. So, the next year I got the flu shot again and had less side effects this time around. Only slight dizziness and a tad bit of a sore arm. So I’ve decided to get the flu shot for the third time and I’ll see how it goes. Was a tough decision initially, like playing Russian roulette because I react to all sorts of medications, etc. All the best this year when you make your decision. It’s a tough choice for many of us. Take care.

October 15, 2011 at 11:13 am
(30) Nitalynn says:

I usually get flu shots but had not gotten one when I first went to see a new doctor early last fall. When I saw her she encouraged me to get the flu and pneumonia shots and said she would talk to me more about it when she saw me in a month. I told her at the time I would probably get them but did not want to get them together. When I saw her again I was in a brain fog. She sent me for the two shots and I went in with the paperwork and not only did they talk me into getting them both that day but a tetanus shot as well. I reacted badly to one of them. I was in bed most of the next week and it took me a month or more to get back to some sibilance of normality. The tetanus was not the one I reacted to but they did say more people react to the pneumonia than the flu shot. I will never get more than one at the time. If I go to get a shot again I will take someone with me with specific orders to stop anyone from talking me into anything but the specific shot I am there for.
I also never talk to salespeople in a brain fog!

October 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm
(31) Suzybee says:

I am very keen because my father, who was a very fit Naval Officer, caught the Asian Flu virus that was going in the late 60′s. He tragically died from it and nothing shocked us more than that did. I have asthma so from when I was in my 20′s I have had a flu jab religiously every year and have never had any cause to worry. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 6 years ago and diabetes about 4 years ago and still I have not had cause for concern and apart from a slightly achy arm a few times have not even been aware or felt the needle apart from the little scratch you expect to feel.. I had it this year and must admit I did get a sore arm and a raised lump about 3 inches round appeared and stayed for about 4 or 5 days and was hot. I also had a lot of pain in my hips and thighs but that is where I also have OA and two collapsed hips and also the place I always have felt it bad prior to having flu jabs in the beginning. It was nowhere near enough to stop me having one again next year and just one of those things as far as I am concerned. I have always been told it is not a live virus anyway and I always think that people who say they went down with flu afterwards may already have been harbouring it prior to having the Jab and it would have been too late for the vaccine to prevent it but it seems that not many people ever look at it from that point of view and the other thing I would like to say is that an enormous amount of people call a cold the flu with alarming regularity and I swear half of them have probably never had a true flu and would have quite a shock when it does hit them. I think at the end of the day if you have reduced immunity then it makes sense to do what you can to minimise the risks but it’s up to the individual but please don’t not have it because Mildred down the road said she had the flu after she had hers and she aint never having another!!! Make your own decision after talking to your GP/ doctor.

October 15, 2011 at 4:49 pm
(32) Di says:

Suzybee, you are so right. There are so many people that say they get the flu after having a flu shot. Impossible to get the flu from a flu shot as it is NOT a live virus.
It is very common to have an injection site reaction; reddness, swelling and tenderness and many people also develop headache, general malaise and general feeling of being unwell which generally only lasts for a few days.
The ‘flu’ or influenza is a respiratory illness and is similar to a cold in many aspects but the flu generally presents with more severe and slightly different symptoms. It is important for everyone to know the difference between the two respiratory illnesses. This is a good website for information http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/coldflu.htm
Another common mistake that people make is referring to gastric illnesses as the flu. They are very different and this website has excellent information. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/faq.htm
The flu shot is one of the best precautions I take advantage of every year as the risk is minimal and I see the protection as a necessity for someone with an altered immune system.

October 16, 2011 at 10:20 am
(33) Carolyn D says:

I had the flu shot last week and haven’t felt well since. I’ve been getting them regularly for the last few years with nothing but a sore arm for a few days. So a sore arm versus the flu was a no brainer for me. I have fibro and migraines. Within hours of getting the shot I had a bad headache that turned into a week of migraines. Sore body parts. Misery for the first three days. Felt like I had the flu! Runny nose included. I always doubted the people who said they got the flu from the flu shot-I don’t anymore. I have my own proof which is all I need for me.

October 17, 2011 at 4:41 am
(34) marirose says:

I have had the fibromyalgia diagnosed in 1981 and the cfs started in 1990 after I was going to school and working fulltime aand raising a family. I’ve had the flu only once in all that time and it came a year after the flu shot,it was so bad I have never gotten the flu shot for that reason. I don’t know why some people get the fluso often and others don’t. The cfs and fibro is so limiting that I only work on reserve on occasion. I do take 1000mg of vit C and 2000mg of Vit D3.daily.I hope we all get thru the winter OK between the shorter days and cold I am always in flareup in the winter.

October 17, 2011 at 5:00 am
(35) Sharon Levin says:

The heaad of the Centre for Virology in South Africa has for7 yrs, when we have this ‘flu shot/not’ discussion for FM/CFSand ME, been adamant that we should NOT have the flu shot, as more and more viruses resurrect ugly heads and are not covered by the flu shots! If one has Auto immune Thyroid Disease, this is NOT A REASON ever to have a flu shot either.
Asthmatics/chronic bronchitics/ are more likely to want this flu shot to help cover their respiratory conditions in winter, however even these illnesses cannot be certain to be covered! Some instances have shown making the conditions worse with the flu shot. Pneumonia -5-yr shots are effective for the condition, as 3 x weekly shots before winter of Beri-Globin shots helping the bloods’ gamma globulin levels, along with B12 shots 1 a month for 3 months are shown to assist far more than ‘flu shots’. Sharon Levin http://www.fibromyalgiasa.co.za. (I am an asthmatic , have NOT had a flu shot but certainly have the 5-yr pheumonia and beri- globin and B12 shots for past 8 yrs and have not suffered at all with flu, et al for those years. Previously when given the flu shot, I sure got the flu in spades!)

October 17, 2011 at 9:37 am
(36) May says:

Whenever I do not get a flu shot I always get the flu. How much my fibro flares up after the shot varies from year to year. Last year I barely flared up at all. Since I work full time Mon-Fri I wait until Fri night or Sat morning at a clinic in the pharmacy I use. They are in my health insurance network. Then I have the rest of the weekend to recover from any fibro flair up. For me, it’s much better to get the shot than to get the flu. I think everyone needs to make their own decision based on information and their own experience.

October 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm
(37) sadielvsblues says:

I work in the health care field and have direct patient care. I get a flu shot every year and I’ve never had a flare from the shot.

October 22, 2011 at 12:06 am
(38) DIANA says:

I have always been susceptible to the flu; hardly ever get colds ‘tho, and have been ambivalent about the flu vaccine. But for the last 10 or so years have gotten the shot.
However, for some reason now forgotten, I decided to not get the vaccine last year and came down with the most horrible case of flu that I could remember.
So decided I had better get the shot this year. Two days later I came down with a very mild case of the flu for 5 days. So, I don’t know what to think. Perhaps I should get the flu shot even ‘tho I have a mild reaction?

October 22, 2011 at 8:32 am
(39) bev says:

I got the H1N1 vaccine and ended up in emergency as all of my joints ceased up – it started at my neck and worked its way down my body. Needed steroids and morphine and several weeks to recover. One of the most horrible and frightening events in my life!

October 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(40) Sandra says:

I’ve had Fibro and CFS/ME for most of my life and have been having the flu jab for several years without any adverse reaction until this year. I had the injection (in my right arm) at about 10.20 am, waited in the surgery for about 10 mins as instructed, then went home. On the way home I started to feel a little nauseous. A few minutes after arriving home I started to feel unwell. I had severe chest pains, radiating out to the whole of my right hand side and up into my head and jaw. An ambulance was called and I was taken to hospital where after tests I was admitted and was kept under observation until about 10.30 that evening. I’ve had a couple of other episodes of ‘non-cardiac chest pain’. but this came on really quickly. Was this a reaction to the jab or simply a coincidence? Should I have the jab again next year? I’d appreciate any advice.

November 4, 2011 at 6:11 pm
(41) Sandra says:

Throughout my life (I’m 67) I’ve gotten a severe case of “flu” every time an epidemic or pandemic was about. It can take me months to recover. Now I’m older and the possibility that another case would end my life is a real possibility. Since I became aware that flu shots were available (in the mid-1990s) I’ve gotten a flu shot every year. Keep the pneumonia shots updated also. If you have no problem with the shots themselves, get one for your health. Flu combined with fibromyalgia or CFS is horrible.

November 5, 2011 at 11:20 pm
(42) Carolyn D says:

Just read in our local paper-Minneapolis Mn Star Tribune-today there is a high dose flu vaccine they are giving out this year to older people. Fluzone High-Dose.Has 4 times the usual virus-fighting antigen. Can cause a slightly higher rate of side effects-mostly short-term aches and flu-like symptoms! Thanks for the warning!!!!! I bet that is what I got-due to the reaction I had. Never reacted before. Makes me mad.

November 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm
(43) Tami says:

Got the flu shot on Friday, worse flareup I have ever had by Monday…NEVER AGAIN!

October 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(44) linda hunt says:

I’ve always gotten the flu shot and did last year too—never had a problem, maybe a little sore. I live by myself and have COPD so I will be getting shot.

November 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm
(45) Bonnie says:

John B….
I notice that you have common ARACHNOIDITIS symptoms. Have you ever had any spinal taps, or injections in the spine, or spine surgery?
Have you ever had meningitis?

Just curious, and you might want to have that checked out.

November 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(46) Bonnie says:

I had a flu shot 7 years ago, and ended up with the most God awful cold/flu attack I’ve ever had.
I have NOT had a shot since.
I feel like I”ve got the flu every day of my life anyway, and who’s to say I don’t?? Just a thought.

November 13, 2012 at 10:11 pm
(47) jane says:

I am trying to recover from stomach flu of some kind. It has been beyond hell to get through; I thought I might have to be put into the hospital for the fever, and later, for the extreme weakness and dehydration.

I took pepto bismol and fever reducers and those kept me almost not dead.

Really, I have not suffered so extremely in years, not even at the worst of my CFS.

I will never ever ever ever go without a flu shot again. I have had flu shots while having CFS and I was not troubled.

December 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm
(48) DaveM says:

I have had a flu shot almost every year for quite some time. This year, however, I became ill about two weeks after getting the shot. I have absolutely no energy (as I have CFS I am no ball of fire to begin with), brain is fogged, and there are a bunch of other symptoms. I have not felt this sick since 1982-83.

My doctor told me about a month ago that “a lot of people feel that way right now” and basically brushed off anything else I had to say. I do know that a lot of people in this area have been sick, including people who are usually very healthy. Have others had problems from flu shots, especially this year?