1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Poll: Fibromyalgia & Problems With Dental Work

By October 7, 2011

Q: Last week I got a partial dental appliance. The 4 teeth in the front of my mouth had been a problem for 10 years or so - and the problem progressed faster the last couple of years. The new partial makes me look and feel a lot better. But so far it's a pain when I've eaten. The small particles of food that cluster around the appliance are driving me crazy. I am now taking the appliance out after a meal and rinsing it off. It's more comfortable that way. Is this normal? Do others have problems with adding something new, like contact lenses, partial dental plates, etc. I have a hard time sometimes defining what is fibro and what isn't. -Deborah

A: Great question, Deborah! I know I've had problems adapting to the appliance I wear at night for TMJ, and new crowns tend to bother me if they're not perfectly made. I would guess that fibromyalgia makes it harder to adjust to these kinds of things but I can't say for sure.

Who else has problems with these things, or with dental work in general? Take the poll, and leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Comments
October 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm
(1) shastadaisy says:

I had a boil that appear on my lower left gum that resulted in my losing 3 teeth and and all my lower left jaw. I had to have bone from my high grafted to my jaw. It has taken 2 years for me to finally get dental implants where I lost the 3 teeth. I have very diligent about seeing my dentist twice a year, brushing and flossing my teeth. My Dentist was in shock when I came in for an emergency visit. He sent me immediately to an oral surgeon. I had to have 3 surgeries, one in the hospital and 2 in the oral surgeons office. I missed 6 weeks of work and had to be without teeth for over a year. PLUS, my dental insurance didn’t cover anything because they considered it “cosmetic”. I’m still paying on the $17,000+ it cost me. No one can tell me how I got this infection or if it will ever come back.

October 8, 2011 at 11:28 am
(2) Tammy R says:

About 3 years ago, I had two teeth abscess at the same time on opposite sides of my mouth. It was very odd because I had spent 1,000.00 on one just months earlier and it was doing great. I lost both teeth and another 1,000.00. I desperately need implants because of the location of the teeth but that’s another several thousand dollars. And nobody can tell me why this happened. I blame the CFS/FM. It’s been really hard on my teeth.

October 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm
(3) Cyn says:

I recently have been fitted with upper and lower partials. I just can’t stand them in my mouth. They irritate just the same as with fabric on my skin. I have been persistent with wearing them, but I don’t think it will last much longer.

October 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm
(4) Milly Molly says:

I can’t even bear to have the routine clean and check, my teeth ache for weeks afterwards it like having a headache in my mouth for 2-3 weeks, yet alone having any work done;

October 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm
(5) Janet says:

Further to Dental Poll.

For the last 6yrs have had an endocrine CFS/fibro after a thyroidectomy for thyroiid cancer and I am on thyroid hormones T4&T3. I have had 3 extractions in the last 5yrs and each extraction has resulted in agonising dry sockets. This is seen as unprecedented for my dentist.
Has any one else had this?

Best wishes Janet

October 7, 2011 at 11:00 pm
(6) Jaide says:

I have not had any problems with dental work, and I hope I don’t after reading the other blogs. But, I have tried two different times to wear contact lense. I have been fitted both times, and it was about a year between fittings. I wore them for about 2 weeks and was miserable the entire time. They dried my eyes out and felt like something was scratching my eyes. I did everything I was told to do, but I just couldn’t stand the way they felt, so I went back to my glasses. I never contributed it to FM until I read this article, but it was similar to how some of you described the dental apparatus. Hope no one else experiences this.

October 8, 2011 at 8:00 am
(7) typingterror says:

I fight going to dentist until it is an emergency. I do not have dental insurance and cannot afford fees charged. I have full upper plate and partial lower plate with only 6 teeth on bottom. I have had such a wide variety of odd procedures on bottom. I had one tooth come out which has been put back in and bonded to teeth on each side. I have caps on some. The partial is fitted with a hook around tooth to stabilize. All teeth have caries behind them. They are very discolored and gum has worn away – just a total mess as partial does not fit correctly but refuse to go back. My upper dentures do not fit well but cannot afford to get relined so I have bought do it yourself project for $29. I live alone and do not wear upper dentures while at home. I have had major dental issues all my life and was first patient to have implants put in with video being done so it could be shown at dental convention. Needless to say these did not last. I have wasted thousands of dollars on dental work. I lost my upper teeth at early age and to me this was a very demoralizing time. My diet is very limited on types of food I can eat in hopes of preserving the few teeth I have left.

October 8, 2011 at 8:43 am
(8) Cathy says:

I have two crowns that I had a hard time adjusting to, I had to fire the dentist that put them in (she wanted to do more!)and the next dentist filed the crowns down so that I could get comfort. I have a dry mouth condition (and dry eyes). At night I brush my teeth, use a water pik and chew a half stick of sugar-free gum at night. This helps keep my mouth closed and hydrated at night (I have yet to lose it in my hair!). My new dentist and I had a talk before he even began to work on me and I explained fibromyalgia and the pain during dental work and afterwards. He had agreed to not clean my teeth with a sonic (water and air) device which is painful up to weeks later and to try to use fillings rather than crowning. My visits with him have been painless.

October 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm
(9) Dawn says:

Every since I went into my first major Fibro flare I’ve had dental issues. I used to have a beautiful smile and my teeth were pretty good. After several years in a flare and with meds, my teeth started decaying quickly no matter how much I brushed or flossed. I’d wake up with 1/2 a tooth missing all the time. When I went to the dentist there was nothing they could do other than pull them all out. Since I’m on Medicare and Medicaid (with a spend down) I was able to get all the work done at the local dental clinic for free. They also fitted me for and made me full upper and full lower dentures.

I do have issues with them some times especially since the medications make my mouth dry most of the time. I’ve had them for a month and am still getting used to them. The worst part of all of it was the novacaine, about 30 shots in total every one of them unbearable pain. Once I was numb it was ok. Good luck everybody I hope you all find a comfortable solution.

October 8, 2011 at 5:32 pm
(10) Lulu says:

Ever since I have had FMS, I have had trouble going for regular dental work – even cleanings. Because of the bright lights, I wear the darkest sunglasses I can find. I have a topical anesthetic applied to my lower gums before the dental hygienist can work on them, and then it is applied again to the upper gums before they are worked on. If I have to have any procedure done (filling, etc), I have to be given a sedative the night before and 30 minutes before my appointment. I tend to need more anesthetic than the average person. I also MUST have blankets on me because I get extremely cold. I have been going to the same dentist for decades so they know me and have seen me go through the changes that FMS brings. They are very willing to do whatever is necessary to accommodate me.

One related thing that I have found that seems very strange: when I have jaw pain, I also have pelvic pain. I have no idea what the relation is to these two things, but it is consistent.

October 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(11) Colleen says:

Lots of pain. At times problems have to be ruled out to see whether it is sinus, teeth, ears, neck, etc. Suppose to us a mouth guard and helps with it but hinders sleep because of something being in my mounth. Also, my teeth, one or two in particular, are right at the bottom of my sinus and create pain. Lots of pain problems and it’s been hard to figure out how to treat it all figure out where the origin of the problems lie. Still trying to sort it all out.

October 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm
(12) Deborah says:

It helps to know I am not alone in the weird feelings. Quite a few years ago the dentist I was seeing wanted me to start using an electric toothbrush. At that time I was working full time and my medical spending account paid the $95 for the toothbrush. I tried it for a week but I hated the feel of it in my mouth. In addition, the noise drove me crazy. The next visit the dentist asked how I liked the toothbrush, When I explained the reasons I couldn’t use it, he acted like he was certain I was crazy. My current dentist is great. There is more I need to have done and the dentist before this one wouldn’t fix my front teeth until I had the work done. This dentist knew how important fixing the front teeth would be and agreed that we would do the other work after I’ve had the partial for a while. I am paying for the work a little at a time.

I’m going back next week for an adjustment. I used to have dry mouth but I seem to have an abundance of saliva. I have a love/hate relationship with the partial. I know I need it but it’s so hard getting used to have something in my mouth — on the other hand, when I have it out of my mouth for cleaning I am so uncomfortable.
Thanks for listening………. :-)

October 12, 2011 at 1:43 am
(13) Aurora says:

Hang in there Deborah. The one thing I keep hearing is “give it time” Sometimes I don’t feel like I have that much time. One thing I will tell you is when I got my bridge it felt like someone had my teeth in a wrench and was pulling in the opposite direction. Little by little it has become comfortable and I am now happy with it. I’ll be honest with you though. It took about 9 months before I could go the day and not remember it was there. Good luck.

October 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm
(14) Krystyna says:

It’s so great to know that I’m NOT the only one who has a hard time with Dentist..I too have parcial teeth that I have spend money on are put away…I can’t wear them, I gag and I get sick…if they have to fixed a tooth and do all that driling, it take my body 3 days to get better..I just happy I’m not alone!!Peace

October 17, 2011 at 3:51 am
(15) ss says:

I can no longer bear the vibration, physical and aural, of the tools a dentist uses. It took two visits, with a fortnight break in between, to just have a usual check-up cleaning. I was so exhausted by the vibrations that it took weeks and weeks to recover.

Vibration intolerance has become a huge problem in life generally, from travel in vehicles, to neighbours’ sound systems, to noise in shops and shopping complexes, etc, etc.

June 12, 2013 at 11:56 pm
(16) Amanda.B says:

HI typingterror,
I’ve always found a way to go to the dentist as I strongly believe in prevention.
That way I have avoided those major issues you have discussed. It’s never too late to find a good cheap dentist and going regularly. At least it would alleviate future problems.