1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Natural Treatments for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By July 18, 2011

Are you looking for treatment options that don't involve drugs? Or something that will help manage the symptoms your medications aren't enough for?

Those of us with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome can have a hard time finding treatments that work, and it's almost unheard of for one treatment to completely manage our symptoms.

We've got a lot of options, and you can start learning about them here:

What natural treatments have you tried? What works for you? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Comments
July 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm
(1) NotJustTired says:

This is just one of my symptoms from ME, but I thought I’d share it.

I can hardly believe it, but Topricin is actually helping my peripheral neuropathy – a lot!

I can actually walk without experiencing burning pain.

They will send you free samples to see if it works for you. That’s how I found out that it works for me.
YMMV.

July 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm
(2) andrea says:

thankyou! nice to know!

July 24, 2011 at 4:20 pm
(3) Toni Slater says:

lease can you tell me where I can get a sample I live in England we don’t have any treatment for FM other than pain killers which don’t work. Thank you in advance for your help.

Toni

July 26, 2011 at 5:11 am
(4) DOLLAR says:

CAN YOU ORDER ONE FOR ME, I LIVE IN CAPE TOWN,SOUTH AFRICA.

July 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm
(5) Pained says:

Tai Chi has been clinically tested and proven to reduce pain in studies at Harvard Medical School, North Carolina/Chapel Hill and others.

Yoga has also been shown to help with pain, but many of the forms are difficult or impossible to do for someone with fibromyalgia or other chronic pain diseases, such as arthritis in its many forms.

Have practiced Tai Chi for more than three years and it has been a Godsend. Even days when I can barely drive to the center, I feel better after an hour or so of Tai Chi. An excellent teacher is essential, however, not a nitpicky, details first style of instructor but someone who empahisizes the general style of moves and later works on the small points. That way you feel the benefits in a shorter period of time with reduced pain and fatigue. It isn’t a long term cure, you have to keep at it regularly.

July 24, 2011 at 3:13 pm
(6) Delere says:

I took tai chi lessons for 13 years and thought about becoming an instructor. In ’05 I stopped for personal reasons. Since then the fibro pain and other discomforts have gradually increased. I hadn’t thought about the connection until about a year ago. I’m sure doing regular tai chi was helping stave off the worst of the pain. Now I am doing yoga. Hopefully I can decrease the pain with that.

July 19, 2011 at 11:39 am
(7) Elle says:

Cutting out sugar makes a huge difference. Whenever I have it now, I have a flare withing half and hour.

Swimming is awesome. Find a nice outdoor public pool if you can! The feeling of weightless and sunshine on your face is fab.

D-Ribose and Curamed/Curamin didn’t really make any difference for me. Maybe I was extra disappointed because both are touted as fibro cures. But maybe that’s just me…

Greens powder (from health food store, not drug store) makes a difference, I’m sure. Also started having protein powder in the morning which I think is making me feel stronger.

And again, Zen Theanine by AOR. I know that’s helping me with sleep and anxiety for sure. Felt groggy day one but it passed quickly.

July 22, 2011 at 5:09 am
(8) Ilene says:

I’ve also taken up swimming, but had to refocus my thinking from ‘how many laps can I do’ to ‘swim as much as I can, but otherwise just enjoy the weightlessness’.

L-Carnitine seems to help me recover a bit faster physically when I have an unavoidably busy schedule.

I’ve also taken Vitamin D, but it doesn’t seem to help me personally.

I’ve tried taking Aloe Vera on the recommendation of a nurse with FMS – but I think it might be more beneficial for people with more IBS symptoms than I have.

5HTP gave me a tremendous boost when it came to quality of sleep – but I had to stop taking it after a med change. I use a sleep app on my ipod and if I wasn’t taking 5HTP, the graph was all over the place showing how restless I was during the night. When I was taking 5HTP the graph would practically flat line. lol I’d reach deep sleep faster and stay there longer. And I didn’t have the ‘hangover’ some other sleep aids have caused.

I’m also an advocate of protein drinks. I find it hard to cook or eat quite often and as a result I don’t usually have the energy to deal with 3 meals a day. Protein shakes have been my saviour… when I don’t feel up to eating or cooking I can throw together a shake in 2 minutes and it’s at least providing my body with some nourishment, which helps to regulate my energy, metabolism and blood sugar better than only eating one big meal a day.

I’m having to cut down on supplements at the moment due to money issues, but I’m going to try taking chlorella after reading the detox effects can be beneficial for people with FMS. It’s not as expensive as some of the other supplements so I figure it’s worth a shot while the money is tight.

July 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm
(9) Leslie says:

You didn’t mention how much Vitamin D you were taking. Your doctor should keep your blood level checked. It may be that you weren’t taking enough to get your blood level up. For me, it requires a lot, and it helps. Some brands don’t seem to work. My PCP checked with an endocrinologist for a recommendation. Now I use Carlson Laboratories (NOT with Vitamin A), which the endo preferred over the prescription. My levels are up. I take all my fat soluable vitamins with an afternoon snack of almonds, which has helped my absorption a great deal.

5-HTP helped me sleep, but it gives some, including me. horrible diarrhea. I use 2000 mg of FTH Neutraceuticals l-tryptophan. Puts me to sleep everytime, but it is a no-no with certain drugs, like Ultram and seratonin re-uptake anti-depressants. I don’t need to take any sleeping medication.

I’ll have to check into that ipod app. Interesting

July 24, 2011 at 7:41 pm
(10) wendy says:

Hi there,
Can you tell me about the sleep app you have on ur ipod? I have an iphone (16gb) not the newer iphone4. will try to find it.
thank-you in advance.
wendy

July 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm
(11) Christin says:

I’m interested to see that a few people recommend swimming. I’ve thought different times when my pain was flaring up that swimming might help, but I haven’t had the opportunity to try it yet. Plus it is a low-impact exercise which might cause less pain afterward. Recently, I’ve had pain in my left arm that keeps me up at night. I found relief by wrapping a sheet snugly around my arm from my hand to my shoulder. Weird, I know. But for some reason it helps me significantly when I’m trying to sleep. I’d love to find something natural to help with my brain fog!

July 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm
(12) Colleen says:

I find that massage, physio. stretches, eating / avoiding certain foods, pacing, rest and using specific supplements to be the most effect . Although I have found these things helpful some more significant than others I haven’t ever been in remission (seen improvements at times) but no cure. Just being properly diagnosed and validated and having at least one good support alone is greatly beneficial.

July 23, 2011 at 1:23 pm
(13) FibroRN says:

I have had FM/CFS for about 4 years now, and it has certainly been life-changing. I also have diagnoses of several autoimmune disorders; I encourage anyone with FM to see a rheumatologist and be checked for autoimmune disorders because there are strong corralations between the two. And, I have pain from the FM and RA (Rhematoid Arthritis), and I have fatigue from the CFS and CVID (Common Variable Immunodefiency). I take meds for the RA and CVID that also help the FM/CFS. I have also been investigating the side effects of my medications, and it turns out that Lyrica and Celebrex both have side effects as follows: muscle pain, joint pain, andfatigue; Lyrica specifically causes an increase in depression and anxiety. I came off Lyrica slowly and have been off of it about a month. I came off Celebrex and changed to Naproxen; both of these changes have been good for me. My pain and fatigue is better, and I am not as depressed as I was. I also have come off my multi-vitamin, B complex vitamins, and magnesium. Too much magnesium has a side effect of muscle pain, B complex seems to give me energy, which is good, but I tend to do too much and then pay the price with increased pain. I can monitor my limits better when I don’t take something to boost my energy, it seems to help me pace myself better. One thing you have to take into consideration is that over long term usage medications like Cymbalta, Celebrex, Naproxen, pain medications, vitamins, and basically all medications are hard on your liver and kidneys because that is how they are metabolized and excreted from the body, so after years and years we could end up in liver or renal failure or both. And, those are really bad diseases to have, so I am trying to cut out everything that is not just essential. I am trying to eat healthier to compensate for the vitamins. Also, vitamins are expensive.

July 24, 2011 at 8:50 am
(14) Sharon Levin says:

Practicing as a Complementary Healthcare Prac/Counsellor/Clin Nutritionist/Supplemental Consultant for FM, CFS, ME-Cfids, Adrenal fatigue especiallly, after 23 yrs with chonic debilitating illnesses from all the above and others atttached, I chose to take my life back and depart generally, but not alrogether, as I am now Integrative, from the medical world that gave me no answers and all the drugs’ side-effects. Simply, if one is determined to change one’s life, because of ‘gettting nowhere and sicker’, one can. It takes dtermination and decision. Drop all wheat, gluten, lactose, red meat except organic ostrich, turkey, free range chicken, all line fishes (unless an iodine allergen),have lots of omega 3 fishes, CHIA omega 3 seed sprinkle, cut out citrus, melons, grapes and derivatives, eat lots of avocado, fruit 1 ev 4 hrs – banana, apple, pear, liwi, percimin (1/4), papino (1/4) slices,berries, cherries. Vegs-omit pumpkin and butternut 1 mnth, then half a palmful 3 x a wk, baby and sweet potatoes are good, spuds not, no white rice only basmati, sauces only home made, ex virgin cold pressed olive oil + cocunut c.p. oil, avo and sesame oils, real good, omit butter and marg, peanut butter 2, eat cashew/almond nut butter (grind your own), take high Ester C if tired – 4grms a day, for 2 months then check cortisol levels – they need to go to 400-+magnesium glycinate/citrate 3 grms a day, ca glycinate1000mg BD, Krill Oil , Flaxseed oil caps, highest and best B Complex and best Multi Min and Vit CO, Ginko bilobo, Pregnenalone, Rhodiokla Rosea, LTheanine,Ltyrossine,LTaurine, Stretch exercises,-get help with myofascial therapist/bowen/feldenkrais/cranio sacral+deep breathing teacher. Relax with breathing, bathing, no TV in bedroom. Give it a shot – this is the life you are given. Good luck. Sharon Levin South Africa.http://www.fibromyalgiasa.co.za

July 24, 2011 at 8:56 am
(15) Sharon Levin says:

Adding to preious comment just sent – Have 2000mg Vit D3 a day and Vit D2 take 1 x 50, 000iu’s a week. Feel the difference. Aqua aerobics is excellent in warm water, watch out for the CHLORINE – contaminator to cells and eyes – get a wet suit and goggles if nec. Tai Chi comment – fantastic for balance of Medulla Cortex and strengthening muscles but must be with a gentle teacher – seen many come a cropper from bad teachers! Goes for all! Sharon Levin http://fibromyalgiasa.co.za South Africa Head of Fibromyalgia

July 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm
(16) Anita Summers says:

I was almost completely debilitated with fibromyalgia when I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist who told me, “We don’t know what causes is so we don’t know how to cure it; the best we can hope for is to find some medication that will give you more good days than bad days.”

So I went to see a “chiropractor” who specializes in micro-nutrition, Applied Kenesiology (AK), etc., and who quickly figured out that 80% of my inflammation was being caused by gluten; 10% was from fluoride and the rest was caused by h pylorii, the bacteria that causes ulcers -> gut inflammation -> leaky gut -> food sensitivities -> a very cranky liver.

She started treating me for h pylorii (don’t remember with what natural supplement), immediately started me on an anti-inflammatory-mix-drink-only diet for 10 days, after which I was off all foods from the top 10 allergy list for 6 months, during which time she also did a liver detox.

3.5 years later I’m at about 95%. Ongoingly I still drink my mix daily which has:

Ultra-InflamX – mainly rice powder and turmeric, a powerful anti-inflammatory**

glutamine powder – specific anti-inflammatory for the gut

Dynamic Greens – a gluten-free mix of fruit and vegetable powders – I think the only one out there that has NO barley grass! – extremely high in anti-oxidants, which has made a very significant impact on my level of overall burning feeling on my skin

UltraClear Plus PH, a detox powder.**

**(these are Metagenics products sold to doctors by Nutri-Dyn)

Between food allergies/sensitivities and being pre-diabetic, I can’t take some of the things recommended by other people who’ve commented, and have to eat more of things they don’t recommend, but it’s all a juggling act.

July 26, 2011 at 12:58 pm
(17) Beth says:

Anita:
what kind of testing did the Chiro do to identify your inflamation sources? I went to a similar person years ago who performed chiro adjustments and accupuncture (but no specific testing that I recall) with little lasting success. I’ve had an Allergist do blood testing for Celiac disease (gluten) which was negative.

February 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm
(18) candy says:

ive had fm for 8 months, and i quit the anti-depressents and pain pills they gave me. now i take freeze-dried acai berry for pain and energy. i learned how to make my own capsules for 30 bucks for a 2 month supply. i also take maca root for my memory and fog, theses both have kept me pain free and back to my okd self!