1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Study Provides Support for Post-Car-Crash Fibromyalgia

By March 28, 2011

Research Brief

A new study suggests that vehicle accidents raise the risk of developing chronic widespread pain, while other types of physical trauma do not.

Many people with fibromyalgia report that symptoms began immediately or shortly after a car accident. However, automotive-insurance companies frequently refuse to cover post-traumatic fibromyalgia.

In light of evidence showing that a car accident is more likely to cause chronic widespread pain, researchers are now calling for future research into what makes a car accident different from other types of physical trauma, both physically and in how people react to them.

Did your fibromyalgia begin after a car accident? What kind of injuries did the crash cause? Have you had trouble getting post-traumatic fibromyalgia recognized? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo George Doyle/Getty Images

Comments
March 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm
(1) Rachel says:

I was in a car accident about 3 years before being diagnosed with fibro.. i did have some symptoms before the accident though so i wouldn’t say it caused it, although it probably contributed to it. Fibro also runs in my family.

April 8, 2011 at 9:04 am
(2) jeremy says:
March 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm
(3) Orem Chiropractor says:

As one who sees both fibromyalgia and car accident injury sufferers I concur.

March 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm
(4) Fran says:

In 1999,I was in two motor vehicle accidents within a month of each other. I believe it was the trigger as I was diagnosised in 2000.
Thanks for all you do.

March 29, 2011 at 6:06 pm
(5) carol says:

I was in a car accident 1999, diagd in 2003 they were all telling me it was all in my head!! what a bunch of liars!! and the worse part is my husband never give me any support. i guess that is why we are not married any more!!

March 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm
(6) Antonia says:

Carol, I am sorry to hear that your husband was not MAN enough to stand by and help you through your illness…. I went through the same… I hope that your life has improved since then??? Many blessings to you, and prayers for better health!!!! XOXOX

March 31, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(7) delere says:

I’m sorry you went through that. I, too, lost family and friends over this. Even my daughter who was in the accident with me but fortunately wasn’t injured was unsupported after I lost my job, and we had to be tighter with money.

March 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm
(8) David says:

I have heard that car crashes have caused many cases of fibromyalgia. I wonder why only car crashes and not other post-trauma. I also learned of many symptoms that I did not know were attributed to fibro on HealtheTreatment.

March 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(9) Antonia says:

Fibro does not only occur after CAR accidents!!!! I was abused, physically, emotionally and sexually for 16 years by my ex-husband. I am now, and have been for many many years disabled, due to the horrible injuries I endured due to his abuse. To include, but not limited to, cranial nerve damage, dislocated jaw, back injuries, etc… the list goes on and on… :(
I know, I know, as you read this, WHY did you put up with it? Why not just leave? Well, with TWO kids it is just NOT that easy to leave….(and the constant threat of him saying he would kill me if I left didn’t help any……. :( ). if you know anything about “battered woman’s syndrome” than maybe you have a better understanding of WHY I stayed so long… I STAYED for my kids!!!!!! I nearly died in the end… but I AM alive, and die a little everyday, as HE took my LIFE away from me, with the injuries and the fibro that followed. So no, it is not ONLY car accidents that cause FIBRO, there are so many other things that can cause this damning illness! And for anyone that may be in an abusive relationship??? GET OUT NOW!!!!!!!! Before you lose your life, as I have mine…. Best wishes and many blessings to all who suffer with fibro….

April 14, 2011 at 3:37 am
(10) Pippa says:

My heart goes out you, I had a abusive marraige, who phycologically abused me and the children. I divorced him 10 years ago and untilthis year he hounded me making my life a living hell. I Had a car accident feb11.2010, ever since that moment i have developed severe conditions of fifromyalgia
My life has changed from a happy divorced young woman who held down a job, drove and has had to completely change her life, i cannot drive its 6 miles to nearesr shop. The driver of the car hit me with such forcethe car was an immediate write off. I am battling alongside my solicitor to try and prove the impact and trama have been caused by the accident.
Pippa x

March 30, 2011 at 1:29 am
(11) Val says:

I got Fibromyalgia after a car accident and was awarded the full amount allowed. I was shocked but it can happen.

April 15, 2011 at 9:16 am
(12) Jo says:

Who handled your claim? Am looking for a solicitor who has experience of dealing with a fibro claim

March 30, 2011 at 9:07 am
(13) Cathy says:

Adrienne, Thank you for all the information that has helped me to understand and develope a daily standard to live the very best life I can. A head-on car crash in 1994, C-5 & C-6 replacement surgery in 1996 and Fibro diagonosis in 1999. Although I continued to work under pain and stress, I realy did not get a handle on managing my life for 10 years. Your help, and “The Spoon Theory” taught me to better my life. I work full time, have a caring new husband that understands when I need a nap, and college aged kids that are very supportive. I still miss my old self that had oodles of energy. I can directly say that the car crash was a defining incident in my life.

March 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(14) Becky says:

I was hit by a drunk driver in 1993 and my symptoms started slowly, making themselves very well know by two years later. It took another ten years for me to receive a proper diagnosis.

March 31, 2011 at 2:14 pm
(15) Karin says:

I was rear ended to stop a truck whose brakes gave out! This was about 25 years ago and I have been going downhill since then. I truly believe that accident, which only cause muscular injuries, was the beginning of Fibro. I’ve thought that since I heard about fibro so maybe my theory was correct!

March 31, 2011 at 2:16 pm
(16) Jackie says:

I was in 7 or 8 car accidents bu t the last 3 or so have left the most impression on my body. The first his my left ribs side and the pain is still there today, no one could ever figure out why it still caused pain. then another accident from behind, no damage done except the disk that were already bad, but a very precise pain continues since the accident, no one can figure out whats wrong with the left side of my neck. Then my worst one after my mom died, but I was on so may meds for pain and depression from the passing and back problems that I jsut figured I would hurt all over for the rest of my life.

March 31, 2011 at 2:35 pm
(17) Michelle says:

I was in 3 car accident in 4 years. I started with chronic pain under the shoulder blade which never lets up. Then before long the pain was everywhere. I think this really makes sense.

March 31, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(18) delere says:

Oh, yes. On June 30, 1997 I was read ended and shoved into the car in front of me on my way home from my first day of work at my new real job after college. Fortunately my 10 year old daughter was not injured.

I had whiplash and wore a neck brace for a few days. The pain in my neck gradually subsided being replaced by overall body aches, insomnia, and eventually those tender points.

It took me just over two years to get a diagnosis and a doctor who agreed it was from the accident. The statute of limitations on filing for injuries sustained after a car accident ran out at the two year mark. Things continued to get worse, and I eventually had to leave that job and go on disability.

The woman in front of me must have been injured because I had to give a statement at a hearing about 2 years after the accident.

It was a 20ish girl that hit me. Her second such accident in a year.

March 31, 2011 at 3:08 pm
(19) Jennifer says:

I had car accident a year ago and was diagnosed with fibro a week ago…

March 31, 2011 at 3:55 pm
(20) Alexis says:

I never had fibro before my car accident in 2003. Worked full time and was very active. The morning after it happened, I felt like every muscle in my body was torn off the bone, and the whiplash was horrible. I tried every treatment,pain med, accupuncture and physio, in the months afterward to get better. Within about 6 months, after nothing would cure me, I was diagnosed with FM. Every morning since I wake up feeling like I had run a marathon the previous day.

March 31, 2011 at 4:02 pm
(21) Wendy says:

I was in a car accident in dec 05, my sytoms didn’t start until o9. But I’m sure it had a lot of impact on why I developed Fibro.

March 31, 2011 at 8:34 pm
(22) Kris says:

Back in 1991/1992, I had injuries on the job. I believe that was the start of this journey into the fibromyalgia world. All the documentation points to that very direction, but no one seemed to know of it then. It came across as my being on the crazy side! I, too, have been involved in several car accidents. The most severe being in 1998 and that is one of those life changing moments. We were sitting still, waiting to make a left hand turn and were hit from behind by a fella going about 50 mph! I saw it coming, but there was no time to warn anyone and that was it! It wasn’t long before I had the fibromyalgia diagnoses and it made the past stuff make so much more sense, as I learned along the way. To this day the worst part of it all was the super rotten lawyer I was unlucky enough to have. He didn’t believe me and pushed to the point of having a total breakdown!! I so wish there was some kind of recourse because I would love to put him in his place. All this pain, suffering, post tramatic stuff, not being able to work full time for a year, seeing my family and friends suffer through this accident with me, all the stress and turmoil it caused in not just my life, but all our lives. Oh, I could write a book and then some! I do know that I sure don’t wish this illness on anyone. It is a difficult road to go down when dealing with such an invisible illness and a chronic one. And then there all the other issues that go along with fibro that we get to endure. And we have to fight so hard to get disabilty why??? Who can afford to be out of work for a year in order to get benefits??? How about they get those off disability that are faking it because they are too lazy to work. I wish I knew the names because I would be making phone calls! It is a broken system that someone needs to help fix. That is my soapbox….so fibro friends, take care and hang in there!! :)

April 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm
(23) Diane says:

Hi, Adrienne!
Yes, I did have 2 rear-end collisions within 2 months of each other… and then about a year or two later is when the Fibromyalgia pain and chronic fatigue started.
I’ve talked to a lot of people in our support group, and I’ve heard people say that they got the pain and chronic fatigue after a surgery on their back, after childbirth, after car accidents of all kinds, and after a LOT of emotional stress.
It’s a strange illness! I hope we can find a cure for all of us soon!

April 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm
(24) Rita says:

I was in 2 car accidents within a short period of time. I never thought about them being related to Fibromyalgia. Then I was in another car accident and I had severe back and neck pain almost immediately. The adjuster offered me a very low settlement and made the statement that soft tissue damage would be very difficult to prove. That statement has haunted me through the years.

April 1, 2011 at 8:46 pm
(25) Alisha says:

It was just a few months after a full sized van T-Boned my little Ford Taurus that I developed the symptoms. I woke up one morning and could barely move. It went up and down from there and I’ve been dealing with it since then.

April 2, 2011 at 1:02 am
(26) NanaMolly says:

I absolutely associate my car accident with fibro. The doctor who diagnosed me told me that it may have been the trauma. That was in 1999. Looking back I am quite grateful that he was so willing to associate the two. I was never seen by a doctor for the car accident and it was my second in 5 years so it may very well have been the combination of the two. The stress was bad too. I see a direct correlation between my stress level and my pain. I send my love out to all of you who have not had the support you needed. While my hubby isn’t perfect he always cares for me and gives me the support I need.

April 2, 2011 at 1:11 am
(27) Deb M says:

I was in a motorcycle accident in 1981 where I had whiplash symptoms. But, being in my 20′s I didn’t go to the hospital to get checked out and was in pain for many months after. About 15 years later I wrenched my neck on the back of a 4 wheeler ATV and my life hasn’t been the same ever since. I was diagnosed with fibro 2 years later and has been struggling with it ever since. I believe that my fibro started when I was in my teens, but those accidents brought on the symptoms even stronger.

April 2, 2011 at 9:39 am
(28) Jan says:

After working in a highly stressful job for many years and living in an abusive alcoholic marriage, followed by a divorce, the stage was set for fibromyalgia. But I look back and see that being rear-ended in a car accident and the resulting whiplash injury was the final push over the edge for me. My fibro symptoms began full force following the accident.

April 2, 2011 at 10:16 am
(29) Heather says:

Every doctor I’ve ever seen who knew anything about CFS/FM has asked me about car accidents in my past. This was not the case for me at all – I just very slowly over a number of years went downhill, gradually developing many symptoms.

April 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm
(30) KAREN says:

I was in a car accident toward the end of 2009. I’ve had fibro with multiple diagnoses since 1989, but the accident tore muscles in my neck shoulder and scapula area, and threw me into the most painful fibromyalgic episode I’ve ever experienced. Of course, it makes sense. The jolt alone was traumatizing, since the fibromyalgic body is always in “flight or fight” mode (contracted muscles 24/7). This muscle state leaves us open to easy muscle tears. It took me over a year to get to a more acceptable pain state, and then only through intensive acupuncture. So, why wouldn’t a car accident cause enough trauma to bring on incipient fibromyalgia?

April 2, 2011 at 11:56 pm
(31) Cindy says:

My Fibro was not caused by a car accident.

April 3, 2011 at 2:13 am
(32) Dot says:

Fibromyalsia wasn’t a medical conditon in 1982 when I had my car accident. I saw many specialists over many years before the pain from the wreck was at last diagnosed as fibro. I am now disabled, but the judge did not consider my fibro as a factor in my disability.

April 3, 2011 at 6:54 am
(33) Stephanie Littlejohn says:

I was involved in an accident on the Motorway in 2006. That was when fibro took off. There was no blood, so the MV insurance refused to pay out. I had spinal surgery in 2000, they blamed that for all the pain I had post accident. It is so unfair, my life has changed completely, I am virtually housebound, walking is agony and I don’t need to describe the symptoms of fibro!

April 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(34) Jane says:

I was in the process of confirming my fibro diagnosis in January of 2009 when I was rear-ended. I received a neck injury which accelerated and aggravated my fibro symptoms to such a degree that I can no longer work. I am awaiting a decision on disability at the present time. I knew at the time immediately before the accident that I would need to make some adjustments in my RN career to enable my remaining employed. The accident made this change immediate and threw my life into a tailspin because my employer would not allow me to work in any capacity. I transferred to a less physically demanding RN role in a clinic with a cut in hours from full time to half time. It took 4 weeks for my fibro symptoms to flare up with such intensity, I was forced to quit after 3 months. I tried to make it work, but again my employer refused to allow me to work. I continue to struggle to regain a level of health that would allow me to do some sort of nursing work, but I haven’t been able to regain the ground I had before I started working again.

June 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm
(35) Sylvia M says:

My husband searched for causes and came across the car accident theory. My car accident was not too serious-no ambulance, left scene after police collected names etc. But since then I have developed FMS and CFS to the extent that I’m on twice daily morphine plus other painkillers. This was about 15 years ago, but at that time there was no suggestion of long term trauma such as FMSbeing caused by car accidents. In fact, it has been a struggle to get the conditions recognised by the Social Services in order to claim disability benefits!. It is of course too late to seek compensation as it cannot be proven that a car accident can do such harm.
So yes, I do support the belief that car accidents cause muscle damage that can leasd to FMS.
Another thought–Gout causes joint pain, FMS muscle pain. has anyone any feedback on whether excess uric acid can affect the muscles and tendons. I’ve yet to get my doctor to advise me on this.
best wishes to all fellow sufferers
sylvia

July 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm
(36) Neil says:

I was in a car accident in December 2009. I am 41 and have always worked. My car was side swiped and appx 5000.00 in damage. Within 24 hours I was feeling awful. Chiropractor 2 months, Orthopedic doctors for 2 months. Mri, 3 injections in my lower spine to help with pain. No help at all. Primary care doctor said it was all in my head and I was just depressed. Lots of Meds. I could not stand the pain and the depression any longer. I attempted suicide in December 2010. Woke up on a respirator and then sent to the metal ward for an overniter. Lots of therapy and finally diagnosed with fibro and psoriatic arthritis. On meds and feelinf about 50 percent better. Still get depressed and have flares. In the middle of a lawsuit against the other driver and try to get disability. Very stressful. But I am hanging on. My thoughts go out to everyone of you. I know what you are going through.

July 18, 2011 at 6:00 am
(37) Pats says:

I have been treated for chronic pain and lower spine pain for many years after a severe car accident which I broke left femur and right tibula (compound) and right collar bone and also delivered a baby boy 6 weeks early.

I took myself off morphine after years of increasing and more and more body pain everywhere…..

My new antidepressant is prescribed for chronic pain sufferers and also fibromyalgia but my doctor does not agree I have it even though all symptoms etc posted on your site and others are so similar to mine it is scary…..

Would like to know what the future holds as nursing a sick husband and my 3 young children at the time suffered from cuts and their seat belt restraints broke have i given my kids more pain also????

November 7, 2011 at 9:38 pm
(38) rod says:

I was in a car accident in October of 2004 and diagnosed with fibro in August of 2008. My knee is where my pain was concentrated at for a couple years after the accident then I was diagnosed with arthritis in 2006 following with the diagnosis of firbo in 2008.I do not know how a car accident could relate to fibro and considering it was 4 years after the accident that I began to experience wide-spread pain,I am hesitant to agree.

June 7, 2012 at 4:38 am
(39) Brandon Koch says:

I was in an auto accident in June 2010, I was 17. In December 2011 I diagnosed with fm. The pain started almost immediately after the accident in my hands and has spread to everywhere else in my body. Anymore i’m in too much pain to live freely at all. I have no idea if it is in my family because I was adopted. My sleeping habits are all over and my memory is also getting noticeably worse. I had depression in the past and has gotten passed it but I feel very depressed lately. Also very lost, confused and extremely scared about my health and it’s future; especially since it is difficult to prove the car accident caused my illness. Right now i’m on lyrica, 300Mg a day. It has stopped helping. What i’m looking for is some understanding and guidance towards the right path.

June 18, 2012 at 9:41 pm
(40) nancy says:

i was in numerous car accidents. sometimes i feel as if i am going to die, The pain under my shoulder blades and also neck and lower back pain, my l5 is completely colasped, at times every part of my body hurts, i am on vicadin and my hair is falling out, i hope the best for everyone, I don’t think i am going to make it at times then when i am pain free for a couple of hours i am amazed. anyway all i could do is rest alot and say my prayers, it helps thank for listening

June 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(41) Beth says:

I was 15 when i was involved in a car wreck and soon there after diagnosed with fibromyalgia. 3 years later i still live in constant pain. I’ve been to several Doctors and have been put on 6 diffrent medications that all failed to work. Most day I can’t even get out of bed because the pain is so severe and i suffer with major depression. unless you have fibromyalgia you can’t even understand what its like.

July 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm
(42) Julie says:

I was also in a car accident in 2008, and diagnosed with Fibro (finally) in January of 2012. I settled the car accident in of 2009 not knowing obviously that I would later be diagnosed with fibro. I am now getting worried about my ability to keep working. I own my own business and am an adjunct faculty at local University. If anybody has the name of an attorney with experience in such cases, please let me know.

July 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(43) Lynn says:

Before I read this posting, and all of the comments made in response to it, I thought I was somewhat insane…

I sustained (get ready for this) TWO rear end collisions on the job. Worker’s Compensation carrier hired a *hack* doctor to claim that my injuries were secondary to the domestic violence I sustained earlier, and that whatever else I might have experienced was malingering. I just looked back at that HACK’s report, and I can see clearly that he knew what was wrong with me from the first impression. Thank you all for opening my eyes enough so that I could see how to help myself before I lost my statute of limitations.

May Divine LOVE, LIGHT, JOY, and PEACE be there for each of you…always. I owe you all a tremendous debt for the brave sharing of your stories.

XOXO

Lynn

July 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(44) Jenene says:

I have had fibro for many years. For the most part it was under control. Oh, I would have flare ups that lasted anywhere from a day to 3 days but I was able to handle it. In August 2011 we got rear-ended by a van on the interstate…we were stopped, he was going about 50 mph’s. He slammed us good! At first it was just my right shoulder, from the seat belt but then about mid-September the pain began to get out of control. The swelling in my feet, the stabbing pains the heat spots…it was crazy. This has just gotten worse and worse as time passes. In November I was told I have idiopathic neuropathy. It has moved from my very painful feet into my hands. The sharp stabbing pains have moved to random places. The fatique is awful. I miss 2-3 days of work in a 2 week period because I cannot get out of bed. The other days I drag myself in. I have a cane permanently attached to my hand because I cannot keep my balance, as my toes are completely numb and I have a hard time walking. It feels like an ice pick in my toes, bottom of my feet and burning arrows being shot into me all over. I had a lawyer but he sent me a letter telling me I didn’t have enough injuries for a lawsuit. The same old thing…you can’t see what is wrong so apparently there is nothing wrong with me. The impact caused the fibro to leap into hell! I also believe I have developed RSD-Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The pain level stays at about an 8 going to 10 by the evening. I can’t shop for groceries, I can’t go out, I can’t do housework…I can’t cook a meal. My lawyer never asked how things were or anything…just dismissed me. My skin is so sensitive I can barely touch it and clothing hurts. What do I do? I think I have a lawsuit here but I need a lawyer who believes in me. My husband is livid that this lawyer would just quit without doing any research. Anyone know of a good lawyer & doctor in Indpls that will agree with what I am saying? Thank you

August 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(45) truth teller says:

I got fybro from one in 2006. It was extreame to the point were I was going to kill myself. No meds I took did anything for my fybro. I saw a documentary on YouTube called run from the cure. And I cured my fybro, witch the Dr s say is incurred able. I ate 4 mil grams of hemp oil a day for two months and cured my fybro. Don’t listin to the Dr s be and cure yourselfs and live a normal life

August 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(46) Elizabeth says:

I had suffered extreme whiplash when I was 18. I am now 40 and I seen a pain specialist yesterday and they believe that I now have RSD. Is this possible?

September 3, 2012 at 11:34 am
(47) Cat says:

My fibro symptoms started a few months after my car accident, in which I suffered whiplash and other body trauma. When trying to settle with insurance, there was no recognition whatsoever in the connection between the two. The pain has actually intensified over the past four years and as of yet, I’ve found nothing to work on the levels.

October 1, 2012 at 10:02 am
(48) Bonnie says:

Why are there so many fibro deniers?
I have been to PCG’s Neuros, Orthos, Chiropractors, and they ALL shy away from the fibro and CFS words..I am 5 years post MVA, and I’m not any better than I was 2 weeks after the wreck. I have since learned that I have developed Polycythemia and Renal Insufficiency.

October 5, 2012 at 10:08 am
(49) Louisa says:

I had a crash two and half years ago. I was hit from behind in the emergency stop position at about 60mph. I have suffered alot of pain, sore throats, muscle pain, fever, popping ribs etc. I had an 18 month old at the time. It was really hard looking after her and shortly after, my husband left. I have problems lifting and pulling and pushing. I need a cleaner and struggle to do my work as a designer and a commercial artist.
I am in the midst of an insurance claim, has anyone got any research that supports that this crash could have given me these problems? Does anyone know a rheumatologist that does reports and has expertise in this field please? Thanks tons

January 14, 2013 at 4:56 am
(50) Jessica says:

I was in multiple car accidents througout a 12yr span! Most rear ends, t-boned, side swipped & even rear ended 2 (their fault though)… I have been suffering w/chronic unbearable pain for 6yrs+ before that it started gradually & with eachh accidentt more & more symptoms & pain that didn’t go away with therapy. I’ve had every damn med U can name, I have had every damn procedure (except laser surgery) & still no relief that lasts more than a few weeks! I even became wicked unstable & constantly fall, I even tore My MCL in a slip & fell on the same knee a month later OUCH! I am only 32yrs old & have a 4yr old daughter & although She makes Me smile & I put My mindset into Her, She is now so hard to handle… I have been totally screwed by the system, we won’t even get into Lawyers! I finally got disability & couldn’t even get My kid into Head Start, bkuz I make too much $$ on SSDI!! WTF! Then was on Oxycodone & bkuz of all the aholes abusing it I was sent off to a “Pain Clinic” for alternative therapy..fetanyl patches, which SUCK! Listen “pain care people” your job isn’t to cause more pain it is to alleviate the pain We have!! I can’t even begin to explain the shadiness I’ve dealt with! I cry reading others stories, kuz I know we’re not crazy or depressed We feel like We are slowly dying inside getting weaker & weaker day by day!! We need HELP, not Persecution!! People be the Voice, kuz they don’t give a rats ass, don’t sleep until U find the right help! & if U have no1 to help U or even to “understand/sympathize” it is so draining! Sorry ahead of time ever since My pain has not been controlled properly My agitation level is at a new high & Every lil thing gets on My nerves! They don’t understand that it feels like our bones wanna jump through our fkn skin! & I haven’t even got to the headaches!! Good Luck & God Bless Us ALL who suffer & stay hopeful that 1 day there will be a cure!

February 15, 2013 at 5:52 pm
(51) Ohio Resident says:

Wow! After reading the posts here I should feel lucky the insurance adjuster offered me $75,000 to settle my MVA (motor vehicle accident) claim. I told my attorney NO DEAL because I’ve incurred $40,000 worth of expenses in less than 2 years. Granted, Medicaid paid only half that in actual costs. Medicaid is only temporary while my husband is a student. He grads this year and will get a job. What happens then? I have a pre-existing condition. Will the insurance pay for meds and treatment? I’m concerned about future expenses. They should all be paid by the insurance because the Fibromyalgia is fully due to the MVA.

February 15, 2013 at 5:52 pm
(52) Ohio Resident says:

Circumstances: a semi-tanker truck hauling hazardous chemicals veered into our lane on the hwy. we were going 65mph. weather was great so no excuse. the car behind us stopped and gave a witness statement so insurance agrees their driver is 100% at fault. He got a ticket from the police for Failure To Control his vehicle. I’ve been treated by the same MD fr 10 years. Other than some occasional low back pain when I do something I really shouldn’t, I never had problems that prevented me from doing what I wanted or needed. Absolutely no symptoms of FMS. had MVA 2010 and no FMS symptoms prior! 3 doctors daignosed me with FMS (family doc, pain doc and rhumatologist-in that order). My lawyer said today quote, “Fibromyalgia is a psychiatric condition”. My lawyer! With that kind of ignorance how is she going to get me a good settlement. 3 lawyers in her office were on the phone with me all at the same time trying to convince me to take the settlement and not go to trial. They say an average juror has back pain and will say why does she deserve money when i ave back pain too? What is your opinion on this (I’m asking all you readers)? I’m in my 30′s, cannot fulfill my life plan of finishing Cosmotology school and then having another baby. Cannot perform hair services! Cannot get pregnant while taking Lyrica and CYmbalta. btw, side effects of these meds are HORRIBLE. so much to take into consideration. too much really to type but whats your opinion?

March 15, 2013 at 1:27 am
(53) Latrice says:

I was rear ended on 4/6/2010 and ion impact felt a sharp pain go from the nape of my neck down my back to my tailbone and through my left arm to my fingertips..The pain never left…On August 10, 2010 after being seen by a Chiropractor, physical therapist..i was diagnosed with Fibro by an orthopedic doctor. :( My life has been a living hell since.

May 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm
(54) shannon says:

I have been diagnosed with Fibro after my most recent accident, I had 4 accidents since 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011 and seen a medical speicalist in 2009 had no fibro then and had a car accident in Dec 2011 and now diagnosed with Fibro from two different medical doctors. My lawyer says its hard to prove the car accident cause this but I think I need a new lawyer.

July 9, 2013 at 9:34 am
(55) Pauline says:

I developed fibro after having been a passenger in a speeding car. My ex-friend was driving like a maniac and I had just told her to slow down as she lost control of the car. We hit an approach into a farmer’s field and my corner hit first and the hardest…After the accident, I was bruised like crazy, sore and stiff, but nothing was broken. In the days, weeks and months after the accident, I was SO exhausted all of the time and something just felt ‘different’ in my body. I knew that something was wrong, but my doctor dismissed it. I kept asking WHY and HOW I could be so chronically exhausted all of the time. He thought I was just trying to get money out of the insurance company I think when the truth was that I would give anything to have my old body back. I used to be athletic and active, happy and positive. Fibro has, quite frankly, ruined my life. The love of my life got tired of waiting for me to feel energetic enough to have a baby, so he moved on with a woman he’d known for 2 weeks. I am overweight because I cannot exercise like I used to, I am chronically exhausted and nauseated, I suffer from migraines and quite frankly, some days, the grief of all I have lost and all that I continue to lose makes me want to die. I did not deserve this. I did not crash the car because I was speeding. I told her to slow down. I wanted to be a professional singer and have the talent to be one, but I don’t have the energy to pursue this. I wanted to be a Mom, but I don’t have the energy to do this either. I am now one month shy of my 43rd birthday and barring a miracle which cures me of my fibro and CFS, I will never be a Mom. My heart is constantly broken…

September 21, 2013 at 2:22 am
(56) Realistic says:

You hear of auto accidents most commonly causing fibro myalgia because that’s where the money is. You can’t sue anybody if you have a condition on your own.

September 21, 2013 at 2:34 am
(57) Unsure says:

I’m don’t understand why everyone in a car accident has a lawyer. Ohio resident, I thought your post was funny. I hope you meant it to be. Talking about how Medicaid will only pay for now and trying to get pregnant again. There are so many people who think like that. I guess that’s a different subject (entitlement).

September 24, 2013 at 9:52 am
(58) BrokenDown says:

I was in a bad car wreck that wasnt my fault four years ago. Prior to the accident, I was in excellent health, had absolutely nothing wrong with me and I about to go to BCT in the Army. The wreck shattered my pelvis and broke my femur in half. The stitches healed but I never truly did. Directly after the wreck, I had severe bowel, stomach and menstral issues for about a year and then the other symptoms showed up. Burning pain in my joints, numbness in my extremities, cognitive issues that I never had before and just a crap load of issues that have gotten increasingly worse as time goes on. I was diognosed with IBs, which can be one of the many symptoms of fibro but I can’t hold a job because I’m in pain 24/7 and as such, I dont have enough money to get a full diognosis. I’ve tried countless medications and nothing helps. I cant take regular pain meds like advil because they dont do a damn thing and my doctor wouldnt prescribe me anything other than 600mg ibuprofen. I took five one day because the pain was unbearable and the only thing that happened was me puking my guts out. To the person who mentioned hemp oil, I’m glad it worked for you but it doesnt work for everyone. I cook and use hemp oil daily and it doesnt do anything for me other than oil my pan or flavor my salad. I just don’t know what to do anymore…some days I wish the wreck just killed me. Is it worth being alive if you never stop hurting? I’m finding it hard to think so.

September 28, 2013 at 6:02 am
(59) auto injury lawyer says:

It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this useful info with
us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

January 4, 2014 at 3:28 pm
(60) Lizzybluts says:

FM
can be dormant for years, only causing mild discomfort occasionally.

If you are injured by a car accident, my case a terrible fall down steps that injured my back, or other trauma, the fibro is no longer dormant but is full blown suffering on a daily basis.

If you have fibromyalgia already, it can exacerbate any new pain you have.

Hope this helps. There is so much information out there, it pays to be your own advocate when it comes to Fibromyalgia.

Good luck!

March 23, 2014 at 3:24 am
(61) Eleanor says:

Hi! I just would like to offer you a huge thumbs up for the excellent information you’ve got here
on this post. I’ll be returning to your site for more soon.

April 10, 2014 at 6:55 pm
(62) Debby says:

I have fibromyalgia and though I did not remember whn it started (20+yrs ago) my friend did. She said it followed a car accident. Though I walked away, it was a head on collision at low speed, I also suffered nerve damage and needed carpal tunnel releases on both wrists. My Mom got fibromyyalgia in her 30′s, so I thought it was just genetic. But from what I’ve read, most people have a triggering event. Unfortunately, what many doctors don’t tell their patients is that having chronic pain, lowers your threshold for pain! In medical physiology, this is called “slow pain”. Fast pain is the type you feel with a burn. The nerves signal rapidly to get help for the source of the pain. Slow pain is also a body’s call for attention, but because its cause is not life threatening it starts off rather quietly. But it is a call for help, and over the years the pain will get stronger and stronger to get fixed-kind of like when you say “supper” and the 3rd time you say it it has become “SUPPER!!!!” I mention this because it is very important that you get good pain management care and take good care of yourself. Always do the self care that works for you,and if you feel a flare come on take your meds or get acupuncture or whatever you find effective BEFORE it gets more severe. Now that they’ve isolated the myserious ‘substance P” i have hope of better treatment. Bu I think everyone who has chronic pain issues should know that stoicism will hurt you more than help. Recently my Mom told her doctor, “I moved to New Mexico to help my fibromyalgia, but I feel even worse now, what’s going on?” He said he didn’t know. As a woman who suffered from fibromyalgia decades before it was recognized as more than in your head, she experienced his comment with despair. Fortunately I just finished a chapter on the physiology on pain and could affirm it was not all in her head. Get good care, good support, and find out how best to care for yourself. Blessings!