1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Finding Footware With Fibromyalgia

By March 2, 2011

Q: "In a lot of pain and having trouble finding shoes that will work for me. Has anyone got any idea what type of shoe is better? I have tried so many and everyone I have tried is so uncomfortable and my feet are so painful. Could anyone give me ideas whats good and whats not please?" -Jackie

A: This is a really common problem in those of us with fibromyalgia. In fact, when I wrote about foot pain a few months ago, the post got 60 comments!

I can only answer from my personal experience, but I'm certain other people will jump in with their suggestions as well.

To deal with my foot pain, the number one thing I look for in shoes is a good amount of cushion. I used to like a hard-soled shoe like Birkenstocks, but I can't tolerate those at all anymore! Now, the softer the sole the better. My number two requirement is arch support -- nothing that puts a lot of pressure on my arch, but a little something. Third is enough space so that nothing's putting too much pressure on any point. My feet aren't wide, but many of my shoes are.

I've noticed that when my feet hurt, I'm better off wearing a really well-cushioned slipper at home than I am going barefoot. I have some memory foam slippers that have gotten me through some really nasty bouts of foot hypersensitivity.

Something I've just recently come to recognize is how much the right socks can help! I've discovered newer fibers that I love because they make for a very smooth sock -- no more of those ridges grinding into my skin and making it burn. My favorites are actually made of rubber and other synthetic fibers, and they're amazing! They feel supportive and silky against my skin without being tight, yet they're thick enough to add padding to not-so-cushy shoes. They're also especially warm, which I definitely need in the winter. Bamboo socks also feel amazing, and I have some super-soft terry cloth ones to wear around the house.

And that brings me to temperature. At least for me, cold feet = sore feet, and hot feet = puffy, achy feet. It's hard to keep my feet a comfortable temperature, but if I don't I'm in trouble. In the winter, I keep them covered and sometimes use a heating pad or rice bag to warm them.  If that fails, I'll soak them in hot water.  In the summer, I spend a lot of time with my feet in cold water and I don't wear enclosed shoes at all.

What helps you deal with sore feet? Have you found a certain kind of shoe that really helps? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Stockbyte/Getty Images

Comments
March 2, 2011 at 11:24 am
(1) Barbarella says:

I found that Crocs (in summer, although they can get a little sweaty) and Clark´s Airwalks are the *best*…. plus every now and then over the years I have also found some cheap non-branded attractive and very soft-soled shoes that have turned out my favourites for walking.

March 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm
(2) Nancy says:

I love the sandals called “Fit Flops”. They offer great arch support and the make your feet great!

March 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm
(3) Sandy Cleaver says:

I have been a hairstylist for over 30 years. I have tried MANY shoes in these years, as you can imagine. It wasn’t until about 4 years ago that I found Easy Spirit shoes! Where have they been all my life??!! Walking in these is like walking on a cloud! They might not be stylish looking, but my feet are happy!

March 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm
(4) Martha says:

Agree! You need to try the anti-gravity shoes.

March 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm
(5) Pat says:

I’m a knitter and I enjoy making socks but I can’t wear them. I feel the individual fibers so intensely. hard to believe that socks can hurt!

March 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(6) Susan says:

I’ve always been a flip flop girl or barefoot. I can’t do that anymore. I’ve recently been fitted for orthotics and use them in NAOT shoes with removable insoles.
My feet can be hurting so bad on top and I slip my shoes on and that pain is gone. They also help my hip and back pain.

March 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm
(7) Sandee says:

The best shoes for me have always been Merrell’s. They support my foot really well, but don’t make my feet feel too enclosed. The mesh sides on them really help my feet stay at a good temp (though on a windy day, I curse all those little holes!).

March 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm
(8) Sandra H. says:

Merrell slides are wonderful for my feet…been using them for several years…AND, I wear Lands End socks…the unisex ones…no seams and total comfort…a little pricey for me but they LAST a long time…I think my Merrell slides are called “Heather”. I also use Eucerin CREAM, not lotion, on my feet….Out of the shower, dry those feet, SLATHER on the heavy duty EUCERIN CREAM, slip on my Lands End socks and finally my Merrell slides…AND, I don’t even think about my feet again until bath time…And, yes this combo probably looks “funny” but, when your feet are HURTING, you don’t care what the solution looks like…JUST GIVE ME RELIEF that is not causing DAMAGE to something else…

March 2, 2011 at 11:37 pm
(9) Kathy says:

Me too! My Merrell slip on shoes need to be replaced, I wear those darn things everywhere. Even in the snow (accidentally). Most comfortable shoes ever…

I used to wear Danskos when I worked. I’ll still put them on when I need to dress nicer, but I really do like the Merrells.

March 5, 2011 at 12:52 am
(10) Richard D. says:

I loved my slip on Merrels almost to death but then they stopped making the style I used and others weren’t the same (ditto, New Balance). This year I found out I had no cushioning on the tops of my toes leading to something that felt like bone pain and the pads under my balls and heels are so thin as to be non existent.

I went to a special shoe fitter and got Dr. Comfort shoes, wider than my past shoes and a size larger in length.

March 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm
(11) jeff. says:

for myself, outside the house, I wear “Earth® Footwear.” They work the best for me. I simply can’t wear shoes with a heal anymore. (and it feels a bit retro when I wear them too *smile*)

March 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm
(12) Martha says:

Easy Spirit Anti-Gravity shoes are the best. You feel like you’re walking on a cloud.

March 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm
(13) Lynn says:

Crocs. In the summer,Crocs flip flops or the ones with airholes. In the winter, lined ones or Crocs boots. All of my socks hurt my feet, what brands don’t hurt?

March 3, 2011 at 10:38 am
(14) ThisIsMyFibro says:

I like the bamboo socks with the arch support. They are shortie socks and they breathe. But I can’t remember the brand. I get them at Walmart.

March 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm
(15) Suan says:

Dansko works for me. You just have to keep trying till you find what works.

March 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm
(16) Jacq says:

Oh yes, Dansko’s work best for me too! Not only did they relieve my foot pain, but they help with my back, hip, and knee pain too.

March 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm
(17) glenda baumann says:

Wow…all this talk about foot pain. I really believe this was my first symptom and it started as a child. I could never wear regular shoes without constant foot pain. My feet were so tender that barefoot was out of the question. I thought for so long I was just being a baby about it….also told that. I am at a loss for shoes because I put on EEE and it will still hurt my feet. Any amount of pressure. Crocks feel good but no support for my back. I am one of the very unlucky ones who no matter what the pain I have to work and I am on my feet all day long. Only minimal time off of them.

March 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm
(18) Lois says:

I suggest you look into SAS shoes. They are not cheap…about $130 a pair.

They are well made and provide a lot of support plus they come in multiple width sizes.

I have multiple foot problems and have had surgery on my feet. These have been the best for me.

Even though expensive they are very well made and the sandals I have worn for over a year nearly constantly show little wear.

Additional plus, they are made in the USA…probably the last shoes that are made in our country.

March 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm
(19) Patricia Dunlop says:

I have a different approach which works for me. Use Aspercreme on the bottom of your feet. It is unscented and does not get hot or cold. It does contain aspirin, so beware if you have an aspirin sensitivity. It takes away the pain.

March 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm
(20) ssfamily says:

I finally found a pair of athletic shoes that are the most comfortable shoes for walking in that I have EVER had!

They are Avia shoes with the Archrocker insole. They are part of the toning line. Avia Avi-motion 9999 Women’s toning shoe.

I have knee issues and back issues along with the fibro, but I can actually walk in these shoes and they help eliminate the knee pain.

March 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm
(21) John says:

I’d like to add in here that the best change that I’ve had since I was diagnosed with FMS is when somebody actually measured my foot sizes. I say sizes because apparently I have length and width requirements. I have a super high arch, so when I try on a shoe, if it’s not a wide shoe, I have to move up to a larger size, which in turn fits worse length wise, and leads to instability.

My favorite shoes for work so far are my Clarks Unstructured, though I do like Crocs, Merrell, and other shoes that tend to put more into fit, comfort, and performance rather than just look. Unfortunately, I heard that they are not making the Unstructured anymore, such a shame.

I also get very cold feet, so I can’t wear normal dress socks. I tried on a pair of SmartWool socks and boy, is that like putting a slice of heaven on your feet, wow. My feet are so much more comfortable now that I have these. By the way, I found that Sierra Trading has some of the best prices and choices for Smart Wool.

March 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm
(22) weeroo says:

Thanks for this tip, my feet (and rest of body most times) are ‘cold’ feeling even in hot water, and I live in Florida! Wool is the best for combatting this, but have never found any wool socks down here I could try out. Looks like they have a pair of minis I could wear with slippers. Wonder if I can get them to make footies to wear with sandals.

March 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm
(23) Monica says:

I agree with the author on everything! For the summer, I usually find a soft bed Dansko and pray they last me all summer because we all know how expensive they are. Right now I am wearing an Easy Spirit lifted workout shoe and it is super comfortable. I will see my Podiatrist tomorrow and ask if I can do anything else. Thanks for letting me post!

March 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm
(24) delere says:

Clarks Wave. I love them. They are cushy, stylish, and lace up so I can adjust the tightness.

New Balance has a line of old style looking tennis shoes (not the rigid athletic shoes) that are very cushy and come in many colors. I think the model is Retro Running. They also have dress shoes now, but I have not tried them.

As far as socks go depending on what kind of leg or foot pain I have I like compression stockings with no seams, Smart Wool socks (the only kind of wool I can wear without itching), and socks that have what they used to call “arch support” but really weren’t. They were just slightly more snug around the arch/instep. I found this cozy.

My experience with foot pain came on rather suddenly about ten years ago. They hurt so bad I could barely walk. I felt like I tried everything. I found some magnetic insoles that were a solid sheet of magnetic material not the knobby owns with magnetic points I only see now.

After slipping them in my shoes and wearing them about an hour my feet started to tingle all over. Not painful just weird so I continued to wear them since clearly something was going on and I was desperate. After about 2-3 days the tingling subsided and my feet didn’t hurt anymore. I rushed out and bought several more inserts (Hometic?) and wore them every day for quite a while. After a year or two when I finally stopped wearing them the pain stayed away for several years. Sounds weird but it is true.

March 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(25) fogmom says:

I wear Easy Spirit Sneakers and Shoes. I rarely wear anything but sneakers but if I have to Easy Spirit has a soft rubber soled plain shoe. Also if you are the adventurous type they have low heals which are less tortuous than normal heals.
They used to have a mule that I loved. I bought several pair and wore them around the house instead of slippers because they gave me some arch support.
I also wear my shoes one size to large and put more cushion in them and wear thick socks.

March 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm
(26) peeweenorth says:

I have many pairs of Easy Spirit shoes. They have helped with the fibro alot. I am on my feet on cement for 5 hrs. aday and no more leg cramps at night. It’s the anti-gravity ones. I order them right on line from Easy Spirit. much cheaper than buying at the stores. I wore Earth shoes in the 70ies and they were great back then too. btw. I have had fibro for 24 yrs.

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(27) Valerie Manseau says:

I have found that “Earth Shoes” are the most comfortable shoes I have ever found. I used to wear Stegman Clogs which were good too.

March 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm
(28) Dianne says:

Has anyone ever tried the Exogen Ultrasound bone Healing System machine for foot pain. My foot doctor just got me one to try for my foot pain that is associated with my fibromyalgia.

March 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm
(29) Christy says:

I love the Skechers Featherweight D’Lites. I read an article that said even an extra couple of ounces can contribute to more pain in the feet. These are lightweight, stylish and they slip on, which prevents me from bending over and agitating my back. They look just like regular sneakers.

March 2, 2011 at 7:03 pm
(30) tes says:

I have not officially been diagnosed with CFS but have spent the last 6 months being tested by numerous specialists and so far everything has come back normal. This all started 6 months ago when I tested positive for Epstein-Barr Virus. The fatigue, headaches, etc have only gotten worse since then. I have a government job and have been fighting to have my disability leave continued. Im not well enough to work but so far the doctors haven’t been able to show my employer anythings wrong with me. Im at a loss as to what to do.

March 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(31) Jeanne says:

I could barely walk the pain was so intense and a local shoestore owner recommended MBTs. After wearing them for a short time the pain was completely gone. I recommended them to a friend who had tried expensive custom orthotics and stiill had very bad pain and the MBTs also worked for her. After wearing them for a while I could switch off to regular shoes most of the time without the pain returning.

March 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm
(32) kt says:

What is MBT??

March 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm
(33) abotbensussen says:

I look for shoes with steel shanks, this gives me the arch and foot support that I need. Sometimes I find this in Paul Green shoes and boots, though they are expensive, they wear well for years. I also like Dansko, though they are very heavy, and I like the Israeli shoe line from Beautyfeel Shoes. My friend found them at half-price in a local shoe store. I wear their sandals, which are quite elegant looking in metallics.

Of course during the day I wear sneakers. and my socks are for left and right feet. I get those at Nordstroms. They’re a synthetic material and fit very smoothly. I do cream my feet at night and message them, too.

March 3, 2011 at 3:56 am
(34) L Smith says:

While reading all your comments not only did my FIBRO act up but so did my PLANTAR FASCITIS. It’s horrible, dibilitating chronic foot pain. Please google it and I pray none of you have it. I live my life in bed (I’m 59) and hardly go anywhere! I have to wear cross-training athletic shoes ONLY. The pain is torture. You know what they say, “When your feet hurt, everything hurts”. And that would also include peripheral neuropathy, a bulge between L4-L5,,, Please don’t go barefoot…it makes PF worse. You know it’s bad when you go to get out of bed and you fall back in because your feet will not hold you up! I’ve had FIBRO since ’89 and PF siince 2000! Fortunately I’ve traveled the world and had a couple of wonderful jobs, so I’ve had a great life w/ a wonderful bichon frise puppy who keeps me happy.

March 4, 2011 at 5:30 pm
(35) Val says:

I’ve had problems with Plantar Fasciitis for many, many years, and have also worn custom orthotics since in my 20′s…I’m almost 60.
18 months ago I ripped the PF in my right foot. Needless to say, the pain was excruiating and it took over 6 months for my daily routine to be pain free in that foot.
However, a couple months ago the PF started up again and all the stretching I’ve done of my foot/calf haven’t seemed to help.
Anyway, to get to the point :) Can’t remember the exact name of the shoe, but it’s those “rocker” shoes with the thick soles and high arch support. They feel like a cushion when on my feet. I have a pair for outside and for indoors.
I put my shoes on when I get out of bed in the morning and unless showering/bathing, they don’t come off until I go to bed again at night. It’s the only way I can survive.

March 5, 2011 at 5:10 am
(36) Mona Prager says:

I also have Plantar Fascitis and Fibromyalgia. My pediatrist recd’s New Balance style #993. I wish I could find a comfortable dress shoe, and he feels I should not wear sandals, which is a bummer! Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

March 3, 2011 at 9:48 am
(37) Cheryl says:

I just got a pair of Dr. Scholls toning fitness shoes and so far, they have been wonderful for my foot pain. They have the massaging gel insoles built in, a ton of cushioning, the insole is similar to memory foam, great arch support. And for me, the toning shoes are really helpful for the other pain I have associated with FMS – it really helps when I’m having leg and back pain. As far as socks go, my feet are always freezing, but I have a hard time finding socks that don’t iritate me. Seams are so frustrating to me. But i do love socks that have the extra snugness around the arch area. I have extremely high arches and they tend to ache a lot if they are not supported.

March 3, 2011 at 10:54 am
(38) ThisIsMyFibro says:

I wear a lot of crocs because they are rubber and for some reason that seems to help both my feet and my legs. I also like that Crocs makes lots of styles including dress shoes. So I can go to church and unless you look closely you can’t tell that my shoes are rubber. I’m young and not being able to fit in stylishly with my friends is just another pain that Fibromyalgia has caused me. Crocs has helped with that. I also wear some Skechers tennis shoes, but put arch supports in them. And I found a pair of Skechers flip flops that had about 3 or 4 inch rubber soles. Again with the rubber! I wore them all last summer and expect to this summer. I agreed with the author about foot temperature. I have to keep my feet uncovered in the summer. and I have to keep them covered in the winter or they hurt. I also agreed with her about the socks. I like bamboo.

March 7, 2011 at 7:09 am
(39) dollar - South Afirca says:

I wear Clark,Crocs, hush Puppy and Green Cross all my shoes must have arch support. As in now my feet are apining and burning, it is hot in Cape Town. I wish i can walk barefoot but i can’t. Any one knows what can i do for my burning feet also FM & Psoriasis. Need Help also my lower back is so painfull today.

March 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm
(40) Marecha says:

WOW! You have described my feet!

Thanks for the comments about the socks! That has been my biggest problem lately. I can’t tolerate the toe seams anymore.
I tried diabetic socks but they are so loose in the foot that they bunch up in my shoes and cause pain as bad as the toe seams.

I wear Dansko for work (nurse) and Noat sandals mostly.

Now, I have what I call “foot flairs,” when none of my shoes are comfortable (nor are my bare feet). The bottoms of my feet are tender, the tops are painful to all touch, and my left foot swells. It is the craziest thing ever. The swollen left foot is a new addition as of my last “foot flair.”

I am ever grateful for these posts that let me know I’m not crazy & I’m not alone. Thanks!

March 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm
(41) Babs says:

I won’t recommend a specific brand, but wanted to say that the issue is bigger than just the feet–anything not lightweight in footwear makes my back hurt after the fact. Next–impact absorption (cushioning under heel and forefoot, and arch supports), then width. Of course, those issues mean high heels aren’t a consideration. I’m fortunate in that bare feet and good moccasins are comfortable for me (both of those are lightweight…). Expensive sport sandals have been a good bet for appropriate weather. I’m a long-term FM endurer–can’t say survivor–FM is still too limiting for that.

March 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(42) lisa says:

I still wear birkenstocks, soft foot bed for my foot plantar fascitis, no arch, fibro and sore toes – can’t live without them. I find that if my thyroid is working well, I don’t have cold feet if I don’t wear socks (that get wet from sweating), but I live in CA, too. I also like Crocs, MBT’s (i added arch support), Clarks, Merrels and Orthaheels, and I have tried over 20 inserts, too – pinnacles powerstep and birkenstock blue footbeds work the best for me. Another thing that actually really helped my foot pain (and all other joint pain, too) was going gluten free. I was stubborn about it for years, but when I finally tried it, I was very surprised about how much pain went away.

March 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm
(43) DeeM says:

I also wear Birkenstocks, really helps with my PF also. I often get cramps on the tops of my feet and have to take my shoes off ASAP. I didn’t realize until lately that PF, tendonitis, carpal tunnel, etc can all be part of Fibro. I have them all

March 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm
(44) fibrosufferer says:

I have tried all of the above shoes,, but they all hurt at times. I am now wearing Alegria clog shoes. They are soft and have good arch support. You can buy new Alegria inserts when the old ones are no longer soft enough. Give them a try.

March 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm
(45) sleepwalking says:

Try diabetic socks. They come in colors now. For shoes I have found “Mardi” leather wide mules by Naturalizer to be the only shoes I can wear now with all my feet problems. I have them in brown, black and red.

March 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm
(46) joni says:

try the new bamboo socks. very comfortable.

March 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm
(47) mags8312 says:

Fly flots are my hero brand of shoes as far as everyday foot ware goes (I have had to try several styles even with this make) you can buy them in Pavers shops and QVC . When my feet are ultra sore and weight of shoe is a major problem I only trust the equivalent to cheap flipflop type clogs which my sister bought for me off her local market last year – they are ultra light with pretty cut out patterns which mean they don’t make my feet hot and bothered and whats more they support my instep – Unfortunately the stall hasn’t had any more in stock since my sister bought them – I dread the day I need to replace them.

March 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(48) karenrap says:

Agree with all the comments above, particularly smartwool socks that keep my feet the right temperature. One brand not mentioned is KEEN–both their sneakers and their sandles are amazing…I believe the soles are recycled tires. The only sport/around the house sock brand I can tolerate is old navy…not sure why, but my feet don’t get too hot. I also change my socks several times a day (also not sure why!:)

March 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm
(49) Pam says:

A good source for many of the brands mentioned here (shoes and socks) is FootSmart.com.

March 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm
(50) Rio says:

Definitely MBTs! Back pain: gone. Joint pain: gone. Foot pain: gone. Not the prettiest but I rather live without pain!

March 5, 2011 at 9:03 pm
(51) Geralee Baughman says:

WHAT are MBT’s?? Sorry I’m so dense:)
I discovered Rieker brand about 6 years ago and have been wearing one of their shoes constantly and it still looks great and is super for my feet.
Zappo’s carries them.

March 4, 2011 at 5:31 pm
(52) Sue Ingebretson says:

Love my Danskos! So comfy AND cute ;-) There’s an outlet store, too!

March 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(53) Denise says:

Handknit socks are also wonderfully comfortable – no seams, and the best to wear. They don’t need frequent washing, either. There is a multitude of sock yarn out there, from wool to bamboo, in stunning colours.

March 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm
(54) Carol Bradley says:

I’ve discovered Zumfoot shoes. They come in many styles, from mary janes to sandals. They have a VERY strong arch of thick cork. They also have insoles that I have put into my normal shoes after removing the insoles that came with the shoes. Check them out at these many websites.

They have an outlet store in Nelsonville, Ohio, where I bought many pairs of shoes and many insoles.

Carol

March 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm
(55) Donna says:

I wear Keen brand of sandals during the warm weather and Keen brand boots for cold weather. They cradle my foot much better than any other shoes that I have tried. Also, since they cradle my foot, there is less chance of my ankle giving out causing me to fall.

March 4, 2011 at 6:45 pm
(56) Donna Thiessen says:

I wear Crocs or Birkenstocks in the summer time. Also a good walking shoe by Nike or Reeboks with orthotics in them really make a difference.

March 4, 2011 at 11:20 pm
(57) s says:

After gaining 80 lbs. with pregnant ( I didn’t want the baby to go hungry, yeah I know now. But they kept saying u r eating for 2)) All I could wear was I don’t know the name for them
but they r for wearing around the water. they have little holes
in them and expand with your foot. I have flat feet. But they r slip ons, nothing to lace up and your feet can breathe.

March 4, 2011 at 11:48 pm
(58) B says:

What r MTB’s? I have always had very sensitive feet on the bottoms. hate to go shopping for shoes so this info is great. In the 80′s they had womens high heels called “Mushrooms” but that was the only time I ever saw shoe with cushioning in them and someone must have sold the co. because I never
saw again. can only wear sandles, no jamming my toes into those pointy shoes, and if u double up your pair f socks they can act like slippers. got tired of the slippers going under the bed. I too can not work. I have never found a diningroom chair my back could tolerate either. seems like whatever I wear on my feet I get lower back muscle spasms with in a short time
and the pain stops me. I thought I was the only one to have that also. r there shoes that might help stop that from happening? for flat feet.

March 5, 2011 at 5:29 am
(59) Gail says:

I have many pairs of slippers. When I am home, I live in my slippers. If I have to go out, I have an orthotic in my left shoe and an AFO in my right. I’m supposed to wear the AFO while I am awake, but I can’t. When I get back home, these poor, painful feet are right back in a pair of comfy, warm bootie-style slippers. If my feet or chest become cold, I am cold for a long time.

March 5, 2011 at 5:29 am
(60) Colleen says:

I find that keeping my feet warm helps keep pain away. Moist heat works best. After I take a hot bath I use a medicated ointment around my ankles and on the top of my feet. I also find using a cream I like and massaging it into the bottom of my feet helps. Investing in comfortable shoes was definitely worth while.

March 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm
(61) boneeds says:

MBT shoes are wonderful. Muscle Balance Trainers are worth the expense. Can walk, can walk longer. They even help my hammertoes get flatter. Does take a small amount of time to adapt to walking in them. My feet, legs, back feel so much less pain.

March 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm
(62) Lois says:

For anyone with significant foot problems who hasn’t found a comfortable shoe, I suggest giving SAS shoes a try. They are well made and come in a variety of widths.

They are pricey but I have a pair of their sandals that I have worn constantly for over a year and they show little wear. The leather in them seems to be higher quality than most any I have seen. If you watch for a sale they are a little cheaper.

An added bonus is they are made in the USA. Probably the only shoe that still is made here.

I have chronic foot problems and have had surgery on both feet. these have been the first shoe that doesn’t cause me problems and that last for any length of time.

March 5, 2011 at 4:25 pm
(63) Nancy 2 says:

The Easy Spirit Anti Gravity shoes have changed my life. They are so comfortable and help me use my core muscles. I have balance issues from a SI joint problems. One pair from Footsmart.com has a slightly wider bottom and really helps that also.

March 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm
(64) glenda baumann says:

I too have worn the Lands End socks for years. I discovered them when I lived in Wisconsin and worked as a customer service rep for them I only wish I would have bought a lifetime supply when I worked there. It was almost half the price. lol. It is worth the price because they last for many many years. Although there has been a slight change over the years. They used to be much softer although they are soft. I found a website through somewhere the other day and it could have been here. http://www.footsmart.com/ I have looked at alot of these and will try some.
I have seen the Antigravity shoes and have thought about trying them.

March 6, 2011 at 2:02 am
(65) Gloria says:

I used to have lots of pain on the tops of my feet especially in the winter time. I thought that it was the winter snow boots, but that all went away when I found out that I had deficient levels of Vitamin D and supplemented aggressively to bring the levels up to optimal.

It’s a good idea to get your Vitamin D levels checked — the test is 25 OH D. I thought that I was taking LOTS of Vitamin D at around 1500 iu, but that was not NEARLY enough for me. Sometimes it takes much HIGHER doses to get to an optimal level.

Also for those with PF — that sometimes comes with low thyroid levels, so make sure that your thyroid hormones are at the middle of the range for Free T4 and Free T3.

March 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm
(66) Judy P says:

My feet love Dr. Scholl’s “gellin’” line. The gel pads are great for my heels, and I’m on my feet most of the day at work.

I am curious about bras. Anyone find one that doesn’t hurt? I even tried a mastectomy bra, but had to use inserts to be discrete around the kids I teach. I hate bras, but have to wear one for work.

March 6, 2011 at 1:16 pm
(67) Ailsa Price says:

I wear Crocks RX Clouds every day. I have a brown pair and a black pair. I even wear them in the winter with thick socks. If I wear anything else, for even a couple of hours, I pay dearly for it.

March 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm
(68) Shelley says:

I was born with extremely bad bunions. I had never
been able to go a couple of hours wearing the same
pair of shoes, until I bought a pair of Saucony
Walking Shoes!! I can wear them ALL day, and I
didn’t even need to break them in! I purchased
mine at Zappos.com. I know that it’s a pricey
website, but if you go TO their website, read about
the shoe in detail, and then read the Reviews from
other customers about this shoe, then you’ll have
a good idea about how wonderful these shoes
ARE! WhatEVER you do, don’t buy second-hand
shoes! Since everybody’s feet are different, the
imprint left inSIDE the shoe by someone else’s
feet can cause injury to you, even to the point
of falling down and/or spraining an ankle (I speak
from experience)! Plus, they come in the most
narrow to the widest sizes I’ve ever SEEN, they
are very light AND they show no sign of wear
ANYwhere, not even on the sole (and I’ve worn
them everywhere, and have had them for 4
YEARS)! The style is #5277-1. I was quite heavy
when I bought them, but because I could walk &
walk & walk in them without having pain, I lost
over 140 pounds (I just read an article that for
every 5 pounds one loses, that’s 60 pounds of
pressure taken off the feet (as well as the knees)!
Good luck! Sauconys can be found at most big
sporting goods and/or GOOD Department Stores,
so don’t get discouraged by the 1st price you see!
They vary widely (pardon the pun) from store to
store!
:-D

March 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(69) Shirley Outlaw says:

I read everyone of these and I thought the reason my feet were burning and hurting was because about 6 months ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I never dress at home and I never go anywhere except to doctors’s. I wear socks and no shoes at home. I have Addison’s Disease and I am extremely exhausted and I take steroids. For about 2 years my feet and legs stayed swollen really badly. The only thing I could wear was Birkenstocks and I didn’t think they were supposed to be comfortable. Now my feet are not swelling real big and I ordered Some skechers Mary Janes and haven’t worn them yet. I bought a wide for the first time. The lady with the bra problem. I have it too. I have to wear prosthesis with my bras. I had breast cancer in 1995 and I had a bilateral mastectomy. Those bras nearly kill me but I can’t figure out what else to do, that’s one of the first things that comes off when I get home. Anyone have any ideas about the shoes and bras?

March 7, 2011 at 6:35 am
(70) Susan says:

I like the Asics 1100 or 2100 RUNNING shoes for fitness walking. Good cushioning and arch support.

For dressy/casual walking I like the Saucony Grid Omni Walker because they are all leather and look a little dressier. I find them less comfortable for fitness walking because they have less forward motion action. Good for running errands and in the colder weather. I don’t usually wear snow boots because they are too uncomfortable for me.

I always buy in a wide width and wear heavier socks.

March 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm
(71) Jenny says:

I just want to say THANK YOU.
I’ve just recently started reading your daily blog and I feel relief and a higher level of sanity each time I do!
Knowing that you’re not alone is some powerful medicine, huh?
I was a Dansko-only wearer until my fibro spread to my feet a few months ago. They are just too hard now. I’m still searching for my “next brand,” but I’m sure it will be whatever one has the cushiest soles. I’ll be checking up on some of the suggestions here. Thank you so much everyone!

March 8, 2011 at 7:05 am
(72) Valerie says:

Between my FMS & Plantar Fascitis, my feet hurt all the time. I’ve found that Crocs, Merrel, & Fit Flops, among others, work for me. I’ve also found some really good insoles that help with the pain. I wear diabetic socks–I’m a brittle diabetic, so I need soft, non-binding socks. I’ve found a bunch of things–shoes, insoles, all kinds of socks, & pain relief for problem feet at Foot Smart. It’s online & by catalog, they carry Merrell, Clarks, Crocs, & all kinds of great brands. Online it’s: footsmart.com, of course, the shoes are a bit pricey, but boy do they help!

March 12, 2011 at 8:47 am
(73) dana says:

My podiatrist recommended an insert that I love. It has a lot of cushion to it. I think it’s mostly used for diabetics.
ProThotics Pressure Relief comfort insoles
Put it in tennis shoes by taking out the insert that is already there.

March 18, 2011 at 9:44 am
(74) Cassidy says:

One pair of shoes that works for one person wont necessarily work for another person with foot pain as the foot pain may be caused by two totally different things. The best things you can do is go to a running or athletic shoe store where the employees are actually trained to study your gait and analyze your foot issues such as being flat footed or having a high arch and under or over pronating. Getting the right fitting shoe makes all the difference. I suffer with severe foot pain and i didnt know that my FMS issues were causing my ankles to weaken which in turn caused me to over pronate. I needed a shoe with moderate structure and support, and a medium arch. They have made all the difference in the world. Also a podiatrist can scan your foot and fit you with custom orthotics to help with your foot pain. I have also found that the right socks make all the difference. The thorlo padded socks have thick padding in the toes and heels and has lessened my foot pain a lot. Brooks also makes a sock like this. When im just lounging around the house my memory foam slippers are my favorite. you can get them at walmart!

March 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm
(75) Kath says:

I also have Fibromyalgia and have found that “Shape-ups” made by Skechers are by far the best shoes I have ever worn. I have had to have nerve blocks done on both feet for the pain I use to have. These have changed all that.

April 4, 2011 at 9:41 pm
(76) dkcoyle says:

I have worn Birkies for years (high arch), and also have luck with Dansko (even boots!) and SAS (the most comfortable sandels! stands for San Antonio Sandels. very cushy padding) A couple years ago I had orthotics done by a podiatrist, and that helped a lot with my shin pain–it’s much better now. And the one thing I love that no one’s mentioned are the sheepskin boots–heaven! I get mine from New Zealand Nature Company–they sell replaceable soles, so they last forever, since it’s the sole gets flattened out after a while. I now have sheepskin boots, ankle slippers, and even flip flops lined with sheepskin! like walking on clouds.

April 8, 2011 at 10:53 pm
(77) Vicki says:

My favorite soft shoe is a moccasin like the Indians wore. Soft, conform to your feet, made of leather, suede, goatskin (so buttery), your choice.

Google or web: Minnetonka Moccasins. (the only brand to buy)

DON’T GET THE SOLE, it won’t conform to your foot. Otherwise, they have many styles and colors. I have the black suede ones with beads. They have a soft insole. The tie string adjusts the width.

I wear them with thin socks in summer and thicker socks in winter. You just can’t wear them when it’s raining, then I have to wear my SAS and look like the gramma I am! Try the mocs.

April 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm
(78) Lee H says:

Hi Everyone, My wife has a severe case of CRPS which involves the right foot and leg due to a nerve injury. She cannot wear shoes or socks and hasn’t for 7 years. We are trying to find some sort of ice or water walking boot so that she can stay on her feet for more then a 1/2 hour. any help would be appreciated.

April 14, 2011 at 1:44 am
(79) Paul says:

I have no IDEA WHY, but a few years back I bought a pair of VANS, they are sneakers, runners, trainers depending where you live. I liked the look of them, to wear with jeans.

To my amusement I have since found out that are made for pro-skaters. They aren’t cheap $80-$150 but they are the most comfortable shoes for myself. I have fibromyalgia which was only diagnosed this Jan, and every single pair I have bought over the years fits like a glove and haven’t given me a single blister. I use orthotics too. I have worn EVERY single pair until I get holes in the soles. They are that good for my feet and aching legs and knees.

**Remember EVERYONE is different but I thought I’d share what works for me personally, don’t run out and buy them without trying them on**

There is one style of Colorado boot that I recently bought that are just as good, in the Columbia range. You can dress them up or down.

February 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm
(80) Jamie Lynn says:

My mom has bad fibro. and she use to wear new balance, but they always gave her foot pain. She recently tried skechers shape ups and they work really well for her. They not only relieve her foot pain but also relieve her knee, back, and hip pain. They are a little expensive about $90 – $115 but they are well worth it. I would deffinetly recomend shape ups to anyone with fibro. My mom just baught her 3rd pair of them about a week ago. I would say that they are the best shoe for people suffering from fibro.

February 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(81) rebecca says:

Tes, please make sure you are tested for anticardiolipin syndrome or Hughes’ syndrome. It is quite serious,a clotting disorder, and has been connected to CFS and fibro. I have all three, have for a long time. Get another doctor if yours doesn’t know much about it- a rheumatologist is the proper doc for this. You really need to know if you do have it, and receive ongoing care and regular labs. It can cause strokes, heart attacks, miscarriages, and many symptoms of multiple sclerosis. There is a lot of information on the web.

March 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm
(82) Jaide says:

I wear Birkenstocks and MBTs. The Birkenstocks are for everyday use, but if I am going to be up for any amount of time, I use the MBT shoes. They have great support and lots of cushion. I found them at a Sandollar Shoe Store, I had been out with a friend and was in extreme pain in low back, hips, legs, and feet. I could not even stand up straight, and my friend was having to help me around. We went in store, and I put them on and the pain decreased immediately. I have 2 pair of the “mary jane” style and one pair of athletic shoes. The aren’t cheap, but they are worth it. They are the only shoes that I can stand in for any length of time that lessens my pain. I have found them on Zappo.com for the best price. I do have to get a 1/2 size bigger. I appreciate everyone elses comments. I am sad to read that there are others that have as much discomfort as me; I say, “I would never wish this stuff on my worst enemy”!

January 30, 2013 at 2:43 am
(83) Glen says:

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m
thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any points or suggestions? Many thanks

April 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm
(84) June says:

I have fibro and arthritus in both my feet and ankles. Recently I went on a cruise and did so much walking I amazed everyone including myself. I just discovered the reason. I picked up a pair of sandles at Walmart last summer. I noted how comfortable they were and almost lived in them however I was still not walking a lot until the cruise and that’s when i realized the foot pain was manageable. I tried to buy more but could not find them again. So I went online spending days trying to find these shoes (mine are flip flops) in my search I discovered two things … 1) the soles are rockers and I just read that they are recommended for arthritus 2) the sole is made of a material called EVA. They absorb the shock. I cannot tell you how wonderful these shoes are so do some research of your own and try a pair, keep in mind however that there are two types of rocker soles which treat two types of pain, mine are heel to toe rockers (also totally eliminated my achilles heel problem) and the other is mid to front rocker for different foot pain. Mine settled all my foot pain. This is really worth your while to find try your local walmart after you find the style you like as they were for mine the best price.

May 2, 2013 at 8:54 am
(85) matcha green tea says:

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity on the topic
of unpredicted emotions.

June 11, 2013 at 11:35 am
(86) Garry says:

Hey are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying
to get started and set up my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make
your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

June 21, 2013 at 6:17 am
(87) Dental Care for Needy says:

I tend not to leave a bunch of remarks, but i did a few searching and wound up here Finding Footware With Fibromyalgia.
And I do have a few questions for you if you usually do not mind.
Could it be only me or does it look like some of
the remarks come across like they are written by brain dead visitors?
:-P And, if you are writing on other sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.
Could you make a list of all of your social pages
like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

June 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(88) Michele says:

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was totally right.
This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

July 22, 2013 at 9:03 pm
(89) Fibro101 says:

Shoes:
Crocs do not fit my feet. Birkenstock I used to love – haven’t been able to wear for over two years. Need cushie sole. Feet are not wide but very painful. Toes separate between 2nd and 3rd toe plus metatarsal pain along with bunions. Wore slides from Kohls that were fairly soft but my callus near the bunion starting bleeding like crazy and ended up at doctor who thinks custom insoles would work. So no more slides. So $150 office visit, $200 for insoles, plus shoes estimate $100. This is an expensive illness and thats for one symptom. Easy Spirit and Sketchers mules used to work but the heel heights is too high for my back pain. Thanks for listening.

August 12, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(90) Pamela Wilcoxon says:

Easy Spirit put out shoes this year that has made my life so much better, I bought every style and color they had. If you have foot pain you need to check them out. Several people I know has now tried them. I actually had one come to me in tears thanking me for telling them about these shoes. I know they have been a blessing for me. They also come in wide if you need them.

October 6, 2013 at 8:28 pm
(91) Kim says:

Hi Pamela,

I have been a fan of easy spirit for years, but recently there shoes are not made as cushiony ?? I don’t know if they are using cheaper materials but “antigravity ” is NOT what it used to be :(

Could you tell me what shoe/style # they are? Thanks a bunch

December 22, 2013 at 4:30 pm
(92) Rehana Arain says:

I am dealig with throid myopathy ( My throid dose was too high). At one point I was not able to wear any shoe. I walked barefoot inside the house and used flat flip flops to go for physical therapy. Now my condition is improved a lot and I am able to wear Dansko Janie shoes. They are little heavy bit I feel comfortable to walk.

January 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm
(93) music software for ipad says:

Great blog here! Also your website quite a bit up very fast!
What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink on your host?
I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

February 12, 2014 at 7:53 am
(94) Bev Anderson says:

Crocs around the house. Best thing I have found Fit Flops. Great for nursing as on feet all day. Also wear the sandals and boots. If I am forced to wear anything else I use a memory foam insole..

April 18, 2014 at 10:12 am
(95) Oakley Sunglasses says:

Next time ,I think you should become more confident and passionate.

May 5, 2014 at 11:23 pm
(96) SALE?????? FENDI SHOPPING?? ???? ?????????????7VA270-A7D-LNH says:

Hendong
SALE?????? FENDI SHOPPING?? ???? ?????????????7VA270-A7D-LNH http://www.manutensul.ind.br/file/NVH/fendi-index.html