1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Cold Weather & Pain in Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By February 8, 2011

One of the most common complaints I hear from people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome,especially this time of year, is how awful cold weather can be.  The cold seems to get into our bones and make everything tighten up and ache.  The cold can make our skin hurt, and when we get chilled it can be ridiculously hard to warm back up.

Some recent comments here really underline the problem and also bring up a good question: does it help to move to a warmer climate?  Here's what some people had to say:

"Weather is the biggest offender. I'd love to know if people who live in states where it's warm & dry have fewer symptoms?" -JennyG

"I have to move to Arizona.........winters in the midwest are brutal to fibro for me." -al sleet

"I live in the UK where the weather is often damp and cold, even in summer! We have now bought an apartment in Spain, because after a 'trial run' in a villa there in October 2009, where I found myself in a lot less pain (weather, less stress, less housework, etc.) we decided that it was a much better climate for me!" -Sharon

"I live in southern Arizona where we recently went through and unusual and dramatic cold snap (while everyone else was getting massive snow and ice) which broke many records. I noticed when the front came through my muscles tightened up quickly and the achiness went through the roof.  I moved here from Kansas last year because the changes in barometric pressure and temps were rapid and frequent as well as for the sun which I find very therapeutic. I was quickly reminded of the effects of sudden weather changes on my pain levels." -delere

On the other hand, many of us are heat sensitive, and some are sensitive to both heat and cold.  I'm in that last category, but I find do find heat easier to endure than cold.  I tend to have more pain, more fatigue and less energy in the fall and winter than in the spring and summer, and spring is my best season overall.

Would you move if you thought it would improve your health?  Have you made this kind of move?  What kind of climate have you found most beneficial?  Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Doug Waters/Getty Images

Comments
February 8, 2011 at 6:44 am
(1) Jane says:

I live in Melbourne, Australia which is notorious for “4 seasons in one day” and it doesn’t seem to matter which one of them we’re in, I’m still sick! The heat is worse for me than the cold but both pretty bad.

February 8, 2011 at 7:42 am
(2) Nancy A. says:

I’m sick no matter what season it is, but winter is definitely the worst time of year for me. I’ve had CFS and fibromyalgia for about 25 years. I’ve also had Raynaud’s disease all these years, so that makes it even worse. I’m also hypothyroid. Even on Synthroid, I’m still very cold intolerant. I’m on Social Security Disability now for the last few years, so I no longer have to go out into the cold weather every day, Thank God! But I still can’t wait for spring. I find winter very dreary. Spring helps lift my spirits too, and that’s very important to feeling better overall.

February 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm
(3) schmerni says:

I used to take Synthroid for years. I would get chilled to the bone in the winter, even inside, and found it hard to get warm once I was chilled. I finally found a Dr. who advised that I might want to try a different brand of thyroid medication. I did that and am much better. I did have to change about three times before settling on Armour Thyroid, for now at least. I used to do very well on Unithroid but for some reason that stopped working as well on me. I would discuss trying different brands until you find something that works better for you, with your Dr. It’s a bit of a trial in the beginning but once you find a medication that works better it’s well worth it.

February 11, 2011 at 6:48 pm
(4) Bobbie says:

I live in Indiana and the winters here are unbearable. I waited too long to apply for disability so I’m stuck with a little over $300 in S.S. Thank goodness my husband works and we have insurance through that or I’d be in a real mess. I’d give anything if we could move to a warmer climate as each winter I endure here seem worse and worse. It takes me most of the spring and some of the summer to recover and my fm seems to worsen every year .

February 8, 2011 at 9:43 am
(5) Dana says:

Both heat and cold bother me. I hate winter most because of the lack of light. I have SAD but haven’t used my light box this year because bright lights have been bothering me more lately. I don’t really want to go outside in the cold to get natural light either.

February 8, 2011 at 11:14 am
(6) Lisa says:

The cold is brutal for me. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and while we are pretty temperate most of the year, our winters still get chilly and damp, which wreaks havoc with my pain sensors and achiness. As soon as my kids are done with high school, my plan is to move to AZ as quickly as possible!

February 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm
(7) delere says:

During that freakish cold snap I told you about earlier (re: the article above) for kicks I started digging around for an even better climate.

Here is an idea for those who also have problems with excessive heat. Try San Diego. Their temps and humidity are quite consistent with nighttime lows in the 50′s and daytime highs in the mid 70′s to low 80′s.

February 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm
(8) John says:

I do admit when it’s spring I feel better than winter, but I think growing up in Pittsburgh where it seems like it’s cold 11 months of the year, I’m much more used to it than the heat in Memphis where I live now. I lived in Phoenix for a year, but that was pretty extreme for me.

Why I’d pick winter over summer, especially where I live now where it’s 100 deg F and 100% humidity, is that I can where more clothes when it’s cold, but when it’s so hot I can only do so much. Thankfully I work indoors, I don’t know how I’d survive if not.

February 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm
(9) Xenia says:

Yes I completely agree. Cold weather makes everything hurt worse. It affects my sleep patterns as well.

Also with the scleroderma, I tend to have worse reynaud’s attacks, which I’m positive has similar affect on the rest of my body.

February 8, 2011 at 11:37 pm
(10) m says:

I could get used to either hot or cold temps if they were dry. It’s the constant pressure changes that bother me the most. Plus humidity is a killer.

February 9, 2011 at 2:57 am
(11) Brett says:

My family made the move to southern Arizona, and it was well, well, well worth it. Another plus (besides my love for the scenery–YMMV) is the abundance of sunlight for mood. But you do get a little spoiled in thinking 50 deg weather is freezing; still, objectively speaking, you’ll still be glad even when it is 50 degrees, remembering real severe weather. However, I’m now living in a humid climate which can also be oppressive on energy when it is really hot. CFS people really ought to try to move to a milder climate or migrate with the seasons if they can. Wish I had done it earlier–it’s just not intelligent to subject yourself to brutal conditions, if you have a way out; it’s also generally something good doctors recommend for those of us with chronic conditions.

February 10, 2011 at 9:58 pm
(12) KP says:

Cold definitely makes it worse for me, but actual weather fronts moving through are the worst for me, regardless of humidity or temp. More fatigue, more arthritis pain and more migraines. There is research on migraines that indicates that changes in barometric pressure trigger migraines, maybe it triggers fatigue and body pain, too. Just a thought…

February 11, 2011 at 8:36 am
(13) lloyd says:

I was thinking of moving to the Northwest where some relatives live. Is this a good climate for fibro? I’ve visited in the summer, and August is like beautiful May here.

October 27, 2011 at 1:26 pm
(14) xiqueira says:

The Northwest is really bad for chronic fatigue, MS development and fibro. The summers are great if you have a bright home, but because it is evergreen, it is humid and damp, most definitely in the winter months. Cold that doesn’t leave your bones. This is for puget sound area of course. I left there for drier cold climate and it was much better. I can shield myself better from the cold than a humid cold that seeps into your bones.

February 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm
(15) Ann says:

I live in south Louisiana and the heat is worse for me. The very high humidity and barometric pressure is just awful for me. I dread every year when summertime rolls around. It is very hot and humid here.

February 11, 2011 at 3:48 pm
(16) Chantel says:

I live in northeast Florida, and I can promise — the cold hurts, the barometric pressure drops (I can feel a tropical depression long before it gets close to land), the heat and humidity hurt — it doesn’t matter where you live, you’ll still hurt.

February 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm
(17) sandy clifton says:

I moved from Beavercreek, Ohio to Tucson, Arizona because of my fibromyalgia. The warm weather, very low humidity and dryness has helped a lot. Cold weather lasts about 1-2 months at the most. It is usually cold at night not during the day. Sunny always. My body aches and pain don’t hurt as much. My moods are better because it’s always sunny.

February 15, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(18) delere says:

Hi Sandy,
Below I just posted an additional comment about my problems finding a doctor in Tucson. I like it here for many reasons but am having difficulty finding adequate health care.

Have you had similar issues? If not, do you have any tips on what to do? I really don’t want to move back to colder temps.

February 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm
(19) isabel says:

Well, well well, I would CERTAINLY and immediately move to a warm, even HOT climate, even without the diagnose that you won´t get in Germany officially, in spite of the pain and other symptoms. But what to do when the spouse cannot stand any warmth? Hates hot weather ? When he LOVES the cold, the harsh winters in the mountains? You see…. there are reasons NOT to be able to move, even if you would love to….

February 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm
(20) Gerri says:

I live in Oregon about an hours drive from the coast and even though we don’t have the true 4 seasons, the rain and high humidity get to me. My daughter lives in Arizona and when I stayed there for a month last year I felt SO much better!

February 11, 2011 at 6:32 pm
(21) Abbey says:

I was raised and lived 4.5 decades in N. CA, in the east bay area, and for 7 years in the Sierra foothills. After moving to Las Vegas, NV for 3 years, where my pain was so much better from the low humidity levels, as well as the heat, of the desert. Last year, I moved back to the bay area; I was in so much pain! I spent 8 months there, and 6 of them were in terrible pain. I knew I had to move back to Vegas in the first month of living there. The last 2 months I spent there I took a strong opoid twice daily to avoid the horrible pain, and it helped. I’ve since moved back to Las Vegas, in fact just last week; I’m so happy to be back! I’m never leaving here again!! The cold and wind during late Fall and Winter are hard, but NEVER as hard as everyday was up there! Make a change if you can! I feel I have a life here, not so in the fog and clouds near the ocean in N. CA.

April 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm
(22) Tim says:

thank you… thank you…. thank you….
I suffer from Fybro and arthritis… on disability and always sick…. july and august are the only good months in Oregon so We are moving in September to Las Vegas because of your post…

February 11, 2011 at 6:34 pm
(23) amy sundquist says:

The change of seasons, oncoming storms, cold temps, and humidity have gotten so much worse for me the past 2 years. I’m 50ish and have had fibro, osteoarthritis for over 30 years, but Raynaud’s & Vertigo are more recent. (currently in Northeast usa) My Dr. told me I should consider moving. At this point I am open to any place on the planet that is more dry and temperate and not a big city.

When I think of how scary it is for me to just pick up and relocate by myself – I always try to tell myself that I can move back (family in NE area) if it isn’t for me. Thanks for all the postings…

October 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(24) FibroRN says:

Hi Amy. Everything you say is so right on for me, except I’m 40ish (which, from here, just looks like 10 more years of living like this :( . The idea of moving is scary for me too. Maybe we should all start a fibro/cfs/Raynaud’s/etc. commune in AZ & keep each other company! :-)

February 11, 2011 at 7:00 pm
(25) Linnya says:

I can not stand the cold, it has got to be the worst.

February 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm
(26) Tammie says:

@Delere,

San Diego is my dream climate, & before getting sick I visited there several times and loved it……..but it is way way way out of my price range (am on SSDi and cannot afford basic living expenses anywhere, but southern CA is one of the most expensive palces in our country)

@everyone,

I cannot tolerate heat or cold…..in between about 63 and 73 is the range where weather does not have much negative impact – anythign above or below and I feel significantly worse…

..unfortunatley though, heat makes me pass out and have other issues that make it impossible for me to function at all, so if I have to choose between the two I go with colder….my family all moved to Florida and even though I used to love the heat and would have been so happy with the idea of moving there, since getting sick that has become impossible, so I have stayed in the Midwest (and I might add that digging out from the snow compounds the pain that the cold causes)

February 11, 2011 at 9:49 pm
(27) shhh it's a secret... says:

I have a long standing offer from my very best friend in the world to move from the Philly suburbs and live with her and her husband in Arizona…I was broken hearted when they moved there from this area, so the idea is very tempting and sounding better every day.

February 12, 2011 at 11:43 am
(28) teresa peachee says:

I used to live in Iowa for thirtynine years..i moved to so. cal. sixteen years ago and now that I have fibro. I realize now that I’ve had it much longer than I ever realized.. The weather is one of the major triggers of my life… The cold is brutal on me!!!Im cold if the temp. is below 70. I love the heat but only tolerate it at small doses.. The WIND real trips me out..I believe its all the debri and dirt in the wind…swirling around bringing up germs and what have you from the earth… Also when its foggy or beginning to rain OUCH my whole body hurts..

February 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm
(29) weeroo says:

I did move for the warmer weather, from Michigan to SW Florida. So much better, except the humidty started to really bother me when hot flashes started. Even airconditioning can’t take it all out. And when storms and fronts move through I get achy and slow. But sinus totally went away!

February 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm
(30) Heather says:

I live in San Diego (inland where 100 degrees is normal in summer). The heat is a killer to me. But the changes in weather seem to really bother me also. I think the cold would probably set me off too. Oh well.

February 12, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(31) Elegiamore says:

I have CFS, fibro and severe POTS. I live in the SE because the cold DESTROYS me. It increases pain and
worsens my POTS to the hospitalization/ICU point. I’m a shut-in in Jan. and Feb. to boot.

I feel for those whose spouses won’t move to protect their health, just for reasons of their own personal preference.
My husband prefers an alive wife with reduced suffering, to his desire to move elsewhere.

Heat: as a native Southerner, maybe I am just acclimated to it, but I can always get in the A/C if I’m hot…but never can warm up once I am cold. And I can leave the house when it’s hot, unlike when cold. So what if I syncope/faint once each summer?

February 12, 2011 at 10:36 pm
(32) Shawn Thomas says:

I live in Indiana. The cold weather is brutal on me and my son.
We are both disabled because of Fibro and CFS.
We are moving to the Phoenix area in Arizona on the 23rd of Feb.
Our new home has a pool. We are very excited about the move. I will write more after our move and let you all know if the warm weather is making us feel better. I am sure it will.

February 16, 2011 at 9:53 am
(33) Tom says:

Shawn Thomas, I am considering moving to the Phoenix area to relieve symptoms from my CFS and Fibro. I would be very interested in whether your move there succeeds in helping you and your son with your symptoms. I would also love to hear from others who have moved to that area as well. I am particularly interested in whether the summer heat is tolerable for you. Good Luck!

February 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm
(34) Carmen 388 says:

I live in Clearwater, FL and the heat and humidity make my fibro symptoms so much worse. I, too, am a shut in during the summer months. My theory is that more humidity allows for less oxygen making it harder for me to breathe. Considering a move.

February 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(35) Misty says:

I live in Tennessee, where we experience massive weather fluctuations. I seem to have less pain and fatigue in warmer months, but the heat and humidity of July and August is often as bad as the 3 degree temps we have recently had. Also, no matter what the temp, I have more pain as rain moves in..I’m like a human barometer.

February 14, 2011 at 2:30 am
(36) mAX says:

I live in a valley sounded at the tail end of the rockies and i too notice that when the low presure comes my pain does also and i have spent some time in Floriada, i tell you i feel young and alive, pain free. and i am a male age 42 been diagnosed with Fybro and RA.

February 14, 2011 at 5:29 am
(37) dollar - South Afirca says:

i hear you all and i agree with you. I leave in South Africa (Cape Town. Our weather is not that cold or too hot, today is very and guess what i’m in pain. Too me both weathers are bad but winter is too bad. At work they don’t believe me when i say i have pains 24/7, some people say i’m lazy to work or i don’t do enough.It used to hurt me but not anymore. FM affects my life big time, i’m 37 no child and alsi don’t wish to have one. In winter i’m stiff and my mom helps me to wash and dress myself. I find it difficult to cope even with studies. to me it’s better when it cool and for how many days. Thank you all for sharing your stories this is the only way that keeps me going and stron. I know that on my side it is summer now and i don’t limp. In winter i limp and now people stops me everytime how do i do. People are so insensitive they don’t know what really hurt or brings you down. It’s even worse that no one knows my condition. This column is a life saver for me.

February 14, 2011 at 11:33 am
(38) Margo says:

Maybe I’m an oddball here, but I find that cold and wet (worse than cold and dry) affect my fibrofog more than my pain levels. Since there seen to be less remedies (none that I’ve found effective for me), I avoid cold and wet like the plague. I HATE fibrofog.

I don’t know how cold and snow might affect me, but cold and rain are definitely bad, bad, bad. Warm and rain doesn’t affect me much, just a tad bit more pain sometimes.

In the last couple years the main things that have increased my pain are: sudden and traumatic stress (loosing a job suddenly because I couldn’t come back to work full-time quick enough after major spinal surgery, despite there being no other complaints about my work) and being taken off Provigil and malic acid. Since both of these help especially with fatigue, it seems that fatigue might be more of a trigger for pain for me and weather. I was off the Provigil once due to an insurance issue and the malic acid because of poor record keeping (I thought I had another bottle).

I live in Florida which is mostly hot and humid. I know that some people with FM can’t tolerate high humidity, but it doesn’t seem to bother me. In fact, I have found that steam saunas (even more than dry saunas) actually help. Go figure.

February 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm
(39) Cheryl says:

Please…I would like to know if anyone with ME/CFS/FM is having a real bad time of it this winter!!! I have been sick since 1989. I have to say this flare of symptom’s is probably the worst in at least 5 yrs. if not longer. I need to hear from the rest of you so I don’t feel so alone. I’m having a hard time coping with symptom’s that I haven’t had in yrs. I can’t believe some of them are back. Actually, alot of them are back. So much pain! I’ve been in this flare for about 6 wks. now and I know from the past I just have to wait it out but it is sooo hard. I would love to hear from you. Thank’s

February 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm
(40) Bobbie says:

You aren’t alone! My symptoms have been worse every winter but this is the most painful by far. I haven’t been out of my pj’s for several weeks now, all I seem to be able to do is sleep when my insomnia isn’t keeping me awake all night. I’ve also had a lot of problems with my digestion and IBS. A new one for me is kidney problems probably from having to go and hurting so much I don’t want to get up and walk to the bathroom. I’ve been holding it till I can’t wait any longer before going and I just read this is very bad to do. My fatigue is also the most severe it’s ever been. Hang on and try to keep in mind that the winter is almost over and spring is just around the corner.
Gentle hugs ;-)

October 28, 2011 at 9:36 pm
(41) Betty says:

You are not alone, Cheryl!! this last winter about tore me up!!! I live in Mid Michigan and the winters can really be brutal!! I would love to be a snowbird..living in beautiful Michigan in summer and Arizona in winter. The pain of fibro can really tear u up. Hang in there Cheryl!!!

February 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm
(42) Jade says:

Im 30, I live in the mountains of Maine and I suffer so much. I was diagnosed with Fibro & Psoriatic Arthritis about 10 years ago. My life has gone down the toilet especially the last 5 years. I find that I’m very intolerant of the hot and cold temperatures. Id like to find somewhere that stays between 50 and 75 degrees year round. The weather changes fast around here. Some days we start with heat on, then put the a/c on then go back to heat. There is always random rain/thunder/snow storms moving through and it gets so cold in the winter. I don’t ever recommended living in Maine if you suffer from fibro and arthritis.

February 15, 2011 at 7:26 am
(43) Cheryl says:

Thank’s Bobbie! I’m sorry you’re in a flare too. It was interesting that you mentioned the bladder/kidney thing. I have had the same, with feeling lower abdominal pressure, aching burning pain and feeling like I have to pee all the time. The fatigue is horrible. Gland’s are swollen all over and every muscle and joint hurt. I have also lost my appetite which never happens to me. I love to eat. Right now I have no interest in food. I’ve been tested for UTI twice. Both were fine. I will be so glad when this season passes and takes at least some of these symtoms with it! Hang in there. :-)

February 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(44) delere says:

I’d like to make an additional comment about the apparent appeal of Arizona.

Although I stated earlier the climate here is great (I don’t have problems with the dry heat) there are other things to consider about Arizona and fibromyalgia.

I moved here from Kansas last year. In Kansas I had good doctors and specialists who treated me with respect. My experience with doctors here has been poor. I am on SSDI and Medicare and it has taken me 6 months to find a doctor who is willing to even see me knowing I have fibromyalgia. The first PA I saw (who doesn’t work directly under an MD – apparently legal here) can prescribe clonazapam (2mg daily before bed to sleep) which I have been on for years, nor hydrocodone 5/500 that I take only occasionally for bad flair ups (annual average of 1 pill/week). When I asked if she could prescribe cyclobenzaprine which I use less than the hydrocodone she was quite perturbed and only gave me a prescription for five tablets.

She did refer me to a neurologist who suggested ECT for fibromyalgia after less than a five minute visit. Shocked and disgusted I started calling around again for a doctor. The Medicare list is horribly inaccurate for the area anyway. I did find one doctor accepting patients and Medicare as payment in full, but when he found out I was a ‘pain patient’ I was told he wasn’t accepting anymore of those. After another few hours of calling doctors offices I found another doctor who take Medicare as payment in full. The nurse asked what medications I was on and was literally horrified I occasionally take hyrocodone for pain.

In talking to others here I have learned there is in general an attitude here among health care professionals that fibromyalgia is not to be taken seriously and that the prescriptions of any type of narcotic, even for as needed use as opposed to regular use, is highly frowned upon.

Despite the positive benefits of the sun I am seriously considering moving back to NE Kansas and possibly buying an infrared sauna.

There may be doctors here who do not take Medicare as payment in full that will do their jobs, but I am on a fixed income and can’t afford the much higher bills.

All I am saying is do your research before moving away from healthcare providers you like.

February 17, 2011 at 6:01 am
(45) Kelly says:

I currently live in NJ and I am miserable. I dream about moving to a warmer climate every day, however, my husband won’t move away from his family, so I suffer. I guess I am going to have to hope for another answer. : )

February 17, 2011 at 6:56 pm
(46) Fran says:

Thanks so much Adrienne for your blog. It has given me hope and information. I am truly in your debt.

As for the cold, I live in Massachusetts and it really limits my activities in winter. The increase in pain is substantial and the extra effort dealing with the weather really exhausts me. Also, the cost of keeping the heat on higher is substantial these days. So we are looking for a place in Florida during the winter. I think that even though traveling twice a year is very debilitating, it will be worth it. I will miss my friends and family though.

Thanks again.

February 27, 2011 at 10:52 pm
(47) Catherine says:

I have suffered with CFS for over 20 years and lived in the UK, I always complained the cold weather was worse for me but don’t think people believed me. I also now have FM and SAD, I hate the dark winter nights. We moved from UK to Kuwait last year and my CFS has hardly bothered me, I still suffer with FM but nowhere near as bad as it was in the UK. The temperatures here can reach 60 deg C in the height of summer and it is a dry heat so much much better for me.

September 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm
(48) Sandi says:

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 4yrs ago in Minnesota. I have moved to Texas since then…..and I find that my Fibromyalgia is alot worse down here.

October 29, 2011 at 12:26 am
(49) Patrick says:

I lived most of my life in the tri state area. My FMS diagnosis was after I moved out to CO & back to NJ but I will be moving to AZ. The winters here , even the fall as we speak are nailing me to my chair- it’s horrible. I am sooooo barometer sensitive. Yes , I can & will be moving in the next 2-3 years AZ here I come.

October 29, 2011 at 12:37 am
(50) Dallas Johnson says:

It’s interesting to me that a lot of people on this forum,refer to barometric changes affecting them.Why, where do they draw this conclusion? I am able to feel the changes 4-5 days out.When they had the 4 day forecast I was ahead of the meteorologists in feeling a change.Now with the 7 day prediction,sometimes I am right and they are not.Increasingly, I have become affected with volcanic effects and accompanying weather conditions too.I live in Melbourne Australia,so effectively I must be picking up vibes from Perth, as much of our weather emanates from the West of Australia, and beyond.Now it seems to me, that 3000klms. away is too far for barometric change to be the answer here.Continued.

October 29, 2011 at 12:55 am
(51) Dallas Johnson says:

in n and s hemispheresContinuation ;It seems to me to be likely that it is the positive and negative charges that are involved here.In banks of air one charge moves toward the other, but the ions have to be situated so lightning and thunder, ice rain and snow can form under the varying conditions that they form under.Cyclones hurricanes, tornadoes etc spin because of the air being charged in relationship to the outer air masses and you could study this in detail if u wish,however suffice to say,that I think and FEEL that it is this activity,that’s what is behind the changes in barometric pressure,rather than just pressure change itself.I believe Gravity is involved, with the earth’s rotation too.The Air forming our winds spin in opposite directions in N. and S hemispheres.

October 29, 2011 at 8:10 am
(52) amy says:

Hi Dallas,

I agree with u. I think it is easier to make a connection between the FM/CFS or RA pain and air pressure, rather than ion levels. It is also a description that people understand more. If I started discussing body and atmosphere ion exchange correlation, they’d just think I’m batty. I think my body doesn’t regulate ion levels correctly and when the atmosphere ion levels start to shift my pain and bone crushing “pressure” increases.

I appreciate your post and have long wondered why my body processes weather and stress changes so poorly. And, more importantly what can I do to improve this condition? I live in NE USA and wonder about moving to a more stable climate. What are your thoughts? Have a good day, Amy

October 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm
(53) Seawilc says:

I live close to Winnipeg, Manitoba and the weather here is brutal for my fibro. I have both cold and heat sensitivity,; the weather changes here can be drastic. The winters are absolutely horrible, and the pains and fatigue definitely get worse with the cold. Unfortunately it doesn’t warm up here until end of May/June. We have had terrible summers lately, with lots of wind and rain, making symptoms worse. If I have fibro fog chances are when I check the barometric pressure it has dropped! My best month seems to be September, as that is the month with the least fluctuations. I also have SAD, Raynaud’s, which worsens cold symptoms. I am definitely looking to move to the West (Alberta/BC) as soon as I can afford to; it is hard to tolerate the conditions here.

January 13, 2012 at 8:30 am
(54) Misty says:

I agree with all your posts! Its hard to find a happy medium when it comes to the pain of these conditions. I myself am affected by cold damp weather and also humid hot weather.But the cold is the worst and pressure changes as well! Thank u all for sharing your experiences its very helpful to the rest of us who suffer in silence

April 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm
(55) Tina says:

I live in the Bay Area in California. I have fibromyalgia and chronic severe sleep apnea. UGH what a mess. Winter is the worse for me. And we do not get snow or hard winters. Rain and cold and damp. Kills me. Summertime kills me too. But more tolerant in the summertime. Before diagnosed I just thought I had really bad arthritis and I was different because it hurt so bad in the summer. This winter is terrible. Nothing takes the pain away. The medicine is for what I do not know. I don’t see a difference. So for me I think I would be better somewhere that is warm all the time. I feel in a constant flare up. It is getting harder and harder to work. wish the best to everyone.

May 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(56) diane says:

I’m convinced that a hot, dry climate is best (for me anyway). I lived in Northern Mexico for 4 years and never had pain from my Fibro. Have endured migraines my entire life, again in 4 years I had 1. I moved back to Virginia & though it was summer and definitely as hot as Mexico, the humidity started the pain & flare ups – we had a “mild” winter and I thought I’d be in bed for months. Terrible! I need to move before winter returns. I’m in my 50′s, single with 2 dogs. Is anyone looking to relocate who might be interested in undergoing this adventure together. I’m considering New Mexico

May 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(57) this says:

You realize thus significantly in the case of this subject, made me personally imagine it from numerous varied angles. Its like men and women are not involved unless it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs great. All the time deal with it up!

July 25, 2012 at 3:45 am
(58) jackson says:

at winter time is when by wife complains a lot even to sleep is a problem , until when she takes 1 lyrica 75 is when she feels nice and gets sleep. this illness is not know by many doctors . to me i just got it from internet after going a very tough months through hospitals . no result were giving she was just told she is okay at hospitals.

July 28, 2012 at 11:48 pm
(59) lenilee says:

I was healthy as a horse until I moved to Minnesota 12 yrs ago – after 1 yr of living here I was dx with FM, then CFS, honestly I don’t think the docs knew what was wrong with me – last yr they discovered that my mus le enzymes are way too high (but not so high as to warrant a polymyositis dx, thank god). Migraines go on for days. (I feel like a hypochondriac recounting this).

The weather here is horrible, hot and humid (and buggy) in summers, freezing cold in winters, maybe 8 weeks a year the weather is tolerable. My husband – who telecommutes and could work anywhere in the States he wants – won’t consider moving, even if we have no family in this state (I’m from Europe). I am so miserable, sometimes I wish I just would disappear.

August 25, 2012 at 4:09 am
(60) annaJo says:

Hi..Moved to Ga from Michigan…felt better. but was so homesick for my childern…i moved back….apt is cold and damp, and now I am stuck.here. Heart happy, body acking….so no one any more can tell me this is all in my mind..yes a dr. did tell me fyo is a mind game…..wish I could just make my apt one big dry sauna……does any one have an ideal on this….any helpful suggestions…got a dehumidfier…little help…not enought…sigh

October 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm
(61) lorraine says:

the cold is what I have found to be the worst for me I not only hurt from fibro but also have other problems but when that cold gets deep into my bones its like there is nothing you can do to ease it. I would love to find a place that is not a high cost of living area and not a high crime area I would move ASAP but till then west Tx is home

November 3, 2012 at 1:08 am
(62) Lora says:

I live in central Fla.
doesn’t get as cold her as up North but the fronts give me horrible pain, as does lower pressures as in hurricanes. Just recently Hurricane
Sandy went by on her way to New Jersey and NY and I started hurting, then a cold front came down and I had even more pain. Finally went to My Water Areobics class thinking the 93 plus warm water would help my pain. Water was 89 and now I am in more pain that ever. Don’t think Fla would be any help.

December 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm
(63) Sue says:

I’ve lived in San Diego for over 20 years and the cold winter weather here makes me hurt a lot. Any place I go that has a cold climate, causes me pain. We had thought about moving to AZ, but we don’t like the desert plus our allergies are worse there. I guess we’ll just stay here.

December 29, 2012 at 11:51 am
(64) Kathy H. says:

I’m glad I found this site. I just was dx with fibro this year, but I know I have had it for a long time. I now live in NE Arkansas, from s ca. Hubby lost his job, and tried for a couple yrs to find another. We lost our home, and most all of everything in it. My problem is this winter is so much worse on me than ever before, this is why I finally went to a rheumatologist. But I also have MS, so it’s very hard to find a good place. Ms does not get along well with the heat, so I suffer badly all year.
We are only in Ar, cause this is where his mom lives, and we “live” with her. Stress is on overload here, and I miss my sons and gson so badly. I have spent more time in bed, and crying from depression and pain. I had such a severe UTI, with NO symptoms, I fell all the time, my knees just gave out. I ended up in the hospital for a total of 3 weeks, and it’s still there, been 5 months. Not that I’m happy that you all hurt so much, but I at least know it’s not all in my head. I have never been in such bone crushing pain before. TC, and I hope it gets better for everyone.

December 29, 2012 at 11:22 pm
(65) Veronica says:

Thank you for posting all your comments.:) I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and I am in so much pain right now. It has been very cold & snowing & this has made my symptoms almost unbearable. I just graduated from nursing school & me & my daughter are thinking of moving. I don’t want to leave my family & friends, but I believe that I have to. Arizona or New Mexico sound like good options now. I was considering them anyways, but this really helped me in making a decision.:) Wish you all well.:) Your Fibro. friend, Veronica:)

January 2, 2013 at 4:24 am
(66) Ana says:

We FM people suffer from pain and we have a hard time with our partners at home, with friends, children, jobs, weather. For me is extremely hard to be a mom and provider when I can hardly get up from bed. I live in So Cal and I think what bothers me the most is “stress”. Just think about it, if I had a house paid off, a bank account well fed, stability, and good health insurance, all I had to worry is manage my symptoms. With the living expenses of CA it will never happen. I’m ready to move somewhere cheaper, easy-going, somewhere to full fill my tranquility.

January 7, 2013 at 10:59 am
(67) liat says:

i wriily want to move but i am divoreced and my ex hudsband wont let me move to miami . i wonder if i can prove in court that i have to move to a wormer climet for my health ,this way i will be able to move with my kids?

January 22, 2013 at 3:32 pm
(68) Michelle says:

I am Lived in Arizona for 15 years it is the place to be if you have FM
Ia had to move back to Canada 2005 and the winters when really cold like today -15 degrees I have a large dog who I take out for an hour or to every day. That is difficult for me but that is my life and I will just make the best of it.

March 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm
(69) Mick says:

I live in Seattle. Summers are beautiful here, and I love Washington. But the cold makes my whole body hurt. And the lack of light effects me as we’ll. I would love it if I could live someplace warmer about 6 to 8 months of the year. But I have a salary job with medical benefits, and that’s hard to walk away from right now. I don’t tolerate heat well either, 70′s and 80′s would be perfect for me. I was in Las Vegas, and felt great their, not much pain at all, but all back again returning to Seattle. I don’t think a lot of people understand how we feel, they think we’re a bunch of winers, but climate makes a huge difference physically and mentally for me. Hope I can figure out a way to stay in the sun one day.

May 6, 2013 at 9:00 am
(70) pattie says:

i live in southern california desert area and my bones hurt all the time, we are having a cold snap and rain and i hurt so bad i can’t stand it, this is may so what is instore for me this winter ? i need to find something that is going to help me this winter i’m always cold, we have a cooler and i freeze even though its turned down. this pain can be off the charts at times. some doctors don’t believe you and some do but i know what i go through and its not fun but i try to keep a good outlook and keep moving as much as possible , please share any thoughts on your pain and things you might do to help your pain. thanks

June 11, 2013 at 12:58 am
(71) Lollylaurie says:

For the past nine months my life has been turned upside down! I have read through all your comments, I live in The Midwest Missouri. I have been in pain this whole time muscle spasms twitching burning limited mobility in my left arm. Back and forth to the doctors office doctor would give me Naproxin and Flexerils nothing works! More tests my Vitamin D level is at a 7 I now take 5000 units once a week, my CRP levels are elevated no one can give me answers. I just came back from Los Cabos Mexico I felt the best I have in 9 months in that climate still had pain but very minimal I ballooned up with water retention but was still able to enjoy my vacation, now back in Missouri I am in excruciating pain! My joints bones legs neck is killing me! I am off to a rheumatologist July 2nd it seems I have all the symptoms all of you are discussing! My doctor seems more tests are needed she believes it’s the onset of MS! My work family and partner thinks it’s all in my head I am a very sane active 46 yr old normally this I can’t seem to fight or get rid of I’m afraid and still no answers I’m tired falling asleep at work tested my Thyroid and its normal, I have insurance but still the co pays time off work and deductibles are killing me! I’m starting to believe I’m crazy and its in my head! I just hope MRI and spinal tap can help shed light on what is going on with me! I take vitamins eat healthy and have gained 60lbs in 9 months because my energy is zapped from me! My hair which was beautiful golden long locks have been falling out and listless! Once a vixen in bed now I feel like handicap person I just don’t want to move! Please keep me in your prayers as I will pray for you all! Thank you for listening

June 12, 2013 at 10:49 pm
(72) carolyn says:

Wow-Just stumbled on this site. I too have FM &CFS. I was bitten by one or more Deer Ticks back in 1988 & my life has been a living hell since. The Lyme Disease was misdiagnosed for 3 years-leaving a lot of damage. I have a good medical support system here in WI-however, I cannot tolerate the climate & its many changes. I have to work to stay out of the street & found a work from home job online (low low pay!!)-but cannot hold up out there in the working world-would get fired within 1 week,as I have to take time off during the day to rest-sometimes diving right in the bed with day clothes on. I have severe-knock em to the floor muscle spasms & now added balance problems. I have broke the bank to try get my old self back & it is not happening. I too have been checking different areas of the country out & I always end up with Arizona. I hate to leave my family- just do not know how much longer I can hold on to my sanity. Guess I had better be careful using that word, as for many years everyone thought I was a head case. I too put in some depressing times-not even wanting to see the next day. Yes, it would be nice to have a CFS/ FIRBO community in AZ-where we could help each other on one of our so called good days & visa versa. Just making it from month to month financially-which adds to the stress level. Stress really creates more pain,etc. for me.If anyone wants to e-mail me to chat-that would be great-family support is little to nothing.I need to connect with people who are walking in my shoes. Enough

July 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm
(73) Rosie says:

I live in ND and am 67 years old. Four years ago I made a temporary move to Mesa AZ looking for relief from my fibromyalgia. I was there from the beginning of Oct. until the end of Jan. I experienced temps from 60-102. I didn’t notice any change in fibro or # of flare ups. I moved back to ND where the winters are brutal and more often than not to windy for me. We high temps with humidity which definitely causes problems for me. I have thought about San Diego. I hope to go there in winter 2014 just to see what it is like. I noticed that there are several web sites for support groups in San Diego for fibro people. I think the weather has a huge impact on how I feel. Anybody out there who has fibro, lives in San Diego, and has found relief please get back to me.
RD

October 11, 2013 at 6:19 am
(74) abigail robinson says:

….It’s really poigniant to hear how difficult it is for most of us to get correct appropriate medical and financial support, let alone social understanding and acceptance. It is not surprising that some of us take our own lives. My own situation is exascerbated by the cold and damp of a British autumn but I remember suffering from the extremes of heat in Montana during the summer. A new country would carry its own risks and I have now the community support of many years here. I am better at communicating what my abilities and limitations are and I have been fortunate to meet empathetic people who have shown me warmth and understanding.

October 27, 2013 at 11:00 pm
(75) Wanda says:

I live in Northern Michigan and have Severe Fibromyalgia and RA and am in the worse pain imaginable most of the time. I can feel a weather change coming on two days before it hits. My husband says he can tell what days are better for fishing just by my symptoms Lol. I really feel bad for those whose spouse will not make a move for the health of those suffering. My doc says I should move to Arizona. My husband is in the process of trying to get everything fixed on our house to put on the market so he can move me to Az. It is a big move for us also as both of our families live in N Michigan and we will be leaving the only place we have ever lived but he can’t stand seeing me in pain and so will do whatever it takes to make it better for me. That is called Love

November 13, 2013 at 7:18 pm
(76) Pam says:

I moved to Southwest FL in 1996 to escape the cold weather of IL……. The moist heat helped tremendously with the muscle pain from Fibromyalgia. By 2009 it had been increasingly hard to be outside in the heat and if I was in direct sun I would get sick. My doctor had added a medication that said to stay out of the sun but the meds were working for other things so I did what I could to avoid the direct sun. By 2012 the heat began to make me sick as well. It was difficult to enjoy any short time in the heat so I began to stay inside most of the time and more depression set in. Here I am back in IL, due to my changing symptoms in the climate and for family reasons. I believe symptoms changes due to where those of us with Fibro live is going to be different from one person to another depending on what other conditions we have, the meds we take and probably much more than I could ever understand. I’m avoiding anything that causes me to get that bone cold feeling I dread so much and looking forward to the mild summers here in IL. Fortunately the home I live in has lots of sunlight from the many windows and I am enjoying the sunlight from inside on the cold, damp days. meanwhile I am still searching for super warm, lightweight, long Parka. LOL

November 14, 2013 at 1:50 am
(77) Rea says:

I suffer with hot and cold weather, I sweat really bad when it is cold and when it is hot I don’t sweat at all, so when out in the sun it feels like I am being cooked alive. I agree spring is the best time of the year for me perfect temperatures I would love to know the best place to live when you have fibromyalgia.

November 14, 2013 at 1:56 am
(78) Cheryl-Ann says:

Where you live isnt the problem. I have lived in the Northwest, the Midwest and the east coast. I presently live in Arizona where the temps are over 100 degrees several months of the year. The heat can exhaust you faster than anything I have experienced. You will ache in the cold, you will ache in the heat. I find that I have more headaches in the Midwest, more exhaustion in the humidity and/or high heat.

It is what it is and HOW we choose to deal with it is the issue.

Personally, I prefer the snow and chill temps.

November 14, 2013 at 12:46 pm
(79) Kathy Ann says:

Hi!! I say that with a smile under the pain and stifness. I live here in the foothills of Chattanooga. Someone mentioned that a damp cold is worse than a drier cold. It’s true. I lived in Illinois, Rockford to be exact and it’s colder but not near as bad as it is here in the south. I woke up this morning so sore and stiff I barely make it to the bathroom on time (if you know what I mean). It hurst so bad I have to lay back down and stretch just to feel like getting up for the day. It’s cold here now, but I have to walk my dogs, visit my mother and do mu daily chores. When the fatigue sets in I have to pay to have to dogs walked and my recliner is my retreat for days if not a couple of weeks before I have to make myself get up and go. The heat here is aweful, I hate summer! you can feel it when a storm is coming, a damp heat is bad on the bones, the cold is horrible on everything including the metal plate and screws in my leg. IF I could I would try to move back to ILL. but with my family being here, I have to stay, grin and bare it the best I can. I’m 57 and prayerfully I’ll make it a long life, and thank God I don’t have anything worse to deal with. So in this I’m saying, Thank you Lord for this not being worse than it is. So many people have so many things worse than Fibro to deal with, so if this is MY worst, I’ll accept it and smile!! Gentle Hugs to all Fibro souls.

November 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm
(80) Teresa says:

We live in Kansas and I agree with delere’s comment. The weather changes so frequently that I find in the late summer until mid spring I’m in constant pain. I have to hold out until we retire before moving south, which is 20 years away. God please help me get through the next 20 years.

November 28, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(81) Charlie says:

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and
I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

my homepage – ____ __ ___ (<a href=”http://www.asheghi4u.com/nike-air-jordan-3-retro-fire-red-136064-120%E3%83%8A%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AD-%E3%82%A8%E3%82%A2-%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A7%E3%83%BC%E3%83%80%E3%83%B3-3-%E3%83%AC%E3%83%88%E3%83%AD-%E7%99%BD%E9%BB%92%E8%B5%A4-13.html”>Charlie</a>)

December 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm
(82) SarahLynn says:

Lollylaurie,

Has your rheumatologist considered antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) aka Hughes syndrome? Your story sounds reeeeeally familiar.

I also have intracranial hypertension, osteoarthritis (diagnosed at 23), asthma, GERD, migraine, exertion headaches and, obviously, fibromyalgia. Vitamin D stays low. After those giant doses (something like 60,000 IU?), I still have to take 5000 IU per day or I drop below ‘sub-normal’. What are our bodies doing with this vitamin D?!

Sorry for the off-topic post.

I got here because it’s cold in Indiana and everything ramped up during last night’s snow and icestorm.

December 10, 2013 at 5:40 am
(83) Trisha says:

Veronica I moved from Sioux Falls SD in April 2013 due to a really painful winter from my fibro. I moved to Arizona and my pain this winter is not near as bad. The summer was really hot and miserable but didn’t effect my pain. I will never go back to the cold. Also there are cold areas in AZ. Pretty much anything North of the Phoenix area can get cold in the winter. Stay away from those areas if you want mild winters

December 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm
(84) __ _____ __ says:

Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one
and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam feedback?

If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can
recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any assistance is
very much appreciated.

January 4, 2014 at 9:44 am
(85) Rekha says:

Hi All, I live in Bangalore, India, I , like all of u suffer during the cold weather and boy am I glad to know that there are others who suffer like I do, I cannot move to a warm place because both of us My husband and me work here, maybe after we retire from work. Thank You for the Blog, it is so very helpful..

January 6, 2014 at 11:06 pm
(86) ___ _____ ___ says:

You have made some good points there. I checked on the internet to find
out more about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.

My weblog – <a href=”http://www.basketstotreasure.com/canada-goose-%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A%E3%83%80%E3%82%B0%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9-2013-fall-winterladies-citadel-color-black-5p13oct13-b.html”>___ _____ ___</a>

February 12, 2014 at 7:19 am
(87) NataLee says:

I currently live in mid coast Maine. DO NOT move to Maine if you have FM! I moved from Mesa AZ where I lived for a couple years… It was the best I have ever felt, I really want to move back there. Since moving to Maine 2 years ago, my health has absolutely tanked! It is the worst flare ups I have ever experienced. I am in constant excruciating pain not to mention a whole onslaught of every FM symptom… It is beyond horrible! Only thing that has brought me relief is Demerol for the pain, and it is very short lived. Considering a move to Tallahassee FL to be near family. It has to be better than Maine! Anyone with FM live there to give us an idea of what it is like there? Thanks!

February 21, 2014 at 2:21 pm
(88) Judi Copeland says:

I have fibro and raynauds and carpal tunnel along with heart issues. Both cold and hot are torture for me, but the cold is worse especially when coupled with the damp. I live in TN where winters tend to be cold and damp. I stay inside mostly where I can control the temperature; and it works mostly. If it is hot and I have the air conditioner running, my fingers get weird. If it is cold and I have the heat on, I get a prickly rash. It drives me crazy and sometimes I feel pushed to the brink. I find myself wishing I could just jump into a new body. I never realized the degree of misery this could be before I got it. I only heard brief things before about fibro, but I had no clue really what it was.

March 2, 2014 at 11:54 pm
(89) Michelle says:

I was diagnosed in 2007, but was display symptoms as long back as 1998. I just moved from Minnesota to Houston, tx and am grateful fro no longer feeling like my bones are going to crack open from the cold. I still hurt, but I’m not screaming and scaring the dog anymore.
i’ve lived alone now for many years, with only my companion dog for company. I have friends about 20 miles down the freeway here, but limited funds for gas(RSDI) and I know how a person constantly enduring the varied symptoms of fibro can wear on others. hell I wear on myself.

Ihave days I am so lonely in this that Ihave pipedreams of finally exiting this world. Thoughts of finally being free from fibro and it’s loneliness.

Idon’t do well reading these forums either, it seems to focus me on every symptom I’m dealing with and the focus is straining too.

I’m tired of dealing with this alone.very tired.

April 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm
(90) sj says:

Hi Diane, I would love to connect with you about possibly moving to new mexico, I live in maine and it is brutal in the long winter months, everyone’s comments are very helpful

April 16, 2014 at 9:40 am
(91) Gainor Hillegass says:

I developed Fibromyalgia 23 years ago in PA. in February. I was 45 at the time. It started with a virus and never left. While I was in the in the midst of extensive testing, winter became Spring, then summer. The arrival of hot weather did me in. I was a pile of sweat soaked mush. I worked outdoors in a garden center, and had to take frequent breaks. During that time, my husband’s company moved us to Tampa, Florida! The heat and humidity here are moderated by frequent rain in the summer, but as the years passed, my heat intolerance made me a shut-in in summers. I can’t stand sunlight on my skin at all. Beaches are out in afternoons.

I like to visit my sons back in PA in WINTER because I love the cold and it doesn’t bother me. I can tolerate it well. I play in the snow!