1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Vitamin D for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By January 25, 2011

Blog Update: Originally Published Aug. 28, 2010

Vitamin D is one of the most frequently recommended supplements for people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, and with good reason. But is your supplement doing enough for you?

Vitamin D is responsible for a host of functions in your body -- bone health, cellular replication, insulin production, immune function, heart heath ... the list goes on and on.† Deficiencies are linked to all kinds of symptoms and illnesses, including chronic pain, muscle weakness, arthritis, diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer, heart disease, multiple sclerosis and autoimmunity.† It also makes you need up to twice as much of an opiate pain killer.

Now get this -- at least one study has shown that about 25% of us with these conditions are deficient.† Odds are good that many more of us aren't technically deficient, but in the lower end of the "normal" range.

For years now, I've been taking 1,250 I.U. of vitamin D every day.† I also make sure to get at least a little sunlight on a regular basis and I try to eat vitamin d-rich foods.† But get this -- my levels are consistently in that low end.† Some researchers believe we have problems properly absorbing nutrients, and I have to think there's something to that.

A lot of doctors refuse to treat people who are on the low end, but technically not deficient, when it comes to lots of things (vitamins, hormones, etc.)† Fortunately, my doctor isn't one of them.† My fibromyalgia symptoms are pretty well controlled, yet while several types of pain have diminished, I still have a huge amount of muscle pain.† She looked back at my test results and saw that my vitamin D tended to be barely in range and had me tested again.† The nurse later called to tell me that the "acceptable" range is 30-100, and I came in at 39.† The doctor had told me she's seeing muscle pain drop off in a lot of patients when she gets them up to about 60 or 70.

I've just started a prescription mega-dose of vitamin D -- 50,000 I.U. twice a week for 6 weeks, then 2,000 daily after that, along with periodic re-checks.† After just 2 doses, I have to say, I'm feeling better overall.† My head is clearer, I'm sleeping better, waking up easier, and yes, my muscle pain isn't nearly as bad as it was a few days ago.

Update: 5 Months Later

I wrote this blog back in August 2010, and it's now January 2011.† After I finished off the prescription supplement, I had my vitamin D level checked and it was up in the 60s.† I felt a lot better and started taking 5,000 I.U. a day in an over-the-counter supplement.† A 3-month follow-up test revealed that my level is holding steady there.

In spite of having been on crutches for a few weeks because of a knee injury, and sleeping on the couch to keep my leg elevated, I've only been having minor muscle pain.† The last time I was on crutches, I had a lot more arm, shoulder and back pain, and it stuck around for a lot longer.† I have to believe it's the vitamin D.† I think this is the lowest level of muscle pain I've had in 30 years.

That said, I certainly don't advocate upping your own supplementation to extreme levels!† There's a reason these mega-doses are by prescription only -- too much vitamin D is potentially toxic.† What I do suggest is asking your doctor to check your levels, treat a deficiency, and, if you're on the low end of normal, talk about options.

So what if you're on the lower end and your doctor won't treat you?† Some people may decide to up their supplements, and if that's what you do, please be careful!† Know the side effects of too much and keep a close eye on yourself.† Even if your doctor doesn't agree with what you're doing, TELL HIM/HER ABOUT IT and ask to be rechecked a couple of months down the road.† Decisions about your health care are yours to make, but keeping your doctor informed can help you avoid potentially serious problems.

Get more information, including dietary sources and side effects:

Do you have a vitamin D problem?† Have you been treated for deficiency or being on the low end of normal?† What did it do for you?† Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Anthony Bradshaw/Getty Images

Comments
August 29, 2010 at 9:40 am
(1) Laurie says:

I have been taking Vitamin D, 50,000 IU, once a week, for the last 7 weeks. So far, I have not noticed any difference in the way I feel. Although my numbers were real low, down to 7 at one point, so maybe it will take me a few months to get my numbers up to a normal range and for me to start feeling any better.

August 29, 2010 at 10:35 am
(2) John says:

Laurie, you only have a 7? You could easily take 50K each day for 3 months. In addition, increase your magnesium intake and avoid gluten as much as possible. Best of luck.

August 29, 2010 at 11:27 am
(3) Annie Sisk says:

One thing I’d like more info on is the absorption issue. What supplements and substances will increase absorption rates and which ones will decrease or interfere with absorption? Vitamin D is exciting as a potential avenue to address but as Laura’s comment suggests, it’s hard if not impossible to find the one thing that, alone or in combination, will produce reliable, measurable results. Til then, sometimes I feel like we’re just throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks, you know?

August 29, 2010 at 12:14 pm
(4) Tina says:

When my vitamin D was finally tested, it was less than 7. It wouldn’t even register. High doses of Vitamin D along with Magnesium made a huge difference. I didn’t know about avoiding gluten though. Thanks for that tip.

January 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm
(5) nancy says:

what dosage of magnesium do you take?

August 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm
(6) Berry Banks says:

Vitamin D does so much more for our bodies than previously known. The RDA’s range between 200 IU-600 IU depending on age. Yet the studies are coming in that we need more than that to receive it’s full benefits. Higher doses show improvements in Immune Function, Multiple Sclerosis, Type 1 Diabetes, the Flu, the Common C…old and more…

According to Dr Wentz Vitamin D is perhaps the most important weapon in our body to fight disease-causing free radicals. We should be getting 2000 IU or more daily depending on your levels in your blood. Testing should be done several times a year to check your levels. Don’t forget to get 20-30 minutes of bright sunshine per day without sunscreen.

August 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm
(7) Berry Banks says:

Annie wrote: “One thing Iíd like more info on is the absorption issue. What supplements and substances will increase absorption rates and which ones will decrease or interfere with absorption? ”

You might want to view Dr. Ray Strand’s website at http://www.raystrand.com His Bio: “I have been involved in a private family practice for over 30 years. For the past 12 years, I have focused my practice on preventive and nutritional medicine”

He has been using nutritionals with his patients for many years with great results noticed from most of his patients. He has Fibromyalgia as his featured topic. He recommends High quality and bio-available products that are manufactured with strict pharmaceutical GMP guidelines.

You can also click on my name to view what company & why he chose this company for his patients nutritional needs.

August 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm
(8) Bobbi says:

I have fibromyalgia. When tested last winter I tested on the low side of normal as well, despite drinking lots of milk, eating yogurt daily, taking 650 ius a day and driving a convertible. I’ve added 2000 ius of D3 to what I was already taking and after 6 months, I was in the middle of the normal range. My doc wants to me keep taking 2000 ius indefinitely. I do feel better, less muscle pain especially, but is it the D3 or the Cymbalta and Neurontin I started at the same time?

August 29, 2010 at 6:09 pm
(9) Daniel says:

I did try to take those megadoses of Vitamin D and after about a week, they rendered me rather sick. I still take them but intermittently. I also get the Vitamin D milk (red) and don’t worry about the fat calories. Vegetables and superfood products seem more appropriate to me. When I take those sickening pills, it is because I could not afford to eat enough of the foods I know contain most of the Vitamin D in my diet.

January 31, 2011 at 8:55 pm
(10) Valetudinarian says:

Daniel,
I used to think that the red cap had more Vit. D, it doesn’t!

August 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm
(11) Chris Menard says:

After reading EVERY available document, abstract, research paper, commentary, opinion and tangential research even remotely touching on vitamin D in the last 3 years I can relate the following information:

It is critical to raise one’s circulating vitamin D (25 OH) to the optimal range of 50-80 ng/ml and keep it there for life. This applies to people in good health and not clinically diagnosed with a chronic condition.

For those with a confirmed condition the high end of the optimal range, around 80 ng/ml, is ideal.

30 ng/ml, 25 OH D, is not acceptable despite many references to it being “sufficient”.

It is not sufficient and will not provide the maximum benefit of vitamin D repletion.

Any doctor or physician arguing otherwise does so out of ignorance and is well behind current research findings.

Physician ignorance of vitamin D health is the norm. Therefore do your own research and make your own choices about this most critical health issue.

Vitamin D is a secosteroid and prohormone. It has nothing in common with vitamins except a misapplied name.

Prescription vitamin D is almost always D2 and is to be avoided. ALL over the counter D3 supplements are superior in every measureable aspect to prescription vitamin D2. D2 is only 50% as bioavaliable to the human body. D2 is an artificial form of vitamin D3 and is a remnant of a drug company monopoly from more than 70 years prior.

To repeat, maximum health benefit and alleviation of fibro symptoms will be supported at circulating vitamin D levels above 50 ng/ml, 25 OH, and preferably at 80 ng/ml, 25 OH.

August 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm
(12) fibro says:

when i first had mine tested it was 12 (while normal is 30-100)..

August 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm
(13) TK says:

The most efficient way to produce Vitamin D is the sun exposure. And FMS/CFS patient don’t get out often to produce enough Vitamin D. No wonder they are deficient. You can’t conclude/infer much from these observational studies.

January 31, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(14) Valetudinarian says:

You may be right about the sun exposure being best, but don’t assume Fibromites stay in all day. I have young kids and spent nearly every day at the pool before the 1st time I had a Vt D level ran and it still came back at 20!

February 1, 2011 at 4:03 am
(15) Mel says:

I had hyperparathyroidism (and UCTD) with high serum Calcium levels and low Vit. D. (The bone pain led me to believe I had bone cancer and no one was finding it!) Long story short, it was 2 years after I had parathyroid surgery, and started on Vit. D3 that I developed fibromyalgia. Today, 2 years after being diagnosed with FMS, I still take Vit.D3 and Calcium supplement. Can’t say I’ve had much relief, but my serum Vit D level is normal.

February 3, 2011 at 11:05 pm
(16) pjwj79 says:

My son has taken 5000 IU a day and plays baseball out in the son for 3-5 hours a day for 5 months out of the year, but his Vit D level hasn’t gone above 30.

August 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm
(17) KiwiRob says:

My husband jokingly suggested I needed my Vitamin D levels testing, as – being awake overnight – I very seldom see sunlight. My doctor was surprised, but agreed….& even more surprised to find it was “at rock bottom”! She has prescribed Vit D3 1.25mg, 1 tablet to be taken once a month(??), but more than a year later my level is still way below the desired minimum.
I have a problem being in sunlight since taking St John’s Wort, which left me photosensitive – acute sunburn after minimal exposure even when the sun is not hot.
I was interested in the comment that we may have difficulty in absorbing nutrients. I had reached this conclusion several years ago, & tried out my theory on the specialist I was consulting at the time. (He later told me he didn’t even believe in M.E./CFS, which after many years of travelling 4 hours weekly to see him was a real slap in the face!)
I am learning a lot from these articles & the comments posted, not feeling so alone after 35 years ME & more recently Fibromyalgia, & no-one to talk to (who know anything about it…)

August 30, 2010 at 11:03 pm
(18) birdmom says:

Twice in the last 2 yrs. my dr. tested my Vit. D levels and they were in the “low normal” range. Both times he prescribed 50,000 IU Vit D, which I took as directed and felt better temporarily each time. I have not had the prescription Vit d for more than 6 months. About 5 wks ago I started using a Vit D3 supplement of 1000 IU twice per day, and altho’ summer heat/humidity make me feel worse than any other time of year, in the last several weeks I have been surprised to discover that my overall pain levels are much better. I still have “hot spots”, and the Vit D3 has not improved “fibro fog” and fatigue, but I’ll take what I can get! I’m hoping that lower overall pain levels will eventually lead to get better quality of sleep, and better sleep quality will have positive effects on other symptoms. One step at a time, remembering that everything is connected.

September 2, 2010 at 2:38 pm
(19) Cured says:

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 3 years ago and today I have absolutely no symptoms. About 2 years ago a doctor finally tested my Vitamin D levels and I was at an 11! He put my on 50,000 IU twice a week for about 2 months. I was able to get off my my antidepressants and stop my twice a week massages. I was functioning again, but still never felt great. I started taking a fermented cod liver oil/butter oil combo with natural Vitamin D (many companies process cod liver oil in such a way as to strip it of natural vitamins and then replace them with synthetic) about a year ago and now feel amazing! My body just doesn’t do well on synthetic Vitamin D. I need the real stuff. I now drink whole raw milk, eat lots of butter, take my Green Pastures cod liver, and use coconut oil as a sunscreen (it doesn’t block Vitamin D absorption). Three years ago I could barely walk at 23 years old, now I’m the healthiest I’ve ever been.

March 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm
(20) sherry says:

I was really encouraged to read you have gotten better. I too just started last week taking the Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil and the high vitamin butter oil and I seem to be improving after suffering for two years from an amazing array of diverse, all intermittent symptoms: extreme fatigue, insomnia, anxiety, muscle aches and pains, excessive urination at night, fatigue, heart palpitations, ringing in my ears, and tingling/prickly feelings in my feet, hands and sometimes in my tongue. At the same time as the above symptoms emerged I started to have another serious problem, sleep apnea (breathing ceased causing multiple wakings). No doctor gave me a definite diagnosis except for the sleep apnea.
Can you tell me your symptoms previous to taking the oil supplements? Have you had the urination and ear ringing problems too? I am so hoping the cod liver oil/butter oil regimen will help me too. Any thoughts?
In the past taking 50,000 units of prescription D 3 for several weeks did NOT seem to help– if anything I felt more anxious and less able to sleep.

Hoping for a Cure

September 3, 2010 at 11:08 am
(21) Cheryl says:

I too was tested recently for Vit D and my level was at 17. My doc prescribed the 50,000 IU supplement once a week for 1

September 3, 2010 at 3:37 pm
(22) kim says:

I was also super low, like a 4, back in November….did the 50,000 once a week for 3 months, retested in the normal range. I felt really great in January then I crashed again in Feb.

September 3, 2010 at 5:52 pm
(23) Karen says:

I started taking Vit D last winter. Living in New Hampshire, we don’t get lots of sun in the winter, and winter is my worst time of the year. I have to say, I have been feeling better since taking the Vit D. However, I have also been taking sleeping pills and using my sleep apnea machine (more than ever before) and I think it has added to my feeling better. I still get very low tired times, and then I get good times. I am still not in balance. But I would highly recommend the Vit D.

September 3, 2010 at 6:04 pm
(24) Bea says:

Vitamin D has not been able to help me at all. I’ve been on it since early last spring. It is an oil soluable vitamin thus can lead to a high build up in the body.

September 3, 2010 at 6:30 pm
(25) Carol Wong says:

I am the same Carol who commented on excessive sweating. I saw a show on PBS that said that most of us don’t get Vitamin D. Also, I have been taking Calicuim with Vitamin D for at least 10 years. When I had the blood test for the M Spike I was referred to an oncologist and he had me take a full body CT scan and there were minute holes in some of my bones and swollen lymph nodes. So, I was referred to a surgeon for a lymph node biopsy and it was found that I also have Sarcodosis. The doctor took me off Calicuim with Vitamin D and I am not to stay out in the sun because the extra Vitamin D will make my Sarcoidosis worse. So, people should make sure that they are tested first and if their Vitamin D level is normal, they should not take extra Vitamin D. I keep hearing on TV , you need more, you need more, but not every body does.

September 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm
(26) Ann Fudge says:

I have been taking the prescription vit d 50,000 U per weeks since 2006. None of my doctors indicated that it was too much, until this week when I mentioned it to my pcp. He said, it seemed excessive!!!!! So, I suggested we test my blood.

I did not take my dose this week, waiting on the results from my doctor.

September 3, 2010 at 8:15 pm
(27) Berry Banks says:

Clinical Study results are in. “Of course, these amounts of vitamin D were based on one of our clinical studies (PDF)click here for study. showing we needed at least 4000 IU in the winter and at least 2000 IU in the summer.”

More information about the study here..

September 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm
(28) Lucy says:

Vitamin D has been a blessing for my health. Don’t talk bad about it unless you have been tested yourself. One interesting aspect of raising your vitamin D via sunlight is to NOT take too many showers, baths or even go swimming. The reason is that vitamin D forms on your skin and your skin gradually absorbs it over 48 hours. Too much water or whatever and it literally washes off! Personally I still recommend to wash the “important areas!” lol

September 3, 2010 at 8:52 pm
(29) Father Daniel Beegan says:

My vitamin D level is 15 and my doctor is treating it vigorously with D3 supplements.

September 5, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(30) Margo says:

I’ve been on prescription vitamin D (50,000 iu) twice in the last few years, despite my also taking a vitamin D supplement and usually being outside at least the 15 min. a day recommended to get your vitamin D.

Both times when I was on the vitamin D prescription strength dose I didn’t feel any difference. But, that being said, I do think that benefits can occur in our bodies that might not necessarily be felt, which is why I take digestive enzymes and a multivitamin, for example.

I also agree that nutrient absorption could play a part, and I have IBS too, so I take both a digestive enzyme capsule and also a probiotic every day to hopefully help alleviate any absorption issues. However, doing this still hasn’t kept me from drifting in the abnormally low vitamin D levels occasionally.

I’d like to find a doctor who would help me bring my growth hormone up, as I’ve tested borderline on the low end twice, and I think that might help me.

Margo

September 7, 2010 at 1:40 pm
(31) Andrea (Holy Hormones) says:

I don’t have fibromyalgia, but do have chronic pain from a car crash years ago. Both my bioidentical hormone physician and my pain management physician agreed that I need to be on 5000 IUs daily—and it’s important to use a good quality supplement (Integrative Theraputics is the one my doctor uses) as the drugstore brands can be way, way off. I am sure the elevated Vitamin D levels, along with my hormone balance, have made a huge difference in my quality of life.

September 9, 2010 at 10:04 am
(32) Jennifer says:

Adrienne,

Do some research into vitamin D. The prescription D2 is falling out of favor now and more and more doctors are leaning toward taking the over the counter D3 as it is better absorbed and more useful for the body. If you really want lots of info about D google Dr. Mercola–he had been advocating vitamin D for a long, long time and he has lots of info and research on it on his website.

You can get vitamin D3 in doses of 5000 and 10,000 quite easily and some doctors are now recommending that everyone in northern latitudes take 5000 a day throughout the winter or all year if they work inside and never get sun exposure. The key when you are supplementing D in high doses is getting blood levels checked frequently.

Mercola recommends an optimal 25 hydroxy D test between 50-70 ng/ml. He cautions that when you get the test, make sure it is sent to Lab Corp for analysis because the Quest Labs use a different assay that artificially inflates the number.

September 9, 2010 at 10:05 am
(33) Jennifer says:

Summertime sun exposure of an hour=10,000 IU units of vitamin D made by our skin from cholesterol. Doesn’t that make the recommendation of 400 IU seem ridiculous?

All these dermatologists and sunscreen manufacturers who are recommending all this sunscreen don’t realize three important things. One: sunburns cause skin cancer, not moderate sun exposure. Two: skin cancer often shows up where the sun doesn’t shine (I had seven displastic nevi removed from just such a place–these are pre-melanomas that I luckily caught in time.) Three: Skin cancer from burns takes 20-30 years to show up. 20 to 30 years ago, people worshipped the sun and thought of sunburns as a nuisance but did not realize the danger and got burned year after year religiously in pursuit of a tan.

We have to use common sense and not overreact. Clearly, God or Evolution or Mother Nature intended us to spend time outside–otherwise why would we make vitamin D this way? Moderate daily sun exposure is healthy. Its good to be out in nature exercising and having fun–not cooped up inside all day, 24/7/365! As long as you cover up, go inside or put on sunscreen after you start to get the slightest pink, you will be ok.

Also, eating enough beta carotene and other antioxidants in your diet make it far less likely that you will ever burn. It has been scientifically documented that these important dietary compounds protect you in so many ways!

January 25, 2011 at 9:09 am
(34) Laurie says:

I was the first one to comment on this post and have had an ongoing battle with my Vitamin D levels. Managed to get it up into the 30′s. My doctor wanted me to get it up to at least 50 so kept on taking 50,000 IU, once a week for several months. I ran out about a month before my check-up and just never thought to call to get it refilled….well, now I’m back down to 21 so starting all over again!
I don’t get sun this time of year as I live in Minnesota and besides being way too cold this year there has been very few days with sunshine. Between my problems with my Vitamin D levels and my problems with S.A.D. I think I should seriously consider moving to Arizona or anyplace warmer than here!

January 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm
(35) Julie E. says:

My Vitamin D level is 24 which was back in October 2010, at first my Dr. put me on prescription Vitamin D 50,000 IU once a week. But after a few weeks I started feeling sick, heart palpitations , nausea. I talked to my Dr. and now I take over the counter Vitamin D3 5,000 IU once a day, I just had more blood work done and will find out next week when I go back to my Dr. what my levels are now. I have Fibromyalgia, CFS,Osteoarthritis and migraines, in general a lot of pain and fatigue.
I haven’t noticed an improvement in my pain level yet.

January 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm
(36) Cheryl says:

I had originally commented on this post in early September….I had been tested in late August and my Vit D level was 17. I did a 12 week course of 50,000 IU once a week and it brought my level up to 23 – still below the minimum level. So now I’m taking 5,000 IU daily per doctor’s instruction. I also take Citrical Maximum twice a day which adds another 1200 IU of Vit D. I live in Texas and take my dogs out at least 3 times a day for 10 – 15 minutes at a time, so I am getting direct sunlight exposure. I still have not noticed any difference with muscle pain since starting with the Vit D supplementation, but I imagine that is because my levels are still so low….

January 27, 2011 at 4:58 pm
(37) Bloomy says:

My level was at 30 and my doctor became alarmed. She states that the old toxicity concerns are way overblown. She knows of only one case of toxicity – a man who took 100,00 units a day for 8 years. I started on 8,000 units of over the counter D3 and in a month had my levels up to 80. No side effect and great improvement in pain and general outlook.

January 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm
(38) Justin says:

I read a paper a couple of months ago about Vit D and Post Exersonal Malaise. Iíve suffed with mild CFS now for 4 years and the thing I hate most is not being able to do any exercise. I started taking a Vit D, Magnesium and Calcium supplement and with in 5 days my head felt a lot clearer. I did a weight session and had very little Malaise over the next few days. Since then I have done a weights session and a rowing session each week and have felt ok. Not only that but I feel like Iím getting endorphin highs off exercise again. Its been 2 months now and I feel so much better.

January 28, 2011 at 7:49 pm
(39) Michelle says:

Had my vitamin D tested was at a 14. Did the mega doses of 50,000IU a week. After completing it I did have a bit less pain and a bit more energy. I have continued to supplement D and my numbers are now in the normal range. I was suprised that no one had tested D for the 14 years of having Fibro.

January 28, 2011 at 11:25 pm
(40) b says:

just wondering what is everyone calicum level if vitamin d is low.my cal has been high.has anyone had this problem too much calicum?

January 29, 2011 at 12:12 am
(41) Lori says:

I was put on 50,000 IU one time a week for 8 weeks. This was a rx for D3. The first two doses seemed to help but then I thought I was having a bad fibro attack with terrible burning and joint pain every where. I knew this was not normal. I spent three months of my life nauseated, sleepy and in severe pain. After doing some research I found that this is a sign of toxicity. I was not tested untill I had already started taking it and it was summer and I was a strong swimmer and got plenty of sun. I also live in Florida and drive a convertable. I told my Dr. and she just said dont take any more!!!! Never tested me again. So now I am afraid to take any Vitamin D at all. I’m sure if I had taken the correct dose it would have helped me but I never want to feel that bad again!

January 30, 2011 at 8:20 am
(42) Susan Aleksander says:

Mega doses of vitamins caused me to develop another symptom…kidney stones. Gotta be really careful with large quantities of supplements because they put a strain on your organs which will cause additional harm. Just be smart and ask a lot of questions when the doc tells you what he’s intending to do.

January 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm
(43) Kelly Williams says:

Check out Mercola.com also, 20 minutes of sunlight a day on chest, arms, face is the best to absorb what you need, but if you live in Northern hemispere, 40 latitude, I believe you cannot get it in the winter, so you have to take a supplement.

February 1, 2011 at 8:56 am
(44) Mark Hansen says:

I did try an initial dose of D3 to begin to get my levels up, but just the first prescription gelcap made me sick as a dog. For some reason my system can’t seem to assimilate it. I do consume a fair amount of D enriched foods and will check levels the next time I have labs done.

February 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm
(45) Henry Lahore says:

Yes, vitamin D does greatly reduce pain of CFS and Fibromyalgia – see why

February 8, 2011 at 10:49 am
(46) Susan Fisher says:

I started a prescription dose of Vitamin D, 50,000 units a week for three weeks also in August 2010 and I brought my levels up from 25 to 39 in December. My symptoms improved so I am maintaining at 2,000 to 5,000 units a day and will keep monitoring this going forward. My symptoms of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia coincided with my acute Epsterin Barr diagnosis. I also am trying to get a bit more sunas I would avoid it and so i am carefully trying to get at least 10 min a day in nice weather although my dermatologist does not agree with this. .Susan

June 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm
(47) Barbara Mears says:

My Vitamin D level is 12, so my gp has put me on 20000units 3x daily for 5 days. So I am hopeful that this will help, with pain, seratonin levels etcetc.
I shall leave a comment in a week or so to tell you if it has helped!! Fingers crossed.

June 24, 2011 at 6:41 pm
(48) kaye says:

I was amazed to find my Vitamin D level was 30 when tested. I try to eat well, get sunshine etc.. I am now on a mega dose to try to bring it up to normal levels. This will take some months and my doctor seems to wait to treat my other symptoms until this is resolved. I might print out this article and show him that Vitamin D is probably not responsible for all my troubles, just some of them.

July 30, 2011 at 2:58 pm
(49) becky says:

I have been suffering really bad pains and fatigue and other issues for about 18 months now and after having countless blood tests my GP and I finally concluded it may be fibromyalgia. I have been taking tramadol for the pain which I have to take at night. If I don’t take at night I get really bad pains the next day and struggle to even get out of bed.

About 3 weeks ago I went to see another GP as an emergency as I was in a bad way and he sent me for a blood test for vitamin D and it came back deficient – around the 25 mark. He immediately started me on 2x400ui a day.

I think my normal GP was a bit angry at herself for not testing the D earlier months ago but I dont blame her, GPs aren’t computers that can pull out a quick answer every day of the week.

But anyway, I have been on the vitamin d now for about 3-4 weeks and while I am seeing some improvement in the way my pain is, I still don’t think the effort is as it should be. I still cannot go without my painkillers at night and still wake up crap if I do not take them. I would have expected to see some kind of proper improvement by now. With that said, when I used to have more bad days than good days I think I am now having more good than bad so that is some progress.

Whats the likely timespan of being cured? Will I ever be cured? Or will I be on these tablets forever? I wish they weren’t so chalky :-(

September 14, 2011 at 7:33 pm
(50) L.A.A.D. says:

Bless your heart, Becky. I suffered with fibromyalgia pain, and severe exhaust to point of dizzy ‘white outs’ when bending over and standing up quickly, and about literally falling asleep on my feet, things fell from my hands…. My Vitamin D was 19. It took 2 years.. till I got the right doctor in the practice and told him “I have [this, this, this, this and this[.” And he said, “Oh, well then I know what is wrong with you, but first I will test to confirm. When the results came back he asked me how I got there. I looked at him like he was 1/2 crazy and I told him “I drove.” He said, “You drove?! from your home town?!… 45 minutes?!… don’t you get dizzy when your round corners??” I said, “Well, yes, sometimes.” He asked me, “..open your mouth.. let me see in your mouth.” Again I looked at him like he was 1/2 crazy. Then he said, “I thought so. All but 2 of your molars have fillings… You suffer with severe Vitamin D deficiency, likely since a young child.”.
Becky, ‘crushable’, ‘chalky’ tablets your system likely cannot absorb. You need softgels [saflower/sunflower oil ‘liqui-gels’. You can take up to 10,000 IU a day without toxicity (ask your doctor). I started taking 5,000 IU/day and two months later I noted a huge difference. After a year, I no longer experienced these symptoms… and continue to take 3,000 IU/day. Often, people who eat largely vegetarian, little meat/fat, are Vitamin D deficient.
A word of advice… be careful with the psychological world. If you were to go to them, they would diagnose you severe depression to bi-polar, when WHAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE IS A MEDICAL CONDITION.
Know… that they say approximately 75% of individiuals Psycho/Psychia’s diagnose with major depressive disorder (and sometimes Bi-polar and schizo and/or anxiety) … actually truly suffer with Vitamin D deficiency. Approx. $5 to $6 for at least a months supply of ‘pick me up’ healing.

August 13, 2011 at 5:50 am
(51) Suzette says:

i`ve been tested and my vitamin d level is 15 yet i did not get a subscription so i have no clue what vitamin pills im suppose to take all the doctor told me is to go buy some vitamin pills and eat a lot of fruit and they will check my blood in 3 months i went to the chemist and got over the counter vitamin D3 1000 IU does this sound right to you guys ? im also low on iron

September 6, 2011 at 6:29 am
(52) Kimberly says:

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a little over a year ago at that time the doctor recommended that I take 8,000 IU a day and I have been doing that. There have been two times that I ran out and went without for two-four days and I could certainly tell a huge difference. My mind was not as clear, my mood became very irritable, I had increased swelling in my legs, feet and arms and the pain level increased tremendously. I am so thankful for the advice of my physician. So far I only am using the vitamin D, hormone supplement and some Ibuprophren on a daily basis. Of course along with taking all gluten out of my diet, adequate rest and exercise. Vitamin D has made a huge difference for me.

October 12, 2011 at 10:01 am
(53) JoB says:

Been prescribed 20,000u (Vit D3) to be taken 3 times a week for 8 weeks and then one 20,000u every 2 weeks. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and the side effects of any meds are worse to live with than the illness itself….hence i do without!!! So far i have taken 5 Vit D capsules and for 14 or 15 hours i burn up and then go freezing cold, the extreme temps results in what energy i have being zapped and the pain from the neck down is unbearable (this for me is usually the symptoms to the start of a crash until im sleeping upto 20 hours a day) the next day no pain, freezing cold and it looks like i have not slept for a month, Im not really looking forward to my dose tomorrow :-/. Is this the norm or is anybody else with CFS suffering this way with Vit D3?

October 30, 2011 at 5:15 pm
(54) 46blitz says:

Does anyone wonder why their Vit D levels are so low yet they take massive amounts of the stuff? Check your D 1,25 too. Honestly, I think taking Vit D to cure your ills will help for a while (like steroids do) but it’s like giving blood to a person bleeding internally and not checking out why they are bleeding.

January 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm
(55) Karole says:

My vitamin D level was 17 when I was tested. My doctor told me to buy vitamin D3-5000IU over the counter and take 1 daily. I was really scared to take that level of vitamin D because you hear so many bad things so I bought it but didnt really take it. I just started taking it today because my body is so achey. Sometimes even my teeth hurt. I am hoping this will help. I have so much trouble sleeping and only sleep about 4 hrs a night and then wake up feeling like I was run over by a truck
I also have hypothyroidism and low iron which causes my blood count to go down. Ive been reading all thecomments that are posted and alot say to get sun but I cant be in the sun, I have vitiligo which prevents me from being in the sun without sunblock.

February 20, 2012 at 11:53 pm
(56) Mona says:

I had a blood test done and found out today my vit d is deficient…I am at 6.8

I am so excited to start my 50,000 twice a week in hopes many of my symptoms will disappear

March 17, 2012 at 2:03 am
(57) Burres479 says:
April 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm
(58) Louise says:

I started taking 4000 IU vitamin D3 – not D – a few weeks ago with food and I AM noticing a difference in how I feel. I also take a ferrous sulfate iron tablet every OTHER day as my iron level has always been to low to donate blood. Knowing one CAN overdose on iron and I am past menopause, I feel the every other day pill of iron is probably best for me. I still hurt at times but the recovery time seems much less than before taking the D3 and iron. I am overweight and don’t eat right so for something to help me is probably something even better for others who DO eat right and are at a more normal weight.

May 23, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(59) judy says:

I WAS LOOKING AT ALL THESE COMMENTS AND FEEL GLAD TO KNOW I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WONDERING IF MY VITAMINS ARE LOW. I WAS DIAGNOSED IN 2004 AND HAVE SUFFERED SINCE. MOVING TO LOUISIANA FROM WEST VIRGINIA HAS HELPED WITH HAVING SO MUCH MORE SUN TIME, BUT I WOULD LIKE SOMEONE TO COMMENT ON A RECENT OCCURRENCE. DIZZINESS HAS OVERTAKEN ME, ALL THE TIME. FOR ABOUT 2 AND A HALF WEEKS NOW. IT IS NOT MY EARS, HAPPENS MOSTLY AS I LAY DOWN OR GET UP, BUT IT IS WILD. I ALMOST FELL OFF BED ONCE. ANY COMMENTS PLEASE.

June 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm
(60) Victoria says:

I have a history of pelvic pain; over 10 years and 2 surgeries for endometriosis.

my GYN called for a D test, which was at 14, about a year ago. I think I took the prescribed dose of the 50,000 strength medication, and then the discovery of a hip impingement which could be causing the pain kind of eclipsed everything else and I never followed up. I was only prescribed a week’s dose, and I realise I should have taken a much longer course.

The pain has grown more persistent and I’ve had to stop working. I tested my D level again, and the result was 10. This time I am following through, and will try to get and maintain my level above 50.

In the past 6 months I have gotten the flu, 2 sinus infections, and bronchitis. I heard that low D can make you vulnerable to infections, and I am hoping it will help my depression as well. Depression has been very hard to fight while in pain and on pain meds, unable to work.

Hope to check back here and report that I am feeling better! Just took my first 50,000 IU dose.

June 26, 2012 at 3:57 am
(61) Mary says:

Laurie

I would also look into Magnesium. Good all about it and you will find that what it does for us is simply amazing on so many levels. I think one without the other is not going to work.
My husband has been having fibroymalgia symptoms for years and this is one of only things that help.

June 26, 2012 at 11:51 am
(62) Bevin Black says:

Usually when your “D” is low, your kidneys are metabolizing your “D” into D 1.25, and your D 1.25 will be high. Most will never know this, because your Doctor does not have you tested for this. It will actually cost you to have this tested, as it is not covered by OHIP in Canada. Your D 1.25 is high in autoimmune sufferers because your VDR is blocked by bacteria. using your D, measured as a ratio with your D 1.25 will give your D ratio, and a measurement of your inflammatory marker. Lets start measuring what your body does with D, instead of what your are taking in! Why else would everyone taking D supplements get sicker over time? Short term gain only gives you long term pain. Vitamin D is not a vitamin at all, but more closely resembles a secosteroid, than a vitamin. Suppress your immune system with Prednisone, as I did, if you want to feel really good for a short while. But in the long term, as with “D”, you will suppress the immune system to the point that the bacteria will flourish, and your inflammation will get far worse. Visit Marshall Protocol, if you want to be cured, as I did. Open your eyes to what the research scientists, who are not tied to the drug industry, have been saying all along.

July 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm
(63) joyce says:

My spine and pain specialist tested my vit. D, only to be at a low 9.

July 9, 2012 at 11:54 pm
(64) tonya says:

I need to talk to someone about my symptoms with a vitamin D deficiency and supplements

July 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm
(65) Gabriele says:

Started taking Vitamin D3 (with olive oil) a few days ago and I am feeling soooo much better. I take 2000 i.u.. My body aches are much better, not gone, but a lot better. I have been dx with Fibro and Osteoarthritis. I also take vitamin B complex.

August 5, 2012 at 3:40 am
(66) Sara says:

I went through a ton of testing for over a year and a half not understanding why I felt so sick all the time. It started out with Mono then Epstein Barr virus. From there I was given a wide ranges of tests because I was just soooo Tired! I felt like I had the flu all the time, my sinuses caused issues, I had severe migraines, Muscle pain in my knees, hip, wrists, and lower legs. All in all just sore, exhausted, head hurting and loss of concentration which is hard when youre a single mom and full time college student at the age of 36! I couldn’t go to work and not want to just sleep walk but had to push on. 16 credit hours, single mom, 70 plus hours of work a week. I couldn’t take it. I now have no job and no health insurance for a diagnosis of fybromialgia and CFS. My initial doctor referred me to a rheumatologist at the University of Michigan and said there was nothing more she can do for me. He agreed that it is Fybro and CFS. He gave me a script for Vitamin D at 50,000 IU one capsule once a week. My left lymphnode constantly over a period of a year has also caused me issues. To put it bluntly, I am new to this whole thing, do not understand any of it, and I am sick of being sick. No health insurance, exhausted, Confused! Where do you go from here? I never sleep consistently and im so tired and hurt all the time. I never seem to have a period of time where I feel good. It keeps me from playing with my 10 year old and as much as she doesn;t understand it I have no explanation to give her because all I want to do is sleep and feel better. HELP…

September 25, 2012 at 7:01 am
(67) Ann says:

I am Vegan, so fish liver oil and the standard D3 supplements are no good to me. I am trying to find a reputable source of vegan vitamin D that will actually help me.

September 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(68) sebastian says:

please tell me what type of vitamin D tab’s always doctor recommended, and what is food which vitamin D contains? now only diagnosis with vitamin D deficiency( less than 7) for my wife, she is 45 years of old and having hypothyroidism , she is taking regular eltroxin 50mg, since 3 weeks she was complaining severe shoulder and right arm pain , can anyone tells us what could be done.

October 14, 2012 at 2:57 am
(69) Anjali says:

Since last month i had very weired symptoms, my whole body was paining like anything. then all of a sudden by each bone in the body started getting stabbing pain at some interval. the doctor checked for Vitamin D test and it was 8.5, can vitamin D deficiency cause all this.

I am on 50,000 IU tablet twice a week now and only after 10 days i am feeling better but still some part of my body pains. also feeling little itching on some body parts. all this beacuse of Vitamin D ??

October 15, 2012 at 7:04 am
(70) Disha says:

I had severe body pain and fever and it lasted fr 2 3 months till I got tested and I was found to have Typhoid but doctor suggested me to get a Vitamin D test and my tests showed my Vitamin D to be as low as 4. Which made my doctor start my Vitamin course which includes Calcirol 60,000 IU. I have to take these sachets first every day for a week and then once a week for one month. He even gave me some tabs. I am starting my course from today let’s see if I see any changes.

November 1, 2012 at 8:11 pm
(71) Amy says:

It worked for me. I hate fibro meds and am married to a dr. I was a hard core competitive athlete for years and am now in menopause. I take 30 – - 50 thous mg daily. My sleep is much better, my gym time is happier, and my am pains are gone…thanks!!! My chiropractor sent me.

November 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm
(72) Naeem says:

My vitamin D is 4 eventhough my haemoglobin test is of normal range …. I have a feel that i will die…. My heart is not under control…. I feel lower abdominal pain …… Doctor say it wil take time to reach normal range…. Bt i m very afraid what can i do

December 27, 2012 at 2:20 pm
(73) Mel says:

Hi, thank you for sharing. I was tested recently and advised my vit D at 29, prescribe 5000mg am and pm, more blood tests on the 6th when they test for vit B12 aswell. I am sooooo looking forward to whren my levels stablise at the level they should be. This is more than just vit D its hope aswell.

December 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm
(74) Stephen R. H. says:

I am unable to take Vitamin D in any amounts due to a severe DVT that left me on Coumadin the blood thinner. Cymbalta was the only medication that worked for a while as Lyrica, Savella, etc. were not effective.

I also have been diagnosed (University of Miami Miller Sc Severehool of Medicine) with CFS, Dysautonomia, B-19 Human Parvo, Peripherial Neuropathy, the pro thjrombin clotting gene and the lupus gene. I am almost 60 years of age and the pains in my joints are becoming ever more severe and increasing. Before this I was active as a walker of a mile or more daily and weight training ate healthy and was not obese.

January 1, 2013 at 8:32 am
(75) Margaret says:

I have been in so much pain for over 2 to 3 month,then 3weeks ago I could not lift my arms.I saw an orthapedic dr who ordered blood tests.My vitamin D3 was 5,3.My paratormone was 136,00,my pai was unbearable last friday my dr ordered 25,000ui/ml of vit d3.I can not explain but after 8 days I can now move my arms lift them up,dress myself,do some cooking and all this with much less pain.I cant beleive it after months of agony.

January 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm
(76) darryl boustead says:

Hi in june 2010 my teeth started giving me electric shocks and rest of mouth would prick and burn etc I had x rays they found nothing come oct 2011 the mouth thing settled down but every other body part was giving me the same acute and chronic pain I had a blood test for everything under the sun pun not intended in april 2012 it came back vit d 19 so I was put on 800mg of vit d2 and told to get half hour of sun a day, I saw a nutritionalist who recomended d3 2000 mg blood test in october was 56 but I was still getting a little pain so we get to this winter and the expected bone pains and skin burning hasnt come still have pin pricking at times 11th of jan now hope rest of winter is as settled

January 18, 2013 at 1:05 am
(77) leslie says:

i have had Breast cancer, and lately i have been so tired, my cancer has been taken care of but now my levels are 20 D as that why im always so weak with no energy.

February 20, 2013 at 5:06 am
(78) Drema says:

CF for 14 years. In the nutraceutical business for 12 years.

Look into Green Pastures Cod Liver Oil products and reviews online. There are people who had extremely low vit D levels who raised in within 3 to 7 months: the liquid working faster but be forwarned they make their cod liver oil the old fashioned fermented way and it’s POTENT. Get the one combined with Butter Oil in it which increases D levells. Order right from the company, NOT Amazon or distributor. Got to the Weston Price Foundation website & see info about it. I just ordered my first bottle & I really want it to be the key that stops this nightmare.

Everyone needs to know vitamin D2 and D3 are NOT the same thing!

D3 would be the one you’d want to take because it can be taken in higher doses without building up in the liver like D2 does. Of course the mega doses would be under a doctors supervision, you’d get blood tests regularly and so forth.

If you look online at ‘vit D causing kidney stones’ they’ll mention vitamin D but will NOT mention whether it’s D2 or D3 they were taking! They say that the vitamin D increases calcium levels and it’s the calcium creating the kidney stones. So my question would be to the person who posted that vitamin D gave her kidney stones: Are you taking a calcium supplement plus a multivitamin? How about a prescribed calcium from the doctor that is high? Are you eating a lot of calcium rich foods? Without detailed information the posts warning people about vitamin D (again which one: D2 or D3?) just leads to fear.

Jesus loves YOU! Be blessed everyone.

April 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm
(79) Lisa says:

Would like to point this out to everyone: Get your blood serum calcium levels checked (via routine CBC) for possible elevation. At the same time, have your blood serum Vitamin D checked as well. Also, your PTH levels too. There IS (usually) a correlation between low serum Vitamin D levels and HIGH (even slightly) out-of-range blood calcium levels. However, my Vitamin D levels were considered optimum (70) because I had been taking Vit. D3 5000 daily, for some time. Yet, my blood serum calcium levels were elevated at 10.4, then again at 10.6 with terrible symptoms – of which many of you mention. It all suggested hyperparathyroidism, which turns out I DID have a parathyroid adenoma! I saw a couple of PCP’s who just did not get it! Scary, yes but do not think these ‘doctors’ know or understand it. They simply do NOT! Take charge of your own health first, and Learn about hyperparathyroidism by visiting the site, parathyroid.com, and you will be SO glad you did! Saved my life already! Be well and healthy everyone!

June 30, 2013 at 9:43 pm
(80) Sofia says:

I had a leg injury with a very bad infection. The pain was and is horrible. I then slowly started getting pain my butt muscles IP my back and neck…it was so hard to describe and then to move it literally hurt, it felt like my blood hurt! I had so much pain all the meds I was getting were not helping enough. My doctor did the Hydroxy 25 test and my vitamin d results were 12, she put me on 50,000 iu for 6 weeks. One dose a week, at the end I noticed my medicines for pain working better. A month or two passed and the pain started coming back, got retested, came back at 24, got another Rx for 6 weeks of 50,000 iu, then same thing test came back at 20, another TX for 3 months…I do believe that being deficient exacerbated pain! So many Sea look clueless when I explain this to them:(

August 29, 2013 at 12:37 pm
(81) Sad says:

I have fatigue, muscle pain, joint pain and bone pain.
I feel bad almost all the time.
My vitamin D level was tested and it was 7. Seriously low. So started 50,000 iu vit D-3 (via prescription) over a year ago. At first every week then every 2 weeks. Level is now 34.. I still feel like crap.
My calcium levels are now high – and so can’t increase Vit. D because that is probably why. Anyway – I don’t think there is true science about this or there would not be so many of us suffering so badly without hope of feeling better – and not given anything with sufficient pain relief properties because God forbid – we’d get addicted! Better to just hurt all the time I suppose. I am so depressed because of this pain – it is hard to go on.

September 24, 2013 at 9:28 pm
(82) babsie says:

Sunshine will NOT alone replenish a Vitamin D3 deficiency so to report it as so is incorrect. Check your medications to make sure they are not depleted them.

September 28, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(83) Arun says:

My vitami d level was 6.8 now it is 35ng/ml now my doc says it is upto the mark and there is no need of supplementation.

any suggestions? how to improve it to 60-70ng/ml and what time it will take to reach there.

I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I am only 28 years of age, Male and suffering from muscles pain,stiffness,joint pain from past 12-13 years

Vitamin d level 35ng/ml (20-100) acceptable range

serum magnesium–2.51 (1.60-2.60) acceptable range

serum calcium– 10.20 (8.5-10.5)

September 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm
(84) arun says:

My vitamin d level was 6.8 now it is 35ng/ml now my doc says it is upto the mark and there is no need of supplementation.

Vitamin d level 35ng/ml (20-100) acceptable range

serum magnesium–2.51 (1.60-2.60) acceptable range

serum calcium– 10.20 (8.5-10.5)

November 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm
(85) Gdale says:

I desperately want to be able to take Vit D, but each time I try my liver hurts a lot. I have NASH and NAFLD and no gallbladder.

My D level was a 12 last time it was measured.

December 13, 2013 at 11:41 am
(86) Trillium says:

@Chris Menard – I would love to see you cite some studies that you talk about regarding vitamin D3. I would love to show my doctor how behind the times he is.

January 9, 2014 at 6:53 am
(87) Thandi says:

Hi my name is Thandi iam a 33 year old with no kids.In 2009 i discovered that i had fibroids.The Dr advaced me to remove them by going though sugery.Now they are back iam try’ to get rid of them in a natural way.Is it true that vitamin D3 can shrink them,iam currently taking hemp oil and cocunut oil to shrink them naturally.

January 19, 2014 at 8:40 pm
(88) MiMi says:

Vitamin D******I now call this my *miracle supplement*….I have had major health issues since 2004 which I got carpel tunnel in my right hand. I worked for a loan servicing company for over 14 years. I eventually had carpal tunnel surgery after trying different kinds of medicines and therapy. The surgery did NOT really help my right hand like I had expected it to. Over a year later my left hand got in the same shape. Again I was looking for something that might help the pain.

January 19, 2014 at 8:41 pm
(89) MiMi says:

My doctor was treating me for depression….as he thought I was just depressed. I finally had a talk to talk with him and demanded that more tests be made. I had done my own research on how I was feeling and I figured out I had *parathyroid problems*….my doctor said NO….it is NOT. After a year and trying different kinds of medicine which did NOTHING and I was even getting worse, I decided to take my health a step further and *DEMAND* more test. Had the scan and the doctor’s office called to tell me that a parathyroid surgeon would be in contact with me. I went into the surgeon’s office and spoke to him about how I would like to have the *mini* surgery, IF I needed it. He reviewed my medical records and decided that he thought perhaps it was my almost non existence Vitamin D which was causing all of my health issues. I then looked at him and explained that I had done my own research and that IF he could not help me then could he please point me to someone who could help. He then decided to do an ultrasound on me, if I was willing. He did this and was quite surprised when he found that I indeed had a *bad gland* which was the size of a pecan in a shell. (by the way a parathyroid gland is the size of a grain of rice and most people have 4 of them). He then explained to me that he could NOT do the *mini surgery* on me and that I needed the surgery as soon as possible. I could hardly believe that this doctor was at first telling me no, I did not have issues with this and then I needed surgery right away. On the day of my surgery my blood calcium level was 88……ALMOST 10 times the normal of 9.2……the surgeon then pointed out t me that I could have had a stroke or a heart attack due to this.

January 19, 2014 at 8:42 pm
(90) MiMi says:

Anyway….after I faced several surgeries in the next few years I gradually got better. It took me a very long time to get my Vitamin D level to within the normal range. (barely 40)….My doctor does NOT like to check my Vitamin D level. It seems like he is not that much concerned with this. I AM. My level when I started noticing being sick was 12. Low Vitamin D can and does cause *some people additional pain*….IT DID ME. and I think I have problems trying to keep it within the *normal level*. I have since found that Vitamin B 6 is a problem for me as well. I had lower back pain for over a year and NO DOCTOR could find any cause of it. I now take P5P which *controls my lower back pain*….which, by the way was indeed REAL. If you are having issues with trying to find something that will help you cope better…..IF YOU HAVE A COMPUTER….DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. I did.

January 29, 2014 at 1:50 pm
(91) NatureWise vitamin D3 says:

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button!

I’d most certainly donate to this excellent blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding
your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this website with
my Facebook group. Talk soon!

February 18, 2014 at 3:24 pm
(92) Raquel says:

My pharmacists said you need to take the vitamin with something fatty otherwise it will just go through you, (not absorb) since vitamin D is fat-soluble. She said take it with a healthy fat such as peanut butter, avocado, regular milk, stuff like that or even non-healthy fat such as bacon but it needs some sort of fat to help the absorption.

February 18, 2014 at 8:40 pm
(93) Deborah says:

I took m y first 50,000 IU’s of Vitamin D prescription…… It really made me SICK all over…………. WHY?????????????????????

February 19, 2014 at 12:49 pm
(94) Crystal says:

This entire thread helped. Nevermind it’s old :) Thought I’d throw my two cents out there. Been fighting chronic D deficiency for about ten years now. Have done Rx treatments, but primarily OTC. Over the last 5 years, I have intake 15-25, 000iu’s a day (using 5k pills) & have never gone above 66 or developed any negative side effects. 66 was last July & I sat out for 15-60 minutes a day from April-July.

April 25, 2014 at 10:50 am
(95) fateme says:

I had muscle pain for 15 years. Fatigeness, feeling sleepy and tired allll the time. I checked with 4 drs and they tested all kinds of tests. And all of them said that nothing was wrong with me. But i waz sure that feeling sleepy all thd time is not normal or a cause of stress that drs said. I finally searched the net and came across to blogs like this. I was at the low end! I cannot beleive i suffered 15 years for this. Ive been taking 50000 monthly prescribed by a dr and feeling alot more like a normal person rather than a corpse or sculpture in bed! More active, happier and healtbier. God bless u for this blog. I just want to tell people DONT GIVE UP. even when all drs do not agree with u or cant understand what u r going through. U cal find what is wrong with u on the net and talk to ur dr about it.

May 2, 2014 at 6:38 pm
(96) Eddie says:

To get vitamin D from the sun, does a person need to have their eyes open or can one close them while lying in the sun? Thanks

E

May 11, 2014 at 11:51 pm
(97) Alexandria says:

Im 25, and I am always tired no matter how much rest I get and I also have very low Vitamin D as well. What would you recommend for my age to take?