1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Swollen Glands With Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By October 13, 2010

Q: "In your conversations with all of these people who have FMS do you ever come across swollen glands in the neck and under the jaw line? I get a very tight feeling in my neck sometimes and burning sensations. Have had bloods done but they come back as normal. Sometimes it really makes me feel unwell." ~Lin

A: Swollen glands are a fairly common feature of fibromyalgia (FMS), and chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) as well.

Typically, we associate swollen glands with acute illnesses. They're a sign that your immune system is working against some kind of pathogen. It's fairly normal for them to ache, even in "normal" people, so they're especially likely to hurt in us because of our low pain thresholds (the point at which sensation becomes painful.) That feeling of "unwellness" that accompany them probably mean that you've picked up some illness, or that your body is having a harder time in the battle against longer-term pathogens.

The "glands" that people refer to are actually lymph nodes, which are little bundles of white nerve cells. In FMS and ME/CFS (possibly more so in ME/CFS), they're often a symptom of a chronically active immune system -- your body is increasing its number of white blood cells to fight off the bug, so the area gets puffed up with them. However, especially in FMS, they may also be a consequence of what some researchers describe as thick or sluggish bodily fluids. The lymph that would normally pass through seems to get backed up.  We have lymph nodes throughout the body, in the:

• Under the jaw & chin
  • Groin
  • Armpit
  • Down both sides of the neck
  • On either side of the spine on the back of the neck
  • On either side of the thyroid gland in the front of the neck
  • Behind the ears
  • On the back of the head

If you have swelling or pressure in the center of your neck, it could be your thyroid gland.  Be sure to get that checked out right away.

Swollen lymph nodes don't require any treatment just because they're swollen. However, if they're painful, you have several options for easing the pain:

• Heat and/or ice, possibly alternating. Try different combinations to see what helps most.
  • Ibuprofen, other NSAIDs or other pain medications.
  • Manual lymph drainage (a type of massage) if it appears to be stagnant lymph.

I get painful, swollen lymph nodes that don't appear to be connected to immune problems. I can usually tell the difference because, at least for me, immune-related swelling is mildly painful and confined to the site, while stagnant-lymph swelling causes a deeper ache that radiates. I've had manual lymph drainage for it, and it can feel really good. However, sometimes it takes deeper massage than my body can handle. I have to be thorough in communicating with my massage therapist so she knows how much pressure she can use on any given day. I've also had cupping, a traditional Chinese treatment that involves suction cups. It's not as good at relieving the congestion, but it's less likely to cause pain later, so it's a good alternative.

Do you get painful, swollen glands? What other symptoms generally come along with them? What helps? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Colin Anderson/Getty Images

Comments
October 13, 2010 at 7:14 am
(1) MIMI says:

I CAN CERTAINLY RELATE TO THIS. MY LYMPH NODES COME UP IF I HAVE DONE TOO MUCH. (MY TOO MUCH IS SOMETIMES JUST MAKING A PHONE CALL AND TALKING FOR TOO LONG, OR JUST SOCIALIZING FOR AN HOUR OR SO!).

October 13, 2010 at 7:37 am
(2) Michelle says:

My fibro specialist told me that my chronic lymphadenopathy could NOT be caused by fibro. She said that fibro itself does not cause the lymph nodes to swell, even though I’ve read so much info on the net that says it can. However, my primary doctor says that it can, but it happens more often in chronic fatigue syndrome. That’s when he started thinking that I may have more than “just” fibro. I hate to say “just” because fibro in itself is more than enough to handle, but hopefully, you’ll know what I mean. That’s when he mentioned the possibility of XMRV. I’ve been tested for every other virus out there and have came back negative. When my lymph nodes swell, I take the acyclovir he gave me for my fever blisters, and they always go back down. If I leave them alone, I’ll start finding them all over. So, I have to wonder…

October 13, 2010 at 10:00 am
(3) jennifer says:

Just curious, what is XMRV?

October 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm
(4) Heidi says:

The lymph nodes on my neck are so swollen earlier this year it felt as though I was being choked. I had an ultrasound of my neck, My doctor read the numbers to me in amazement like I had won a world record! The right side was way bigger and I was and still am afraid it will result in the lymphoma that happens with this illness.

XMRV is the newly discovered retrovirus that’s now proven to be linked to CFS, FMS and others. Look up WPI in Reno.

October 14, 2010 at 9:40 am
(5) Lisa says:

How about EBV/mono? I had mono when I was a teenager and it has come back now as EBV. Yippee! Just what I need, another disease to make me tired and feeling like pond scum!

October 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm
(6) Wendy says:

I also get swollen glands and feel like I have a sore throat and headache, like the onset of the flu……does anyone know what I can do to relieve this?

October 15, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(7) Mary Beth says:

My painful glands are my body’s way of letting me know I over did it!

It’s so amazing how much we have in common. I could have been the poster instead of Mimi above! I just got off the phone with a political activist friend which completely exhausted me! I was on the phone for over 40 minutes (which I hardly ever do) and now the pain is radiating up into both ears! There was no pain there this morning. And, as usual, I have rested most of the day prior to the call.

The cell phone is back on silent for the rest of the day!

October 15, 2010 at 5:08 pm
(8) Georgia says:

Oh those swollen glands!! They sometimes feel like a daily accessory and not the type I would choose. I too have had them since the beginning of this illness.
Generally, if I am in a flare up they persist throughout the duration. When the flare up begins to subside I find that they pop up as my energy wanes usually mid day. Like a barometer, they lessen as I begin to come around.
Mine are always accompanied by a low grade fever.

October 15, 2010 at 8:30 pm
(9) eevee says:

hi i have only just been diagnosed after suffering FM for 20 years and being misdiagnosed as mentally ill
anyway, i have the choking/ pressing feeling in my throat and i once ended up in hospital for a week with the whole of the right side of my maxillary space / neck swollen and so hard with infection it felt like a brick ! it spread across the front of my neck too “ludwigs angina” was mentioned but i think it was more than likely to do with the FM, i knew it wasnt a dental related problem as i am an ex dental nurse and a max fax surgeon confirmed it wasnt dental, it was a hideous infection
re the over sensitivity to pain i dont have that, in fact i have a very high pain threshold, i wouldnt have been able to have my ulna nerve unfused from my bone while wide awake and the local anaesthetic not working if so…my surgeon couldnt believe that i barely even flinched
but i do have every other symptom
i do get swollen armpit and groin glands quite often

October 15, 2010 at 11:03 pm
(10) Penny Richardson says:

I was diagnosed with CFIDS and Fibromyalgia in 1991.2 yrs.ago I started developing pain behind my ears and in my neck. The pain is so severe that I am not able to wear sunglasses or my reading glasses. I’ve had MRI’S, Ct.Scans,X-rays, Bloodtests. Nothing found. I was a nurse prior to my illness and I have to say, this illness takes on a life of its own. Penny

October 16, 2010 at 5:39 am
(11) Gina says:

I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia because I have not gone to the drs. since we did not have health insurance due to my husbands layoff. We now have it so I will go to see what I can find out. I get swollen glands on one side and sometimes that ear hurts really bad but more on the outside of the ear. Heat or cold usually helps and then it disappears as mysteriously as it came.

October 16, 2010 at 9:28 am
(12) JL says:

I just went to the dr on Monday and told her about the swelling in my neck. She told me it was part of fms and cfs. I have unexplained lymphedema in my legs and I wonder if that is part of the fms too. We expected that I would have it in my arm after breast cancer surgery, but nobody can explain why it has gone to my legs. I wonder if my lymphatic system has just become stagnant all over.
I had swelling in my neck that it was pressing on my ear, causing excruciating pain. The ENT found several swollen masses in my neck and concerned about it being cancer decided to do a biopsy. It wasn’t cancer but it was a temporary fix for the ear pain. But now it is coming back so obviously it wasn’t the complete problem.

October 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm
(13) Marilyn Bloomer says:

I have chronic fatigue 20 plus years now. Swollen and painful lymph nodes are a frequent thing for me. Also lymph-edema in legs, arms and face and probably belly. Diosamin has helped as has lymphatic massage. This is truly a mean disease. It is so hard to wait out science catching up with what those of us have lived with this have known for a long time. Lets treat the virus!!! My latest thing is visible skin inflammation and blisters and scaling biopsied as mucha habermann. The sores can take years to heal but it is only a nuisance compared with the rest of the illness. The Mucha is probably related to chronic fatigue also. I dont even like the name chronic fatigue–we have a disease without a name.

October 16, 2010 at 3:35 pm
(14) shoshana says:

I am so sorry that you all have these problems, but I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. I have TMJ and swollen glands toa lesser or greater degree – depening on the day or time of day, in my neck (feels like strep throat) behing the ears – Ow very painful!!!. under my arms and in the groin as well – seldom. i am petite and have always had reasonable legs but two years ago i put on 25lbs and my legs became like tree trunks. i lost the weight a year ago and have kept it off – i am eventually eating sensibly (no dairy, no wheat, no meat) but my legs are so squishy and swollen and sore. oh well just another ordeal to deal with.

October 16, 2010 at 7:20 pm
(15) Lauren says:

I have problems with swelling in my nodes, especially in my face. I have been diagnosed with FM and idiopathic hypersomnia, but my doc originally was concerned with SLE due to the swelling that implicated immune reactions despite no evident infection. My lips and eyes will swell, my salivary glands will ache when I get ready to eat something, swelling in my nodes along my jaw, sides of neck, behind my hear, and back of neck. There are times when I will have tenderness in the nodes under my arms and nearby as well. Sometimes it even hurts to put on deodorant. I also have swelling issues that cause trouble swallowing. There are also times when I feel as if I’m choking and other times I will have difficulty swallowing-feels like I swallow more air than liquids when I drink. I have difficulty wearing glasses at time, but have to due to light sensitivity. My doctor swears much of this has nothing to do with FM. I’m not certain what to do if he doesn’t see that it’s a problem, but I’m glad I’m not the only one with this experience.

October 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm
(16) Sr Sharon says:

My symptoms are just like Heidi’s report. Mine make me feverish, so unwell I am in bed nearly all the time and recently lasted for months. I am a retired nurse so I know what swollen glands are but mine become huge and I feel I am choking. I tell the Doctor but they have not even been felt by a Doctor once. I looked after babies for years and checked every part of them each visit and one would feel the lymph nodes up or down depending what was happening. I find it strange Doctor’s do not rely on physical assessment very much these days. With a bit of cool crisp weather lately and after 6 courses of antibiotics for a chronic sinus infection I knew I had but was told antibiotics are only used now when absolutely necessary my glands have markedly reduced in size, and I am feeling much improved. I know when I am sick and it just takes our medical practitioners to listen look and fee when when describe what we are feeling in our own bodies. Since the FMS began this is a constant complaint with me. Even something simple can set my neck all aflame again. Thank you for the wonderful newsletter

October 17, 2010 at 10:45 pm
(17) LeylaA says:

When I opened the link to this article, I was so glad to see that there are others out there that understand what it is like to have these unexplained symptoms! I just had problems with swollen lymph nodes under my jaw, near the ears, last week. The pain radiated upward to my ears, and was horrible. I also had this all-over feeling like I might get a cold and was weak. I tried using cold therapy on the swollen areas and took acetimenophen, but ended up having to rest in bed.

October 19, 2010 at 9:54 am
(18) Michelle W says:

My experience with CFS started after getting Mono in 8th grade. I have been getting the same symptoms return periodically for the past 30 years. I do get the swollen and tender lymph nodes, but what is strange is that I also get a rash on my lymph nodes along my neck and under my arms. Does anyone else have that issue? Another puzzle for me is that my symptoms strongly correspond with the seasons. In the summer I can easily do strenuous exercise for an hour or more, but come October, a slow 15 minute walk will have me laid up for days. Anyone else experience this?

October 20, 2010 at 12:22 am
(19) Penny R. says:

Michelle, have you had blood tests for the HHV6 or has a Dr. diagnosed you with Shingles? About 8 years ago I ended up at the E.R. with Shingles. Since then I experienced rashes in the neck area. One Dr. says it’s shingles and another says it’s the HHV6.virus. I’ve had so many breakouts that I don’t attempt keeping track. Currently I’m taking Valtrex,which seems to be helping with the breakouts. As I said in my previous blog, I’m experiencing pain in the neck and behind my ears, can’t wear glasses or sunglasses. This disease is certainly a mystery and very hard to deal with. Good Luck, Penny R.

October 22, 2010 at 4:09 am
(20) beckie says:

Ive suffered with fibro/cfs for 18 years, but only recently suffered with swollen glands in my neck, one docter said there was nothing there, and the other docter said she could feel something and sent me for bloods but it came back fine, but i worry that it could be something more serious, although the more i read,im sure its my condition, but wonder why ive only just started suffering with it, the pain is a real deep ache on my left gland in neck, which has been comong and going for 4-6 months and lasts up to 2 wks at a time then dies off for a bit,weird but worrying,i shouldnt be surprised really,as have every other side effect to fibro/cms thats possible, the older i get, the worse it gets, my docters always fob me off as dont seem to know much about it, does anyone else have the same problem?

October 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm
(21) Sonya H. says:

I was diagnosed with FMS in 2000. A few years later I started having aching across my upper chest where there is a lymph chain. Other glands were swollen and the doctor put me on antibiotics, which helped. Later I was also diagnosed with CFS and I do have chronic lymph swelling and pain in the armpits,across the upper chest and in my neck. My symptoms seem to flare badly around the time of my period. I was also finally tested for a bunch of things and those that I tested positive for were EBV, CMV and parvo. My blood work is always normal for everything except I tend to have elevated MCV and MCH, which fluctuates. The doc says I don’t have myeloplastic syndrom, though which runs in my family. Usually taking Ibuprophen helps. Hot tubs do wonders!!

October 23, 2010 at 8:22 pm
(22) Lisa P says:

I have had problems with swollen and painful glands all the way back to when I was a child. I always got strep, and my ears hurt all the time. A few years ago they finally took my tonsils out because they were so impacted. But it didn’t stop the swolllen galnds or the earaches. I also can relate to behind the ears and the back of the head/neck area. Feels bruised all the time. I guess i never put my fibro and that together. Something I should mention to my doc I guess.

October 28, 2010 at 1:28 am
(23) andrea says:

Have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and now possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis. I have had swollen glands in my neck on and off for a couple of years. Now lately feels as if I am choking. Recent MRI shows a lot of degenerative changes in my neck. Could be related. I feel very sorry for any one experiencing this. It is a very disconcerting feeling.

November 16, 2010 at 3:14 pm
(24) kt says:

OH YES..another common denominator in Fibro! For years I have had tender, sometimes painful bumpy nodes in my neck/jaw area. Dr. was mystified! Put me on antibiotics and of course they did nothing to alleviate the problem. The more I read/hear/experience fibro symptoms the more I am amazed. How can so many people have so many of the same symptoms and not have fibro?

May 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm
(25) Katrina says:

I had reactivated EVB in June 2010 followed by CFS then FMS. Have experience swollen painful lymphs, choking feeling, plugged ears, increased thick salive, radiating tingling, throbbing in neck and ears, lump in back of throat, anxiety, and general un-well feeling, These symptoms worsen with colds, flu, cold sore, cold weather, stress, lack of sleep and over living(by CFS/FMS standards)My physician explains it as a symptom of extreme fatigue. Medical students experience these same symptoms during their studies. Yoga and meditation help refocus my energy. I do both daily at home as it takes too much energy to go to any classes. I find slowing down my over active system does help with all symptoms. Concentrated cherry juice(Cherry Lane) 1-2 tablespoons taken 1 hour before bed helps me stay asleep all night. It has natural melatonin, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory.
I also am a medical professional hit by this disease. I have had to slow life down to a snail pace. Very difficult for a type A’s. My heart goes out to all of my fellow suffers. It is truly the silent disease. Thanks for sharing.

October 20, 2011 at 4:59 pm
(26) Kellie says:

I have just been through a series of Xrays and CT scans because of my persistent swollen lymph nodes in my neck and inner elbows, as well as so much blood work I should have collapsed by now. Toss in intermittent fevers and night sweats, and the docs worried about lymphoma. I’ve even been to an oncologist who wants to do a bone marrow biopsy to ensure that I don’t have lymphoma. I’m convinced it’s all my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, but just in case it is something worse, I am not comfortable with refusing the tests. Tuesday I had a colonoscopy, which showed nothing problematic, but now I’m starting to have a fibro flare complete with swollen nodes and CFS symptoms.

I was diagnosed with FMS/CFS by a DO that specialized in those problems, then undiagnosed by a rheumatologist, then rediagnosed by a different rheumatologist. I’ve seen an infectious disease doctor, an internist and the oncologist. Wouldn’t it be nice to have one of those diseases that was obvious and treatable!

January 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm
(27) vicki says:

I have had fibro for a;most 10 yrs. and every yr.a new sympton pops up and now it is the swelling and painful lymp nodes behind my ears. Being sick with the flu or a common cold is harder for me than others around me. Most people do not recognize fibro. but I am fortunate to have a good dr. who does. I am on a muscle relaxer for nighttime and mobic for days. To help me get over the stress that some of this causes I tale paxil and this has made a great difference in my attitude and how I handle things.
This latest swelling of lymph nodes is painful and antibiotics do nothing to help. I have had a sinus infection and the antibiotics did not help with the swelling or pain but helped me get over the infection. My dr. says my problem is that I will not rest enough.

February 28, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(28) JL says:

Somewhat relieved to read all of your comments. I have had swollen nodes in my neck for years, usually more right before my cycle. Recently, I’ve had sore armpits, but much more on the right side. Glands under my chin are sore, and behind my right knee. I’ve seen at least five doctors, they find nothing in blood tests (other than the predisposition to have Chron’s), had a colonoscopy and endo biopsy. Seems none of them will/can help me with the swollen/sore lymph nodes issues. I also have that terrible swelling/feeling like I’m going to choke sensation, off and on; plus just don’t feel well and fatigued. It’s very depressing! One doc gave me a Rx for anti anxiety meds, but honestly if they would find out what is causing this I wouldn’t be so anxious.

March 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm
(29) Chastity says:

Hi everyone, so glad to read that I am not alone in this Fibro madness! I have felt the fatigue and pain for almost 2 years now but only recently was I diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. At first the docs told me I was depressed. Finally after taking 60mg of Cymbalta and still feeling widespread pain and fatigue, the doc prescribed gabapentin. I am starting to feel some relief and I urge all of you out there who haven’t tried this drug to explore it. I also have the painful swollen nodes and was concerned about lymphoma. Reading your posts has helped ease my mind as it seems to be a symptom of fibro. Thank you all for your posts, and God Bless you all.

April 11, 2012 at 11:09 pm
(30) Irina says:

I noticed my hands and feet are swollen when my nodes hurt, i noticed that whenever i eat carbs my body hurts more and i get dizzy. After i exercise the nodes hurts a coup,e of days later and usually goes away the next day.

April 11, 2012 at 11:09 pm
(31) Irina says:

May 19, 2012 at 9:17 pm
(32) Andrea Cota says:

I have used several remedies including vitamin supplement D-3, up to 8,000 IU’s throughout the day. Seems to reduce swelling temporarily. A lot of sleep works best, at least 8 to 10 hours a day. Also try to stay away from environments where people are always sick. Working in schools is the worst for catching viruses. Hope you all feel better soon.

June 25, 2012 at 6:23 am
(33) Cher says:

ISSUE: My lymph nodes have been enlarged for more than 3 yrs. I had a biop 3 yrs ago, on 3 nodes from RT arm; cause was not found. After the biop, more nodes swelled & became larger. Now they are under both arms and in the growing. They are large, hard, unmovable & painful. (I also have other lumps running up and down arms & legs, not where lymph nodes are located. My doctors do not know the cause of either issue.)
HISTORY: Fibromyalgia over 30 yrs; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome over 15 yrs; Auto Immune Disorder, plus other issues. I have had biopsies; blood tests; MRIs; Mammograms; … with NO answers. Both types of lumps range in size from pea to walnut; both are very painful.
TREATMENT: I receive I.V. Therapy every 3 wks (lidocane infusion) for Fibromyalgia; use Fentanyal patch for Chronic Pain. NSAIDS for breakthrough pain, migraines, arthritis…; hot packs & massage for pain. swelling & circulation.
SUMMERY: I would give anything to know the cause, control it, stop the pain & have it GONE! I hope this helps someone, OR someone has the answer that will help me!

June 28, 2012 at 7:32 pm
(34) Judi says:

I had to read some of these over again because I could have written them, myself, but didn’t think I’d visited this site before! I contracted mono because I was tech support – I handled the keyboards and mice from student labs repairing machines, cleaning viruses, reinstalling windows, etc. (probably because I bite my fingernails) I never went to a doctor before that.

Back problems followed, myofascial pain disorder and fibromyalgia diagnosed. Then migraines, Hypersomnia, hypoxia demyelanating disease of the central nervous system, allergies have exploded and I cannot go out in public as cologne is everywhere, and avoiding smoke is impossible. I get pneumonia it won’t go away and cough so hard it is impossible to explain and lasts for months living on antibiotics and prednisone ..

Now, I add a mild stroke hypogammaglobulinemia. Spondylosis, degenerative disk disease, and I need knee replacements but I am too allergic to the metals.

I’m working my heating pad to death. Neck, knees , lower back, etc . But these swollen glands are miserable! I’m feverish but my temperature usually runs 95 and if it is 98 – then *I* have a fever. My pcp knows, but that’s it. Would a steroid shot would work. Have any of you had those for the glands?

One woman said of her severe allergies and fibro that she had a few glutathione IV’s and felt human once again. I could find no way to contact her and she hadn’t updated her site in a very long time. Anyone here heard of this treatment?

July 3, 2012 at 12:04 am
(35) Judy says:

I believe that the swollen lymph nodes somehow cause fibro not the other way around. I was diagnosed with Lymphoedema many many years prior to getting fibro. I have have been having regular massages for my lymphoedema but was only taught ot drain my major nodes. After researching I discovered that in most of the areas that I get extreme pain there is a lymph node. This particularly applied to just under my breast where the underwiring of my bra would sit. Since my husband has started working on the singular nodes that are scattered around my body my pain has subsided and I feel heaps better. Maybe doctors are looking at this the wrong way around. Maybe a sluggish lympathic system causes fibro not the other way around.

August 13, 2012 at 6:53 pm
(36) Karen Crosby says:

I have suffered for years with painful neck glands, usually under the jaw, and I was diagnosed with fibro about 8 years ago. Lately I have had a long period of the swollen neck glands, but also in the sides of the neck which seems to come on at night and causes paid when trying to lay my head on the pillow. This is very painful and causes problems with my sleep patterns which, as we all know are bad enough for fibro sufferers. I teach yoga and I never let my fibro spoil or control my life, but sometimes i feel the need for help and dont know where to turn!
Anyone know what I can do? If it is walk on hot coals – bring it on!!

September 3, 2012 at 8:00 am
(37) Sharon says:

I have just spent an agonising 5 weeks waiting to hear if i had lypmhoma.
I have had lymphadenopathy in my neck since Feb which has been very painful and achy most of the time. It gets worse the more tired I am. I’m only running on about 15%-20% of my normal energy levels and as a consequence am currently off sick. In fact it’s hard on some days for me to function at all.
I also have night sweats and find that as well as being physically tired I am also mentally tired and find it hard to concentrate.
My Consultant told me 5 weeks ago that I could have lymphoma.
I went up for surgery today to have a lymph node removed, but after an Ultra Sound they have decided that they are reactive and not lymphoma!! Of course I am over the moon!
My symptoms sound so similar to all yours, it’s quite a relief!
I have suffered from depression for 2 years and Doctors like to blame everything on my depression!
Where do I go from here, I need to go back and see my Consultant but I know he doesn’t know what to do with me!!

October 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(38) Mary says:

So many of your comments are similar to mine. I was diagnosed with FM four years ago, but know I have suffered with it for many years. I have had a sinus infection for two weeks and have experienced a painful swollen, almost pulling sensation in my neck, along the jawline. My husband has been noticing swelling in my clavicle area that does go down after a while, but then re-appears for no reason. I also have ETD (eustation tube dysfunction) which affects the middle ear connecting to the nasopharynx…so when I get flares or am sick, my ears are full and swollen. The swelling is just so traumatic at times.

I take Lexapro and also an anti-inflammatory, acid reflux medication, allergy medication….but also vitamins and a probiotic.

I can certainly feel for all of you and it is interesting how doctors will blame our troubles on depression instead of understanding that we are depressed because we all don’t feel 100%…there needs to be more research on chronic conditions and we women need to be given more information.

November 19, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(39) Joy says:

My inner thigh has been sore and swollen for 3 mths. now, never been diagnosed with FM but as I am reading the symptoms I have alot of them. Could this be caused by FM.

November 20, 2012 at 12:34 am
(40) penny says:

Last time I posted my pain was very severe behind my ears and neck. I can’t wear glasses or a necklace. The pain is unbearable, at times. New symptoms have appeared, lower back pain along with pelvic pain. I saw my GYN. last week, and she did a ultrasound. Also ordered CA-125 blood test. So far all is negative. Has anyone else suffered with these symtoms? Blessings to all.

December 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm
(41) Windingdown says:

Yes, I get them too, I have fibro/cfs, and odd as it sounds as soon as I take vitamin D3 in amount more than 400 IU few times a week I get sluggish glands.. I use a self lump massage I found on youtube it does help, I use two fingers on one side of my ear and the other two on the other side of my ear and pressure down to my neck.. it helps.. Doctors really dont know what they are talking about, we who have this illness honestly know more than 95% of Doctors. The support groups and research teach us all what to expect and how to help.. BEST OF LUCK to us all.. I refuse to give up though I have no life any more.. if not for my online support I would be lost. Cheers

December 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm
(42) Helen says:

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 10 years ago after a long search for answers. I have been getting swelling in the right side of my throat, hard to swallow, especially if my head is turned…..this is a new symptom and I was pretty concerned until I read these comments. Thank you for saving me yet another trip to a doctor that has no answers!
I excersise and eat healthy, I get as much rest as possible even if that is not in the form of sleep. Some days are better than others. Good luck to all of us, this is a predominately womens disease and we all know that means not much research.

January 24, 2013 at 3:46 pm
(43) Jo Devine says:

I’ll say it because no one else brought it up. What about Myofascial Dysfunction in causing restrictions to engorge/restrict lymph nodes? I’ve had lymph pain (what I call it) pressure in legs, groin, armpits, neck, diaphram. My Dr. just scratches his head.

January 28, 2013 at 6:57 pm
(44) Jan Jenks says:

I have Fibro my arms get so swollen around my elbow when i touch it I can feel the lumps and it is so tender, it travels up to my shoulder and the only relief I get is to wear a sling to take the pressure away. I also notice I am extremely exhausted all the time I do take Lyrica but I do not like the side effects.

January 30, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(45) Penny Richardson says:

I realize our posts have been related to swollen lymph nodes and pain, which I also experience, but recently I’ve benn hit hard with GI problems.
I was diagnosed with CFS and Fibromyalgia in 1991, and have had GI problems thru-out the illness. This bout seems to be more severe and lasting for a longer period of time.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated,

Penny

February 22, 2013 at 7:11 pm
(46) jan says:

My glands are so swollen and my jaws hurt so bad that it radiates down my neck into my chest. I have severe FMS but the jaw and neck pain were so severe that i went to ER thinking a heartattack. The drs said my heart looked fine but this pain is torture. Nothing seems to ease it. It helps to calm some of the anxiety knowing that i am not alone in this it seems.

Jan

February 23, 2013 at 11:45 am
(47) Mandi says:

Hi guys, Been suffering all these symptoms for many years. painful, swollen glands, generalised swelling, brain fog, neuralgia, exaustion, anxiety symtoms etc.
After twice been advised to avoid weat gluten and cow dairy products, I finally did it last year. my symptoms got worse for a few months but was doing a treatment course for fibromyalgia/ ME, with the optimum health clinic at the same time. After months of feeling worse I made a full recovery. I felt so good i started eating what I liked!

Alas, my brain fog and other symptoms returned. After a couple of weeks I realised, returned to the diet and now I am in the best health for 28 years!!!

I hold weat gluten (including rye and barley), cow dairy responsible for my ill health! though i think the help from the clinic was essential too, in that the ME/fibromyalgia experience had caused me to develop negaitve and unhelpful thinking patterns, due to the pain, alienation, lack of understanding and associated feelings of inadequacy etc, the experience imposed. it is worth a try folks but the gluten takes around 4 months to get out of your sysyem and intolerance is currently not detectable. There is a lot of world wide new information emerging on gluten intolerance! Good luck!

February 24, 2013 at 6:05 am
(48) Angie says:

I agree with (47) Mandi totally! I see a Holistic Dr. who found I had a Parasite and Yeast Candida, and probably Leaky Gut. As soon as I changed my diet and started my Organic diet, my FM symptoms deminished at least 75%! The swollen glands are no longer a bother unless I have a really stressful event in my life. Now if my FM acts up, it is a whole lot easier to manage. By the way, my Dr says most of his patients with FM are diagnosed with Yeast Candida and Parasites! He uses the Meridian Stress Test to diagnose toxicities. I am happy to say that I am about 95% recovered. I still have FM, but it’s manageable with a clean diet and exercise!

March 13, 2013 at 1:59 am
(49) Lianne says:

Currently awaiting diagnosis from rheumatologist who is ruling out RA etc but sure it’s cfs. A few days a go the whole of my neck, jaw and chin went crazy with pain and slightly swollen nodes. Difficult to move my head or tilt it back! Is this normal, it’s frightening! It coincided with my period, I got a milder version last month. The most painful is right beneath my chin if I touch it it really hurts. First time my chin glands have ever done this, normally with a cold etc it’s just the jaw and neck :/ my doc just said see my rheumatologist about it as its all linked to what is wrong with me.

Don’t want to get out of bed today but have to. Hope you guys are all doing ok x

March 13, 2013 at 2:02 am
(50) Lianne says:

Sorry forgot to add…My muscles over my jaw line also feel tender and a bit swollen too, has anyone ever had this or should I be visiting my doc again? Hate all this worry :(

March 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm
(51) Alex says:

Swollen nodes and gel like swelling over right clavicle that comes and goes. 25 years old and 114 lbs. no diagnosis yet but two lymph node biopsies have come out benign. Anyone else?

March 22, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(52) Arletta says:

I have had chronically swollen lymph nodes on my neck, right behind the jaw ever since I was about 16. That is, other ones are swollen, too, but, these ones are HUGE.

Never heard of the manual massage, until now. I was actually searching for information on herbal remedies or anything else helpful; so, thank you!

For my part, up to now, the only thing I have found that gives any relief at all is oil pulling. If I can handle doing it at least once a day for an extended number of days, they do start draining (as do my sinuses) and suddenly I’ll have a jaw line , again, with less of a double chin.

I have not done it long enough to really have it make a long term difference, but, I get the idea that it might just do.

I’ll look up how to do the manual massage, now, and hopefully the combination of the two will be to good effect.

March 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(53) Penny Richardson says:

Hello again,

It’s sad to hear of all this suffering. As told prior, I was diagnosed with CFS/Fibro. in 1991. So many symptoms and few answers.
My current issue is nerve pain in the face and head. It feels like electric shocks in the brain. I also have a rash back of neck, so I assume that this is another shingles attack. In the past I was seen in ER, due to unaware of a Shingles possibly. So back on the Anti-Virals.
I pray for everyone that has CFS/Fibro.

Penny

June 20, 2013 at 8:10 am
(54) Michelle L says:

Sad to read all of the comments about fibro and swollen lymph nodes. But, at the same time I’m feeling some reassurance that I’m not crazy and experiancing very similar symptoms. Just part of the life of a FB sufferer.:(

July 11, 2013 at 5:32 pm
(55) billie dunlavey says:

hi there i was dianosed last year with fibro after 8 years of coming up empty. my question is does anyone else get numness in their jaw when the lymph nodes in the jaw are inflmed? i get the preasure feverish feeling in my ears and armits and i have the traveling pain up my neck and all along the jaw line to the center of the throat and somtimes it feels numb or tingles, also i have a big knot trigger spot on the top of my shoulder a little bit behind the colar bone and if i push hard into it i can feel the pain travel up my neck and into my jaw. has anyone else ever done or felt that? it seems like in th elast month im getting new symptoms aching between the shoulder blades and lower back pain, also my first symptom was my feet hitting the floor first thing in the morning it hurt to stand, i am fighting going on meds and am wondering if i should now because im getting very exausted

August 5, 2013 at 10:17 pm
(56) fried chicken recipe alton brown says:

Lay the chicken pieces skin side down in your baking dish.
Deep frying wings has always been the manner
in which most people will cook them, yet what
a lot of people do not fully understand is
that you can make them lots of different ways. In a casserole, bring to boil 2 cup of water with chicken feet, put fire into low and simmer 10 minute.

October 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm
(57) phil james says:

Well I’m a 42year old guy with all the symptoms of cfs and fibromyalgia,had it for 8years you name it and I’ve had the test for it chronic pain,stomach problems headaches swollen glands ,waking up after 12 hours sleep still exhausted,the list goes on and on I’m also depressed living with this terrible illness with no cure and worst of all no one believes I’m ill not even my doctor !

October 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(58) Eileen says:

I have diagnoses of fibro. and M.E./CFS. Tonight was stretching and rubbing my stiff neck and found a hard solitary lump, low on the right side of my neck. After a bit of investigating and rubbing it, it got quite sore and the skin itchy. Don’t know if it’s worth getting it checked out by GP ‘just in case’ or if it’s gonna be another ‘nothing abnormal detected’ job.

December 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(59) kathyc says:

Isn’t there something someone can do? As I lie here and read everyone’s comments, it saddens me to think there are so many of us who struggle with the symptoms of fibro/cfs. I was diagnosed five years ago. Today, I am struggling with extreme fatigue, painful and swollen lymph nodes and just feeling blah. I feel like I’m experiencing mono all over again. Thank you to everyone that posted your concerns, your symptoms, and your answers to questions. You have made me feel better about what is going on in my body. It helps in knowing that I’m not alone, and that someone understands. I slept all day yesterday because of the pain that I was suffering. I thought I was dying. My joints are throbbing, and I’m exhausted. I guess it is a fibro flare-up. I just want it to go away. I hate getting sick all of the time. My friends and family say they understand, but I can see it in their eyes that they don’t. Heck, I don’t. Anyways, I’m sorry for whining. Thank you for helping me know that I’m not alone.

December 2, 2013 at 2:03 pm
(60) Penny Richardson says:

Eileen, were you able to your GP, and if so what treatment was advised? I’ve been having painful lymph glands, along with itching. Of course I get on the computer and check it out. Sometimes not a good idea.

February 25, 2014 at 3:14 am
(61) Lisa H says:

It took 2 years to find out why but I was told by my Dr at the Cleveland Clinic thAt with Chronic Fatigue Shndrom give lymph nodes will swell off and on. Mine began with pain in the right side if my neck and collarbone area. They would swell off and on. I had a cluster of swollen lymph nodes at my collarbone which was 1.5 cm and near my armpit and breast which was 1.7 cm. none of the doctors I went to over the last 2 yrs had any knowledge of lymph nodes swelling like this off and on when all my tests came back within “normal limits”. It took me going to Cleveland to find out what “new studies” have found.