1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Ginger for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By June 30, 2010

Food of the Week: Ginger

Even in the drug-centered Western health care system, doctors recommend ginger to help with nausea, vomiting and digestion. In Eastern medicine, it's believed to help treat many problems common in those of us with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome: flu-like symptoms, headaches and painful periods. Some studies suggest it may also be effective against heart disease and cancer.

Ginger is also a proven anti-inflammatory, and a recent study shows it may help relieve muscle pain. You can take it in supplement form, cook with it, or do both to get the effect.

A nice thing about ginger is that it's easy to find and use. It's in Chai and some herbal and medicinal teas. It's in some baked goods (mmm, I love ginger snaps!) You can find the powdered spice as well as the root in just about any grocery store. It's easy to cook with and works in a lot of different recipes.

One of my favorite ways to use ginger is on chicken -- I just sprinkle a little ginger and a little cardamom on each breast, and then I usually fry it in olive oil along with some vegetables. Everything picks up the flavor and it's delicious. (It would probably work with baking and broiling as well.)

Have you used ginger medicinally? How do you get it in your diet? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo Blue Jean Images/Getty Images

Comments
June 30, 2010 at 12:04 pm
(1) Jodith says:

I haven’t used ginger as a supplement, but I use it to cook. My favorite use is in sweet potatoes. I put the canned sweet potatoes, with juice, into a casserole and add finely minced ginger, brown sugar and some butter, and cook at 350 for around 30 minutes. My whole family loves it. I also use ginger occasionally when I make carrots.

Maybe I’ll look at adding some ginger to my tea in the morning. That’s another nice way to get your ginger intake. Just add a couple of slices of ginger to your tea cup while your tea is brewing. It spices up black tea nicely.

July 3, 2010 at 10:15 am
(2) Mummylady says:

I have been taking 1000 mg of ginger twice a day for several years–my doctor originally suggested it as a way to help me metabolize sugars. It has seemed to help the severe headaches I used to get so that is a plus. I take it in capsule form.
I also use candied ginger to help prevent motion sickness and it really does work for that.

July 3, 2010 at 5:00 pm
(3) joni says:

yes, ginger is the best for sea sickness or car sickness. knew a helicopter pilot who could keep flying using ginger–chewed the leaves.

also ginger is wonderful for the stomach and digestion. this is odor you smell when entering a chinese restaurant.

July 3, 2010 at 5:02 pm
(4) marie says:

I use fresh ginger root a lot in cooking..very good in chicken or tofu stir fry dishes. Also very soothing in hot tea…just cut up couple of slices and let steep in the tea…I even chew on the pieces for extra flavor…little spicy but good.
I never heard of taking it for motion sickness..hmmm….might try it for that.

July 3, 2010 at 5:48 pm
(5) georgia says:

The health food section of the local grocery stores carry ginger in the bulk food department. I’ve seen some with low sugar and/or raw sugar. It’s a delicious treat after a meal.

July 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm
(6) Nina Sugarek says:

I love ginger. I use ground ginger when I pan sear fish. I also eat crystalized ginger and use fresh ginger occassionally.

July 3, 2010 at 9:26 pm
(7) Mary says:

I eat ginger daily. I cook with ginger root often, but I also eat crystallized ginger after soaking it overnight to remove the sugar. Dr. Andrew Weil once mentioned that he snacks on crystallized ginger as a treat. I find that eating a few pieces a day satisfies my sweet tooth even without the sugar coating. I do not tolerate sugar in any form, and the ginger is a real treat for me. Sometime I cut it up into small pieces over my gluten free cereal.

July 4, 2010 at 8:28 am
(8) Tammie says:

I use it in capsules when my stomach is upset, but I also use it regularly as a spice…… two of my favorite ways to use it are:

on toast (instead of cinnamon sugar, I use pumpkin pie spices and stevia),

and in a pumpkin smoothy….

a can of packed pumpkin, 3 ice cubes, pumpkin pie spices, stevia, and around 2 cups of milk or milk substitute (you may have to play around with the amt of milk and ice cubes to get the right thickness)…..this will make an entire blender full

very healthy, low in calories, filling, and tastes soooo good!

July 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm
(9) susie says:

Ginger…. I either juice it or chop the heck out of it… if I juice it I add to juice to organic herbal sun tea, add organic lemon juice and stevia… if I chop it.. I add it to the tea while in the sun. The drink goes a long way and besides being refreshing… I know it is having a positive effect on my entire system.

January 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm
(10) Lola Dee says:

I recently used fresh ginger and dried ginger made into tea to cure system wide inflammation. Works like a charm, better than muscle relaxer or anti inflammatory pills! It gave me instant and lasting pain relief! Like a miracle, it put out the fire of pain that was coursing through my whole body.