1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Inujuries & Slow Healing With Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By June 10, 2010

I was looking at my hands and arms recently and realized the myriad red spots I've grown used to seeing (a side effect of training a puppy) have been there since February and March.† They're not as angry looking as they once were, but it still looks like I've got some kind of rash.† For comparison, I looked at my husband's puppy-teeth marks -- or rather, I tried to.† His have healed completely.

I had to wonder if this was yet another symptom of fibromyalgia. I can't find much of anything research wise (which didn't surprise me), but I did find questions about it in a lot of forums, with enough "me too" responses to make coincidence unlikely. I didn't see much about slow healing in people with chronic fatigue syndrome, but it wouldn't be a shock to find out it was common in that sand box as well.

So why would we heal slowly?† When you think about some of our underlying physiology, it makes sense.† Researchers know that we have several abnormalities related to the skin: we're prone to tissue over-growth, such as skin tabs, adhesions and fatty tumors called lipomas; many of us bruise and scar easily.† Clearly, something is misfiring in our cells.† Emerging research increasingly suggests that we have mitochondrial dysfunction.

Mitochondria are tiny parts of our cells that produce energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP).† Our mitochondria appear to be rather bad at their job, meaning we don't have enough energy for basic cellular functions.† Mitochondrial dysfunction could play a role in many of our symptoms -- including healing -- and some researchers even believe it's at the core of our illnesses.† Then again, many doctors disagree, and this remains an area of controversy.† (Read more: Mitochondrial Dysfunction.)

Because I'd really like to get rid of the puppy scratches on my hands before my dog's on geriatric food, I did some research on healing and found that the essential amino acid lysine can help.† I started taking it a week ago, and my red spots have cleared up more in that week than in the preceding 2 months.† I also learned something else interesting about lysine -- it can help stop hair loss, which is another one of our symptoms!† This is from About.com Thyroid Guide Mary Shomon:

"In one study, Dr. Hugh Rushton, a professor at Portsmouth University, also found that 90 percent of women with thinning hair were deficient in iron and the amino acid lysine. Lysine is the most difficult amino acid to get enough of via diet. Lysine helps transport iron, which is the most important element in the body and essential for many metabolic processes. When lysine and iron levels are low, the body probably switches some hair follicles off to increase levels elsewhere."

Is that what's happening in us?† We can't say for sure, but it does give us something to try.† Poultry and fish have the most lysine, and you can also get L-lysine supplements.† Here's a great overview from the University of Maryland Medical Center: Lysine.

Do you heal slowly?† Has it caused any major problems for you?† Have you found anything that helps?† Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Steven Puetzer/Getty Images

Comments
June 10, 2010 at 10:19 am
(1) Quinn says:

Yes! Thanks for sharing. I have brown spots and scars that never really healed from CFS. And, like you said, it takes WAY longer than the normal person. In fact I just went to the dentist yesterday, and oddly enough it took a long time for the lidocaine to kick in (~20 mins) and when it did it didn’t wear off for more than 4 hours. I hadn’t eaten dinner, and now I’m stuck with several weeks of raw gum/chewed inner lip healing from my impatience and eating dinner anyway with half numb lip and cheek!

June 10, 2010 at 1:03 pm
(2) Nancy A. says:

I heal up okay after cuts and even after surgery that I’ve had over the years. I bruise very easily, though. There’s one unusual thing about my skin. I have lots of very small, round red spots on my body. They’re called “cherry hemangiomas”. They’re benign but I’ve always wondered about the connection with my CFS/fibromyalgia.

June 10, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(3) Carol says:

I heal VERY slowly too. It’s caused problems for me a couple of times. The worst thing is that my arms are covered with scars from my animals–so much so that an ER doc once asked me if I was a self-injurer. Mederma has helped some of the old scars, but I think I will try Lysine to see if I can’t heal some of this stuff up!

June 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm
(4) Diane says:

I too heal very slowly, I also get infections easily , every operation, or procedure I have had done, I have had problems with infection and healing, it took six months to recover from an arthroscopy that should have only took six weeks to recover from.

June 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(5) Kellie says:

I have always had problems with healing slowly, but I’m also a type 1 diabetic. I take lysine on an ongoing basis and have found it helps a lot. This was something suggested to me by my grandmother who had lupus and it helped her a lot. If you have dry skin, fish oil pills help and you can get them from GNC with lemon flavor, so your not tasting fish all day.

June 10, 2010 at 8:09 pm
(6) abotbensussen says:

since i think most healing takes place while asleep, and fibros have a terrible time getting to and staying in stage 4, restorative and healing sleep, i’m not surprised i didn’t heal easily. once i began taking xyrem at night and getting a good and deep sleep then i began to recover from the day’s activities.

June 11, 2010 at 4:57 am
(7) Willow says:

Gotta throw a ‘me too!’ in here. I had a bad reaction to laundry detergent over a year ago. Anywhere that had constant exposure (e.g. clothing) was affected, but my legs really took the brunt of it combined with RLS because they were constantly rubbing against the bedsheets. Everywhere blistered, and it took about a year before the original blisters finally healed and now the scars left behind are so fragile that it takes next to nothing to open them up again. It’s awful and I think L-lysine is going on my shopping list.

June 11, 2010 at 9:33 am
(8) Debi says:

Thank you so much for sharing. I had no idea that the slow healing, scarring, bruising and skin tags could be from my Fibromyalgia. I have been going crazy trying to reason it all out.

June 11, 2010 at 4:53 pm
(9) Tish says:

Another me too. I have found something that seems has helped. I had a bad abrassion burn from a car accident and tried 2nd Skin. It’s called moisture wound care. Keeps the skim moist while it heals, pulls infection away from it and I heel at least 2x faster when I use it. It heals a large area in very short time. I started using it on more minor cuts and scrapes that hadn’t healed well for months, and it did the exact some thing. They have all healed.

It’s not cheap, but I cut the square in to smaller pieces that just cover it wound and then cover it with a band aid or first aid tape.

I had a bad car accident 6 weeks ago and have a mild traumatic brain injury and am having a terrible time and not healing well from all of the soft tissue damage or the brain injury. Has anyone else had experience of having Fibro and having to heal from something like an accident. I can’t work, I can barely leave the house. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

June 11, 2010 at 8:14 pm
(10) vera says:

Even if I get a paper cut, it gets infected and takes forever to heal. I always figured it was the fms…just another of the “joys” ugh! of this stupid ‘syndrome’ or whatever you want to call it. It just sucks.

June 11, 2010 at 8:31 pm
(11) Erika says:

I have CFS and it takes forever for my cuts & bruises to heal. Recently to heal my cuts (and the red marks they leave behind) Iíve been using 100% Pure Vitamin E Oil from Jamieson (look in the vitamin isle). It works much better than polysporin with vitamin E and my cuts have been healing remarkably fast. You just rub it into your skin a few times per day. Hope this helps!

June 12, 2010 at 6:33 am
(12) Brett Zamir says:

Seems a pretty strong consensus here… Ditto for me…

June 12, 2010 at 9:09 am
(13) georgia says:

Thank you for this article. I have been very concerned about what is going on with my skin. Skin tags & AK have come on out of the blue, like an explosion. I was just thinking it was from too many years at the beach as a child…but non of my siblings or mother have this. The slow healing of cuts and bruises I find improve when I get aggressive with my juicing and green intake. That really makes a difference overall with my energy and endurance as well.

June 12, 2010 at 11:13 am
(14) Marilyn Bloomer says:

I did not have an auto accident but 2 hip replacements in one year are probably a similar injury. Took about 6 to 7 months to heal. My physical therapist who is about 30 years old has fibro and had an auto accident had a similar heal time. I can only say be patient and very kind to your body. My wounds healed in the normal time as did hers but the exhaustion recovery was loooong.

June 12, 2010 at 8:11 pm
(15) Susan says:

Another “me too” here! I’ve always bruised easily and use Arnica cream/gel/lotion/oil religiously. It’s all natural and also helps relieve pain/soreness/stiffness in joints and muscles. Just have to apply it asap after injuring yourself. For cuts and rashes I use an herbal salve made of Slippery Elm, Chamomile, Calendula, Tea Tree Oil and much more. This also needs to be applied asap. It and the Arnica will work even if you don’t apply it immediately, but not as quickly. Since being diagnosed with FM, I’ve noticed I get cuts and scrapes much more easily, probably because I’ve become so much more clumsy! :)

I had no clue that hair loss is a FM symptom! I have noticed more hair coming out in the brush and shower, but I thought the meds were the culprit. My hairstylist recommended I take Biotin and any/all Omega Fatty Acids.

Wishing you all many pain-free days and nights!

June 12, 2010 at 9:04 pm
(16) lydia says:

I had a sore on my breast for 3 months. Doctor sent me to a dermatologist. In the meantime waiting for the appt. I went to pool therapy for arthritis in my knees and lower back. The sore healed up after 2 appts. with therapy. The chlorine in the pool healed it. Hmm?

June 12, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(17) abotbensussen says:

I’VE Been using vitamin e oil on my finger nails and cuticles. they have been so fragile and dry that they were cracking vertically. now my nails are pretty and clean again. vitamin e oil, pure, did the trick. i still use it at night.

June 13, 2010 at 9:22 pm
(18) Nancy S says:

I went to the doctor because I was getting sores in my mouth that never seemed to heal. He suggested Lysine and so I’ve just started to take it on a regular basis. I sure hope it helps because these sore are misrable! I hope that it helps heal the sores on my arms as well.

June 13, 2010 at 11:19 pm
(19) Renee says:

Good evening fellow fibromites! Hope you are all having a peaceful pain limited night! Just an fyi as another positive for L-lysine, it is used for the prophylactic benefit of keeping Herpes Simplex Virus at bay, “cold sores” for humans and actually herpes virus in animals eyes. I’ve been through it with my kitten, they get the virus from their mom’s as born, it does help keep them healthy. Also it’s amazing the difference between scars that healed nicely before Fibro./CFS hit fully 6 years ago and ones that have occured since. I think I will add this to my supplements if I can find the time to swallow another pill or powder, haha…more than happy to if they are helping right! Staying positive is the key, I was in the “down” stage plenty of times but doesn’t make a difference in the disease process so positivity it is!!Even with such severe adrenal suppression I had a cortisol of 0.4, I can only go up from here ha! Good luck everyone, comfort to all!

June 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm
(20) eaglehaslanded says:

I am a 61 yr. old female with Fibro./CFS & last Jan. broke my leg in 3 places. After 2 hospital stays from hell & 2 operations I have discovered I don’t heal as fast as the “norm.” Surgeon said I should be farther along in my walking abilities. Ha! Thank goodness,however,the bones are healing normally. What’s “normal”. ??????

July 1, 2010 at 2:16 pm
(21) Karen says:

I too have the little red spots all over my skin (one where the V in my t-shirts is so it looks like a blemish daily and it’s getting old) and even have webby, red splotches on my feet that get worse in the sun and when I walk a lot. But besides that, I have a puppy too and oh my Lord, it’s so embarrassing to leave the house here in Florida without a long sleeved shirt on. I went to Disney World after a bout of blood drawings (since they messed up on one arm they went to the other and left me with two huge bruises) and then scratches and bite marks from my puppy. Boy, did I feel like someone that just literally came off the street and I was at Disney!!! I have a mark on my forearm, an area that was bruised by his baby tooth, that still hasn’t one away. I have a blister on my foot that hasn’t fully healed. I don’t have diabetes but have been told my B12 and iron levels were low and that may have something to do with it. It is frustrating!

July 2, 2010 at 9:13 pm
(22) cheryl says:

I was at my daughters last weekend and she said my legs look like that of a 7 yr old boy with all the scraps from piddling in my garden, these have been there since spring, I have noticed how slowly I heal, I have FM/CFS and I tested positive for Epstien Bar Virus my count was over 2500. I think they are on to something.

July 31, 2010 at 12:57 am
(23) Pat says:

OMG, I am reading all the posts. Have not been diagnosed with Fibro, although I believe I have all the symptoms, just can’t get a dr. to buy into it, didn’t know that cherry hemangiomas were part of the deal, have those. Was diagnosed with Vit D deficiency, been taking that and nails that never grew are actually pretty healthy as well as hair. Hasn’t done much for the fibro pain though. Any thoughts to help a newcomer?

October 10, 2010 at 11:01 pm
(24) Rachel says:

Wow I didn’t know all of this. Thanks for the information.

Also to help prevent hair loss try sleeping on silk pillowcases. http://www.essenceofsilk.com has the best prices & selection. Used for centuries to help keep hair styles fresh & help hair grow longer & stronger all while you sleep.

December 15, 2010 at 12:13 pm
(25) Stephanie says:

I have started healing much more quickly, and have had a radical reduction in virtually all of my FM/CFS sx’s from using rather high doses of transdermal magnesium (absorbed through the skin). I’ve had FM/CFS since I was a teenager, and this truly has made the biggest difference from anything I have ever tried. I went from being couch-bound to doing hour long dance classes 4-5x’s/wk after a few weeks of using the magnesium. I’ve taken oral mag. for many yrs, however only recently found out that it is not well absorbed through the digestive system. I haven’t worked in 10 yrs., and I am getting ready to reactivate my license in social work, and start working again! In addition to the magnesium, taking porcine thyroid has increased my energy/reduced my pain even that much more. There is excellent info. on thyroid support at:
Best of luck to you all!
ps I use the magnesium oil from ancient minerals, up to 1,500mgs/day. I have no affiliation with this company, just letting you know what has worked for me, and what I use.

December 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm
(26) Jolene says:

I heal slowly, bruise easily, and develop keloids constantly. I even had a bruise from a spider bite on the back of my calf that took over a year to heal. It just hit me as so odd that it would take that long.

I have Fibro with all the fixins’ too plus a genetic cancer but I honestly didn’t have problems with healing until the fibro started.

December 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm
(27) Carolyn says:

I had no idea that scarring may have something to do with my Fibro, but I definitely have noticed that things just don’t heal so well on me, that I do scar easily. I still have a small mark on the outside of my thumb from accidentally grating myself when my hand slipped grating cheese. I thought it was crazy that it would mark me like that and still see it several weeks later, but now it makes more sense. I bruise easily too and have for a long time. I wonder if Fibro is a reason why the Granuloma Annulare on my elbows never seems to dissipate. I’ve had it for years and it’s just ugly and sites I have read say it should normally clear up in a few years, but mine hasn’t. As a kid I had it on top of my feet, and that did clear, but I’ve had it around the elbow area for a long time now and really would like it gone! I wonder if Fibro delays that healing too?

December 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm
(28) Melanie says:

Me too! I recently went to get a tooth pulled and I swelled up and bruised really bad. People at work kept saying they had NEVER seen anyone react like that from getting a tooth pulled.
Another thing I wonder about….when I have dental work done, the dentists will ask if I take aspirin. I seem to bleed quite a lot during procedures. I never had this problem before Firbo. Anyone else have the bleeding?
Glad to know I am not alone!

December 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm
(29) Ghita says:

I thought it was my age (49) that was the reason that my bruises were healing so slowly… or not at all. I still have spots where I got hurt several years ago. It looks like a pattern here, so I’ll try to find that ‘Lysine’ here in Denmark.

December 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(30) Miss M says:

I had absolutely NO idea hair loss was due to FMS. My hair has been falling out in scary amounts for two years. NONE of my doctors, including my Rheumatologist, have said anything about it being linked to my FMS. I am so frustrated that it took me twenty years to be accurately diagnosed, eleven doctors, and I am STILL doing ALL the research to figure out what is wrong with me. I was just about to schedule an appointment with a Endocrinologist. WHY do we…..FMS…..patients have to go through this??? It is so stressful to our well being!!!!!

December 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm
(31) julie rhone says:

I thought I was the only one and just unlucky that every operation, dental treatment, illness and accidents seemed to go wrong or take longer than anyone else to get over, so I am so pleased to know that I am not alone. Even a scratch can go nasty and scar!

December 15, 2010 at 4:06 pm
(32) liz says:

So glad to find that others are the same way , anytime I have surgery of any kind I end up sicker than can be and healing can take months .I always need more meds to numb me or put me under and then my body is a mess. The doctors don’t belive me so I just stoped telling them till they figure it out ” 3 bottles and you can still feel this” they don’t even like putting me under anymore . any time I go to the doctors it’s always a new test they have me doing . So fed up so Im so glad to see that others are going though the same things going on with my body .

December 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm
(33) Windy says:

Well, I am constantly learning something new about FMS. My hair came out by the hands full when I was pregnant with my second child. I thought I was going bald. It did stop after she was born, but never regained the thickness I once had.
My doctor agrees with me that I have had FMS since the tender age of 8-9. I am 56 now. I used to get the little red spots, but since I started taking fish oil, they seem to have gone away. In fact, it has helped my skin a lot. I have lots of little skin tags, too. I do bruise easily, but normally they heal quickly as well as cuts. I don’t have a problem healing from surgery, though. However, if I bruise a bone or joint, it will take years to stop hurting.

I dropped something on the top of my foot a couple weeks ago and it is still swelling up and purple on the edges. I can’t wear anything on that foot but my flats, boots are out.

I will try the L-Lysine and see if it helps. I am already popping about 15 pills a day, what is a couple more, right? Thanks for the information!

One more thing. A few years ago I noticed my right ankle had a swelling on it. I asked my doctor and she told me what it was, but I don’t remember what she told me. She did say it was fatty tissue and harmless. I think it could be a limpoma. Not long ago, the left ankle developed one. I had no idea they could be linked to FMS. I am beginning to think everything that is wrong with me is caused by it.

December 15, 2010 at 11:09 pm
(34) Maria says:

I have noticed the slow or messed up healing over the last couple years as well… cuts take a long time to heal, cat scratches especially since I have a kitten that likes to kneed on me. The other thing is that I have a few old injuries that have never actually healed fully… the main one that is a problem is my right ankle, it was found to have no reflex. I have torn the ligaments in the past on that ankle and reading this the fibro could be why it never healed up right. I know I don’t sleep right and I know I wake up feeling like a truck hit me. I would agree with the statement that we dont get much restorative sleep and that could be why we dont heal.

December 15, 2010 at 11:41 pm
(35) Ann-Maree says:

My skin is slow healing and i’m always left with scars from the most minor scratch or mark. I even had laser treatment which helped a bit but not enough with some of the scarring. I might try lysine and see how i go.

December 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm
(36) Laura says:

Me too. For one, I am quite easily injured- I have no idea how I end up with so many unexplained cuts and bruises. But yes, they seem to last forever. I fell a month ago and bruised/cut my leg, and for most people it would clear up within 10 days. It looks like I fell 3 days ago. I have a metal allergy, which caused a scar on my stomach from buttons on jeans, and it came back a year ago and has yet to heal. I figured it was part of fibro- I’m surprised it isn’t an official symptom.

April 11, 2011 at 10:59 am
(37) MaryAnn says:

wow..me too. I have a great deal of dry skin patches. One day last week I apparently went to scratch my back while sleeping and left a big scratch mark which is all swollen and very painful. I thought I’d been bitten by something! Needless to say, my bra has been making it worse and I have been miserable. Nice to know that I am not going crazy and as always…misery loves company. So happy to have both fibro and hypothyroidism :(

June 8, 2011 at 1:22 pm
(38) Cathy says:

I have Fibro and CFS…as well as Lupus and yes, I heal very slow and bruise very easy. As a matter of fact, I mentioned to my rheumatologist, only yesterday, that I have so many little cuts/scratches that won’t seem to go away, as well as bruises that take forever to disappear too.
I’ve always known I was a ‘slow healer’ because of the Lupus, I learned way back when I was dx-ed. Not only do the cuts/scars, etc last long, simple colds or any illness seem to take double, or longer, to go away than the time it takes for others around me who get the same colds/bugs, to go away!! So I guess when you add the Lupus, Fibro and CFS together…I guess you have to stay away from sharp objects, bugs, germs,etc,etc,etc… lol

June 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm
(39) kat says:

So funny u brought this subject up now. Just a week or so ago I was telling my husband that a blister I had gotten over a month ago has barely healed. Also have a bruise for same time frame. I have fibromyalgia but also several auto-immune diseases. Thanks for the lysine tip.

June 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(40) Anonymous says:

Fibromyalgia is caused by quinolone antibiotics and should really be called quinolone toxicity syndrome. That may be difficult to believe but go back through your medical history and see if you took a quinolone antibiotic at any point (Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, etc…). You may have developed fibro immediately after taking them or it could take years for the issues to appear but they are related regardless. Look up the symptoms for fibro and then look up the symptoms for QTS; they are the same. Tendonitis, myalgias, arthralgias, neuropothies, insomnia, vision issues, etc… The brown spots mentioned by one poster are called hemangiomas and are related to vascular issues. I would also guess that some of you have seen small purplish dots on your skin which are actually pupura and are from vasculitis.

August 19, 2011 at 3:12 pm
(41) Jenn says:

I too have a very slow healing time. Minor scrapesor even mosquito bites stay forever. I also have a problem with healing piercings. I have had my lobes and my cartilage pierced for almost 5 years now and they are still not healed. I work at a tattoo studio and everyone is baffled at my predicament. The piercers have tried so much to get them to heal and still no luck. I will try the Lysine and see if it helps at all. If anyone else has this problem please let me know.

August 19, 2011 at 3:12 pm
(42) Jenn says:

September 15, 2011 at 12:03 am
(43) patti says:

I have suffered from severe fibromyaliga for 8years now. I feel like i am an expert on pain and pain management after all the trial and errors i went thru until i was able to find the correct doseages of meds to treat my pain, depression (that many of us suffer from as well), and sleepless nights. However, i assumed that my slow healing and easy bruding was a side effect of the various mefs i take to hae a somewhat better quality of life. It is intetesting to think that the diease is the cause and not the meds. I am going to do more research to see what i csn find. Thank you for sharing.

October 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm
(44) melinda says:

If you have fibromyalgia there is a high liklihood you are deficient in magnesium. Americans are not getting the magnesium they used to due to soil depletion as well as magnesium depleting diets and drugs (the worst were mentioned above like cipro or any floroquinolone). If you have fibromyalgia there is a strong possibility that magnnesium can cure you (yes I said cure). Oral magnesium supplements are not well absorbed. Get magnesium chloride salt flakes, pour a handful into a footbath, and soak your feet in hot water. You can pour a cup in the bathtub too. If you haven’t tried this then you haven’t really tried to solve your problem. Also, don’t expect your doctor to be of any help with curing your problem – and don’t listen to your doc if they tell you your blood test shows nothing. The body must maintain adequate magnesium in the blood and will deplete magnesium from the rest of the body (where almost all magnesium is stored) to keep the blood levels adequate. Calcium is the same – you can have adequate calcium levels in the blood but your bones could be depleted. Proper testing for magnesium is possible but your regular doc is ignorant of what we need to be healthy – proper nutrients and freedom from toxins. I won’t give a brand name but if you have fibromyalgia then transdermal (just means getting magnesium through the skin) magnesium is for you.

October 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm
(45) Javier says:

I also: slow healing. I have CFS, MCS, Fibro and on.
For the person asking about their brain being healed, I have had a brain injury from a treatment with humic & fulvic acids (Humifulvate) which I was told robbed my brain of its electrolytes. The two things that helped me the most were drinking about a tsp of salt in water every day and also taking 2% Lugol’s iodine mixed with water. It is the iodine that was the key! for the brain healing. I had to start with a very very small amount (way less than a drop) and build up.
There are several sources for info on this like the website iodine4health. In my case it was the iodine that was missing!!

May 16, 2013 at 10:54 pm
(46) Nancy R says:

I fell on December 31st and it took me over 2 months for the swelling and bruising to disappear. However I still have 3 marks on my leg that is still discolored and there are bumps underneath. Then I went in for surgery on my foot on 4/4/13 and it is healing very slowly. I know that I have wondered if this is not from the fibromyalgia or if there could be something else causing it. I have been checked for diabetes and I am ok there. The long recovery time is really getting difficult to deal with.

July 28, 2013 at 4:44 pm
(47) Cheryl Williams says:

Wow, reading these comments was like therapy! I have been feeling overwhelmed after all of the symptoms and doctor appts., I’ve become confused (and feel very alone). And I thought that I was an expert! If anyone knows a site where people can share health issues like this let me know.

Like one poster, I had hives (from Hashimoto’s/autoimmune hypothyroidism) and now I bleed at the lightest scratch -then I don’t heal. I also had fibromyalgia so severely, that I was on disability for a year, most of which I spent curled up and rocking on the floor, from pain.
The Hashi. diagnosis is new due to overlapping symptoms (fatigue, poor memory, dry skin…) I’ll try some of your ideas, and it sounds like some might need to consider thyroid issues. Good luck all!

August 6, 2013 at 6:16 am
(48) G says:

Undiagnosed but strongly suspect that my aches and pains are attributed to fms. However the problem with healing makes sense. My legs are the most noticeable as I often bump the while doing small tasks and they take several weeks to heal. I cut my leg once with a piece of wire while cutting grass and it took 8 weeks to heal and several antibiotics as the often get infected. I have finally taken the necessity of 8 hrs of sound sleep seriously and increased lyrica to 150 mgs twice a day. Exercise is a saving grace for me and struggled for years to be able to maintain consistency but withe help of a personal trainer for 4 weeks I am into a terriffic routine. Of course it gets interupted but I keep going back to it. It is more helpful then the multitude of massages, adjustments and meds I have taken. Although glad to have them as well. Thank you all for your sharing esp with the slow healing. When they get infected i have to do hot saline compresses and be careful not to get the cut wet. Happy healing folks, keep hope.

October 3, 2013 at 5:23 am
(49) Alexandra says:

I have scars from cuts and midge bits from 3 years back which have not gone away. Friend with Sytemic Lupus the same.

November 20, 2013 at 1:24 pm
(50) Caron says:

Trish, I was in a car crash 12 months ago and still healing but the examining doctor did tell me to expect a 12 month recovery date. I’m also still traumatised but finally starting counselling next week – it’s been a long haul.

November 28, 2013 at 6:42 am
(51) Bridgett says:

Hi, My daughter heals very slowly and bruises very quickly too. She has only recently been diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia with poly arthritis.
I am very grateful for the suggestion. We will try almost anything to give her, her teenager life back.
Thanks

April 4, 2014 at 10:30 pm
(52) LS says:

I was diagnosed with fibro ten years ago. First I was diagnosed with lupus and then mixed connective. I went for a third opinion. I used to bruise terribly, get sores in my mouth and cold sores. Most of that went away when I was diagnosed as Celiac two yrs ago. The dr thought that is what could of caused my fibro symptoms. I have found many people that have suffered while being undiiagnosed. 83% of people that have Celiac do not know it and drs do not test for it. I had no major stomach issues until I was extreme. I just got my first cold sore in two yrs, one week following gluten contamination. Please keep this in mind.