1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Eggs for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By May 5, 2010

Food of the Week: Eggs

Years ago, a lot of people cut down on eggs or eliminated them from their diet completely over cholesterol concerns. Now, however, most health experts agree that eating one egg a day won't hurt your cholesterol.

Eggs have a lot of nutrients that are good for everyone, as well as several that are frequently recommended for those of us with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Those include:

Low vitamin D levels can cause muscle pain and weakness. Studies show that about a quarter of us with these conditions are deficient, and that getting more vitamin D can lower pain levels in some of us. The body needs vitamin D for calcium absorption, bone growth and strength.

Vitamin B12 is involved in energy production, and we have some limited evidence that low B12 levels may be involved in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Protein is essential for cellular health.

Choline is important for mitochondrial health and brain function.  Some limited studies show it may be an effective treatment for these illnesses.

Eggs can be especially filling.  Some nutritionists say that eating an egg for breakfast may help you eat less throughout the day, which can help you lose weight.

I forget to do this very often, but one way I've gotten more eggs in my diet is to keep boiled eggs on hand.  When I'm not up to cooking, they're a quick, easy way to get something filling and nutritious.  Before my kids decided they liked eggs, we'd find ways to disguise them.  My husband puts them in his amazing fried rice, and he also adds them to pancake batter.

How do you like your eggs?  Do you think they're beneficial to you?  Do you still avoid eggs because of cholesterol concerns?  Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Barry Wong/Getty Images

Comments
May 5, 2010 at 10:27 am
(1) Beverly says:

unfortunately eggs are no good for everyone. Whole the vitamins are beneficial for FMS & CFS patients and protein for breakfast is a great way to start the day, so eggs on the surface seem like a great way to go. Unfortunately, there are reasons to avoid eggs aside from cholesterol. They can cause allergies, skin blotches and unless they come from free range hens they can contain the same harmful chemicals, antibiotics and steroids their mothers get exposed to.

May 5, 2010 at 1:53 pm
(2) Christina Gombar says:

I totally disagree with the first commenter who says eggs are bad news. Yes, I agree — buy organic/free range, I haven’t eaten anything else in years.

I’ve had CFS for 20 years and I’ve learned by trial and error that if I don’t have an egg in the morning — and I have just a plain hard-boiled one most of the time — I’ll have an energy crash and major hunger in an hour and a half, and I’ll be tireder and hungrier all day.

I have cholesterol of 119 — I’m a 50 year old female, the rest of my diet is low carb and high greens. I treat my CFS with megadoses of Vitamin B and anti-oxidants. Some people may be allergic to eggs, but they’ve never been a cholesterol issue for me, or anyone else who has an otherwise “clean” diet.

May 5, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(3) Beverly says:

Christina – while eggs may work for you, keep in mind they do not work for everyone. That is the point. I am glad they work for you but I had a lot of serious problems that only went away when I stopped eating eggs. I only ate organic eggs and organic everything else for that matter. Sometimes people have problems and do not realize it is caused by the eggs. That was the situation in my case and I have met many others that when they stopped eating eggs many of their health issues went away.

May 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm
(4) Aly says:

I rarely ever eat eggs, other than the occasional pancake they are not something I would have. Really it would not be hard to introduct more eggs to my diet, the good thing is that they tend to be filling too.

Thanks for another great post.

Aly

May 5, 2010 at 3:06 pm
(5) Barbara E. says:

Funny enough, as something cheap, healthy, and easy to fix, I started making my own omelets last week – one a day … 2 egg omelet filled with any combo of: cheese, ham, onions, mushrooms, green peppers and black pepper.

I hate to cook, but found making these were easy and I was quite proud of myself in making good looking omelets that might do Gordan Ramsey proud (snickers).

Oddly enough, I do notice a bit of a pep in my step overall and a tad less achy in the muscles. In the last 2 weeks, I have lost 7-8 lbs as I have been drinking a few glasses less of sweet tea (am in the South), been eating less overall, and a bit more energy to pop up and down. Hmmmmm. Not saying my omelets are a miracle drug, but heck – if it’s doing some good, I’ll stick with it!

And yes, eating eggs are not good for a small portion of the population for a wide variety of medical reasons. Unless you already know eggs will cause you problems of some type, all you can do is try it for a while and see if you notice any good or bad effects.

Thank you for this article!

May 6, 2010 at 5:00 am
(6) Lenny Hirsch says:

For the last 14 years I have been fighting prostate cancer and for the last year CFS.One of the ways that I have used to control the cancer has been by changing my eating habits. Looking for healthy foods has been really easy as there so data on prostate cancer where as there seems to be very little to nothing on CFS. I am trying everything that is suggested hoping to find a solution to the brain fog, etc.
Here is a very popular Israeli recipe containg eggs and tomatoes (Lycopene a strong anti oxzident ) -Shashuka.
You will need;-
1 can crushed tomatoes
Onions-sliced
Garliv, crushed or cloves
Corriander- cilantro
Eggs
Olive oil

Method
In a pan lightly fry the sliced onions and garlic. When the onions are soft, add the can of tomatoes and chopped coriander. Flavout to your taste with salt, pepper, chili flakes or anything else that you fancy. Break the egg(s) into the boiling sauce, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
I usually serve on whole wheat toast. This is a geat breakfast or supper.
For more “heathy recipes” you can go to my web site; http://www.shalomprostate.co.il. The site is in Hebrew, but has an English section. The link is on the right hand side of the home page and is in English. Go to the cook book.

May 6, 2010 at 12:03 pm
(7) Kristin Warry says:

I love a frittata – cook some extra potatoes each time you can get someone to peel them for you(!) or else have new ones skin on. Then from the fridge you can have a great meal by frying up the diced potatoes with onions, then beat some eggs with thyme and salt/pepper to taste (about 2 eggs per person, so if its a big 28cm pan, do 6 for 3 servings) then once the potatoes and onions are hot and cooked, pour on the egg mix till the top just wobbles, then finish off under the grill so its totally set. If you have some, its lovely to add some pre cooked cabbage, or else some small leaved stuff such as spinach leaves just before the eggs go on too.

Take the extra portion/s to work and microwave them for a great filling lunch.

I have a peripheral neuropathy as well as fibro, so have to watch my proteins as they are nerve toxins in large doses, so eggs diluted with potatoes in olive oil is fab.

p.s. Christina, I assume the American system for cholesterol is different to the UK, as over 6 is bad on our scale :)

And for the other commenters, I only get eggs from my organic veg box deliverers, or else from the Coop which ensures all its foods are ethically sourced, so no nasty hen treatments etc. Beware free range and organic – this doesn’t mean free from all drugs, its just means drugs are only given where necessary for the animals health, and only approved drugs used – this is a common misunderstanding.

May 7, 2010 at 11:08 pm
(8) Sita says:

I avoid eggs but not for cholesterol reasons. I am allergic to them. :)

Unfortunately cutting them (and my other food allergies) out of my diet didn’t change anything in my pain levels. It did help with my skin and GI issues.

April 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm
(9) DS says:

I have heard that duck eggs are more digestible, and less acidic. For pain in joints, and inflammation, try using fish oil in your diet that includes EFA & GHA (I think those are the acronyms), and/or flax oil for Omega 3s. Try using grass fed beef and grass fed milk cows, and that should help with the pain. It lowers the Omega 6 in your diet, and increases the Omega 3s.

May 7, 2010 at 11:55 pm
(10) Sandy Birkenmaier says:

We pasture-raise ducks for eggs. People who are allergic to chicken eggs can often eat duck eggs, because there are different proteins in them (vaccines used to be grown in duck eggs, because of the low incidence of allergies). I occasionally eat chicken eggs, and always find them “watery” tasting in comparison to our duck eggs. If you like the yolk of a chicken egg, you’ll love duck eggs, because they’re yolkier tasting. They also tend to make baked goods fluff up more.

We most frequently fix them by beating about 6 duck eggs, with a fork, in a square microwavable container, adding a little milk, some cheese, basil, oregano, black pepper, and maybe some ham or pork. We microwave the mix for a few minutes, stir it up, and microwave a bit more. It produces a nice tall block that can be sliced for easy sandwiches, or cubed for egg salad or stir frying. The less effort I have to put into meals, the better.

One additional note on allergies: it may be what the bird was fed, rather than “eggs” themselves. I’m allergic to nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, etc.), and once got violently ill from eating an egg from a healthy free-range chicken that had been fed kitchen scraps. Our ducks are never exposed to wild nightshades (and we don’t have nightshades in the house), so that I know I can safely eat their eggs. If you buy your eggs locally, you can get to know your farmer, and find out what the birds are fed.

May 8, 2010 at 12:49 am
(11) Sandy Birkenmaier says:

It’s been a long week and the fibro fog is settling in at this late hour. I meant to add, in my comment about duck eggs, that ducks are inherently healthy creatures, so they don’t need antibiotics. Antibiotics can be harmful, or even fatal, to ducks, so you shouldn’t need to worry about antibiotics being in the duck eggs that you buy.

If you want to raise ducks for your own eggs, you don’t need a pond. All you need is water deep enough for them to keep their eyes clean. You don’t need to have males around, and your girls will lay better if there aren’t boys bothering them. Be prepared for a mess: they’ll have mud in their water, water in their food, and food in the mud, but they’ll keep you entertained (more laughter for health).

May 8, 2010 at 12:04 pm
(12) Sharon Levin says:

As a specialist Clin Nutr for the Insulin Resistance and reactive hypoglycaemia that Fm +CFS +ME+Adrenal fatigue link themselves to endogenously, there is total idsagreement about cows milk, lactose of any sort in the REAL diet for these conditions. Has been throsn out of the diet 6 years ago due to the original COW that has been injected with animal proteins and hormones and innoculations etc that is milked into any form -even organically fed calves were seen to elevate and disrupt the HUMAN’S ENDOCRINE SYSTEM – messed upo already as dysfuntio of the brain system sees to that in alll the conditions. Goats milk, cheeses, soy milk if tolerant to, is great as is a phyto estrogen, or do not have soy at all if cancer has ever loomed. Rice milk has proved to raise insulin as quickly as sugar converts to insulin, oat milks are gluten and thus to be avoided. Sharon Levin

May 9, 2010 at 6:56 am
(13) Helen says:

I have eatten eggs all my life and enjjoyed them. when I got older I became allergic to the yolks. I still love eggs but I eat the whites only! I love to eat then with spam! Great for anytime of the day.

May 10, 2010 at 9:10 am
(14) DOLLAR says:

NOTHING SEEM TO WORK FOR ME, I READ ALL OF THE TIPS THAT HELP OTHERS. I HAVE JUST TRIED NOT TO EAT POTATOES AND I SEE SOME CHANGES AND I WILL SEE ON THE EGG SIDE BUT I DON’T LIKE EGGS.

I AM COPING WITH THE DAILY PAINS AND THANKS TO YOU GUYZ FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE.

June 15, 2010 at 11:18 am
(15) ed says:

WOW!!! what a subject, did the older generation went tru this type of problems? I don’t think so,

August 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm
(16) Carmel says:

I find that eggs help my fibromyalgia. Cholesterol makes serotonin and people with fibromyalgia need serotonin.

October 23, 2010 at 2:08 pm
(17) Diana says:

I wanted to share that I got a vitamin B12 shot and it made a huge difference in my energy. wow! It was awesome. :)

April 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm
(18) DS says:

Brewers yeast (tastes lousy but super beneficial) and dark leafy greens are high in the vitamin Bs. Super great for the body! Suggest mustard greens or the stronger (salty) beet leaves in salad, collard greens in soups or stir fried, and bok choy stir fried with other Asian veggies.
-Avoid soy milk – it has been found to increase the body’s need for B12, even though it has it in it!! Also interferes with protein absorption.
-Other B sources: lentils, cashews, mushrooms

October 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm
(19) kim says:

Baked eggs are a wonderful way to prepare eggs without standing by the stove top stirring.

* 12 slices bacon
* 12 fresh eggs
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 30 mins

Preheat oven 375 degrees.
In medium frying pan fry bacon to soft transparent stage.
Drain on paper towels or microwave. Pre cooked bacon will work too.
Line each slice around the side of each muffin cup. Ends may overlap.
Break egg directly in the center of each muffin cup using a 12 cup muffin pan.
Slightly salt and pepper.
Cook 15 to 20 minutes.
Watch for whites and yolks to begin to set.
Take out with small spatula on a serving plate.
Serve with fork and knife.

October 23, 2010 at 3:20 pm
(20) Sonya H. says:

Ed, the older generation did go through this but it was called by other names or told they were crazy just like they did about diabetes and PMS. I’m grateful there is finally studies to show the docs out there who still think it’s crap that it’s real. It may not have been so widespread though.

I’m allergic to soy and potatoes (love my potatoes so it sucks) and a B-12 shot worked only once for me. But we do need to get our B vitamins.

I recently had to have a sleep study done and found out I have sleep apnea. The doctor told me that all the patient’s he has seen with fibromyalgia have sleep apnea. So, it’s worth checking into.

October 23, 2010 at 6:06 pm
(21) Christine Thomas says:

I was diagnosed fibro a month ago after years of being told there was nothing wrong, I was diagnosed with restless legs 10 years ago and sleep apnea 4 years ago. I never could afford the machine for the apnea, but when I had the sleep study done with the machine I actually had panic attacks and couldn’t breathe.
I went to the hospital yesterday about getting a government subsidised machine ( I’m in Australia) and when I told the doctor I had Fibro he said that is what would have caused the panic attacks as forcing a heap of air down my throat aggravates fibro. Mainly the thyroids of which I have 2 Goitres.
Things such as coconut seems to aggravate my thyroids too and I start choking and can’t breathe and yet tests say my thyroid function is okay.
I love eggs, but I do have high colesterol, unfortunately I love my potatoes too and I always put a raw egg in mashed potatoes.
I am finding it very interesting reading everyones posts, as I find it very difficult dealing with this condition. I have taken 900mg of Nuerontin for the past 10 years at night for the restless leg but it does nothing for the Fibro.
Hopefully I will get some more answers this week when I go to the specialist because I can’t deal with all this pain and fatigue anymore.

October 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm
(22) Candace says:

I enjoy my eggs any way you can cook them, but they don’t seem to help with my fibro. Anything on muscle spasams, the hurt so bad what can cause these and what food can help with those?

October 29, 2010 at 5:42 pm
(23) Marci says:

I am lucky enough to raise my own free range chickens (getting ducks soon!) I do notice a difference in eating fresh eggs. We also have dairy goats. Some days it seems, my body just decides to hate everything I eat but when I drink the fresh raw goats milk I have less pain and more energy. I don’t know if it would help anyone else. I chose goats because their milk is similar to human mothers milk than cow and I was hoping the enzymes in the raw milk would help me in digestion. Just thought I would pass that on. Have a great (pain free) day!