1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Muscle Spasms in Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By April 8, 2010

Muscle spasms are a source of considerable pain in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome -- our muscles clench and just won't relax, sometimes in spite of multiple treatments.

I learned something fascinating about muscle contraction recently. It seems counter-intuitive, but it actually takes more energy for a muscle to relax than to contract. In fact, it takes twice as much. Weird, eh? Here's how it works:

• When a muscle contracts, small pouches in the cells release calcium.
  • For the muscle to relax, the cell needs to pump the calcium back into the pouch.
  • When energy is low, the cell can't perform that job and the muscle stays contracted.

More and more, researchers are looking at how our cells and the mitochondria within them function to uncover what's going on in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It's becoming more accepted that we've got dysfunction there, so that helps clarify why our muscles refuse to unclench.

I almost always have muscles in spasm. For the past several weeks, my neck muscles have been taut, hard and painful. I've had some temporary relief from acupuncture and cupping, but very little help from massage, heat, ice, stretching, topical muscle creams, etc. Once I learned about the connection to low cellular energy, I started taking more of the supplements that can boost it, and wouldn't you know -- on the days that I've taken more, the muscles have been more relaxed. Since I'm not taking maximum dosages of any, I'm now planning to increase them permanently.

According to some research, supplements that can increase cellular energy and mitochondrial function include:

What helps you with those muscles that just won't relax? Have you had luck with these supplements? Have you been treated for mitochondrial dysfunction? Leave your comments below!

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo &copy Don Farrall/Getty Images

Comments
April 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm
(1) Karenhart says:

I use a rx pain patch called Lidoderm. It contains 5% lidocaine in a 12 hour patch. It helps.
BUT I still can’t hold my head up in the evening due to pain and I’d like to know if anyone else has this problem.
Malic Acid has been recommended for Fibro. It contains calcium and magnesium. I wish I could remember to take it!

April 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm
(2) christine says:

I use a patch also,but its a fentanyl patch. I’ve worn it for years now because it gets me thru the ups and downs with the pills. It helps me so much. I’m not saying I don’t have bad days, but nothing like before. Ask your doctor about it. Hope I helped. :)

April 9, 2010 at 3:53 pm
(3) Alice Campbell says:

For non chemical relief of muscle spasms, I recommend massage, the deep tissue sort, followed (and preceededs by) and a good long soak in the hot tub. If that doesn’t help, it’s time for those chemicals!

April 9, 2010 at 4:08 pm
(4) Debbie says:

I was on fentanyl patches for many years and could move better. I was healthier,felt better, weighted much less and had a mentally much healthier outlook. The Commonwealth of Virginia took my doctor’s license for using too strong of medications to relieve pain. They are so backwards. Most of the doctors here are afraid to prescribe opiates. A backward place if you ask me.

April 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm
(5) Carol Byrns says:

Are spasms and cramps the same things? Recently I have had an increase in foot and legs cramps at night. I was desperate for some relief. No one seems to know the reason for cramps except that dehydration can cause them. Well I drink quite a lot of water, so I thought that one way to “retain” more fluid would be to add salt. So at bedtime now, I eat a few small dill pickles and drink a couple of glasses of water and voila – no more cramps. I do drink filtered water so take extra minerals including calcium and magnesium, but I guesss the sodium was missing. I’m not one to have ever avoided salt either, even though that’s what we’re all told to do.

April 9, 2010 at 4:38 pm
(6) O2BFree says:

Hi, Everybody!!
I Hope this comment goes through, because it’s never worked before!
I know that pills are USUALLY NOT the way to go, but my Dr. prescribed Skelaxin (Metaxalone) about 2 years ago, and it has worked Wonders! It’s NON-Narcotic AND it doesn’t upset your stomach!
And for those of you who are on a Medicare Part D Plan, if your Healthcare Provider simply faxes a Request to your Plan Provider, asking that the Cost be Reduced to a “Tier 1 Level”, it will only cost $7.00! (It’s my understanding that this is the “going rate” for Medications according to the Medicare Rx Formulary. If I’m wrong, I apologize.) The Request was answered within 72 Hours, and the Rx is now READY to be picked up at my Pharmacy!! My former Insurance Agent told me it’d be 3-6 Months to even get Reviewed, so don’t believe Everything you Hear!
I do take all but 2 of the Supplements Adrienne has listed here, so I probably would be in a LOT more Pain if I hadn’t been taking them for so long! (God forBID I’d hurt any Worse!)
Another way to get Skelaxin (for FREE) is to ask for Samples, which are usually readily available, as Skelaxin is relatively new, and is not yet available in Generic form.
I AM a Firm Believer in Opioids! I am “allowed”
45mg/day, but rarely use that much, because the Last Thing I Need is to build up a Tolerance for ANY Medication that helps me MOVE or get OUT of Bed on a Daily Basis!
Hope this HELPS!!

Adrienne, YOU ROCK!!! ^j^

April 9, 2010 at 4:43 pm
(7) hiddenlives says:

Baclofen – it has made a big difference. Aside from the relief you might expect (pain, stiffness) I don’t get “stuck” in position anymore.

April 9, 2010 at 10:02 pm
(8) Jennifer says:

Thank you, Adrienne. Very interesting information. For supplements, do you use any specific type that has a combination of things? I know I need to do something here!

From Adrienne: I actually avoid combination supplements because I’m very prone to side effects (as many of us are) and combinations make it harder to figure out what causing problems, as well as what’s helping. Some people swear by specific brands as well, but so far I’ve seen no difference between the ones I’ve tried. ~Adrienne

April 9, 2010 at 11:26 pm
(9) Tracy West says:

Hello, I’m a 52 yo female, a nurse that works night shift, and I have “felt bad” for YEARS, and never knew what was “wrong with me”, until a year ago a co-worker (thank you Holly!) told me it sounded like I had Fibromyalgia. I read the sx’s, asked my doctor, who referred me to a rheumatologist, who then finally gave me the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. And to think all those years I thought I was crazy, and that it was just all due to working nights, which I’m sure triggered it and doesn’t help the situation. I hurt all over, mostly in my neck and shoulders, and for some reason, tightness and achiness in the center of my chest (and no, it’s not cardiac)and my left side of my face, neck, arm and leg are constantly having muscle spasms. People started noticing I was limping, and I didn’t even know it.I started out taking Ultram 100mg Q8 hrs, and my dr. added Neurontin (which he says is the same as Lyrica, anybody agree/disagree?)and Quinine 100mg qd. I tried Malic acid/magnesium but it gave me terrible diarrhea. I added DHEA 50mg and Vitamin D3 2000mg (had my D level checked and it’s good) and recently CoQ10 100mg but I havent seen any difference in my pain yet. I’m up to 17 pills a day (I take meds for diabetes, hypothyroidism, and cholesterol also. I recently lowered my dose of Crestor and take it every other day. I was going to eliminate it, but it lowered my numbers so significantly I couldn’t justify stopping it). The most relief I get is for about 2 1/2 – 3 hrs at the peak of my Ultram/Neurontin doses every 8 hrs, which sometimes I can’t wait to take and have to take at 6 1/2 to 7 hrs.Flexeril, even just a quarter of a tab, knocks me out for a whole day. I also see my chiropractor once a week for a back and neck adjustment, most recently I have developed very painful TMJ. I am a mess! I have an appt with my primary care provider at the VA next week and my friend Kirsty has told me to ask for a referral to Pain Mgmt to get Lortab or pain patches and Physical therapy for a TENS unit, which I plan on doing, but I can’t take them while Im at work which is when I hurt the most unless I’m distracted by a crisis, but when it’s over – look out! I guess I’ll also add 5HTP also, what’s one more pill, right? I have also gone on a low carb diet to help lower my cholesterol numbers and my weight (Im 5’2″ 180lbs) so maybe I can go off the Crestor. I guess I’ll add apples and a potato occas. I’ve already been sent to Mental Health and Psych but I’m considering Cymbalta bc I’m getting depressed due to not being able to do what I love on my days off = gardening, and my housework suffers. Good thing I live by myself. Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions for this newbie, I would appreciate it! thanks, Tracy

From Adrienne: Neurontin and Lyrica are chemically similar, but not the same. In studies, Neurontin is less effective against pain and causes more side effects, but if it works for you and you tolerate it well, then great! Neurontin does have some plusses, though — because it’s a lot older than Lyrica, we have a better idea of long-term side effects and it’s MUCH cheaper and more likely to be covered by insurance. ~Adrienne

April 10, 2010 at 7:06 am
(10) Kolbrun says:

I knew there were a lot of people thinking the same,when it comes to spasms,restless legs and trembling arms and hands. Glad to meet you.
Yes I think lyrica and neurontin are the same or they have the same effect.
I have had a lot of things that have their origin in the brain or nerve system.
My epilepsi was cut away12 years ago, I keep my restless legs and the trembling hands and my bad back.
These rests have now become fibromyalgia.(my theory) I have tried most of the medicine mentioned here. The restless legs people start with kinin and I have been through most of the Parkinsons medicine. Now I am on requip depot now.
My regular doctor maintains that magnecium citrat is the only thing that has lasting effects on the spasms.
My spasms do not like swimming, my feet have a small mind of their own in the water(water gymnastics x2 weekly)
What like the least about my fibromyalgia is “the not sleeping” part. Now I take 75mg Amitripyline (it is actually intnded for use with depression un grown-ups and for children that wet their bed. What it does for me is I sleep better mostly from 23:00 – 05:00-06:00 in the morning. For the last year I feel that I have hardly slept, instead I have made bread,surfed the net/web. As well as I feel less pain. The thing that works best for me is a daughter I can complain to, she puts me right and a very good friend we talk a lot on the phone I always feel much better when we have had our laughs and talks about our impairments. Humor does wonders.

April 10, 2010 at 10:28 am
(11) Hello says:

Spasms are much more rare for me than before. They used to be horrible!!! I think adressing resistance to thyroid hormone and adrenal insufficiency relieved much of it. I do notice now if I get one, it is around the time of my period, so I think hormones play a role. I think excess adrenaline from hypoglycemia or anxiety can cause them. I try to have a balance of all the electrolytes…eat plenty of cheese for calcium, take Natural Calm magnesium powder, use some salt and high potassium foods. Histamine release/allergies causes muscle spasms too so I have always found that a good dose of Benadryl at bedtime works wonders because it blocks histamine and it also relaxes the central nervous system. If the spasm is really bad I would take 50mg of Benadryl every four hours until the spasm releases and it always works…but makes me sleepy, so best at bedtime with a non-drowsy histamine blocker like Claritin during the day.

April 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm
(12) Jennifer D says:

Tracy – I’d get off the Crestor ASAP. As a nurse, I’m sure you know that statin drugs can cause a “fibromyaliga” type syndrome. From what I have heard, there will be a name for this syndrome soon.

i also have weight issues, and I’ve found that there is a 1:1 correlation with my weight and my cholesterol (in other words, what I am eating ) has nothing to do with my cholesterol level – it is all about the # on the scale). I have never been on a medication for cholesterol despite fluctuating levels since I was 10, but it’s been normal now that my weight is more consistent.

My dad has high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Lipitor gave him chronic pain (which he had never had before that), so he got off of it and was determined to lose weight. He lost 40 pounds and has perfect cholesterol and BP now. And he is 60 :)

That being said, I’ve been my ideal weight and in GREAT shape, and I’ve been overweight, and that doesn’t affect my pain levels at all. Staying active is very, very important for me, though.

So if people try telling you that your weight is causing your pain… well I’d argue that it isn’t.

As for muscle spasms… you got me. I’ve had them for 11 years now, and I really have tried everything. What works great one month (swimming, stretching, supplements, medication, chiropractic, acupuncture, iv vitamin drips, etc.) might not help the next month (or might even seem to exacerbate my pain).

Honesty, THC seems to be the one thing that totally stops any sort of pain I’m having (including migraines), but as soon as it wears off, the pain tends to return. And I can’t walk around on that all day… so it is more of a rescue remedy.

April 11, 2010 at 2:17 am
(13) weeroo says:

karenhart, I too have trouble holding my head up, or did! Physical therapy and chiropractic helped over the years. I am now with a physical therapist who is doing myofacial release with my neck muscles and it is amazing! My posture is improving with no help from me and I can go out to dinner without embarassing myself! The facial in myofascial release is the sheathing covering the mucsles which can and has tightened over the years causing unnatualy posture. It is a simple technique, some you can do yourself, but this therapist I happened upon when seeking out therapy during a flare up. Ask for and investigate myofascial therapy.

April 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm
(14) Melanie says:

Hi, my pain management specialist has been researching mitochondrial disfunction for a few years in relation to CFS/FMS and other inflammatory and auto-immune disorders. She has put me on an anti-depressant for pain control that apparently works slightly differently than others in how it affects the mitochondria. So far it seems to be working ok and definitely I don’t have the same side effects I used to have. She is planning on conducting some studies and writing more on this in the future. She also put me on a B-12 and a CoQ10 supplement for this reason as well.

I have also been taking high doses of magnesium on the suggestion of my naturopath. The immediate effect of taking the magnesium was amazing – better sleep, more energy, and less muscle pain/fatigue. I take my magnesium spread throughout the day and a larger dose at night to help me sleep. If I miss a dose for whatever reason, I notice it right away with leg cramps, muscle pain, etc.

April 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm
(15) Alex Barton says:

EPSOM SALTS (magnesium) in your bath work like magic. Buy from a pharmacy and add a cupful or 2 and soak for 20 minutes. The magnesium is absorbed through the skin and relaxes your muscles taking away the pain. Studies have shown that Epsom Salts are a simple way to raise magnesium levels in your blood. Magnesium supplements taken regularly helps too.

April 13, 2010 at 2:58 am
(16) Jen E says:

you can also buy epsom salt cream at drug stores now to rub on your sore muscles (or anywhere on you) to be absorbed into the body without upsetting your digestive tract. I use this every day (as well as a soak in an epsom salt tub) and I can’t say whether or not it helps, but it is relaxing if nothing else.

April 13, 2010 at 9:03 am
(17) stef miller says:

Gentle, modified MOVEMENT pumps blood and oxygen, nourishing muscles, releasing lactic acid…

I was riddled in pain and bedridden. Devotion to functional movement relieved pain, prevented muscle atrophy, boosted happy neurochemicals and in the end, was the guiding source of my full recovery.

We are designed to move, even in the most base pain states…use breath, use self compassion, move with curiosity of how to relieve your own pain and stimulate the body’s natural pain relief and anti-inflammatory processes. Feel good all, take good care.

April 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(18) Stephanie says:

I started with leg cramps in the fall; none of my physicians knew why. They subsided for a while and returned over the winter; one MD suggested tonic water (I was eating one half a banana in the morning without effect). Two months ago the achiness started and I thought it was the breast cancer medication I was taking. I had this arthralgia when I first started the Femara a year ago but it subsided. This discomfort was different. I am also a nurse and because of a stupid needle stick I had some blood tests done. Some lab results were abnormal and I had to stop most of my meds, including Zocor. My MD did not think the Zocor caused the achiness (even though recent research as shown that high doses were detrimental). Well, the muscle pain has gotten worse over the past month; it is intolerable at times especially at bedtime. The leg cramps are mostly gone (except when I forget the tonic water) but the pain in my upper arms and thighs is horrible. I saw a Rheumatologist last week and she ordered more lab tests; she said I may be in the early stages of fibromyalgia. I’ve started taking CoQ10, elavil at bedtime (only 10mg) and an antiinflammatory. The past three days have shown some improvement in my pain but I can’t imagine living this way forever. I did try swimming laps but my arms were too weak and it was painful. I have a bad knee so between that and the general malaise I feel like 100 years old. I will try fish oil and epsom salt baths.

April 18, 2010 at 7:33 am
(19) karenhart says:

Thanks, Weeroo, I will look into myofascial release when I return to the States.And I am glad of the nudge to take magnesium

April 22, 2010 at 12:22 am
(20) Jennifer says:

I noticed several times that my hand and feet cramps get worse when I take Ativan (anxiety medicine). It feels like it dehydrates me-I can hear my back cracking when I bend over! No more Ativan if I can help it.

I still have various muscle cramps, but why add more with meds. Just a thought. Instead of looking for meds to fix muscle cramps, some of our meds may be worsening the tendency to have them.

April 22, 2010 at 3:13 pm
(21) Angela says:

I have taken Nuerotin it helped but made me so moody, I couldn’t even live with myself. Tried Lyrica no help there either. Finally I was placed on Cymbalta and it helped tremendously. I could walk almost normal again without my legs getting so tired they wouldn’t hardly move. But after being on it a year now I am having really bad flare ups. Not sure if the Cymbalta has stopped helping or what is going on.

Does anyone have problems with their eyes? Vision changes?

October 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm
(22) Christy says:

I have severe neck, head, upper back, and face spasms that can last for a month at a time. Excedrin Migraine seems to help mine if I take it soon enough. Meditation, physical therapy exercises (not done while I am in a lot of pain) and attention to good posture also helps. I also have to rest when it’s trying to come on. Physical exertion makes it worse. Alternating cool and warm showers followed by a nap, also seems to help. Also Head On is the best topical, but needs to be used as a complimentary treatment. It’s not strong enough to knock it out alone.

October 4, 2010 at 5:06 pm
(23) Mary Clark says:

I began B12 tablets about a year ago and all I can say is that this has been my best year yet in actually feeling good since I was diagnosed about 20 years ago. It has made a tremendous difference. Also I have had good luck with the deep muscle massage and with a hot bath with epsom salts added. I can’t believe how painful I can feel, not have a massage but take a hot/epsom salts bath and come out with more than 50% of my pain gone. The other activity that keeps my pain down is exercise. Whatever kind you can do should help some. I’ve done yoga, water aerobics and am currently doing the Humana Silver Sneakers exercise program. Amazing how much difference it makes. Working through the pain takes lots of determination but it has served me well. Best wishes to all of you in finding what works for you the best.

October 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm
(24) Tammy says:

I suffer more from muscle jerks than this. I will be sitting or laying and my legs will involuntarily jump enough to more the bed (my hubby notices it while I sleep also). Its almost like when the dr taps ur knees with one of those lil hammer things…not really painful, just annoying!

October 4, 2010 at 11:36 pm
(25) Dynelle says:

After reading everyone’s comments my heart goes out to all who suffer due to fibro. It is amazing to me that ppl with fibro are able to get out of bed each day let alone face the world of work. I used to have a normal life filled with lots of enjoyable activities. Now a days I fill my life with the simple joys of life learning to accept the little things in life that I can accomplish. My life used to be normal, now I’m not quite sure what to call it. Living daily with so many fibro symptoms is a challenge in it self. What works for me is having a husband who pushes me to get out and enjoy life. Taking Tramadol, Cymbalta, Mirapex, lidoderm patches, soaking in epsom salt with lavender, using a heating pad, vultaren cream and taking B12, Vit A, C, D, E, fish oil, calcium and htp, and eating healthy. Mirapex helps with muscle spasms and RLS. Tried taking Lyrica with to many side effects such as; suicidal toughts and tendancies, weight gain and upset stomach. Since being diagnosed with fibro, I also have diabetes, hypotyroidism, hormonal imbalance, diverticulosis, a sleep disorder, and sleep apnea. Just how much more can ppl with fibro take. All of the ppl who have commented sound similar to my life. My prayer is your days will be filled with the simple joys of life.

October 5, 2010 at 3:27 am
(26) Katherine Alexander says:

Tracy stop the Crestor. I was on it and my brother. The pain in my body was so bad It felt like I was being sawed in half. I was told I have Fibro. I do still have it but nothing like I did when I was on Crestor. My brother just got off his Crestor as well. He was at one time taking 10 Loritabs a day and still had pain. He just told me he takes almost no pain pills after he stopped Crestor. My mom was on Tricor and complained to every doctor how her legs hurt her. I told her I thought it was Tricor and stop taking it and see what happens. Well no more leg aches which she had for years. My brother say he wasted 10 years of his life in pain and not knowing that is what was going on. He is off all Statins now. Good luck to you, I feel your pain!

October 5, 2010 at 3:31 am
(27) Katherine Alexander says:

FYI I have started taking 5-HTP which you can get at Walmart. It has really helped my Fibro. You should GOOGLE it. It is a natural product used for depression, panic attacks etc. You can not be on anti depressants if you want to be on 5-HTP.

February 3, 2011 at 6:36 am
(28) B says:

questions for Melanie:

You have some information to share – THANK YOU – that is of relevance to me, but would like to ask which anti-depressant you’ve been put on and how does it affect the mitochondria in a different way?

Would be grateful for further info, references.

many thanks and good health

February 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm
(29) Mick says:

I was diagnosed a year ago with Fibro. My Dr. wanted me to take Cymbalta. I have not because I don’t like the POSSIBLE side effects. I hurt most of the time lately. The leg spasms are horrible. I get them in my hamstrings, toes, calve muscles, not all the time but I can feel that they are trying to start everyday. And I don’t sleep well. Take Flexeril once in awhile it seems to help, but also a salt pill when I really feel them (spasms) trying to kick in. Does anyone else have the spasms. And I can’t have cold water hit my feet in the shower or my leg jumps and hurts. Cold not good.

February 25, 2011 at 12:08 am
(30) Kat says:

I am 55 and diagnosed with Fibro 8 years ago after my Doctor discovered untreated hypothyroidism…(He said untreated Hypothyroidsm can lead to Fibro. ) I was put on synthroid but the symptoms did not go away. Tried EVERYTHING, went to several Docs and pain specialists, but the pain and fatique were awful. Finally got sick of it and started reading more about it. Started working out like crazy…bought a treadmill and some therapy bands and got some advice from a good physical therapist. I also started WELLBUTRIN…the miracle drug for me! I take 150 mg of the SR everyday and it does the trick, but not effective enough without the work out…walking fast as I can for 30 minutes until I am really sweating. yeah, the pain in my legs is awful the first ten minutes then GONE. I follow with toning, stretching and strengthening exercise for the upper body with the therapy bands. I do this 6 days a week. If I keep it up, the pain is GONE! I also eat a clean diet and filtered water, green tea and yes..TONIC water is amazing. I am a nurse and work full time, keep a clean home…cook healthy meals and avoid processed foods. But I pace myself. If I feel myself getting exhausted, I slow down. Now that I have an empty nest, and it is just me and my husband…I can take care of myself better. Oh yes, and I have a great NUCCA Chiropractor who helps me through the rough times as well. The secret…keep moving! The more you move, even if it hurts like the dickens…it will get better and you will get better.

July 7, 2011 at 5:07 am
(31) Suzy says:

Kat. Why TONIC water?

February 25, 2011 at 12:18 am
(32) Kat says:

Mick, I am sorry you are going through so much. Please try some of my tips. I was diagnosed with SEVERE fibromyalgia and I am living pretty much PAIN FREE now. Try taking some hot baths with epsom salts. I did not have too many spasms but the walking and stretching helps. If you are having trouble sleeping, ask your Doctor to prescribe something for you. Trazadone worked for me for awhile, but ProSom works better now. Fibro and insomnia is common due to the pain in the pain and not getting comfortable. Once I wake up I get out of that bed quick…laying down is the worst. Keep Moving and drink that tonic water. You might need another med for those spasms if they do not get better.

March 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm
(33) NancyOK says:

I have a question concerning the trembling in my left hand only. I have had it several years but in the last 3 months it has gotten so bad I can’t keep my hand on the keyboard.
I do have fms with muscle spasms, restless legs , carpal tunnel, and several other wonderful side effects. I have a distint adverse reaction to most meds. All I am taking is pain meds and I use a heating pad for my mattress, hot baths and deep breathing to relax the spasms. I do have symptoms in all my body but my left side has been the worse from day one. Maybe because I have something wrong with my left knee that no one can figure out. Hope someone can help or at least has experienced this.

August 5, 2011 at 9:36 am
(34) Tressa says:

Would someone who take the magnesium supplement kindly tell me the dosage you take throughout the day?

I’d tell my ‘story’, but it pretty much sounds like all the rest here. Fibro is just killing my spirit, if not my body. I have other problems, but the constant pain is such a drain on the mind.

I’m also curious about the pain patches. I currently take Vicodin and have been on it for over a decade. Obviously I worry about my liver – I have a well meaning PCP but not very useful, I’m afraid. I live way out in the country, also have agoraphobia and stress/anxiety issues, so travel to the city for treatment is out of the question. It would just make it worse.

Thanks in advance. Gentle hugs and here’s hoping by the time our children may or may not inherit this, someone’s found if not a cure – at least a relatively simply plan for relief.

Oh – has anyone here every heard of – is it – Guai Protocol? I’ve seen it in passing but have no idea what it is. Sounds rather rigid and complicated.

November 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm
(35) Crowscry says:

Low-dose Naltrexone, 3mg at bedtime, greatly reduces spasm and pain level; if you really want to go the prescription medication route, but it really is not necessary at all.

1) Oil of Oregano drops in water or other liquid, on an empty stomach; this is to kill Candida Albicans.
Studying and experimenting for many years, I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that Candida is the actual cause of Fibroymyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; it is the cause of spasms and muscle tearing and inflammation.

2) Kill the Candida, AND eliminate sugar, which is what causes the overgrowth of Candida; and detox your system periodically, and you will gradually see these problems level off.

3) Best natural Detox:
6 fresh lemons, skin, seeds and all, with 6 tablespoons of a cold-pressed olive oil, in a blender; add distilled water. Drink thick, on an empty stomach: 4-6oz 3 days a week, at least once a month.
Can also use Castor Oil Heat Packs:
Cold-pressed Castor Oil, not the kind you buy in the drug store. Place on a white towel or cloth, place over abdomen, cover with plastic, then a towel or cover, then a heating pad. Do for 1/2 hour to an hour, drinking water before, and during.
Excellent: fast lymphatic drainage.

These methods work; and not only for Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue.

December 29, 2011 at 7:13 am
(36) Try best sleep apnea treatment says:

Wow, amazing weblog format! How lengthy have you been blogging for? you made blogging glance easy. The total look of your site is magnificent, as well as the content!

January 2, 2012 at 12:51 am
(37) kittenmittens says:

Medical Botox worked for constant spasms at the base of my skull and above my mandibular joints. A doctor of physical and rehabilitative medicine (at the University of Minnesota) administered the injections after muscle relaxants failed. After the injections, the relief was immediate and complete and lasted about 3 months! Also, I did not experience any side effects (unlike everything I had tried before:)

February 8, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(38) Teresa says:

Got a virus in Reno. I was hurting every day for years. Even my bed hurt me. Doc gave me very low dose of old antidepressant Desipramine 10 mg (works on adrenaline, not serotonin). Made the pain tolerable. I switched to amino acids Tyrosine and Phenylaline in a.m. to boost adrenalin. Added 2000 of D-3 and Active B-6 and B-Complex. Pain and mood much better. Still have tense muscles in neck and shoulders. Grip a tool or pencil too hard. Causes joints to hurt. Overdoing always sends me to bed. Also have gout without high uric acid. Will try supplements at top to loosen muscles. Recommend Yoga, stretching, breathing, and physical therapy’s electrical stim, ,ultrasound and stretches. Epsom salts in bath help. Zocor for cholesterol hurt my muscles bad.

May 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm
(39) Terri says:

Well in pritty much the same although I also think I have coati chondrites as well as th fb … My doctoris uslesse he has diagnosed me with fbm but has not referred me to anywhere like pain management or rumatologist and he just keeps giving me loads of drugs …. It’s affected me big time and I’m struggling competing with it it’s stopping me getting a job and it’s stopped me completing my course at Uni…. I’m told it’s not as common in younger ppl as I’m only 22 but the doctor really didn’t have a clue and says I will be cured from this and it will get better ( dunno how he thinks that if he is giving me no hope in trying new ways) so I think I’m gonna have to be the doctor myself and start trying new things that others have said…

October 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm
(40) Leslie says:

Potassium usually takes care of it for me. When my potassium levels are low, I get “stuck” without fail.

October 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm
(41) Sage says:

I am so amazed that you really seem to have done your research about muscle spasms. I found this article recently as a result of not only being susceptible to muscle spasms, but because I was looking for answers to why I had severe neck spasm for over a week and was forced to get to the doctor for medicinal relief. I wanted to leave a comment because I am also in first year of college, and while studying for my upcoming biology test, I found this excerpt in my textbook. I thought it would help to verify more information provided by Adrienne:

“The smooth ER (endoplasmic reticulum of a cell) also stores calcium ions. In muscle cells, for example, the smooth ER membrane pumps calcium ions from the cytosol (open area of the cell) in the ER lumen. When a muscle cell is stimulated by a nerve impulse, calcium ions rush back across the ER membrane into the cytosol and trigger contraction of the muscle cell.”

I don’t know if that helps anyone here, but at least I put it on here for the heck of it in case it does.

One more note of interest – In my class, we have been learning about the mitochondria and how it plays the vital role of helping to create ATP, which apparently is the main and only real reason (according to my bio professor) that we breath and take in oxygen. ATP is a molecule that plays a vital role in cellular respiration, and is a main energy source for our body. How important is it? How long can we last without ATP creation? My professors answer to that was, “How long can you hold your breath?” Oxygen is needed because it is used to create ATP first and foremost. ATP is burned and created so quickly that it can take only a short time before your body cannot sustain itself without more oxygen to create it.

Science is cool!

October 21, 2012 at 4:15 am
(42) Dianne says:

@ Sage in particular – u mention ATP, and I almost never hear anyone say anything about that! My dr did a blood test my first visit, called a Cyclic AMP test. Evidently I failed it big time. I now take weekly shots of ATP/glutathione and they have helped my energy levels and joint pain tremendously. ATP is available OTC from Douglas labs (mail order or at my local compounding pharmacy – up front with the specialized OTC supplements. Have never seen it anywhere else!)
Anyway, I read that ATP must be replenished every 10 seconds! Also that we normally make our own bodyweight of ATP evwryday. And somehow, people with FM tend to not make energy well. Personally, I find that it helps most with the “day after” pain and fatigue. Post-exertional malaise. I am really interested in this, but it’s very hard to find any info! (if u have info or want to talk to me @ it, my twitter is dn527)
As far as stopping muscle cramps, I try most of that stuff to varying and erratic success. I’m gonna try soaking in the Epsom salts and see what that does!

October 23, 2012 at 7:28 am
(43) CharlieP says:

Starting to face up to the fact that the constant pain of the last few years which moves around my body, fatigue, headaches and fuzzy headedness is probably fibromyalgia. Having read other peoples comments I am feeling quite lucky that I can still get by. Has anyone seen the following link, I think if my symptoms were more extreme I would be in contact with these people to try the treatment – http://autoimmunityresearch.org/. Has anyone experience of the treatment?

October 23, 2012 at 4:29 pm
(44) Colleen says:

My story is pretty much the same as many on this blog. Amitriptylene and Cymbalta help me sleep and control the pain on better days.

I got a tip from my chiropractor about peppermint oil, which is a natural muscle relaxant. Anything with peppermint oil (note NOT spearmint oil) will give the desired effect. I usually drink peppermint tea or suck on a peppermint breath mint. It gives you minty breath while also calming those pesky muscles. Note that it also relaxes the esophagus, so those with heartburn problems should beware how much they consume. For me, the desired effect is very quick when it works.

December 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm
(45) Sharon says:

I take 1000mg magnesium and 1200 calcium 30 before bed, it is a vitamin relaxer :)

December 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm
(46) martin leckie says:

just wondering i have been given b12 a long time ago and i do not know if it was for my hands and arms that contract and stick it is very painfull. still suffering from and i cant get help any ideas what this is

December 28, 2012 at 1:43 am
(47) Rebecca says:

My pain and muscle weakness are so bad that I cannot open a jar of jelly by myself. I need a cleaning service for my home as I end up hurting myself if I try to clean.

I have tried Advil at the suggestion of my rheumatologist and that took the edge off. Chiropractic visits and massage also helped a lot but the pain never went away for long.

For the past 2 months I’ve been taking a supplement that has given me energy, reduced my pain, and finally got rid of the knot in my right shoulder that’s been there for at least 5 years.

I’ve lost a little weight and my stomach is flat again…. (after 3 kids).. so I am ecstatic !!!

My body is finally getting the nutrients it needs!!

January 4, 2013 at 11:56 am
(48) s says:

For those of you who are also hypothyroid. Try switching from synthroid to Armor, Nature Throid, or any other brand of natural thyroid. Your doctor will most likely resist the idea but insist on it and give it a few months to work. Also don’t take it within an hour or two of eating and take your C, B, and E vitamins with it. Check out “Stop the Thyroid Madness” on the web or buy the book. Hope this helps you guys as much as it has me!

January 4, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(49) brenda says:

I found some liquid called calorad and it has made a workl of difference in my muscle pain. It is sold as a weight loss additive but it really works on the muscle tension. i also get muscle cramps and pickle juice acts very quickly in stopping them.

February 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm
(50) Paulette Parkes says:

I cant thank the above comments. I have lived with Fibro almost all
my life. Iam 74 now. Altho I have all the symptoms I now have a
new one (spasms). In muscles of arms and legs even on jaw.

I thought I had a new disease until I read the above comments.
Thank you so much.

April 26, 2013 at 7:46 am
(51) Jennifer Lohrke says:

I started drinking Shakeology a month ago and it has helped tremendously for my fibro pain, especially that weird muscle pain from spasms. It has 70 ingredients of superfoods from around the world that contain some of the highest amounts of Omega’s, Vitamin C, Magnesium and so on. I got it from Beachbody after doing a search of others with fibromyalgia on there that had been drinking Shakeology.

May 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm
(52) list of online colleges says:

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website.
I really hope to view the same high-grade content by you in the future as well.
In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated
me to get my own, personal blog now ;)

May 21, 2013 at 8:08 am
(53) Me says:

I don’t see anyone mentioning controlling diet: cut out those excitotoxins, esp. MSGs which come in many forms/under many names. Didn’t ‘cure’ me, but it sure cut that pain back.

Some of these suggestions I’m going to explore. Maybe they’ll help. Every little bit can’t hurt, maybe it will help, right?

Thank you all for sharing.

June 13, 2013 at 9:49 am
(54) Teresa says:

Hello everyone, i often read comments people make about chronic pain to learn more as my doctor does not know what’s causing years of pain. I have has muscle spasms since my early twenties and im 46 now.
Never been diognosed with fibro but pretty sure that is what it is. Before my period i will hurt all over my body like the flu. Very tired no matter how much sleep i get. I am very physically fit, work out rather i feel crappy or not. THIS IS A MUST FOR FIBRO SUFFERERS. Little to know sugar…. no caffeine……no alcohol as these feed the pain, especially during my cycle time. I know this because i have experimented and yes……..it works!!!! Good luck and do your own research and know your own body as this will help you from going crazy with the pain. Just because a doctor wears a labcoat and makes 6 figures does not mean they know more about you than you do.

June 14, 2013 at 11:30 am
(55) Janice says:

3 days ago I decided to start taking a magnesium supplement and CoQ10. I had a facial tic on the right side of my face for almost a year that would appear while under stress. I had lost my job in January – which accelerated my stress level to almost constantly twitching! Once I started the 2 – not sure which helped…….but the twitch is totally gone! It is absolutely amazing. I am on cloud 9 and so pleased it is gone. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin in February which did not help thinking the depression from losing my job contributed to the twitch. It is without a doubt gone because of either or both magnesium and CoQ10! :-)

July 7, 2013 at 6:16 am
(56) Cyndi says:

Hi Everyone-

I know a little about fibro. (That was sarcastic as I know A LOT about fibro, chronic fatigue, and muscle spasms!). For example, it is 6:00 am and I have not gone to sleep AT ALL due to these God awful muscle spasms that hurt so BAD the pain has kept me awake all night. This is 3 out of 4 nights that I’ve done this. I’ve tried every trick in the book and Nothing will unclench this nightmare.

I also used to get fentonal (sp?) patches and over the years other pain killers. But I happen to live in the state in which doctors prescribe more narcotics than all the other states COMBINED. You got it. Florida. The FDA came down so hard it’s damn near impossible to have a pain killer prescribed. NIGHTMARE!!!

October 30, 2013 at 6:31 pm
(57) OldNurse says:

Get off the drugs! Fibromyalgia doesn’t exist. It is a diagnosis invented to give a name to aches and pains of aging. I hate when a label is placed on people! It just enables them.

November 3, 2013 at 10:22 pm
(58) Cath says:

Old nurse must be just that, an old nurse who has lost her knack for new learning and compassionate self must be burnt out!
I have suffered with fibro for over 20 years now, it was called fibrositis before and took elavil when it flared up. Now years later I am only taking a muscle relaxer 5-10 mg at bedtime and 25-50 mg of trazodone to help me sleep. I am very sensitive to mess and couldn’t tolerate cymbalta, lyrica or neurontin at all. I still work but have been having some terrible muscle spasms. I have 2 on the left side of my neck that are tight at the same time and sends pain and numbness down my arm & up the side of my face into my forehead, then I also have spasms in my eye muscles if I get too fatigued and can’t focus. So I have had to try and be creative with my stretching and heating pads etc. as I can’t take muscle relaxers and work. I take magnesium, vit D, B complex, CoQ10, calcium carbonate and am looking into taking D-ribose to help spasms. My fibro/myofascial

November 10, 2013 at 7:52 pm
(59) Christina says:

Valariane has been my Godsend for clenched muscles !! but i need 2 or sometimes even 4 of them on bad days.

I highly recommend this !!!

November 10, 2013 at 8:08 pm
(60) Christina says:

Valarian for muscle pain and spasm + insomnia but take 2- 4
i also take shakeology from beachbody for vitamins !

November 10, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(61) Cee says:

Has anyone had allergy or food sensitivity testing? I’m convinced my symptoms are food or digestion related in some way. But pretty new to the name Fibromyalgia. Have not had the willpower to finish an elimination diet and see if there is any truth to my theory. Was wondering if those here with more experience had any luck with changing what you eat.

November 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm
(62) Priscilla says:

Please someone give me some advice! For over 2 weeks I have had the worst constant pain in my right shoulder.Its a non stop burning sensation and has my right arm hurting and my muscles spasming on all of my right side including in the right side of my chest. I don’t know what to do I’ve been putting muscle rub on it and putting hot/cold patches on it. I’ve done nothing but want to sleep because it hurts and it won’t stop. the twitching spasms won’t either.

November 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm
(63) trailrunner says:

trailrunner, yep, that’s me. I run several times a week. I’m 55. When I was 42 I couldn’t walk around the block, use a can opener, or drive on freeways. The fast pace was overwhelming for my fibro fog brain.

My treatment – food.
I’ve eliminated all nonfood. I buy raw, unprepared, not in boxes or cans, produce, meats, dairy, and whole grains. (not whole grain products, but the actual grain – brown rice, quinoa, millet etc) legumes. And no sugar. And only olive oil or coconut oil (no Canola oil) And then I cook it myself using only sea salt and fresh herbs for flavoring. I take no meds – none. If I am in pain, I suffer through it, with the help of epson salts. I eat ALOT of vegetables.

I will never go back to my old way of eating, and hurting. I hope this post will help someone out there

December 19, 2013 at 3:58 am
(64) Joan Gibson says:

CFS was referred to as spasmofalia(sp?) in France,and considered psychosomatic. I learned years ago ps Midol,etc.,which contains pyrilamine maleate,an antihistamine (for’cramping’) and a very hot heating more helpful than ‘ stronger’ meds. Experienced esophageal spasms,99 percent spasm. Drs. don’t like it but genius internist recommended and I’m never without it.

December 21, 2013 at 3:34 am
(65) Joan Gibson says:

Just noticed I didn’t mention my treatment for esophageal spasms which is xylocaine viscous taken orally.

January 14, 2014 at 11:13 pm
(66) Kama says:

Exercise and staying active. My symptoms are relieved with the more exercise I do, as exercise gives me more energy and my muscles can relax, as strange as that may seem. When I skip exercising for a while, my muscles tense up particularly around my neck and shoulders, and my pain levels soar. Of course, in a flare up like that I feel even less like exercising, it’s a vicious circle! Though sometimes it feels like an effort too much to bear, running is actually the only thing that gives me relief. I also changed my diet, cut out sugar and lowered carbs, and lost a lot of weight as well. That definitely helped me. When I got up to running 4-5 times a week for about 5km, I stayed relatively pain free for a year. Then my dog died, and I had a bit of an exercise slump because I was sad and upset, and ate a lot of bad comfort food and carbs – I had a flare up within a couple of weeks of stopping.

January 25, 2014 at 8:34 pm
(67) advanced test-o-boost supplement says:

If you need more information of the above subject, please visit my home
page at:. Also the list of features and monitoring options is huge.
The first fish of that series were a mirror and a common caught just two hours apart, and the common
equaled the old British carp record that Richard Walker held for so many years, and which so massively inspired me.

March 16, 2014 at 12:34 pm
(68) Joyce (Baltimore, MD) says:

Does anyone have muscle spasms in their lip/mouth when they are sleeping? Mine seem to happen oh the left side of my face/mouth. Hard to explain but it is loud and wakes me up because it rolls.

Also, does anyone get creepy crawly feelings on their scalp and face?

Also, I often get muscle spasms in side between my waist and under my arms just by turning a little. I’m good one minute then all of a sudden I hurt for days.

Thanks. Joyce (Baltimore)

March 19, 2014 at 10:47 pm
(69) Peter N says:

I’ve had CFIDS/Fibro since before most docs believed in it. Two years ago, I started having cramps, first in the legs, that literally knocked me off my feet, mostly at night. I tried all the usual things, then, on a hunch decided to switch from coffee to tea (still with caffein). Within two weeks my cramps were 90% gone. I still have Peripheral Neuropathy, but now it’s just a nuisance. Next I’ll try quitting red wine to see if I can cet rid of the other 10%.

Peter in Ashland Oregon