Spring, for most of us in the Northern hemisphere, means:
- Warmer temperatures, and the temperature sensitivity that goes with them,
- Seasonal allergies,
- Brighter sunlight, which is tough for the light sensitive,
- Gardening, which means lots of physical work and exposure to allergens.
Altogether, those things can really have us feeling lousy!
I'm sensitive to both heat and cold, so I have to pay close attention to keeping myself within my narrow comfort zone. This time of year where I live, it can swing from hot to cold really fast. Layering becomes a must, and I'm planning to put a blanket, hoodie and a pair of socks in my car along with some cooling products, so they're available if I need them. I also splurged on prescription sunglasses so I don't get that impaled-through-the-eye feeling on a regular basis.
I'm not a serious gardener, but I am in the process of getting my yard in shape (it was far too ugly when we moved in 5 years ago, and I've been making slow progress.) Along with working in small doses, I try to keep the things I need available:
- A good, sturdy trowel can save you a lot of effort,
- A kneeling pad is a must,
- I have a little garden caddy (like a wagon with a lid) that I pull around so I'm not hauling things all over the place,
- I keep my asthma inhaler in a pocket and wear gloves to help minimize allergies,
- I make sure to wash my hands, arms and face really well every time I take a break,
- I wear a sun visor to shade my eyes,
- And I take a large water bottle with me to help me stay cool and hydrated.
I also put my kids to work, and they're right at the age where they're actually able to help and still want to. I'm hoping that lasts a few more years! And the really heavy work goes to my husband, who doesn't like yard work much but is willing to help me out.
What problems do you encounter this time of year? What helps you out? Leave your comments below!
Learn more or join the conversation!
- How to Pace Yourself
- Temperature Sensitivity With Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- 10 Important Lifestyle Changes
Photo © Stockbyte/Getty Images