1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Dr. Oz on Fibromyalgia, Now on Oprah.com

By September 8, 2009

Fibromyalgia still may not have universal acceptance and respect, but this certainly can't hurt (at least, in the non-medical community.) For his first column in O, The Oprah Magazine, Dr. Mehmet Oz looked at 4 possible treatments for fibromyalgia.

The treatments he examines are:

• Western Medicine Approach, including medications, improving sleep, stretching and exercise.
  • Energy-Based Approach, mainly acupuncture.
  • Psychological Approach, as a complementary treatment, because depression can exacerbate fibromyalgia pain (he notes that fibromyalgia is not caused by depression.)
  • Nutrition-Based Approach, featuring the (controversial) supplement regimen of Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum.

Dr. Oz says he favors Teitelbaum's supplement regimen. However, in my opinion, we're all so different that we need to experiment with a wide array of treatments. For information on what's available to you, explore the information here:

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Photo © Getty Images

Comments
September 11, 2009 at 6:57 pm
(1) Sandra says:

I had sent many emails to Oprah asking for show about fibromyalgia. I heard Dr. Oz make comment he sure learned a lot about it and is now a believer. We have one ex-ER doctor here who is into weird treatments. He states there is no such thing as fibromyalgia and bases all his theories on bowel clean out so guess that tells you what he thinks we are full of. I heard he charges a fortune with all the supplements, etc.

September 13, 2009 at 6:07 pm
(2) Nancy says:

He may have addressed Fibromyalgia only because there are now FDA medications he can associate with his opinion. I’d like to see him tackle ME/CFS….will NEVER happen.

September 14, 2009 at 9:54 am
(3) Pat Epstein says:

The commercial on television make it sound as if fibromyalgia is no worse than a cold and lyrica helps everything. I have been diagnosed 3 years ago but have been suffering for 10 years. Doctors want to believe it is in your head. I wish it were in my head. I hurt 24/7, having chronic fatique syn, doesn’t help. My Doctors want me out of the work field for fear of hurting myself or someone else. But it is only me, I need an income. My mother and a friend help me to live because social security won’t help me. yet I have worked for40 years. My husband died in 1998 and he worked forever. Now my thyroid is affected and I am Pre diabetic. I am severly depressed, there’s time I wish I could just die. Do I function as before no way, I have 18 trigger points. I see a Dr. for it and I force myself to exercise, I have seen a neurologist as I have night horrors many of which I reenact. So you see all these things are related.Ask somebody with fibro to know what it is all about. Thank you Patti

September 15, 2009 at 3:12 pm
(4) Sylvia Kalil says:

Please do a program on Fibromyalgia, i have started taking tripolene, and it is helping with pray and a right mental attitude, thank God i am not depressed and i know i will beat this condition.

September 16, 2009 at 12:37 pm
(5) Liz Gardener says:

I think everyone who has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia should read what I have to say for it may give you back your life. At the age of 30 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but probably have had since my early 20′s. I am now 38 years old and still suffering with all symtoms of Fibro, as I also have been diagnosed for possible Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Medications never helped!!! And I was told to get mental health.
A couple of years ago I was advised to see a Lymes specialist and disregarded it as a dead end street as many Fibro sufferers have seen numerous doctors to determine there condition but always with negative results – very frustrating!! Not to mention I have been tested for a basic Lymes test but always came back negative. Come to find out that this test is 98% inaccurate. After I had my son on 10/18/08 – I became very sick – always being told it was the fibro, than maybe lupus, than maybe rheumatoid arthritis, not to mention I was told I was depressed. I was getting no where!!! Once again I was told to go see a Lymes specialist – so I went out of desperation – although the blood test were expensive – I did it. I just found out recently I have Lymes disease which I have probably had for the last 15 years!! From what I understand so far – Lymes affects people differently. I justed started treatments and already starting to feel better. It may be a while before I feel completely better and hopefully some of the damage done is not permanent but for the first time in years I have hope that one day I will live a normal life!! I cannot guarantee people diagnosed with Fibro have lymes – but please get tested to be sure and talk to a Lymes specialist to get tested correctly!! I wish I did this years ago!! I’m trying to spread the word so maybe you will be able to get your life back. I could continue talking on how bad, how frustrating, how sick, how scary my life as been not knowing what is wrong with me for the last 15 years and most of you can probably relate. I’m not sure why these test are not standard – but they should be. Thank you for taking time to read and I hope you take my advice – do not wait like I did – get tested!!

September 18, 2009 at 11:56 am
(6) Tom says:

Lost the years 40-50. Tried so many treatments, detox. Every option. Lyrica and others work to some degree for some, but everyone’s chemistry is different. Until we get proper funding and a legitamate research foundation, we will all continue to suffer in silence. The hardest part is acceptance. Ten years later, I am still trying. We must re-invent ourselves, know our limits and be very careful of the cocktail of drugs prescribed to us for relief. Side effects and long term use are cause for concern. Diet, food intolerances, a simple lifestyle, moderate exercise, avoid stress and most importantly, know your physical\mental limits. Now that people are talking about this illness, it appears that it is on the increase especially when drug companies are rushing to have their existing drugs approved for use in FM\ME\CFS etc. Stay positive and good luck.

September 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm
(7) Jill says:

Since I was diagnosed in Jan 1991 I have continuously researched and tried a huge amount of varied treatments. One that has helped is Cervical Chiropractic. When my “atlas” is out in my neck I am “not a happy camper – at ALL!”. Adjusting this has made huge differences in a variety of my symptoms. Now, one thing I must note is that I started getting my Fibro symptoms right after an ice skating accident where in addition to breaking my leg, dislocating my ankle, I know I hit my head! I also had at least one previous accident where I really hit my head hard on concrete. Thus this would explain why my “atlas” is showing degeneration and gets out of whack.

January 13, 2010 at 11:36 pm
(8) Regina Machen says:

I have gone to Dr. Titlebaum’s clinic in Atlanta. I agree they seemed more knowledgable than most about how we suffer with Fibromyalgia and CFS. However, they do not accept insurance. You have to pay and try to get your insurance to reimburse you. Insurance companies will not pay for any of the supplements, some of the shots, or some of the IV charges. My first visit cost over $500 and the insurance payed $200 of it. If they could rework their costs so patients could afford it, more of us could seek this help!

February 3, 2014 at 3:26 pm
(9) Siobhan says:

Greate post. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hey there, You’ve performed ann incredible job. I will definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my
friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this wweb
site.

Here is my web page … Green Coffee Bean – <a href=”http://www.amazon.com/Hydroxycut-Hardcore-Elite-Svetol-Extract-Formula/dp/B007LAHS2K/”>Siobhan</a> -