1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Fibromyalgia: 20 Things That Help

By August 18, 2009

Fibro fog or not, I run into a lot of very smart people here! I want to share with you one of the Readers Respond comments left on my article Living with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (thanks, Linda!):

1. Good Doctor
  10. warm baths
  11. limiting "stress time" and immediately after doing something enjoyable
  12. distracting myself with hobbies
  13. getting Google news alerts on FM to keep up on the latest
  14. being more careful about body alignment - not overlifting or overextending
  15. limiting how much time i think about FM/research it
  16. focusing on the hopeful stories where people affected can learn to manage despite it
  17. thinking of the positives, like having more compassion and understanding, being forced to relax more, the learning and meeting others and new experiences because of the illness.
  18. not trying to do too much in one day - listening to my body as to energy levels
  19. more fresh air and sunshine
  20. quitting a job that was too demanding

What would you add to the list? What items on the list work for you? To see all the Readers Respond comments on this article and leave your own, go here:

Learn more or join the conversation!

NEWSLETTER | FORUM | BIO | TWITTER

Suggested Reading:

Comments
August 24, 2009 at 3:35 am
(1) Annie says:

Well I just read your list of 20 things that may be beneficial in helping FM. To my utter surprise there almost at the top of the list was Amitriptylin. I have had FM since 1994. 3 months ago my Dr suggested I take Endep for severe anxiety. To my surprise my FM has improved ALOT!!!
In all the years of searching for a drug or anything that would help no Dr has ever suggested Amitriptylin. My question is why???? It has helped me so much it is amazing. However I am still in pain most of the time. I still cannot drive a car. The way it has helped me the most….less pain, More sleep (up to 9hrs un-disturbed), less cold patches on body, less itching of skin all over body, a lot less anxiety (practically non-existant), can now tolerate being around perfumed people somewhat, and a few other things. The bad side effects are really severe constipation (finally found flax seed helps), really dry internal eye socket and really dry inside nostrils.

August 24, 2009 at 3:48 am
(2) Sarah says:

I found Amitriptylin made me 10 times worse! I was suicidal, felt tired all the time, way more sore than I was before. My doctor first prescribed it to me and I would never recommend it to anyone!

Less caffeine, hot showers, drinking lots of water and sunshine are the best things for me!

August 24, 2009 at 5:48 am
(3) greybeh says:

Looking at this list and at link that Adrienne provides, it seems the list comes from Linda, one of the posters. So, it’s not a summary for everyone. That caused me a little confusion.

August 24, 2009 at 5:49 am
(4) greybeh says:

Sorry, Adrienne, I see now that you DID say that at the top of the post. Unfortunately, my eyes were drawn to the list right away so I missed it.

August 24, 2009 at 10:01 am
(5) JL75 says:

I agree with sarah on the amitriptyline..
No 1..think this is more important than ANY meds:)
No 12..unfortunately I cant keep up the motivation for new hobbies and the ones I am interested in require 2 much concentration…more than I can muster up most days:)
No 15..definitely.. sometimes the more u research the crazier it all seems..and the fibrofog doesnt help with the confusion..
No 17..while some days its hard 2 b positive..I have just signed up with the local RSPCA and also as P&C Treasurer at my daughters school. These only a small amount of my time each month and its a way for me to TRY and re-enter society/some form of normalcy. The RSPCA is also something I am very passionate about and helping others seems to take the focus off my own problems..I also figure that these 2 organisations really need me, perhaps more than I need them, but comitting myself is hopefully a way for me to get back some of my motivation in small steps at a time..
No 20..I had to do this..against solicitors advice..but sometimes u just have to do whats right for ur health..
I personally think..no 2 people with fibro(etc..) will ever have relief from the same 1/2/3../99 things and to have a great doctor and be open to trying new things and figuring out what works best for the individual is the key..
btw..I just cant give up the caffeine..apart form the fact that I drink it out of (bad)habit(only have 2 weak ones in the AM) it helps when I have migraines and I find I drink more coffee when migraines are visiting..

August 25, 2009 at 1:30 pm
(6) Susan McIntyre says:

I think the point about amitriptylline is that there are meds which can help. Each of us will need individualized medication solutions, but we should not be afraid to take them if they help. My own meds are a different combination, but without them I am in unnecessarily excruciating pain. They at least make it bearable.

August 28, 2009 at 5:31 pm
(7) Donna says:

I am surprised the list didn’t mention pets. My dogs are what keep me going. I have 4 Yorkies and dog-sit a 5th one 2 days a week. They bring me so much happiness and I don’t think of how tired I am or how much I hurt when I am sitting petting or brushing one of my babies. Somedays I would love to just stay in bed but I know I have to get up to make sure they have food and water and to let them out to potty.
I have a sticker on my car that says Dogs are addictive but they are good for your health.
I also take medication for pain, knit, and love to design and make hair bows for dogs. I find reading very relaxing. It’s great to excape in to a good mystery.