1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Low-Dose Naltrexone for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

By June 13, 2009

TREATMENT BRIEF: Anti-Addiction Drug Shows Promise

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) is getting a lot of attention as a treatment for fibromyalgia (FMS) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or ME/CFS), as well as a host of other conditions. A normal doses, it's an anti-addiction drug, but at very low doses it acts very differently.

LDN works on the central nervous system, which is believed to be disordered in FMS and ME/CFS. It's also believed to reduce inflammation, which can be a problem in ME/CFS and with disorders that are common in people with FMS (FMS is not considered an inflammatory condition.)

An exciting thing about LDN is that it's inexpensive and already on the market. Anecdotal evidence so far is very promising, as is the first clinical trial for FMS.

Have you tried LDN? How did it work for you? Are you considering it? Leave a comment below!

__________________________

Stay up to date: subscribe to my free
and get support and information in our
__________________________

Suggested Reading:

Comments
June 13, 2009 at 1:13 am
(1) Susan says:

I take 4.5 mgs of LDN each day. I got it online without a script from Canada and instead of using a compound pharmacy i disolove the 50 mgs in water and keep it in the fridge and take 4.5 ML with a dropper.
Ive got CFIDS and FMS now here is the thing with LDN. Try it in the AM and not in the PM as suggested on the homepage because it does give you energy..but who needs energy while your asleep? Works about as good or better then other things on the market that are harmful and less effective.
Wont cost you much to give it a try and see for yourself .

March 13, 2011 at 10:03 pm
(2) glenn says:

Hi, Are you still taking LDN? I am interested very much in taking it for my fatigue. Also can you tell me where you get it from.
Thanks
Glenn

June 13, 2009 at 1:07 pm
(3) Sherry says:

I tried it for a month and I have to say that it really seems to help my fibromyalgia. I’m definitely going to continue taking it. I take the 4.5 mg. dose and was taking it before bedtime. It did seem to cause me to wake up during the night, the only side effect I noticed, so maybe I’ll try the suggestion to take it in the morning.

June 19, 2009 at 7:27 pm
(4) Andrea says:

Wow~ Now that’s a drug that sounds like it may have some possibilities! The extra energy also sounds appealing to me.
I’ve been unable to take Cymbalta & Lyrica, even Gabapentine quit working for me ( caused swelling all over). The fact that this has been on the market for some time is another plus!

June 22, 2009 at 5:04 pm
(5) Patrick Hegarty says:

I have been on LDN for approx. 2 years. It certainlyis a substantial help but is not a cure for M.E/C.F.S.

When I stopped taking LDN for a period of time, my conditions deteriorated considerably.

Would recommend that anyone with M.E/C.F.S should give LDN a fair trial.

June 26, 2009 at 11:27 am
(6) Tamra says:

Have been on 4.5mg LDN for fibromyalgia for almost a month. What a relief! So many symptoms are disappearing.

December 11, 2009 at 8:55 pm
(7) Glenda says:

I also take 4.5 mg of LDN for my Fibro and have loved the results compaired to all of the FDA approved meds that did nothing at all for me. I noticed that one post commented that they switched their dose from evening to morning. My prescribing doctor told me that I had to take the LDN in the evening anytime from 9pm to 3am, as this is when the body is most likely to absorb the med for it to able to provide the most benefits. It did interfere with my sleeping when I first started taking it, but that issue resolved itself after a few nights of taking it.Just an FYI in case someone takes it in the morning and does not seem to be reaping the benefits.

December 14, 2009 at 10:02 pm
(8) Rose says:

Can you tell me how much water to mix in with the 50 mg. Naltreone tablet? Thank you

Guide Response: Rose – please ask your pharmacist about that question, to make sure you get credible information.

January 13, 2010 at 12:08 am
(9) walt says:

If you dissolve 50mg cap content into 50 ml of water then each ml contains 1 mg of naltrexone; – so 4.5 ml would have 4.5 mg. That’s one way. You could do other dilutions.

April 9, 2010 at 5:54 pm
(10) Dee says:

can anyone let me know HOW it helps because the compounding pharmacy is holding my prescription until i make up my mind about taking it. thanx!

October 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm
(11) Ben Lowes says:

I’ve suffered CFS for nearly 9 years now and am willing to try almost anything to improve my situation. Does this really work??

November 5, 2010 at 4:13 am
(12) Gerald Leb says:

I have suffered from extreme fatigue for about 4 years, and was recently diagnosed with CFS and FM. I have been taking low dose naltrexone for about 3 weeks now, and have noticed a significant improvement in my condition. I would say at this point I have improved 20%. It does cause me to be up at night, but I am hoping that the insomnia will wear off over time. Since I am not working it is not a problem.

I am very excited that this treatment might allow me to recover enough to go back to work, but only time will tell about that.

I would recommend this treatment to anyone suffering from chronic extreme fatigue.

October 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm
(13) Zach says:

Just started taking 2 mg of LDN a few days ago for CFS. I am experiencing insomnia and headaches, but I am hoping those side effects will go away soon. Anyone else experiencing headaches along with insomnia besides Gerald?

February 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm
(14) JustMe says:

The reason this is prescribed before bed is because it briefly suppresses the release of endorphins while you are asleep Then later when one is awake the body sort of tries to play catch up and you get an extra boost of endorphins during the day, providing boosted energy and pain control when it is needed. Taking it during the day rather than at night will interfere with the timing of the positive effect it can have on your functioning

October 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm
(15) Colleen says:

Zach,
One of the side effects is headaches. Sorry to hear you are getting them. I am just getting a prescription and hope I do not experience the headaches, as I already do get migraines. I am hoping it will help with chronic fatigue. The Dr wants to monitor me as I guess I am taking at my own risk- here in Canada this drug has not had enough studies. The pharmacist was not even aware of this being taken for auto-immune issues. I learned of it through Facebook.