1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

What Allergy Medications Works Best With Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

By June 10, 2009

FACT: A lot of us with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome have seasonal allergies.

FACT: Allergy medications can make us tired and cause other side effects.

QUESTION: What allergy meds work for you? Have you found non-medicinal ways to manage your allergies?

I use Zyrtec (cetirazine), but I know it's not the best choice for everyone. To keep myself breathing well, I use saline nasal spray at least twice a day and Nasarel (flunisolide) when I'm really stuffed up. I also make sure to wash my hands and face a lot, stay inside when the lawn's been freshly mowed and try to avoid the flowers I know bother me the most.

Leave a comment below with what works for you!

__________________________

Stay up to date: subscribe to my free
and get support and information in our
__________________________

Suggested Reading:

Photo © Paul Burns/Getty Images

Comments
June 10, 2009 at 8:31 am
(1) Pam says:

I take a Benadryl each night before bed. It helps me sleep too! I use Nasonex nasal spray daily as well. I have not been bothered this spring at all!

June 10, 2009 at 9:51 am
(2) heather says:

generic claritin works well for my seasonal allergy symptoms. i would also say that it has an overall anti-inflammatory effect on my body.

June 10, 2009 at 10:14 am
(3) Nancy A. says:

Allergy meds generally either don’t work for me or have unwanted side effects. Generic Claritin (loratadine) is better than nothing for me with no side effects, so I take that.

I also use saline spray at night, especially in the winter when the air in the house is very dry from the heat.

I recently found a great product online at drugstore.com. It’s called “Nose Better”. You just apply a little bit inside and around your nose, and it’s soothing and helps you breathe better. The best part is that it’s a gel and isn’t greasy like Vick’s VapoRub (which I used to use for that purpose).

I have to admit I am somewhat allergic to my cat — but she’s staying! LOL!

June 12, 2009 at 4:05 pm
(4) Heather Jacoby says:

When allergy season hits, my ears are affected worse than anything – I actually cannot hear well at all! My allergist said I can scrap the pills.

I’m on two nasal sprays: Flonase and Astelin.

June 12, 2009 at 4:52 pm
(5) Shelly B says:

Allegra is my saving grace!! I have been on
180mg for several years and have no major problems with allergies. Before Allegra I tried several–Claritin, Zyrtec, Benedryl,
Flonase, other nose sprays, you name it.
I had allergies so bad since I was a child that I was called Kleenex girl:)

June 13, 2009 at 5:30 am
(6) Andrea says:

Funny thing I’d NEVER had allergies TO ANYTHING, but around the time I developed FMS/CFS I also developed HORRIBLE allergies.
Indoor~ Outdoor…..even to my cat that I’ve had for 17 yrs! I take prescription Allegra D 12hr. formula twice a day. Benadryl sometimes too, in addition to the Allegra.

June 13, 2009 at 10:50 am
(7) Jesse says:

I take generic zyrtec first thing in the am along with a generic mucinex to clear out the gunk from the night. As evening falls, and the zyrtec starts to wear off, I take either sudafed or benedryl with my flexeril for sleep.

June 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm
(8) soleil says:

I take Claritin during the day and Benadryl at night. They can make you sleepy though. Also, for food allergies, Nexium 40 mg in the morning and Zantac 75mg after meals work well but can cause tummy pain.

June 16, 2009 at 9:38 am
(9) wendy says:

I have to use zyrtec everyday in the evening. That is the only one that works for me. If I skip it I feel awful including nausea.
If I have a really bad day I take either sudafed or mucinex/guifenisen. Sometimes I use a nasal spray usually rhinocourt aq but only if I am really bad.