1. Health

Adrienne Dellwo

Nose Bleeds & Hemorrhoids - Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

By November 11, 2008

Fibromyalgia has a list of about 5 dozen symptoms, but I suspect that if we all compared notes we'd come up with quite a few that researchers haven't yet "discovered."

A recent study actually uncovered 3 issues those of us with fibromyalgia have more than other folks. They are:

1. Paresthesias in the upper limbs (tingling, burning or pins & needles sensations)
  2. Hemorrhoids
  3. Nose bleeds

Number 1 doesn't surprise me - a lot of us complain of odd nerve sensations like that. Numbers 2 and 3 aren't some that I would have guessed, but they certain prove how global this condition is! Researchers suspect they come from a tendency we have toward lax connective tissues.

Do you experience these "new" symptoms? Did you previously think they were part of fibromyalgia? Take the poll and leave your comments, here or in About.com's Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome community forum.

Suggested Reading:

Photo © Trinette Reed/Getty Images

Add to Technorati Favorites

Comments
November 14, 2008 at 6:58 pm
(1) Kristy says:

Foot problems including those potentially unrelated to the fibro aspect should also be on the list of symptoms.

Some of the members of a group that I am a member of thru Yahoo is trying to put together a survey that might help cause more understanding about fibro to occur.

If you would like to find out more please feel free to e-mail me back.

November 17, 2008 at 5:03 am
(2) PruJoy says:

I was diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia about 9 months ago & for the past 3 weeks I have been experiencing blood forming in my nose which is only noticeable when I feel I have to blow my nose – it is quite bright but minimal volume.

I just told my GP about it & he has referred me for a CT scan of my sinuses & to see an ENT specialist. I did mention to him that I had heard of nose bleeds & hemorrhoids occuring more often in people with Fibro but he just ignored me – as usual! I am tired of being referred to all sorts of different doctors for symptoms that are really just caused by the one condition – Fibromyalgia!

September 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm
(3) Omer says:

That’s interesting.
I have nose bleeds from the time I remember myself. I have fibromyalgia for about 3 years (I’m now 21 years-old). It seems that the nose bleeds had got worsen in those years, but I cannot be sure about that.
Anyway, as I said, I have nose bleeds all my life. Everytime people who don’t know me ask “is it because of the hot weather” – but the answer is absolutely no. It’s in the summer, in the winter, in hot days and in cold days. Once a doctor tried to burn some vessels in my nose in order to stop me from having those bleedings, but it didn’t help.

I remember that when I finally got to 2 rheumatologists (who were the first to diagnose me with fibromyalgia) I had a few pages on which I have written my symptoms. One of the things I’ve written was the nose bleeds (mentioning, I think, that they are not new). I don’t remember if I told the doctors about that eventually or not – but I remember that I felt somewhat embarrased to talk about such a thing which seems unrelated, and I also think that perhaps at least one of them wanted me to move on when I talked about the nose bleeds (but than again – I’m not even sure that I’ve talked about it).

September 11, 2010 at 3:15 pm
(4) Sita says:

That’s really interesting. Unfortunately, I deal with all three…kinda.

I haven’t had a bloody nose since I was a kid but man, when I was younger (grade school age) I had chronic nosebleeds. They were almost to the point of being funny because I’d get them so often. I have a memory of one that was really bad and I got sent to the nurse, stayed there until it was done, walk 1/2 way to class and have to turn around and head back to the nurse because my nose started bleeding again. I think this kept up for about an hour or so. Quite the day for me!

My pediatrician did consider burning some vessels in my nose but luckily they stopped before he seriously considered it.

Now that I’m “older” (mid thirties), I have problems with hemorrhoids but they aren’t too horrible. I do deal with the tingling in the arms but that might be made worse due to the fact that I have Thorasic Outlet Syndrome.

September 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm
(5) Dusty says:

Hi!… I’m a 61 yr. old gramma who has had Fibro. & CFS all my life. Or, so I’ve been told. Have ALL the symptoms mentioned including nosebleeds. Had alot of them as a kid. Seems like every week or so. Never saw a doctor,then. But, they went away for a large part of my life until about 7 yrs. ago when I woke in the nite with a doozey of a bleed! Tried to stop it on my own,but, couldn’t. Since then, I’ve had 6 or 7 nosebleeds that required me to see the emergency room where I’ve been stuffed, suctioned……& cauterized way up inside at least twice. The right nostril is the worse & remains sore with scar-tissue & achy ALL the time. The last cautery left me close to incapacitated. Very scary! And I was advised to see a nose,throat & ear specialist. Haven’t as yet because I broke my leg last Jan. which has kept me quite “busy”, to say the least. Oh,yea…..my last nosebleed was in February. I had to get to the emergency room hobbling along on one leg & in a wheelchair….covered in blood! The whole thing IS NO FUN!!! :(

April 16, 2011 at 8:09 am
(6) Jane says:

I’m fifteen and I’ve had fibro for about three years now. I’m really glad I found this article because I’ve been a little scared of the thought of having hemmorhoids at my age. Haven’t yet gone to a doctor, but knowing that it’s common makes me feel quite a bit better! Of course it would turn out to be yet another fibro symptom(:

September 2, 2013 at 2:44 am
(7) 2013 All Star Jerseys says:

If you get hold of most of these game day cycling tops at a multi function normal store or at best back and forth from the official website concerning an NFL team,youcheapjerseysaleonline2013comment may or may not take the time if that’s so even more than $100.

September 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(8) genesee says:

Whenever I come up with another question or frustration or NEED with Fibro, I find your website pop up AGAIN! Props to you, hunny for doing such a great job on this! I know you have paid the price but you have done something QUITE well with it :) purposeful…awesome.

I started on the guaifenesin protocol on 8/15/13, after reaching my idontevenknow how many flares it had become…….COMPLETE and TOTAL desperation. I REALLY didn’t want to do the protocol bc the thought of asking for MORE pain after everything I had already been through made me want to vomit. But, no choice…I’ve been bedridden for over 6 weeks now, minus a couple of times where I used my cane to get to my kid’s soccer games (3) and church (1) oh and to see Dr. St. Amand (2). I feel like I have this weird view of seeing life without me because I really do feel hardly alive.

Back to the nosebleeds: never had em, have had at least 10 of them and they soak multiple clusters of tissues, clotty, too! Super clotty. So nasty. Glad to see a post about it because I was thinking it was time to go in. I just can’t believe how many systems and symptoms this includes.

January 17, 2014 at 11:37 pm
(9) louise hay hemorrhoids says:

Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my web site so i got here to go back the favor?.I am attempting
to in finding issues to enhance my website!I guess its ok to use
a few of your concepts!!